• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You Know Who Makes Our Forged Cutlery?

For larger jobs, like slicing a loaf of bread or butchering a chicken.The Forged Cutlery is made with a multi-step hand finishing process. The stainless steel is hammered into the basic knife shape, then heated and cooled to increase the hardness, density and flexibility of the knife.The Forged Cutlery is made with high-carbon German steel formulated with special elements to provide superior durability and hardness. The notation “Cr Mo V” etched on the blade refers to the elements (Chromium, Molybdenum and Vanadium) in the steel formula.The blades are made by a multi-step grind process, including hand finishing, to create the full taper grind.The
kaseydee
Gold Member
Does anyone know who makes our forged cutlery? I had a chef come in my store & asked.

They are manufactured in China from German high carbon stainless steel.

I do not know who makes them, but they look a lot like Hinkels (sp?)

Our actual manufacturers are corporate secrets (as with most industries). I always stress that the FC is made of German high carbon steel but assembled in China for cost reduction purposes.

The product information guide on the Forged Cutlery provides some great detail on how the knives are designed. (These are on CC under the Products and Recipes tab.)

legacypc46 said:
Our actual manufacturers are corporate secrets (as with most industries). I always stress that the FC is made of German high carbon steel but assembled in China for cost reduction purposes.

The product information guide on the Forged Cutlery provides some great detail on how the knives are designed. (These are on CC under the Products and Recipes tab.)

LOVE it!! Thanks Kris!! for cost reduction purposes......

I used a similar line at my show yesterday. Someone asked where the outdoor party plates were made, "Not in China, are they?" (kinda snotty, too) I turned one over and said, "This was made in Malaysia. As much as we'd all like all of our products to be made in the USA, it would be cost-prohibitive to do so. Home Office tests everything, and I do know that all of our stoneware is made in the US." They all understood about things being more expensive if they were made here.

I was told that the metal was FORGED in GERMANY but ASSEMBLED in CHINA... ? I dont know if this is valid or not. Anyone know for sure?!

bsaxman said:
I was told that the metal was FORGED in GERMANY but ASSEMBLED in CHINA... ? I dont know if this is valid or not. Anyone know for sure?!

yes, you are correct. The metal is from Germany but the knife is manufactured in China.

I rec'd a reply back from PC on who makes the forged cutlery:

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens with your
products question.

The Pampered Chef cutlery is not co-branded. Also, for proprietary
reasons we cannot divulge the manufacturer of our items.

The Pampered Chef cutlery is not co-branded. Also, for proprietary
reasons we cannot divulge the manufacturer of our items.

That's interesting. I'd be like "WTH?" If I received a reply like that from HO and didn't have this board to clear things up for me.

I was told, when the forged cutlery was a new product for us, that "German" referred to a process, not the geography of it's manufacture...

ChefAnn had a really good excerpt from one of Alton Brown's books on kitchen paraphanalia that she posted some time back on a thread similar to this one- ask her if she still has it, or can find the original thread/post and you can all learn oodles, and oodles like I did- but sadly my brain has forgotten it, or I'd share my wealth of knowledge and insight with you now!

LOL

(Darn Mad Cow disease)

Forged Cutlery Collection CUTTING EDGE

Additional information:

Handle: The durable handles (made of POM [Polyoxymethelene], a commonly used material for high-end cutlery) are larger than most other high-end knives and have German steel end caps to aid in proper balance.

Tang: You cannot see the metal tang running down the handle since it is a full-wrap handle.

Blade construction: The Forged Cutlery is made with a multi-step hand finishing process. The stainless steel is hammered into the basic knife shape, then heated and cooled to increase the hardness, density and flexibility of the knife.

Blade steel: The Forged Cutlery is made with high-carbon German steel formulated with special elements to provide superior durability and hardness. The notation “Cr Mo V” etched on the blade refers to the elements (Chromium, Molybdenum and Vanadium) in the steel formula.
Blade grind: The blades are made by a multi-step grind process, including hand finishing, to create the full taper grind.

The blades are thickest at the bolster, tapering to the tip and thickest at the spine, tapering to the edge. A full taper grind provides precision cutting capability and incredible sharpness.

Cover: The cover protects knives from being damaged in a drawer. Each cover has an imprint of the knife to show proper orientation of the blade when placing it over the blade. The covers should not be washed in an automatic dishwasher.

