• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Knife Block--Will It Dull the Knives?

In summary, the new knife block is beautiful but people are hesitant to put their forged knives in it because they fear that the knives will not be sharpened well. It seems that if you store the knives with the blade down, they will be less likely to get dull.
AZPampered Chef
Silver Member
I just received the new knife block which is beautiful and I love, but I'm hesitant to put my forged cutlery in it--which I also love!

It seems like a long time ago there was a discussion about knife blocks dulling knives, and that's the reason some people use the Kapoosh knife block.

So does anyone have any insight on this?

No, but I would like some info too!

If I remember correctly this was mentioned when they first found out about it on a thread somewhere here. I think it said b/c of the way the knives come out of the block it won't dull your knives. I can't be for sure, but I think that was what I read.

HO indicated in the Fall DVD that the block won't dull your knives, although they do recommend honing them after pulling them out of the block. I'm still uncertain, since bamboo is HARDER than most woods, which would actually be worse for the knives.

Hmmmm....and I thought a tip I had heard to keep your knives from getting dull is to store them sharp side UP, so the blade is not resting on the block. However, the Use and Care says specifically to store them with the blade down.

I would store them with the blade side down (safer in case someone who doesn't realize they are blade up and pulls up too hard and cuts themselves...) but lift UP on the knife first so the blade doesn't touch the wood at all. Same thing with putting them in the block...lift UP on the blade so that if anything touches while it is sliding in, it's the top of the knife and not the knife blade. I pay attention and do that when putting them into and out of the sheaths...so I would do the same with the block.

Hope that makes sense!

One comment that I remember from NC was that your typical usage (cutting things, your cutting board, etc) are actually harder on the knives than the knife block would be. Dunno how much of that I believe at this point, but I think it does make sense to lift up the knife as you pull it out. The other comment was to make sure you put the knives in sharp edge down, as you have better ergonomics and control of the knife when you are pulling it out (and less likely to cut yourself).

The Furry Guy and I were talking about this. It looks to us like the PC knife block is a bit more vertical than most, which would put less weight on the blade while taking it in and out of the block.Could be wrong, though.

At NC and in the new product room they made a point of putting the knives in with the blade down. My DH was concerned when I put my knives in the block since we have the old PC block and knife set and he has been trained to put them in blade up to protect the blade.

I suggested that we lift the knife so that the back of the knife is touching the block as it is coming out of the block instead of the blade. We tried it and the knife comes out with no drag on the blade.

1. Will using a knife block dull my knives?

No, using a knife block will not dull your knives. Our knife blocks are designed with special slots and materials to protect the sharp blades of your knives. In fact, storing your knives in a knife block can actually help maintain their sharpness by keeping them safely separated and preventing them from rubbing against each other.

2. Do I need to clean my knife block?

Yes, it is important to clean your knife block regularly to prevent any buildup of bacteria or food particles. We recommend wiping down the block with a damp cloth and mild soap, and allowing it to fully dry before placing your knives back in.

3. Can I store different types of knives in the same knife block?

Yes, our knife blocks are designed to accommodate a variety of knife sizes and types. However, we do recommend storing knives of similar sizes and shapes together to prevent any potential damage.

4. How many knives can a knife block hold?

The number of knives a knife block can hold varies depending on the size and type of the block. We offer a range of knife blocks with capacities ranging from 6 to 20 knives. It is important to not overcrowd the block to ensure easy and safe access to your knives.

5. Can I use a knife block for other kitchen tools?

While our knife blocks are specifically designed for knives, some customers have found them useful for storing other kitchen tools such as scissors, peelers, and measuring spoons. However, we recommend checking the dimensions and weight limit of the block before storing any non-knife items.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies
Views
Staci
  • KayPT
  • Products and Tips
Replies