• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Know This Isn't Pampered Chef Related but I Have Seen Several References to

M
MicheleC
I know this isn't PC related but I have seen several references to people saying they homeschool. We have been fortunate to have our kid's in a private Christian school for the last 3 years but I have been drawn to the idea of homeschooling. It is something I'm praying about but wanted to get some input from others out there. I always hear the wonderful things about homeschooling. But we know that all things have positives and negatives so what do you feel are the drawbacks for you and your children in homeschooling? (FYI, my kid's are going into 1st and 3rd) Thanks for any advice!

Michele

Hi Michele,

I homeschool and have for 12 years. I started when my oldest child was in kindergarten. I did put all three of my children in public school a few years ago and after two years, I pulled my girls (then 2nd & 3rd grade) out. My son stayed in public school - he was in 10th grade by then.

Some of the sames reasons that are "positives" can also be "negatives." For example, you get to spend a lot more time with your children. Some days that's good, some days it's not so good. :rolleyes: For us, the decision to homeschool was not a difficult one because we live in a state that ranks pretty low on the educational scales. I think we are in the bottom three. :(

Having done it both ways, for me it has been much easier to just teach them myself than to hassle with homework (the ambiguous instructions, the "busy work" that can come home, hearing "but that's not the way Ms. Smith does it"). And after the kids have been at school for 6+ hours, they don't want to sit down and do more work. You get them at their worst.

School work is much quicker at home than at school - leaving more time for fun things. But if you don't involve them in fun things, they can get bored or veg in front of the TV for hours. Things we have available in our area would include the community choir, homeschool band for older kids, park days, field trips, homeschool or community sports, art/music/second language classes, etc.

My 11 dd LOVES horses and the summer before we started homeschooling again her grandfather bought her a horse. Because she is homeschooling, she can get up at 5:30, go feed the horses, have breakfast with her grandfather, then come home for a nap before we start school at 9 a.m. My girls have a lot more quality time with their grandparents, who live next door. Since they have been home again, my girls go every single Friday to eat lunch with their grandfather. They look forward to this every week. They can go next door to cook with their grandmother. They can go at their own pace with their school work - for my 11 dd, this means doing extra work to try to get ahead - this child wants to finish school at 16, go to the community college for 2 years, transfer to our very large university for the final 2 years of her undergraduate degree, then go to a veterinary school. She is quite driven.

I am also able to give extra help if needed. I know where they are in their work and what they are doing. But, of course, that can be a "negative" too - all the responsibility is mine and I have no one to blame by myself. But I like being able to use a Christian curriculum that fits our family (we all love books and reading, so I use a literature-based curriculum). I am able to work at two direct sales jobs weekends and evenings and know that I'm still able to spend quality time with my children.

I love homeschooling. It becomes more of a lifestyle than an educational choice - I have always loved learning and most of my learning as a child did NOT come from school - I taught myself at home things I never learned in school. My husband is the same way and even now we are always learning new things, studying, reading, researching. It is a way of life. School is not compartmentalized into something that happens between 8 and 2, then stops. I realize this can occur even if a child is in a traditional school setting, but around here it rarely does.

Thanks for the input! Our state counts hours of school time but I have not seen anything defining what counts for school hours. Do you count things like soccer they participate in towards PE credits or meal planning as part of home ec or does it have to be during the core hours? I definately agree that the kids could get through things in less time than they do in a regular school day but then how to meet those hour limits?

Positives: More family time. Quality relationships (only a few friends, not 300), one on one education, self-discipline, fun, creativity, BETTER socialization, etc.

Negatives: miss out on the best parts of public school: drugs, alcohol, sex.

Related to I Know This Isn't Pampered Chef Related but I Have Seen Several References to

1. What are the benefits of homeschooling?

Homeschooling allows for a more personalized education, as parents can tailor the curriculum to their child's specific needs and learning style. It also allows for a flexible schedule and more individual attention.

2. Is homeschooling legal?

Yes, homeschooling is legal in all 50 states. However, each state has its own laws and regulations regarding homeschooling, so it is important to research and understand the requirements in your state.

3. How do you handle socialization for homeschooled children?

There are many ways to provide socialization opportunities for homeschooled children, such as joining co-ops or support groups, participating in extracurricular activities, or attending community events. It is also important for parents to foster social skills and interactions within the home.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of homeschooling?

Homeschooling can require a significant time commitment from parents, as they are responsible for creating and implementing the curriculum. It can also be challenging for children to be homeschooled without the structure and social environment of a traditional classroom.

5. How do you decide if homeschooling is the right choice for your family?

The decision to homeschool should be based on what is best for your child's education and overall well-being. It is important to thoroughly research and understand the responsibilities and requirements of homeschooling, as well as considering your family's unique needs and values.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Natashya Giardina
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • T1Pumper
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Chefjpeak
  • pamperedalf