• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dixon Successfully Has Records Sealed

In summary, Robert W. Dixon successfully petitioned to have a judge seal a public case file related to charges of domestic violence against his then-wife, Paige Dixon. The sealed status of the case file means the incident essentially never happened in the eyes of the law, and the matter won’t turn up in routine background checks.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Birgfeld’s ex-husband gets domestic violence case sealed

Link: http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/birgfelds_exhusband_gets_domes/

By Paul Shockley
Tuesday, August 3, 2010

An ex-husband of missing Grand Junction woman Paige Birgfeld successfully petitioned Tuesday to have a judge seal a public case file related to domestic-violence charges.

Robert W. Dixon was granted a petition to seal a file relating to his Oct. 12, 2005, arrest on misdemeanor charges of child abuse and third-degree assault against his then-wife, Paige Dixon.

The petition was approved by Chief District Judge David Bottger during a hearing Tuesday.

Rob Dixon pleaded guilty to misdemeanor harassment and was sentenced to a deferred judgment, which, among other things, means defendants can ask a judge to seal the records if they stay out of trouble and successfully complete their sentence.

The sealed status of the case file means the incident essentially never happened in the eyes of the law, and the matter won’t turn up in routine background checks. Court staff at the Mesa County Justice Center on Tuesday wouldn’t acknowledge the case’s existence.

Frank Birgfeld greeted news of his former son-in-law’s legal move with anger Tuesday.

“It’s an interesting concept that those in judiciary feel it is within their power to rewrite history,” Birgfeld said. “I wish the judge had the power to make certain things involving Paige never happen. Maybe I can file a petition or get a prominent Denver lawyer to get that done.”

Birgfeld said he suspects he knows how Dixon paid an attorney to address the issue. “He asked for child support, and I’m paying it out of Paige’s estate,” Birgfeld said.

Scott Robinson, a Denver-based attorney who represented Dixon in unrelated matters, said he wasn’t retained to seal Dixon’s case file.

“Good,” Robinson said when told of Dixon’s move. “This was sort of one of those loose ends I had encouraged him to tie up. I’ve always felt the underlying charges were totally bogus.”

Attempts to reach Dixon at his home in Pennsylvania were unsuccessful Tuesday.

According to an arrest affidavit, Dixon denied any physical contact with his wife during the October 2005 incident, acknowledging only that they argued after she told him she had been performing topless massages. Paige Dixon told deputies that her husband had pushed her to the ground before slapping her on her shoulder and punching her in the throat as she held a child, the affidavit said.

Dixon, a former treasurer of the Grand Junction Rural Fire Protection District, was the focus of an investigation by a Mesa County grand jury looking at the investment of millions of public dollars into a New York-based Internet firm. The grand jury declined indictments.

Paige Birgfeld was reported missing in June 2007, and the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department cleared her ex-husbands, including Dixon, of involvement months later.

A Mesa County magistrate awarded custody of Paige Birgfeld’s three children to Dixon.

“Rob has been very generous in allowing us to have the children during school breaks, Christmas and other holidays,” Frank Birgfeld said.

that's just bogus. Disturbing.

Thanks KG for keeping us up to date.

Wow. Just Wow.

That's what friends in high places will get you.:grumpy:

Further heartbreak for the Birgfields and further proof what a scum this guy is.

How horrible! Her poor family. :(

Paige has not yet been declared deceased right? Do they still do that automatically after 7 years? I know it is a morbid thought but, maybe as that time gets nearer, something will come to light. I just keep hoping something will happen for that family to put this all to rest.

That's just wrong that they can do that in ANY domestic case. Just as with child-abusers, domestic violence should remain public record if he was convicted and guilty. If he didn't want it to be an issue in his life, he shouldn't have assaulted her in the first place.

That's not just wrong; it's obscene.

Wow. I'm in Colorado right now. Shall I hit him with my car?

(Really shouldn't, it's a rental and I can't afford someone to go against his high priced lawyer ...)

Absolutely disgusting. I am sick to my stomach. I hope he rots in hell.

Intrepid_Chef said:
Wow. I'm in Colorado right now. Shall I hit him with my car?

(Really shouldn't, it's a rental and I can't afford someone to go against his high priced lawyer ...)

He's in Philadelphia, anyway.

That makes me ill...and angry! I remember Paige sharing how she was afraid of her ex in one of her posts. Ditto on Carolyn's post!

I agree! That is just so wrong on so many levels! If anyone, a perspective new boss, the police or anyone doing a back round check on this guy, will not see this and he skates through without any problem! What if he were to apply as a care giver or teacher or janitor at a school or some such thing where he would work with people, um this means anywhere, and he gets POd to the point of turning on someone, they would have no idea what he did and hire him and well, you can imagine what I am thinking! That is the same to me as erasing the criminal record of a child molester and having someone hire him as a janitor at an elementary school! These people should be shot! They have no idea how many people they may be putting in danger! Unbelievable! And Carolyn, you are right - he needs to rot in Hell but will that happen before he puts someone else through hell?

Wow. What a shame.

I still believe that sooner or later this case will be solved....and that there are at least two involved: the one who did it and the one who arranged it. (Those of you who were here the, know exactly what I'm thinking.) :grumpy:

We know legacy! God Forbid, Dixon should have gotten HIS hands dirty!

You're not alone in that theory, Leggy, believe me.In every conspiracy, sooner or later, someone talks.

Do you really think it may really be solved some day KG? We have a little girl that disappeared, I want to say almost 10 years ago on her way to school. Her father dropped her off in the morning and she was never in class. It is considered a cold case at this point and well, no signs of anything for her family to hold out hope for either. I really truly hope that Paige has a better ending in store for her family. and do not get me wrong, I am still sending out prayers of hope.

I think I know the case you're talking about and it is truly a sad one. In Paige's case - people (think they) pretty much know what happened, people (think they) pretty much know who did it, and people (think they) know who else is involved. Time will tell.

John, I think the disappearance of children can be so hard to solve, because they are often taken at random. In Paige's case, I don't think there was anything random about it. So so sad.
leggy

legacypc46 said:
Wow. What a shame.

I still believe that sooner or later this case will be solved....and that there are at least two involved: the one who did it and the one who arranged it. (Those of you who were here the, know exactly what I'm thinking.) :grumpy:

Yep - I agree completely.

1. How does the process of sealing records work?

The process of sealing records involves filing a petition with the court to have your criminal records sealed. You will need to provide proof that you have completed all of the requirements of your sentence and that you have not committed any new crimes since then. The court will review your petition and make a decision to either approve or deny it.

2. What are the benefits of sealing records?

Sealing your criminal records can have many benefits, including making it easier to find employment, housing, and education opportunities. It can also help you avoid discrimination and stigmatization due to your past mistakes. Additionally, sealing your records can provide you with a sense of closure and a fresh start.

3. Can all types of criminal records be sealed?

No, not all types of criminal records can be sealed. Generally, only non-violent misdemeanor and felony convictions can be sealed. Some states also allow for certain types of felony convictions to be sealed, such as drug offenses. It is important to check with your state's laws and regulations regarding record sealing.

4. How long does the process of sealing records take?

The time it takes to seal your records can vary depending on your state's laws and the complexity of your case. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year for the court to review and make a decision on your petition. It is important to be patient and follow up with the court if necessary.

5. Will sealing my records completely erase my criminal history?

No, sealing your records does not completely erase your criminal history. Your records will still be accessible to certain governmental agencies, such as law enforcement and courts. However, for most purposes, your records will be considered as if they never existed, and you can legally state that you have not been convicted of a crime.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • The_Kitchen_Guy