• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stopping the Sale of Holiday Products: An Update from The Pampered Chef

In summary, the Pampered Chef is recalling the Holiday Spreader and the Holiday Plates because they contain too much lead.
chef131doreen
Gold Member
Just got this E-Mail I have a very large fundraiser and almost all 900 packets are almost done how the hell am I going to put stop sell stickers on all 900 catalogs for 3 products .Can't they find these things out before the products are ready to be sold

August 21, 2008

Dear Consultant:

I have news to share with you regarding three fall 2008 products, the
Holiday Spreader (#2809), the Holiday Serving Plate (#2807) and the
Holiday Appetizer Plates (#2808). Effective immediately, these products
will be placed on “stop sell.” This means do not show or sell these
products until further notice.

Holiday Spreader
As part of our commitment to quality, we require our suppliers to meet
all applicable federal and state standards and laws. We also require
our suppliers to conduct testing prior to shipment to ensure we meet all
standards. Our supplier provided us with certifications from
independent testing facilities indicating that the Holiday Spreader
manufactured in China met the federal lead paint standard. However, as part of
our quality assurance procedures, we also conducted additional
independent testing on random samples which indicates that at least some of the
products contain excess levels of lead, violating the federal lead paint
standard.

Given these circumstances, we advise you not to continue to use the
product and we are voluntarily recalling the Holiday Spreader. We will
take the following steps:

1) If you received the Holiday Spreader (#2809) as part of the Director
Benefit Kit, the June Sell-A-Thon or as part of a sample order, we
will issue a Federal Express call tag so that the product can be returned
to us free of charge. You will receive a separate email before the end
of the month identifying the time frame in which you can expect
Federal Express to pick up the products.

2) If you submitted a sample order for the spreaders that hasn’t
shipped, your order will be on backorder. The backorders will be filled
when we have acceptable product in stock.

It’s important for you to know that the handles of the Spreader are
sealed with polyurethane. Exposure to the lead paint on the handle
could result if the coating wears off. Lastly, please note that we have
alerted the Consumer Safety Product Commission to our voluntary recall of
this product.

Holiday Plates
While the Holiday Serving Plate (#2807) and the Holiday Appetizer
Plates (#2808) meet federal lead requirements as well as our quality
standards, we recently determined that these products do not comply with
California’s Proposition 65 requirements. Although Proposition 65 does
not prevent the sale or use of these products, it does require strong
warnings to be placed on products sold to or used by California consumers
that exceed certain levels of lead and other listed chemicals.
Proposition 65 does not apply to sales or use of products in any other state
or in other countries.

While our supplier provided us with certifications from independent
testing facilities indicating that the above products meet the California
lead limitations, we conducted additional independent testing on random
samples which indicates at least some of these products contain lead
at levels that exceed the state’s warning threshold for lead.

The Proposition 65 lead limits are very low. In fact, FDA tests show
that lead levels found in some everyday food products can exceed the
California standard. However, we want to continue to follow our quality
guidelines which require our products to comply with California’s
Proposition 65 requirements. We know that you and your customers have come
to expect the highest quality standards from The Pampered Chef.

Given the situation with the holiday plates, we will take the following
actions:

1) If you live in California and received the Holiday Serving Plate
(#2807) and/or Holiday Appetizer Plates (#2808) as part of the Director
Benefit Kit, the June Sell-A-Thon or as part of a sample order, we will
issue a call tag so that the products can be returned to us. If you
received a call tag for the Holiday spreader, you may return these
products with the Spreader. You will receive a separate email before the end
of the month identifying the date on which you can expect Federal
Express to pick up the products.

2) If you live outside of California and received the Holiday Serving
Plate (#2807) and/or Holiday Appetizer Plates (#2808), you may choose
to return the products to us or keep the products. You may return
these products with the call tag issued for the Holiday Spreader. If you
did not receive the Holiday Spreader and want to return the plates,
please email the Solution Center at [email protected]
to obtain a call tag.

3) If you submitted a sample order for the plates that hasn’t
shipped, your order for these products will be on backorder. The backorders
will be filled when we have acceptable plates in stock.

I know this is disappointing news, be assured we are doing everything
we can to rectify it. We are working with our supplier to determine how
long it will take to rebuild our stock with products that meet all
applicable legal standards as well as our quality standards. We will
provide you with an update on the status of these products the week of
September 15.

As you know, we stand by the quality of our products. We are extremely
disappointed with these situations and apologize for any inconvenience
it may cause you.

If you have any questions, please contact the Solution Center at
1-888-OUR-CHEF or at [email protected].

Marla Gottschalk
Chief Executive Officer

The Pampered Chef is a registered trademark.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. It is not set up to accept replies.
You are receiving this e-mail because you are a Consultant with The
Pampered Chef, Ltd. If you received this e-mail in error, please send a
separate e-mail to [email protected].

There are already 2 threads about this today! :)

It would still be alot of work, but you could use address lables as stickers on the front of the catalog w/a little note about the stop sell products.

We've been discussing this. Sometimes these things are just discovered when they are discovered. Be happy HO addresses them and doesn't cover them up...(a little China irony there...)I wouldn't put stop sell stickers on them, just address those specific orders when the time comes. The product isn't ready but the catalog was...oh well. It happens. We move on.If you have strong complaints, I'd address them formally to HO so they know your feelings.

I wouldn't put any stickers on anything. If you get an order for one of the 3 items you can deal w/that person individually.

I like Kasey & Janet's ideas better!

I feel for you!

I agree, though...I wouldn't put stickers on everything. Are there a few "key people" in the fundraiser that you can tell who can put the word out. Otherwise, I would just get in contact with the few who may purchase these.

Sometimes, I wish they sent more of the new items out to ACTUAL CONSULTANTS to test...seems like we find the defects really quickly! Perhaps just to Chef Success members.... (sorry, trying to find the humor for you...I would be ticked off too.)

KellyTheChef said:
I feel for you!

I agree, though...I wouldn't put stickers on everything. Are there a few "key people" in the fundraiser that you can tell who can put the word out. Otherwise, I would just get in contact with the few who may purchase these.

Sometimes, I wish they sent more of the new items out to ACTUAL CONSULTANTS to test...seems like we find the defects really quickly! Perhaps just to Chef Success members.... (sorry, trying to find the humor for you...I would be ticked off too.)

That's a wonderful idea Kelly, it could even be a perk for higher up directors to be able to test certain products.

Ok, can I just say

WOOHOO on having a fundraiser with 900 guests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I can understand you're frustration, I would still be absolutely thrilled at this amazing opportunity!!

Let us know how it goes (and how you got this booking in the first place!!).

I would like to shadow Sarah's comment! WAY TO GO! That is huge!
I would just address the orders as they come in. Although what if you get 200 oreders for them?!?! Maybe print up some lables to put on the packets. That sucks! Sorry for the rain on your parade!

Ditto to Sarah's WOO HOO!

When the sheet pans were on stop sell, I had maybe 2-3 orders I had to turn down. Of course, I was not fielding 900 ORDERS :)

Good luck and much success in your fundraiser!

FYI, they do send the products to "actual" consultants ahead of time. The product advisory committee gets some, if not all, of the products that are in the works. Also, NEDs get early samples so they can check them out. I'm sure more goes into it, but that is what I know. The more people who know about the products coming up, the easier it is to leak them.

I would make up labels on address labels (30 to a sheet) and put one on the front of each packet. That would be the easiest. Then, when you do your presentation, you could also mention it, and if people have their packets while you are talking to them - have them take out the catalog, and cross out the products.

That's what I would do.

cmdtrgd said:
FYI, they do send the products to "actual" consultants ahead of time. The product advisory committee gets some, if not all, of the products that are in the works. Also, NEDs get early samples so they can check them out. I'm sure more goes into it, but that is what I know. The more people who know about the products coming up, the easier it is to leak them.

I know that certain people DO get to test out the products...but apparantly the quality on those demo items may be slightly different than when they roll it out to us?

How else would they just now be figuring out that the dots wash off the glasses, or last season that with use the sheet pans discolored? Or...the one's who get them early are not actually USING the products to find this stuff out.

Honestly, I think PC really DOES test our products and recipes really well...things just happen. But, it doesn't mean that it isn't upsetting to everyone who is trying to run a business when brand new products have a lot of problems. It just makes our job harder...one more thing to worry about or one more detail to attend to.

This particular stop sell is for LEAD. None of us has the equipment at home to detect higher than acceptable levels of lead.
Though my BIL's post-Doctoral research was all about lead. Maybe I'll send all my stuff to him to test - lol.
Again, PC has gone above & beyond with this recall. They didn't have to pull the plates. They are adhering to a higher standard than many companies do.
The real problem here is with the manufacturers not living up to their contractual obligations to produce these items to a certain standard.

pampchefsarah said:
Ok, can I just say

WOOHOO on having a fundraiser with 900 guests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I can understand you're frustration, I would still be absolutely thrilled at this amazing opportunity!!

Let us know how it goes (and how you got this booking in the first place!!).

That's what I was gonna say!! That is awesome! Can't wait to hear how it goes! :D

peichef said:
This particular stop sell is for LEAD. None of us has the equipment at home to detect higher than acceptable levels of lead.
Though my BIL's post-Doctoral research was all about lead. Maybe I'll send all my stuff to him to test - lol.
Again, PC has gone above & beyond with this recall. They didn't have to pull the plates. They are adhering to a higher standard than many companies do.
The real problem here is with the manufacturers not living up to their contractual obligations to produce these items to a certain standard.

Well said, Charity! :)

I think they just signed some kind of bill in congress that changed the levels of lead accepted. That is probaly why they did not catch it.

For everyone that has them already DO NOT EAT THEM!

Just a thought-
If you are using OOF's you are printing just add a note to the order form. I personally am not going to mention the "lead" because people get wierd about that. Just going to say manufactoring issues

Oklabell said:
Just a thought-
If you are using OOF's you are printing just add a note to the order form. I personally am not going to mention the "lead" because people get wierd about that. Just going to say manufactoring issues

This is Exactly what I have been thinking of all along. I wont be mentioning why they are on stop sell, just that they are. That is what I did with the sheet pans also. I just mentioned that if something doesn't meet Pampered Chef's high standards then they put it on stop sell until it is fixed. I will do a better job of taking pre orders and calling people once these are available.

KellyTheChef said:
I know that certain people DO get to test out the products...but apparantly the quality on those demo items may be slightly different than when they roll it out to us?

How else would they just now be figuring out that the dots wash off the glasses, or last season that with use the sheet pans discolored? Or...the one's who get them early are not actually USING the products to find this stuff out.

Honestly, I think PC really DOES test our products and recipes really well...things just happen. But, it doesn't mean that it isn't upsetting to everyone who is trying to run a business when brand new products have a lot of problems. It just makes our job harder...one more thing to worry about or one more detail to attend to.

Maybe the glasses weren't in the test package. All of our Simple Additions with color is hand painted. Ceramic and glass are similar in structure (or, at least I think they are) and it wouldn't be a stretch to think there wouldn't be a problem. Could be the manufacturer changed the type of paint? Maybe the manufacturing process was changed?

Oklabell said:
I think they just signed some kind of bill in congress that changed the levels of lead accepted. That is probaly why they did not catch it.

For everyone that has them already DO NOT EAT THEM!

ROFLOL!

I'm kind of laughing that you are warning people not to eat plates... :D

cmdtrgd said:
Maybe the glasses weren't in the test package. All of our Simple Additions with color is hand painted. Ceramic and glass are similar in structure (or, at least I think they are) and it wouldn't be a stretch to think there wouldn't be a problem. Could be the manufacturer changed the type of paint? Maybe the manufacturing process was changed?

Yes, often manufacturing processes are different or "finalized later". They could have hand-done the sample batch of glasses. The final process may use different equipment, times or temperatures...all kinds of factors involved.

Be sure to get the name and phone number of any customers who order the stop sell items. Then you can call them when they are available again. I did that with the sheet pans and had over $100 in orders to add to a show once they were available.
Deb

Belive me I am sooooooo excited about this fundraiser . It is my kids Middle school, I had told someone that I would love to do a fundraiser , I though it was for only 1 grade until the P.T.A president called me and said we want the whole school to be involved .

I was so excited and then fear set in ........... I know not all 900 kids may not partisipate but I still have put together 900 packets.

I am doing direct shipping only and also oftering Gift Cert too.Also on my PWS to do orders
I am going to put a lable on the 3 products that are on stop sell not to have to call anyone ( now that we have to close by the 15th of the next month )
I also want to Donate a few products so that they can Raffle them on there OPEN HOUSE that will lso givet them more money . I am only going to give them the 15% the Raffle should also help with more money

I will keep all of you up to date on how it goes

I would prefer that they do a stop-sell (especially BEFORE the season starts) than a replacement thingie like with the sheet pans. It makes us look more conscientious for our customers' safety.

chef131doreen said:
Belive me I am sooooooo excited about this fundraiser . It is my kids Middle school, I had told someone that I would love to do a fundraiser , I though it was for only 1 grade until the P.T.A president called me and said we want the whole school to be involved .

I was so excited and then fear set in ........... I know not all 900 kids may not partisipate but I still have put together 900 packets.

I am doing direct shipping only and also oftering Gift Cert too.Also on my PWS to do orders
I am going to put a lable on the 3 products that are on stop sell not to have to call anyone ( now that we have to close by the 15th of the next month )
I also want to Donate a few products so that they can Raffle them on there OPEN HOUSE that will lso givet them more money . I am only going to give them the 15% the Raffle should also help with more money

I will keep all of you up to date on how it goes

I am in such envy of you!!!! I work in a school and last year they sold $40,000 of gournmet cookie dough and were using our freezer to go in and get the straggling orders, etc. It ended up one teacher was left with most of everything. I suggested that she do a PC fundraiser this year and I will help her every step of the way.

Well, I see the cookie dough sale is on there for this year. What irks me is that this principal is gun ho on nutrition, which I am all for, being the food service director. However, she constantly is at me about every food on my menu. She is one of those people who has a fake smile and condesending look about her. Yet, gourmet cookie dough at $14 a box for about 30 cookies is ok...I am SO glad to be back at school...doesn't it show?!?!?!:mad:

Ann I know what you mean I did alot with PTA for elementry school and with cookie dough . I can't belive people buy it for 14.00 and it dodn't even make alot of cookies. Then the day it is to be picked up they forget so everyone is bringing it home to put it in the freezer.
That;s how I got this Fundraiser I said I would do everything for them . SOOOOOOO it has cost me alot , Cost of Catalogs, copies, and enevlopes and stuffing all the enveoples ect BUT I am hoping for an unbeliveable PAYCHECK , so its worth it
See if they would try it for the Holidays everyone always looks for another way to make money
I will e-mail you the letters ect that I used just let me know

cmdtrgd said:
I would prefer that they do a stop-sell (especially BEFORE the season starts) than a replacement thingie like with the sheet pans. It makes us look more conscientious for our customers' safety.

I feel the SAME way!! I am so happy to have this happen now instead of a few weeks down the road. Granted we got the email right after I mailed out 7 Sept hostess packets...guess I will be doing "damage control" on the host coaching calls this weekend!!

Has anyone posted a flier or sticker here that has this info on it? I'm SO behind the times with CS lately... my life is not my own... okay.. my life belongs to Jesus but my time here on CS keeps getting sucked up by real life!!!!!

I don't know if this has already been mentioned.

However, if people do place order's for the item's that are on stop sell, you can keep a list of them and when they come available again, turn it it into another fundraiser with just those items.

Just a thought.

chef131doreen said:
Ann I know what you mean I did alot with PTA for elementry school and with cookie dough . I can't belive people buy it for 14.00 and it dodn't even make alot of cookies. Then the day it is to be picked up they forget so everyone is bringing it home to put it in the freezer.
That;s how I got this Fundraiser I said I would do everything for them . SOOOOOOO it has cost me alot , Cost of Catalogs, copies, and enevlopes and stuffing all the enveoples ect BUT I am hoping for an unbeliveable PAYCHECK , so its worth it
See if they would try it for the Holidays everyone always looks for another way to make money
I will e-mail you the letters ect that I used just let me know

Well if you don't mind me asking how is this going. My son's school is looking for a Spring fundraiser. I'm thinking about doing this but still not sure. There is about 450 students in his school. So any suggestions would be a great help for me. I've got to give my answer by the end of October.

1. What products are being placed on "stop sell"?

The Holiday Spreader (#2809), the Holiday Serving Plate (#2807) and the Holiday Appetizer Plates (#2808) are being placed on "stop sell".

2. Why are these products being placed on "stop sell"?

The Holiday Spreader contains excess levels of lead, violating the federal lead paint standard. The Holiday Serving Plate and Holiday Appetizer Plates do not comply with California's Proposition 65 requirements, which require strong warnings to be placed on products sold to or used by California consumers that exceed certain levels of lead and other listed chemicals.

3. What is The Pampered Chef doing to address the situation?

The Pampered Chef is issuing call tags for affected products, voluntarily recalling the Holiday Spreader, and offering the option to return or keep the Holiday Serving Plate and Holiday Appetizer Plates for customers outside of California. They are also working with their supplier to rebuild stock with products that meet all applicable legal and quality standards.

4. When can customers expect an update on the status of these products?

The Pampered Chef plans to provide an update on the status of these products the week of September 15.

5. Who can customers contact for more information?

Customers can contact the Solution Center at 1-888-OUR-CHEF or at [email protected] for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefruthie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kkimpinski
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • peichef