• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Strawberry Spinach Salad - Your Thoughts?

In summary, the Strawberry Spinach Salad recipe is a great one that uses a good number of tools. It tastes great and using a good chicken show recipe, it can be adapted to be made with the grill pan.
stefani2
Has anyone made the Strawberry Spinach Salad before? I offered it to a Host for a supper show (tonight) and now that I re-read the recipe - I am not sure if it is going to be good? Has anyone else made it before?

LOVE IT!!!

It is a great recipe - tastes great, using a good # of tools.....I like to do this salad with the 30 Minute Chicken!

We eat this salad alot at home too.

it is awesome---on the interactive thread

So I have a few ?s

"Cut the onion into wedges" - could/should I use the UM to slice it OR do just like it says and cut it into wedges

poppy seeds? is this recipe ok without them?

Do you zest the entire lemon?

(the copy of the recipe i have doesn't seem to be complete)....sorry :(

I found a better copy of the recipe - it says 1 tsp. lemon zest.

To wedge the onion, you can use the apple wedger. Just make sure to warn the guest who's doing it that it's very sharp!

stefani2 said:
So I have a few ?s

"Cut the onion into wedges" - could/should I use the UM to slice it OR do just like it says and cut it into wedges

I use the UM and do rings instead of wedges.

I use the entire lemon, and I really think the poppyseeds add to the dressing - but I've never done it without them either....

I love this recipe!!!! And I love the idea of adding it to the 30m chicken show!

I love it! I think I sliced the onions when I made it last summer.

This is an awesome salad! I've been eating it for years before I ever started selling and always have people ask me for the recipe!

I use the UM as well for the onions. I also use the Egg Slicer Plus for the strawberries instead of cutting them into quarters. I agree that the poppy seeds are wonderful with the dressing... Another thing I have done is substitute one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for one of the tbsp of white wine vinegar; delicious!

stefani2 said:
So I have a few ?s

I use the apple wedger! Works great and I use this idea for stir-frys makes the slices (wedges) uniform sizes and some onions won't burn while the others are trying to cook, and you can make blooming onions this way! Like at The Onion restaurant!

Poppy seeds I think can be found in the spices area (right Becky??) I can't remember where I got them before, it has been about 5 years since I made this recipe!
Use the microplane for the whole lemon, makes the zest melt in you mouth!
Another idea than the 30 minute chicken is using the grill pan and it shows cookware off beautifully! I usually get a booking for cookware when I use the grill pan! I just sold the grill pan to a customer the other night too!

I would use lemon slices as a garnish, and then show my UM with that! You can score it with the lemon/zester first to make it pretty!

Just some extra ideas! Good luck! You won't regret suggesting this recipe, it's awesome. I think I might just add this into my summer recipe choices!;) :)

Everyone is so helpful! Thank you!

I talked to my Host - and she was able to find poppy seeds. Originally, I was worried that she would not be able to find them (because we live in a small town). I am excited for it - and I told the Host that I have talked to other people who LOVE this recipe!

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions...

Zester/Scorer VS Microplane GraterThis may be SLIGHTLY OT - but I would use the Microplane Grater because I want the intense flavor of the lemon compared to using the Zester/Scorer for texture from larger pieces of citrus (which is something I would use in a recipe like muffins), right?

I love this recipe and have been demo-ing it for 7 years! Taste great and uses lots of tools. Here are a few of the things I do:

Do use the Ultimate Mandoline for the onions (slice on the straight blade -- thin cut and have someone halve or quarter these slices), cut the cucumber w/ the v-shaped blade so you can talk about that.

I use the Micro-Grater for the lemon zest and the Juicer for the juicing the lemon.

Core & More and the Egg Slicer Plus for the strawberries. If you have the Salad & Berry Spinner you can show them how to prepare the spinach and the berries.

stefani2 said:
So I have a few ?s

This recipe is awesome. It is what I talk my Bridal shower hosts into doing. I use the Mandoline on the onions or if you are going to be using it for another ingredient you can also wedge it with forged cutlery! You can also use the S & B spinner for spinach, stoneware or saute pan on the nuts....

