• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Religion Starting Homeschooling for My Sister's Kids | Prayers for a New Adventure

In summary, Nanisu is homeschooling her 3rd grade sister's kids this week and is using a schedule she is familiar with from her time teaching in a Christian school. She is supplementing with materials from a different school she used two years before. Prayer and spending time with the Lord are essential, and time management is a common complaint from mothers. She recommends getting a calendar and planner, and not putting too much on your plate right away, making it fun, and getting children used to a routine. She also recommends getting materials ahead of time, reading teacher's manuals, and not beating yourself up if you don't get through your lesson that day.
cookingwith_tara
I am starting to homeschool my sister's kids this week (Brianna 2 will be 3 in March, Ivie 4, Christopher 7 will be 8 in march) I taught at a christian school for 6 years using the same curriculum I will be using now bUT I'm a bit nervous. I'm afraid of my time management! First grade, kindergarten, and preschool. Plus PC.

My husband and I have been married for 11 years and no kids of our own. After years of trying and praying it's just not happening. So I look at it as if the Lord has just 'handed' me 3. They do need some Godly influence which I'm praying is what we can be. So please pray, too. For this new adventure w/ the homeschoool and for the now 3 kids I will have in my life 5 days a week.

Also pray for my sister, Becky. They are going through a divorce which is why I believe Christopher is having such a hard time in school. My sister is only 26 and will now be a single parent of 3.

WOW - that's a lot of life changes at once ...for all of you. Prayers are coming your way.

I homeschooled for 12 years-- 1st-12th grades! Prayers definitely coming your way--email me personally for some time management tips. Remember, don't get too frustrated--be flexible and enjoy the time--it will pass too soon. They will test you (the kids)--that's part of the learning-to-grow-up part. They will balk at the work sometimes--oh well--I balked at God asks me to do, too, LOL. Have FUN!!!!! The best advice I can give you is when the day is not going the way you thought it would remember they are kids. Close the books and go to the park. Go do school at the Library--change of scenery. Blessings to you for doing this! I have never once regretted my decision to home school.

Well, it's been such a blessing - for me and the kids. Christopher has really improved in his reading just in this short time we've been doing it. It seems he has more confidence which makes him WANT to read. Since I've taught in Christian schools before I've been using a schedule that I'm familiar with where we have Bible first thing in the morning. There's something about learning scripture that brings about wisdom. It is such a wonderful experience to see the 'light come on' in their learning. Rewarding!!

Thanks for the prayers! Keep 'em coming!

Nanisu, I've enrolled them in an A.C.E. school using the PACES (this is the school I worked in for the last 5 years) but I'm supplementing (phonics, seatwork, and cursive handwriting) with "A Beka" from pensacola Christian academy (which I used in another school 2 years before). I'm curious what curriculum you've used?

I use Little Hands to Heaven from Heart of Dakota for preschool. I will be starting their Little Hearts for His Glory in the fall for Kindergarten. I LOVE it!!!

We are going on 6 years of homeschooling this fall! It's amazing, it shocks me to think that so much time has gone by.
Time management is the number one complaint I typically hear from mothers. Here are some tips I follow:

1. Prayer and spending time with the Lord every morning is essential!

2. Get a calendar and planner to organize appointments, piano lessons, co-op, field trips, etc...

3. Don't put too much on your plate right away! There are so many resources available to homeschoolers as well as extra curricular activities, homeschool groups, etc... so keep your schedule realistic.

4. Get your children used to a routine. Try to start school the same time each day and know what is planned for that day.

5. Read your teacher's manuals!! It helps tremendously with school each day. (gather your materials ahead of time) "You need a what for today's lesson?"

6. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get through your lesson that day. Sometimes our days were spent with correction, discipline and prayer.

7. Identify your children's learning styles. Some children work faster than others and if your child does not have the correct curriculum for his/her learning style, they will struggle and it will be very frustrating. (I found out last year my daughter was dyslexic, now our school time is joyous!)

8. Make it fun and don't be afraid to do things different than regular school! Do school outside, or take the day off to enjoy each other's company at the park or to take a break and watch a favorite movie (don't forget the snacks).

9. Set up a place to do school. The kitchen table, a desk in their room, the garage, etc... I do not let my kids lie down to do their school or stay in bed. (too tempting to fall asleep or daydream)

10. Don't forget to schedule time to clean the house and do the laundry. It will help you not to get overwhelmed at the end of the week. (Honey where's the phone? It's under that pile of laundry, I think!)

I hope this helps. It definitely helps me! Homeschooling is GREAT and the only thing that will work for our family. My vision is to see all of my children graduate from homeschooling and that the Lord would grant them repentance and salvation. By the way I use all kinds of curriculum. I try to change it up for the kids, they love that. Although some curriculum I really love: (Saxon Math, Character Quality Language arts, Answers in Genesis science material, etc...) And my daughter who is dyslexic does online curriculum called Time4Learning.

Debbie :D

Thanks, Debbie! These are great suggestions! Thanks for taking the time to do map it out for me. It is definitely challenging to start - but we're finally getting into a schedule that works for all! Thanks again!

What are the benefits of homeschooling?

Homeschooling allows for a more personalized education tailored to your child's needs and learning style. It also allows for a flexible schedule and more one-on-one attention. Homeschooled students often have higher academic achievement and develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do I get started with homeschooling?

The first step is to research your state's homeschool laws and requirements. You may also want to join a homeschooling support group for guidance and resources. Next, create a curriculum and a schedule that works for your family. Consider your child's learning style, interests, and goals. Finally, gather necessary materials and resources and begin your homeschooling journey!

Do I need to have a teaching degree to homeschool my child?

No, you do not need a teaching degree to homeschool your child. As a parent, you have a deep understanding of your child and can provide a nurturing learning environment. There are also many resources and support available for homeschooling parents, such as online courses and curriculum guides.

How can I socialize my homeschooled child?

Homeschooled children have many opportunities for socialization. Local homeschooling groups often organize field trips, park days, and other activities for children to socialize with peers. Additionally, extracurricular activities such as sports, music lessons, and community programs are great ways for homeschooled children to interact with others.

What about college and homeschooling?

Homeschooling does not hinder a child's ability to attend college. In fact, many colleges actively seek out homeschooled students due to their strong academic skills and self-motivation. Homeschooled students can also participate in dual enrollment programs, where they can earn college credits while still in high school.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
gingertannery
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
sarahmarie
  • babywings76
  • General Chat