• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling to Balance Life & Business: My September Dilemma

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's busy schedule for the month of September and their struggle to accommodate all the requests for shows. The speaker considers offering catalog shows or a "mega-show" where multiple hosts are invited to one location. They also mention the possibility of a potential host signing on as a consultant. The conversation ends with the suggestion of booking shows for October instead.
angmillar
Okay, I never thought this would happen to me... at least not this fast.

Anyway, here's my problem. I'm just about totally booked for September. We don't arrive back on Okinawa until 9 September, and I now have 9 cooking shows and 2 catalog shows from the 11th until the end of the month. (I'm doing at least 1 here in the states the first week of September, but I'm not counting that one.)

I'm doing a social for my other home based business (I'm a Longaberger constulant, too) one evening. My husband is an air evac nurse, so he's going to be flying a few evenings. And, my 2 year old is starting pre-school.

So, I really can't do any more shows this month. I sooooooooo hate to tell people I can't do them. So, what do I do if someone else asks? Do I encourage a catalog show??

I just hate to miss out on live shows, ya know?! The sales, the bookings, everything seems to be better. But, I have to have sometime with my family, too!

UGH!

I would definetely offer them a catalog show. Or, I have never done one, but I have heard of mega-shows, where you have one location, such as a social hall, and have a number of hosts invite their guests. There might be more information on the threads somewhere.

One time, when my director had no more space on her calendar, she told the person who wanted to host that she should just sign up and do the shows herself - what did she have to lose? That person signed!

OR - you could offer a "mega-show" - where you have several hosts all at the same location - do a search for mega show and you will find alot of info.

Well, actually, I just sent an email to one gal that is hosting in September. She's been thinking about signing on for a while, but she's just not sure about it. She's hosted quite a few shows, knows a lot about the products, and would do FANTASTIC as a consultnat. She's hosting in September in order to get the new SS cookware. So, I emailed her about the pan-o-rama and told her that she'd have two shows already (hers and a friend of hers that's on my calendar).

Wouldn't it be nice if she signed!??!

As for the other idea... I hadn't even thought of a mega-show. Thanks! I'm going to research it now...

I would 1. offer a mega show, 2. try to get that host to sign before her show, 3. double book yourself on any dates that feel might not hold (and, if #2 goes through, make sure she has those dates available), and 4. give any double-booked shows where both hold to the new recruit. That, and catalog shows,

angmillar said:
Okay, I never thought this would happen to me... at least not this fast.

Anyway, here's my problem. I'm just about totally booked for September. We don't arrive back on Okinawa until 9 September, and I now have 9 cooking shows and 2 catalog shows from the 11th until the end of the month. (I'm doing at least 1 here in the states the first week of September, but I'm not counting that one.)

I'm doing a social for my other home based business (I'm a Longaberger constulant, too) one evening. My husband is an air evac nurse, so he's going to be flying a few evenings. And, my 2 year old is starting pre-school.

So, I really can't do any more shows this month. I sooooooooo hate to tell people I can't do them. So, what do I do if someone else asks? Do I encourage a catalog show??

I just hate to miss out on live shows, ya know?! The sales, the bookings, everything seems to be better. But, I have to have sometime with my family, too!

UGH!

Offer Oct Shows!!! If they want the September cookware special then let them know that your booked but you can do a catalog shows for them!!! I am in the same situation as far as my calender is booked!!!!

This may be the first time in a year, but if I get one or two more shows in September, I will be booked too!!! Now, I only have 1 cooking and 1 catty for October so obviously I would be shooting for then. It's a good sign to people wanting to have a show, that your shows are so much fun that you're already booked! It makes them want to have one even more I think!

The other thing that you can do is put post it notes on the dates you want to book and once those are gone then you moved to the next month.

Try to book into Oct and remind them of the Host Rewards - the half price combinations in the back of catalog - both stainless and executive cookware sets are back therefor 1/2 price plus they could get the host special for Oct.