3” Petite Paring – shorter and lighter than the 3.5” Paring Knife for easier maneuverability; blade and hand are closer to food making delicate tasks easier. It’s useful for small, delicate and detailed work such as slicing or peeling small fruit and removing skins from vegetables. The fine pointed tip of the Petite Paring Knife is also handy for de-veining shrimp.

3.5” Paring – for peeling and slicing fruit and vegetables and for making garnishes.

5” Utility – for slicing larger fruit and trimming meats and poultry.

5” Boning – contoured blade is shaped to ensure the precision and control needed when deboning or removing fat or skin from meat, poultry and fish, and when cutting cleanly through joints. The blade is thin and slightly flexible, so it’s perfect to maneuver around bones to remove meat. The blade flexibility also makes it useful to remove fruit from cantaloupe or watermelon wedges.

7” Santoku – the hottest knife on the market since it is used by celebrity chefs on television; Santoku is a Japanese word that means “three good things” -- slicing, dicing and mincing. This knife cuts thin slices and the hollow recesses in the blade (grantons) create tiny air pockets between the blade and the food to aid in easy release of food. Our Santoku is gently curved rather than straight edged like a cleaver which makes it more user friendly.
8” Chef – the curved blade makes it the right tool for chopping, dicing and slicing. The knife is used with a rocking motion. For a detailed description on proper use of a Chef’s Knife, refer to an illustrated article by Chef Christopher
Koetke at http://www.cheftalk.com > Cooking Articles > Archives > Cooking Knives.

9” Bread – use this serrated knife in a sawing motion without pressing down on the bread or cake that is being cut. This serrated blade maintains its sharpness and should not be honed. The serrated edge is beautifully crafted to easily cut soft, delicate foods like angel food cake or crusty foods like artisan bread.

Forged Steak Knife Set – Set of four knives for grilled steaks, chops and more. Knives are housed in metallic grey, wooden storage case that has a magnetic closure; the case is trimmed with the look of brushed nickel. Set is an ideal gift item -- suggest adding one or two to every Wedding Registry.

Forged Cutlery Carving Set – 8.25” blade on carving knife slices and carves meat and poultry cleanly without tearing or shredding. Generously sized wax cast forged fork with 4” tines holds meat and poultry steady during carving. Metallic black wooden storage case, trimmed with the look of brushed nickel is convenient and safe for storage. Note: Roasts and steaks need to rest for several minutes before being carved or served to allow the juices to distribute throughout the meat.

Most recipes instruct the cook to cover the meat with aluminum foil while it rests to retain heat.

Honing Tool – This tool was custom-designed for use with our Forged (non-serrated) Cutlery. The ceramic rods are set at the correct angles to hone The Pampered Chef® Forged Cutlery (excluding the serrated 9” Bread Knife).* It is not for use with other brands of cutlery. Use the tool to maintain alignment of the edge as often as you desire. It can be done as often
as daily! It is good to routinely hone the edges to keep them properly aligned and sharp. Professional knife sharpening is only needed every one to two years (depending on usage) and should be done when honing does not seem to be enough.

Knives should be clean prior to honing and pacing in cases. The Honing Tool has a soft-grip, non-slip base for added safety and a retractable counterguard that protects surfaces during the honing process.

*The Forged Cutlery Honing Tool is effective to hone The Pampered Chef® Knives with Sharpening Cases. This can be done between sharpenings to keep the blade edge honed.

Effective selling phrases: You might say, “Our Forged Cutlery collection is perfect for people who want and appreciate professional quality cutlery – it has the highest quality steel and handles as well as distinctive styling.”
You can go on to compare the Forged Cutlery to the Self-Sharpening Knives by saying: “On the other hand, Our Knife collection is for people who want practical knives that offer a good value. These appeal to a value conscious consumer who appreciates the unique convenience of the built-in sharpeners.

They’re perfect for home use as well as picnics and outings. If you consider yourself an aspiring chef, then our Forged Cutlery is for you, but if you need knives that are purely functional, then our Knives with Sharpening Cases are a fine choice.”

