• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Storing Forged Cutlery in a Butcher Block: OK or Not?

bed bath and beyond product.asp? order_num=-1&SKU=14024263Bed Bath & Beyond Product.asp? order_num=-1&SKU=14024263
chefkristin
Gold Member
Is it ok to put the Forged Cutlery in a butcher block???

Not really. Knife blocks can harbor bacteria that is very hard to clean and remove. They can also dull your knives when you pull them out or put them in because of the wood.

wadesgirl said:
They can also dull your knives when you pull them out or put them in because of the wood.

I tell people at shows that if they have a knife block to store the knives in it with the blades up... that way they won't dull them when they pull them out. I also remind them to tell everyone in their household about the change before they turn the knives so there are no accidents!

finley1991 said:
I tell people at shows that if they have a knife block to store the knives in it with the blades up... that way they won't dull them when they pull them out. I also remind them to tell everyone in their household about the change before they turn the knives so there are no accidents!
Do you mean with the blades sticking out of the block or with the blades towards the back of the block?

Most knives go straight into the block, sharp-edge down. So when people pull them out, they scrape the sharp edge against the wood dulling them. If they put them in sharp-edge up, they won't dull them when they pull them out. Hope that makes more sense.

In blade first, sharp side up...I don't think they would fit handles first - LOL!

I have the old PC knife block, have always stored them blade side up and they've been fine...never had them sharpened other than the sharpener in the block...

i just got that kapoosh knife block with all the little spaghetti looking things that keep the knives in there. I LOVE IT!!!! i would recommend that. i have ALL the forged knives in there and all my colored quickut's and the color coated knives too and i still have room for my new green ones i hope to get soon

Our knife block goes side to side so we don't have an option. I left DH put his knives in there!

ginamkiely said:
i just got that kapoosh knife block with all the little spaghetti looking things that keep the knives in there. I LOVE IT!!!! i would recommend that. i have ALL the forged knives in there and all my colored quickut's and the color coated knives too and i still have room for my new green ones i hope to get soon
Which one do you have. They have different ones.

janetupnorth said:
In blade first, sharp side up...I don't think they would fit handles first - LOL!

I have the old PC knife block, have always stored them blade side up and they've been fine...never had them sharpened other than the sharpener in the block...
LOL! I knew, I just needed to verify. LOL!

I just keep mine in their sleeves in the drawer or in my turnabout.

i used to do that, but my 3 yr old opened my drawer and took out one of the knives so that day i got the kapoosh, i don't have room left in my turn about

I have recommended the Kapoosh that Gina has to several hosts who purchased the full set of the knives and were looking for a "block". I'm also now thinking of getting a block for myself since my TTA is so jam-packed with other gadgets. I like the stainless one, myself, since it would go with my kitchen better: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14024263
HTH!

I was so hoping that PC would come out with one this spring and have been holding off on buying the kapoosh until the spring line up came out. So now I'll just have to look for one of the coupons in the mail for BB&B!

I'm thinking fall is when we might see one....I don't know anything ('cuz I'm ALWAYS the last to know anything), but that's when they've come out with the newer forged cutlery pieces. So, who knows??!!!?? Would be cool though!! :)

Debala715 said:
I just keep mine in their sleeves in the drawer or in my turnabout.
Be careful putting them in your TTA. The knives aren't designed to rest on their tips, and many consultants have had them bend or break, even when stored in the cases.

Wouldn't they be on their tips in the Kapoosh?

I guess they would. It depends on the angle and whether 100% of the weight is on the tip.

I hope PC does come out with something to store the knifes. That is the ONLY thing I don't like about them. The covers are just too loose. They always fall off.

chefkristin said:
I hope PC does come out with something to store the knifes. That is the ONLY thing I don't like about them. The covers are just too loose. They always fall off.

I cannot even get the cover off my utility knife most of the time. I never show it at my shows because I'm afraid to pull to hard and cut myself. Guess I have the opposite problem.

wadesgirl said:
I cannot even get the cover off my utility knife most of the time. I never show it at my shows because I'm afraid to pull to hard and cut myself. Guess I have the opposite problem.

Mine is pretty snug too. I actually have a customer that ordered one of the black cases off the replacement list for one if his 8" that he bought from linen and things. It looks almost identical to ours.

Related to Storing Forged Cutlery in a Butcher Block: OK or Not?

1. Is it safe to store forged cutlery in a butcher block?

Yes, it is safe to store forged cutlery in a butcher block. In fact, storing your knives in a butcher block can help keep them sharp and in good condition.

2. Will storing my forged cutlery in a butcher block damage the blades?

No, storing your forged cutlery in a butcher block will not damage the blades. In fact, the wooden block will help protect the blades from dulling or scratching.

3. Can I store other types of knives in a butcher block?

Yes, you can store other types of knives in a butcher block. However, it is important to note that the block is best suited for storing forged cutlery, as the slots are designed specifically for these types of knives.

4. How should I clean and maintain my butcher block?

To clean your butcher block, use warm soapy water and a soft cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the wood. To maintain the block, periodically oil it with food-grade mineral oil to prevent it from drying out and cracking.

5. Is it better to store my forged cutlery in a block or on a magnetic strip?

Both options are suitable for storing forged cutlery. However, a butcher block may provide better protection for the blades and may be more aesthetically pleasing in a kitchen. A magnetic strip, on the other hand, allows for easier access to the knives and can save counter space.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyRedHead
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Segre
  • Products and Tips
Replies