ChefChris said:
Try to book into Oct and remind them of the Host Rewards - the half price combinations in the back of catalog - both stainless and executive cookware sets are back therefor 1/2 price plus they could get the host special for Oct.

Great idea, that would also motivate them to get higher sales as well...more 1/2 off items!

Great job on getting your calendar so full!!:D :D

This is the first time that I have been in this situation since my first month, and I'm loving it!!:thumbup: I made up my mind that I was going to do as much as I possibly could from now until the end of the year. So, after listening to some cd's I took the advice and took control of my calendar. I offer 2 time slots on Saturdays so that I can double book. It is working!! I still have some empty slots on the weeknights, but even they are starting to fill in. As is October, and now even November! I think it is true, that the busier you are, the more people want to book with you! I just hope I can keep up the momentum!;)

I didn't even think about double booking Saturday shows.... and, I actually have one at 10 AM, so I could easily do an evening show as well.

GREAT IDEAS EVERYONE!! You guys are helping me soooo much. I already have 3 cooking shows on the books for October, so maybe I'll start filling in the other October dates, too.

I pray I can keep this momentum going... :)

amy07 said:
Great job on getting your calendar so full!!:D :D

This is the first time that I have been in this situation since my first month, and I'm loving it!!:thumbup: I made up my mind that I was going to do as much as I possibly could from now until the end of the year. So, after listening to some cd's I took the advice and took control of my calendar. I offer 2 time slots on Saturdays so that I can double book. It is working!! I still have some empty slots on the weeknights, but even they are starting to fill in. As is October, and now even November! I think it is true, that the busier you are, the more people want to book with you! I just hope I can keep up the momentum!;)

Once I start back to shows in November after having my baby in Oct., I plan on having 2 shows available on Saturdays. I figure it'll be easier to do Sat shows than tons of weeknight shows with a newborn & toddler & so I can actually SEE my DH once in awhile!

That's my thing, too. I actually want to see my husband once in a while!!

BTW, I have a 2 year old and a 9 month old, so I totally know where you're coming from having a newborn and a toddler!!!

I had always steered away from weekend shows bc I wanted to be with my family, then my director told me that she blocks one weekend a month to work. She schedules a Fri night show, 2 Sat shows, & a Sun afternoon show. Then she just schedules weekday (preferably during the day) shows around her schedule (at least one each week). That gives her at least 8 shows a month! I haven't accomplished it yet, but I am trying! I had a really slow summer, so I am really having to work for my bookings!

I wish I had that problem:D

Now, I did have that problem in June - 10 live shows booked, but only 2 held. HOST COACH THEM LIKE CRAZY!!! I do suggest taking one block of time a week (mine is 7-9pm Wednesday nights) and do ALL your host coaching calls at that time. That way you get it all done and you don't have to try to remember if you contacted so and so...etc.

pamperedtara said:
I had always steered away from weekend shows bc I wanted to be with my family, then my director told me that she blocks one weekend a month to work. She schedules a Fri night show, 2 Sat shows, & a Sun afternoon show. Then she just schedules weekday (preferably during the day) shows around her schedule (at least one each week). That gives her at least 8 shows a month! I haven't accomplished it yet, but I am trying! I had a really slow summer, so I am really having to work for my bookings!
I like the idea of booking one weekend solid... then you feel like you have the rest of the weekends of the month to enjoy with family. I'll have to run that by my dh and see what he thinks. I am kind of in the same boat for Sept--out of town until the 5th and then I have 10 kitchen shows booked, only like one that I am questioning whether it will hold or not (invites already mailed for like 5 of them), and 5 catalog shows.

Another idea, if they really want the 60% off cookware, get them to do October, use a half price item towards cookware, then offer them the additional 10% off out of your pocket as a thank you for being flexible.