Demo Tips:
• Recommend that guests purchase the Utility Knife as a “Try Me” piece. It’s a good all around piece for cooks just beginning to collect good cutlery.
• Show guests how to cut a flat end to stabilize food when it is cut. For example, slice a thin piece from the stem end of a lemon, then stand the lemon on that flat side before making an additional cut. Continue to remove thin slices to make “a flat side” as the job progresses. The same principle applies to tomatoes, melon, pineapple, onion, etc.
• Suggest that the Forged Steak Knife Set and Forged Cutlery Carving Set are great gift items.
• Watch the video demonstrations for Forged Cutlery on Consultant’s Corner.
Technical / Safety / Cleaning Tips:

Safeguards for Knives
• The blade and tip are extremely sharp to offer the best performance and may cause serious injury if not used properly.
• Always store knife safely in protective storage cover while not in use.
• Always keep knife and all other cutting devices out of children’s reach.
• Do not use for prying, separating or cutting semi-frozen or frozen foods.
• Do not use to cut through bones. Always cut around bones or through joints.

Use and Care of Knives
• Hand wash knife prior to first use. Wash knife immediately after use; rinse and towel dry immediately. Always keep sharp cutting edge turned away from body. Hand wash only. Placing in the dishwasher will deteriorate handles and
can compromise sharp edge of blade.
• Wipe outside of protective storage cover with a damp cloth prior to first use and towel dry thoroughly. Cover is not dishwasher safe.
• To remove knife from protective storage cover, grip handle of knife in one hand and sides of cover in other hand. Carefully withdraw knife in a horizontal direction away from body.
• To hold knife, wrap fingers of working hand around handle placing index finger and thumb on opposite sides of bolster.
• To replace clean knife in protective storage cover, grip sides of cover with one hand while holding knife handle in other hand with sharp cutting edge turned away from body. Using image on cover as a directional guide, carefully
feed knife into cover in same direction until secure. Cover does not open.

Sharpening and Honing
• Forged Cutlery rarely requires sharpening. The need for sharpening will vary depending on how often the knives are used and what they are used for. The blades are exceptionally hard and maintain sharpness without frequent
sharpening. In fact, excessive sharpening leads to unnecessary wear on the edge of the blade. Resistance during use indicates knife edge is dull and needs care. Hone routinely to keep the cutting edge in proper alignment for optimal
performance. When honing alone is no longer sufficient, professionally sharpen no more than once every one to two years. Professional sharpening can be done at a local hardware store or at other stores that specialize in sharpening
cutlery.
• Edge honing should be done frequently to maintain proper edge alignment and optimal cutting performance. The Forged Knife Honing Tool has ceramic rods to easily hone blade edges for perfect sharpness. Honing can be done as
frequently as after each use. Recommend that customers get into the habit of honing the Forged Cutlery to help maintain ideal sharpness.

Replacement Parts Available:
Knife Storage Cover:
106D 3” Petite Paring
105B 3.5” Paring
105C 5” Utility
105D 7” Santoku
105E 8” Chef’s
105F 9” Bread
106E 5” Boning

Exclusive
Made in China

Kitchen Diva said:
ChefAnn had a really good excerpt from one of Alton Brown's books on kitchen paraphanalia that she posted some time back on a thread similar to this one- ask her if she still has it, or can find the original thread/post and you can all learn oodles, and oodles like I did- but sadly my brain has forgotten it, or I'd share my wealth of knowledge and insight with you now!

LOL

(Darn Mad Cow disease)

It's here: http://www.chefsuccess.com/f8/rust-spots-your-forged-cutlery-27039/#post319589

1. What materials are used to make the forged cutlery?

Our forged cutlery is made from high-quality stainless steel, which is known for its durability and resistance to rust and corrosion.

2. Where are the forged cutlery products manufactured?

All of our forged cutlery products are proudly manufactured in Solingen, Germany, known for its long-standing tradition and expertise in knife making.

3. What makes the forged cutlery different from other cutlery brands?

Our forged cutlery is made using a unique hot-drop forging process, which results in a stronger and more durable blade compared to other cutlery brands that use stamping or laser cutting methods.

4. How do I maintain and care for my forged cutlery?

To ensure the longevity of your forged cutlery, we recommend hand washing with warm soapy water and drying immediately. Avoid using harsh detergents or abrasive cleaners, and never put your cutlery in the dishwasher.

5. Are the forged cutlery products covered by a warranty?

Yes, our forged cutlery products come with a lifetime warranty against any defects in material or workmanship. Simply contact our customer service team for assistance with any issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Segre
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • dkitten13
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies