• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Use Frozen Strawberries for Strawberry Amaretto Pastries in Winter?

In summary, the recipe calls for fresh strawberries, but frozen ones can be substituted. They are also good with peaches or any other fresh fruit. The recipe is relatively easy to follow and should be manageable even for first-time consultants.
ChefJoyJ
One of my hosts picked this recipe out of the recipes that came with my new consultant kit, and while I do agree they sound yummy, I have a question about the strawberries. The party will be in January, when strawberries are waaay out of season here, and she suggested using frozen, but from what I get from the way the recipe reads...fresh is what they are using. Can I use frozen? Has anyone done that with success? What else can I substitute for the strawberries that is an inseason fruit for winter? I know the party isn't until Jan, but help!!

I have made them before and the strawberries are just like a topping for them, and as long as they are really juicy it would probably be okay.

I think the frozen ones would be too mushy and in my experience, frozen strawberries are not very sweet AT ALL. You could try peaches.

But honestly, a pint of strawberries is worth it on this one. :)

Fresh not frozenAny fresh fruit (berries, peaches, etc.) would be good; the frozen stuff is just not the right texture or appearance you need for these. I made these at my 2nd show as a new consultant and they were really good, but I think they were very messy (slicing the pastry apart - I had almonds & sugar everywhere) and also a bit time consuming to assemble. I feel I am a rather seasoned "chef", but I think these may be a bit challenging for new consultants, especially if it's within their first few shows. I don't know why PC suggests this as a "New Consultant" recipe.

Sometimes you can find decent strawberries even when they are out of season. Try slicing them and then mixing them with some sugar to sweeten them up.

And try the recipe at home first to make sure that you are familiar with the recipe. I would never recommend trying a recipe for the first time at a show.

PChefRenee said:
Any fresh fruit (berries, peaches, etc.) would be good; the frozen stuff is just not the right texture or appearance you need for these. I made these at my 2nd show as a new consultant and they were really good, but I think they were very messy (slicing the pastry apart - I had almonds & sugar everywhere) and also a bit time consuming to assemble. I feel I am a rather seasoned "chef", but I think these may be a bit challenging for new consultants, especially if it's within their first few shows. I don't know why PC suggests this as a "New Consultant" recipe.

I agree that they are messy to cut. I like to provide the puff pastry (since it's $2 or so a box) and then make that part at home and cool and slice them before I leave. I take them in a container, place them cut but closed onto a stone and then I explain how I made them, do the filling, chop nuts, slice strawberries, and assemble them. Saves the huge mess of sugar, almond and puff pastry crumbs and also guarantees they're cool enough to cut when I need them.

I wouldn't use frozen. I made this for the first time at a show for a friend and they came out great, however, I bought the strawberries for her to save $3... she couldn't find any for less than $6.99 a box... I got plenty for $3.99... I can't imagine what kind you'd get or really any fresh fruit you'd get in the middle of winter. You might want to try it at home using drained peaches... you don't want mush... and mid-winter fruit can be a bit of a crap-shoot. Try it at home first and see how it comes out..

In the middle of winter - try kiwi, or the little clementine tangerines.....or a mango.

I hadn't thought about kiwi... they've got a very similar strawberry taste and would probably work really well, mid-winter! I may have to try this out. The gal I made these for and her husband both agreed that it reminded them of the cereal, fruit loops in their flavor. LOL

Hmm...I'll have to try it with kiwi. Of course I plan to try out the recipes, probably several times at first, practicing my demo the whole time. :p My DH is sure to get a kick out of it... lol

What do you think of the truffle bites? They sound quite tasty and relatively easy to make. I think that my host wants a dessert, and I know she loves chocolate... :) Are they as easy as they sound? I don't have my whole kit yet, just the paper portion...so I can't practice it yet. I'm waiting until the end of Dec. to order it...so my first 30 days rock!!

ChefJoyJ said:
Hmm...I'll have to try it with kiwi. Of course I plan to try out the recipes, probably several times at first, practicing my demo the whole time. :p My DH is sure to get a kick out of it... lol

What do you think of the truffle bites? They sound quite tasty and relatively easy to make. I think that my host wants a dessert, and I know she loves chocolate... :) Are they as easy as they sound? I don't have my whole kit yet, just the paper portion...so I can't practice it yet. I'm waiting until the end of Dec. to order it...so my first 30 days rock!!

The truffle bites are VERY easy, show off some great products versatility and are very tasty. You'll get lots of "oh, one won't hurt" comments and then find they're all gone! My one host even wanted to put the extra ganache in a plastic container for her use.. later. LOL... it is good stuff. I like making them and then inviting the host to bring out any assorted sprinkles, jimmies, non-pareils, et al that they may have in their decorating collection... double check and make sure they have one of course. If not, it's super easy to head to a craft store and get one of those multi-sprinkles things... they come in seasonal shapes and 'plain' party style as well... they include like 6 different sugar/candy/shaped sprinkles in one package (they're in their own divider with their own spout)..

1. What are the ingredients in the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries?

The ingredients in our Strawberry Amaretto Pastries include strawberries, amaretto liqueur, puff pastry, cream cheese, sugar, and almond extract.

2. Are the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries difficult to make?

No, our Strawberry Amaretto Pastries are very easy to make! The recipe only requires a few simple steps and can be made in under an hour.

3. Can I substitute the amaretto liqueur with another type of alcohol?

Yes, you can substitute the amaretto liqueur with almond extract or another type of liquor, such as rum or brandy.

4. How should I store the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries?

After baking, the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for longer storage.

5. Can I use frozen strawberries for this recipe?

Yes, you can use frozen strawberries for our Strawberry Amaretto Pastries. Just make sure to thaw and drain them before using in the recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Joyful
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
catlwilles
  • LakesideMom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
LakesideMom
  • natural