Wishing the full calendar fairy would swirl her wand my way...:rolleyes:

Sept. is turning out to be CRAZY! I've got 7 cooking and 4 catalog shows. I also just got home to an email from a past host, asking if she could do a catty show in Sept or Oct. OF COURSE! DUH!!!

It's a little scary b/c I have NOTHING for October yet....ZILCH!:confused:

Do the 10 min BBQ Pork Tenderloin at your Sept shows & I bet your Oct fills up just as quickly for the DCB host special.

With that many shows for September, you are bound to have a great October!

At least that's what I'm hoping because I only have 1 cooking and 1 catty for October so far.

Full Calendar?I work full-time as a teacher and I'm a mother of three. I too, have a full schedule for September and only 2 available dates in October. I'm using the new theme shows to really build interests in future shows. I believe when I tell people my schedule is full for the next two months, they will want to book now for November and December so they too can hold a cooking show with me. If the current host benefits are what they want, I will encourage a catalog show and have them book a cooking show before the six months is out, so they can take advantage of double host 60% off.

My Calander for September is completely full too! I have 8 cooking shows scheduled and two catalog shows - one of which I already have about $70 in orders come in. I can't do anymore in Sept, because I am pregnant and due in October, plus I still have to chase after my other three kids (3, 4 and 6) I have one more date left to book in October and then I'm taking a break from cooking shows until towards the end of November.

A great idea my upline director had though was to offer all those who still want September or who want shows for while I'm taking my break is to offer them the chance to catalog shows and as long as they reach a certain $ value turn them to cooking shows, so they get the extra product value.

ChefHarri said:
A great idea my upline director had though was to offer all those who still want September or who want shows for while I'm taking my break is to offer them the chance to catalog shows and as long as they reach a certain $ value turn them to cooking shows, so they get the extra product value.

I believe that technically we are not supposed to do that (turn a catalog show into a cooking show). I have all my catalog hosts cook something simple using pampered chef products and take it to work so that I'm able to turn their catalog shows into cooking shows.

tlennhoff said:
I believe that technically we are not supposed to do that (turn a catalog show into a cooking show). I have all my catalog hosts cook something simple using pampered chef products and take it to work so that I'm able to turn their catalog shows into cooking shows.

That is a great idea Tasha! OR - you could bake something and take it in to their workplace and just say hello to everyone!
I have found that when I can actually meet and talk to the people for even just a minute or two - they feel the personal connection, and are more likely to consider me "Their Consultant".

I can't take credit for the idea, I suspect it was beth or ann or one of our other frequent knowledgable posters. Its worked great for my friends as most of them our out-of-state but they all own something pampered chef.

That is a good idea!!!

And, since I started this thread, I've booked a few more shows. I'm up to 10 cooking and 3 catty for Sept. and 4 cooking in Oct. Whew!

I'm really going to concentrate on adding to my team, so when this continues, I can share some bookings if needed. =)

angmillar said:
And, since I started this thread, I've booked a few more shows. I'm up to 10 cooking and 3 catty for Sept. and 4 cooking in Oct. Whew!

Fantastic, go you. :D

ChefHarri said:
My Calander for September is completely full too! I have 8 cooking shows scheduled and two catalog shows - one of which I already have about $70 in orders come in. I can't do anymore in Sept, because I am pregnant and due in October, plus I still have to chase after my other three kids (3, 4 and 6) I have one more date left to book in October and then I'm taking a break from cooking shows until towards the end of November.

Sorry to hijack a little...Heather, when are you due? I'm due on October 13 with #2. I have 4 cooking & 2 catalog shows in September right now. Right now my last ones are the 21st & 22nd. I'm not sure how far into September to go--don't want my water breaking during a show! I'm thinking maybe the 27th. Catalog shows only for all of October. Then I have 4 people who want November shows already! I haven't set dates yet b/c I'm not sure how soon I'll want to go back, but I may start as early as Nov 1 or 3. I don't want to not do shows for too long & have to end up starting all over again!

Unless you do a demo of some sort you can't call it a cooking show.

Once I did a long distance show and the host made PC recipes in PC products and invited friends over and had me on the phone answering questions and giving tips. On the advice of a couple of director friends (I was a new consultant then) but against the advice of my director I called it a cooking show. I felt (as the DF's said) that I spent time with the guests during the show and the host did the physical part of it so it could be legitimately called a cooking show. Looking back though, I feel like I had to do too much justifying so I probably shouldn't have done that.

You have to look into your heart and decide what is going too far or not.

When I have a local catalog show and the host is doing a great job I will tell her to invite a friend or 2 over and we'll do a quick demo - I'll show them some products in person - THEN I will give them credit for a cooking show to reward their efforts.

1st - $15 extra in products makes it a cooking show (everything else stays the same) The amount I'm asking my catalog show hosts to get is $400 to $500 - obviously I'm not going to be out that much and I won't be driving to shows, so I'll be saving on gas.

pamperedgirl3 - I'm due Oct. 19. I am doing shows through Oct. 9. I pretty regularly deliver about 6-7 days before my due date, so I should be good. Plus the only hosts I'm doing in that 1st week in Oct. are really good friends who know when I'm due, so if something happpens they are just doing catalog show. I plan to go back to doing show the 2nd or third week in November.

ChefHarri said:
1st - $15 extra in products makes it a cooking show (everything else stays the same) The amount I'm asking my catalog show hosts to get is $400 to $500 - obviously I'm not going to be out that much and I won't be driving to shows, so I'll be saving on gas.

pamperedgirl3 - I'm due Oct. 19. I am doing shows through Oct. 9. I pretty regularly deliver about 6-7 days before my due date, so I should be good. Plus the only hosts I'm doing in that 1st week in Oct. are really good friends who know when I'm due, so if something happpens they are just doing catalog show. I plan to go back to doing show the 2nd or third week in November.
If you are paying the $15 yourself then it is still a catalog show to PC and there is no problem! You can do what you want to enhance the benefits to your host!

I was talking about changing a catalog show to a cooking show on PP or P3 and PC providing that benefit.

Sorry I misunderstood you.

Thanks! The only thing is that it's hard for me to do a lot of host coaching from here. The time difference is 13 hours, so I haven't called very much.

That being said, I'm setting my clock here in Kentucky for 6 AM tomorrow, so I can get up and make those host calls. It'll be 7 PM in Oki, which is the usual time I make them.

1. How do I balance my personal life and my business when I have a busy schedule?

Balancing personal life and business can be a challenge, especially when you have a packed schedule. One way to manage this is by setting boundaries and prioritizing your time. Make a schedule or to-do list and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you have time for both work and family.

2. What should I do if I am already booked for the entire month?

If you are already booked for the entire month, it's important to communicate this to potential clients. Let them know that you are fully booked and unable to take on any more shows at this time. You can offer to schedule a show for a later date or suggest a catalog show instead.

3. How do I handle requests for shows during a busy month?

If someone asks for a show during a busy month, it's important to be honest and let them know that you are unable to accommodate their request at this time. You can offer them a catalog show or suggest a later date for a live show. Remember to prioritize your time and don't overbook yourself.

4. Is it okay to encourage a catalog show instead of a live show during a busy month?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to suggest a catalog show instead of a live show during a busy month. Catalog shows can be just as successful as live shows and allow you to still make sales and generate bookings without taking up too much of your time. You can also offer incentives for hosting a catalog show to make it more appealing for your clients.

5. How can I balance my business with family time?

Balancing business with family time is all about setting boundaries and prioritizing your time. Make sure to schedule in dedicated family time and stick to it. It's also important to communicate with your family and let them know your schedule so they understand your availability. Remember to take breaks and make time for self-care as well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Candice
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
flemings99
  • Kisha1210
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Kisha1210
Replies