Can't remember what else is in it, but it's fantastic AND quick!

stefani2 said:
poppy seeds? is this recipe ok without them?(

By the way, definitely use the poppy seeds. That's what makes the dressing.

stefani2 said:
This may be SLIGHTLY OT - but I would use the Microplane Grater because I want the intense flavor of the lemon compared to using the Zester/Scorer for texture from larger pieces of citrus (which is something I would use in a recipe like muffins), right?

Definitely agree with using the Microplane for this recipe...which would you rather sell: a $26.50 item or a $9.50 item? ;)

(And I also agree that it provides a more intense flavor and smaller pieces:) .)

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!! My Fav! I brought this recipe to pamper the teachers their last week of school and they scarfed it up! Poppy seeds are the bomb! LOL

ok - dumb question of the thread - which cookbook is this in?

legacypc46 said:
Definitely agree with using the Microplane for this recipe...which would you rather sell: a $26.50 item or a $9.50 item? ;)

(And I also agree that it provides a more intense flavor and smaller pieces:) .)

yeahthat.gif

The scorer/zester is NOT a tool that I ever show. I don't like the way it does the lemon zest...if you are using it for decoration it makes nice zest "curls" but I don't like that in recipes...even if you cut it up into smaller pieces.

Aside from the fact, the microplane grater is good for Soooooo many things! It's one of my favorite and most used tools at home! (and I almost didn't get it, since I had a long thin microplane from BB&B, so I thought I didn't need it!)

PamperedDor said:
ok - dumb question of the thread - which cookbook is this in?

It's in "Casual Cooking" on page 40...I have the page number memorized :p Although, you would think I would have the recipe memorized instead...

Kelly - I want to tell people about ALL the uses of the Microplane - can you share? this is what i have come up with:
Garlic
Ginger Root
Chocolate
Citrus Zest (orange, lemon, lime)
Nuts

R there more???

stefani2 said:
Kelly - I want to tell people about ALL the uses of the Microplane - can you share? this is what i have come up with:
Garlic
Ginger Root
Chocolate
Citrus Zest (orange, lemon, lime)
Nuts

R there more???

Parmesan
Romano
Fresh Nutmeg
Fresh Cinnamon

Does anyone have a show outline typed up for this recipe?

dannyzmom said:
Does anyone have a show outline typed up for this recipe?

Here's one I've used.

Attachments

• strawberryspinachsalad2007.doc
    30 KB · Views: 235
Ok...I have this NEED to use the gralic Press and the Food Chopper in every demo I do - LOL
How can I incorprote these tools in this recipe?
Would a pressed clove of garlic work nicely in the dressing?
Maybe chop some of the almonds??
Ooooh - and wouldn't some grated cheddar cheese go nicely???

dannyzmom said:
Ok...I have this NEED to use the gralic Press and the Food Chopper in every demo I do - LOL
How can I incorprote these tools in this recipe?
Would a pressed clove of garlic work nicely in the dressing?
Maybe chop some of the almonds??
Ooooh - and wouldn't some grated cheddar cheese go nicely???

Make Garlic Parmesan Biscuit Bites to go with it....then you can use the garlic press and microplane grater. And then, yes, just chop some almonds.

(I don't think cheddar really goes too well with this salad.)

Related to Strawberry Spinach Salad - Your Thoughts?

1. Can I use frozen strawberries in this salad?

While fresh strawberries are typically recommended for this salad, you can use frozen strawberries as well. Just make sure to thaw and drain them before adding them to the salad.

2. Is it necessary to use spinach, or can I substitute with another type of lettuce?

Spinach is the recommended green for this salad as it pairs well with the strawberries and other ingredients. However, you can substitute with another type of lettuce if desired.

3. Can I add protein to this salad to make it a complete meal?

Yes, you can add protein such as grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu to make this salad a complete and satisfying meal.

4. How long can I store leftovers of this salad?

If stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, this salad can last for 1-2 days. However, it is best enjoyed fresh.

5. Can I make this salad ahead of time?

You can prepare the dressing and chop the ingredients ahead of time, but it is best to assemble the salad right before serving to prevent it from becoming soggy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kchaudoin
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kchaudoin
  • BeckyC5830
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
  • ChefBeckyD