• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with Full-Time Work & Direct Selling: Seeking Advice

In summary, Kelli is considering quitting her full-time job to focus on her personal cookbook business. However, she worries about how she will balance her business and personal life. She recommends prioritizing what's important to you and your family and figuring out if it is worth it to stay in the business.
krhodes74
I just wanted to see if any of you do this and if you have any success with it. I work a very stressful FULL time job. It seems like every day I have more and more to do. However this makes me very tired. I am just wondering if I go to Catalog Shows only and I do maybe 1-2 Cooking Shows a month, if it will be worth it to stay in the business?
I know that you all are the place to look for help. I know we are all busy and have schedules and things do to. I just feel like everything else i getting let go of including my sanity. And tips will be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kelli :(

Well, as someone who takes on too much, this is my advice:
Prioritize what's important to you and your family.

For me, I was working OT after work and on the weekends which left very little time for PC and for my sweet hubby. I decided to cut way back on it during the week and cut it out completely during the weekend unless we really needed the money that week/month.

It's hard to say no for a lot of people, but you need to learn how if you're going to stay sane!

Is your job throwing stuff on you that really isn't your job?
When you leave work, have you left work or do you bring it home with you?

For some people, PC is the stress releiver they need from their weekly job. For some (myself included) it's a potential way to stop working their FT job.

So in closing - LOL
I think you need to figure out what you want your PC business to be, what can you say no to, can you leave work at the front door and what's important to you?

I teach full time, and what you have described is pretty much how I've run my business from the start. (a little over a year and a half now). Of course my income isn't sky-high but it provides a little mad money for me and I still get lots of cool toys to play with!!! I have never had any intention of this taking over as my "full time job" so I guess it really depends on what your expectations are. As for "Is it worth it?" for the me the answer is definitely YES!

I work full time and some months only do 1-2 shows a month (some months more). I basically let my calendar fill however full it can get. Catalog shows are like free money or insurance shows. I found that offering an incentive will help your host get to a great start. I offer a free gift (usually a mini serving spatula) if they give me 5 orders within a week of starting their show.

I find that by just doing catalog shows, I struggle for bookings. It is easier to work more then it is to work less!

Oh, I can SO relate to your post.But "only" 1 or 2 live shows and the rest catalog? I count myself fortunate if I can get 1 or 2 live shows in a month, catty shows aside!The vast majority of my shows have been catalog. They've also had better average sales, ranging from $300 to $450.But I only got one booking from all of them, and I've been struggling to reach the alleged hostess in question.For me, the time crunch comes in making calls. By the time I get home from work and do something about dinner, it is often too late to call.

Only you can decide if it is "worth it". At first I was doing 4-5 shows a month and a few cattys. I have since cut back to about 2 shows a month and as many cattys as I can find. I don't make a ton of money but my commission from last month is buying us an upright freezer that we want and couldn't purchase otherwise. PLUS I get to earn prods for free:sing: . So for me at this point - yes it is worth it. My baby is due the end of April... will it be worth it to me after that??...only time will tell.

You just need to decide what you want out of your business and if it is more stressful to keep it going or if you enjoy what you get out of it.

You are all thinking what I am thinking. It is worth it when I get the extra $200-400 checks in some months. But it isn't worth it when I don't know how to say NO. I have to work on that. I just have to say this is what I have open and that is it. I need to remind myself it is my business and I work it like I want to. If I only want to do one a week I only do one a week, instead of worrying about not complying to there needs. I have to quit, cause I am working myself to death and making my husband not like me very much.
thanks so much for the support.

krhodes74 said:
You are all thinking what I am thinking. It is worth it when I get the extra $200-400 checks in some months. But it isn't worth it when I don't know how to say NO. I have to work on that. I just have to say this is what I have open and that is it. I need to remind myself it is my business and I work it like I want to. If I only want to do one a week I only do one a week, instead of worrying about not complying to there needs. I have to quit, cause I am working myself to death and making my husband not like me very much.
thanks so much for the support.
What I have done to help me control my calendar the way I want it is to mark my open days with a pink sticky note. Then as they fill up, I move days if I don't want to do back to back shows or another obligation came up. If you only want to do 1-2 shows per month start with maybe 4 dates that are marked. Let your guests know that you only have a limited amount of days available (you don't have to tell they WHY) and if they want a party, they better book soon. Then if you have filled a certain month you can offer a catalog show or offer the next month.

Your situation sounds just like mine. I am worn out at the end of my long day. BUT I would not give up my PC job. I love the products & I am having fun w/it. I work 6days a week so it is hard for me to do many cooking shows & I do alot of catalog shows. If you enjoy it the keep doing it.

Remember, this is "your business,your way." Generally speaking, cooking show sales will always be higher....but catalog shows are definitely less 'work.'

Do what works for you right now. The wonderful thing is that when you are ready to step up your cooking shows, you can. :)

This is what I've been doing for the last 6 months (except for November when I had *5* cooking shows - I just about died!) - it works if you're good at booking shows at your shows, and can hand the host a packet right then and there, set the date to close the catty show, and follow up, follow up, follow up!! GL!

1. How can I balance my full-time job with my direct selling business?

Balancing a full-time job and direct selling business can be challenging, but it is possible with some organization and time management. One tip is to create a schedule and stick to it, setting aside specific times for both your job and your direct selling tasks. Additionally, utilize technology and social media to help streamline your direct selling efforts and communicate with customers. Finally, prioritize your tasks and focus on the most important ones first.

2. Is it possible to be successful in direct selling while working a full-time job?

Yes, it is certainly possible to be successful in direct selling while working a full-time job. Many direct sellers have been able to balance both and achieve success. It may require some extra effort and time management, but with dedication and hard work, it is achievable.

3. How do I handle conflicts between my job and my direct selling business?

If conflicts arise between your job and direct selling business, it is important to communicate openly and honestly with both parties. If possible, try to find a compromise or a solution that works for everyone. If necessary, consider adjusting your schedule or delegating certain tasks to a team member or partner.

4. What are some ways to make the most out of my limited time for direct selling?

One way to make the most out of your limited time for direct selling is to focus on tasks that will have the biggest impact on your business. This could include following up with potential customers, promoting your products on social media, or planning events. You can also try to incorporate direct selling tasks into your daily routine, such as making calls or sending emails during your commute.

5. How can I stay motivated and avoid burnout while juggling both a job and direct selling business?

To stay motivated and avoid burnout, it is important to set realistic goals and celebrate your successes, no matter how small they may seem. Surround yourself with a supportive network of friends and fellow direct sellers who can offer encouragement and advice. Don't be afraid to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout. Remember why you started your direct selling business and keep your passion and enthusiasm for it alive.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Alora Rueth
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Julie Henne
  • northern_sunshine
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
  • wildrose4420