• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Students With Disabilities Rights

In summary, a parent discusses their frustration with their child's school district regarding their son's absences due to type 1 diabetes and a hernia surgery. They are considering changing their son's IEP to a 504 plan and are feeling harassed by the district's truancy letters. The parent also shares their husband's response to a question about getting their son to school and mentions the difficulty of dealing with a child with disabilities. Another parent gives advice on asserting one's rights and seeking help from higher authorities in similar situations.
lockhartkitchen
My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in November, and then 5 months later was in the hospital having surgery on a hernia. He has missed a lot of school due to both of these. We are looking at dropping his IEP for writing and changing to a 504, to protect US and him.

I am getting nasty letters from the district truency because he has been absent several days in the last two weeks. He woke up with below 80 blood sugar and we had trouble getting it back up. Long story short; I work for this school district yet I'm feeling attacked and stressed. I have students who only show up 4 days a week regularly, yet they're not being contacted.

Our frustration came out in my husband's last email response to "What can we do to help get xxx to school?" "Cure his diabetes!!" When you have a child with disabilities it is hard enough without feeling guilty. At this point we feel we are being harrassed. When my son returns to school each time, teachers are making comments to him about "you need to be in school, etc." I am a teacher , so I can understand their frustration. Try living with it!

Have you sent a note with him each time just to let the teacher know each time why he was out. Not just he was sick. Explain it. I have a mom that likes to tell me the color of her sons vomit. I never asked why he was out but she may have felt the more I knew the happier I would be that he wasn't under my care while sick.

Also your son may feel like he is being given a hard time when the teacher may just want to let him know she wants him at school and missed him.

I know it is hard being a teacher with kids you always wonder what the teacher thinks you are doing when different things come up because you know how you would react.

Also talk to the truency officer and find out exactly what notes they need on file from the Dr.

Hope that helps

You DO have alot of rights! First of all, tell them you are going over their
heads. Everyone of his classes should have certain foods for him, he should be allowed to go to the bathroom whenever he needs to. If the teachers continue to make remarks...report them! You didn't say how old he is, If old enough, he is allowed to check his sugar whenever he feels he needs to. A good friend went through what you are & she went to everyone...Civil Rights,higher school board members & MOST important the ADA! My friend even got an email from Mary Tyler Moore. They will MORE than help you in anyway possible. One day he needed insulin, went to the nurses office, she was not in that day & the nurses aide was out to lunch & his medicine was LOCKED UP! My friend told them he would not be back to school until they did something. I sure hope this helps you, because no one should have to go through what you are....:)

What are the rights of students with disabilities in the education system?

Students with disabilities have the right to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment. This means that they have the right to receive accommodations and support services that will allow them to access and participate in the same educational opportunities as their non-disabled peers.

What is an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and who is eligible for one?

An IEP is a written document outlining the specific educational goals and accommodations for a student with a disability. It is created by a team of educational professionals and the student's parents or guardians. Students with disabilities who require special education services and support are eligible for an IEP.

What is a 504 plan and how is it different from an IEP?

A 504 plan is a written document outlining the necessary accommodations and supports for a student with a disability in a general education setting. It is created by a team of educational professionals and the student's parents or guardians. Unlike an IEP, a 504 plan does not require the student to receive special education services, but rather provides accommodations to help them access the same educational opportunities as their non-disabled peers.

What should I do if I suspect my child has a disability?

If you suspect your child has a disability, you should contact your child's school and express your concerns. The school will then conduct an evaluation to determine if your child is eligible for special education services. As a parent, you have the right to request an evaluation at any time.

What can I do if I feel my child's rights are not being respected in their education?

If you feel your child's rights are not being respected in their education, you can request a meeting with the school's special education team to discuss your concerns. You can also reach out to a special education advocate or seek legal counsel to help you navigate the process and advocate for your child's rights.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pamperedalf