• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Small Town Struggles: How Can I Grow My Business in a Rural Area?

town is a small town (pop 3000) in the mountains in Northern Ca. It is 1 1/2 hrs to the closest town down a crazy switchback road or 2 1/2 hrs the other way to the next town. My issue is I feel like I need to get out of my box and I'm not sure how at this point. I have been doing PC for 2 years and feel like I am practically begging for shows now! I have in the past traveled up to 5 hrs for a show just to get the business. Luckily I have family to stay with but with gas prices going sky high my budget isn’t as flexible! I have done a few fundraisers for my son's pre-school but living in such
pattidailey
Hi Guys, I am really new to this site but I have to say I LOVE it! It's so nice to be able to read and see what ya'll are doing in your biz! My director and cluster are aways away (4 hrs) so I am dependent upon email and the phone for interaction! THANK YOU for this site!!!

I live in a small town (pop 3000) in the mountains in Northern Ca. It is 1 1/2 hrs to the closest town down a crazy switchback road or 2 1/2 hrs the other way to the next town. My issue is I feel like I need to get out of my box and I'm not sure how at this point. I have been doing PC for 2 years and feel like I am practically begging for shows now! I have in the past traveled up to 5 hrs for a show just to get the business. Luckily I have family to stay with but with gas prices going sky high my budget isn’t as flexible! I have done a few fundraisers for my son's pre-school but living in such a small place (we have 1 school K-6 and 1 High School 6-12) everyone is always selling something and this time of year everyone is sick of even the thought! I have hit up the schools for fundraisers and had no luck there! So I am at a loss and in need of some NEW ideas for bookings & fundraisers near and far! I also send out the monthly newsletter but I think most just delete it. I have asked a few times on them for my customers to email me back and I would send them a free SB...out of 276 only 2-5 respond.. And it's the same people every time! We have no craft fairs or anything like that up here. The last bizarre we had I was told I was not allowed because the Fire Bell's do the baking and it had to be hand made crafts. I was a little upset but hey what are you gonna do?

Another issue for me is the weather! As I'm typing it's snowing which = no driving because it's not safe to go down the mountain in the snow and I'm lucky if I can make it out of my driveway.....lol

I'm just not ready to give up yet! I have set a goal to earn my incentive trip next year and take my biz to the next level. I WANT TO BE A DIRECTOR!! I’m ready and feel like God is giving me this opportunity for a reason. So I am searching for some new ideas! I have been struggling for the past few months however when I ask for guidance I always seem to get some little conformation that I need to keep going. So now I have decided it’s my job to find out how! lol

I would appreciate any ideas you would like to share. Thanks again for such a great site!:) :)

Do you have a web-site? If so, you could use it to do on-line shows, and branch out of your town that way. I have had good luck using my web-site in that way.

I also use my website. How about out of town family and friends hosting catalog shows for you? I use a neighborhood survey. I have success with it. I can't find it right now but I have posted it before. Check files for surveys.

I've never tried this myself, but could you schedule two shows a day (in the same area) on a Saturday?

When I have a Saturday show, I always start them at 11:00 a.m. (and have had good success with this). That would give you time to have another show later in the day.

Perhaps you could even do something like bring a prepared recipe to the first one. Feed the guests that recipe while you demo the same recipe and bake it to take to the next show.

I do the 2 shows a day thing when I have a show that is a bit away from where I live. My in laws live 3 hours away and I try to piggy back a show with a visit to them etc.

I agree with promoting internet shows as a great way to have a quick and easy show especially if you have to drive far or cannot make it "down the mountain". You don't need to send catalogs, order forms, etc unless the host wants to and all the host needs to do is send emails and collect orders.

I live in a town of 400 people. Although I am close (35-50 minutes) to two larger cities, the majority of my business has been from my town and neighboring towns (800-1000 population). The key for me has been to get involved in the communities that I serve so that I am always around different groups of people and not stuck in the same circle.

When I do shows farther away I always do a 10:30 & 2:30 show on Sat. to save on gas. I also use my website a lot to help hosts.

Another great way to expand is to do lots of different kinds of booths. All it takes is one good lead from a fair or show to get in a whole differnt circle.

I have had great success with my business this year, I promoted to director on 12/1 and have just earned the cruise! It can be done, it's just a matter of making sure you can balance your shows in different circles of people each month.

I think doing multiple shows in a day is a great idea! Would it be possible for you to find a large location (like a church or clubhouse), and hold a Mega-Show?
Have multiple hosts (like 5) organize parties for 1 date at the same time. Each host will bring ingredients for her/his party (everyone eats the same recipe) and you will do 1 demo (people from each show can help you make the recipes for their party or you can have the host prepare the recipe ahead of time). Each party will sit together, the hosts will need to help you complete orders, and I recommend color coding each show so the orders don't get confused or mixed up.
This way you could knock out many shows in 1 day, and with a crowd that big you know it will be a blast!

**I've never done one of these, but have heard rave reviews form those who have.

Thank You all for the suggestions! I do have a website and have not done an actual online show before. Once in awhile I can persuade a long distance host's to hold a catalog show instead of a cooking show but most of the time they want a cooking show. Which actually is not that bad (other than gas) because I can make a weekend out of it and stay with family. My kids love it...my husband...not so much. :) I do schedule all my shows in one area for that weekend so that helps.

How do ya'll go about holding your online shows and what is the difference between that and a catalog show besides sending catalogs? I LOVE the Mega Show idea too.... I did try something similar at our church and the response I received was great but those who actually showed was a different story! Any tips for holding a Mega Show?? I would try it again though.

I am very involved in different things in our little community however unfortunately for me those involved are the same circle of people just different smaller groups. I find I have regular Host's now but the same people book each time. I am very blessed to have great family and friends that have been extremely supportive to me in my business, however I feel like I am constantly asking for someone to hold a show for me. Another goal I have set for myself this year is to have my family & friends calling me and asking me to hold shows for them instead of the other way around! lol... I know it sounds weird but I would love that! Does anyone have anything they do that perks interest in holding a show...online, catalog, fundraising cooking?? For awhile the Monthly Specials were keeping me busy now I am getting alot of "I really don't need anymore PC I have all my kitchen can hold". Does anyone have anything that they find helps attract customers? I know that sounds funny... but ya'll know what I mean...I hope! lol

Attached is a flyer I use when I have on-line shows, I think I foun dit on here somewhere - I hope it will help.

sorry, I forgot to attach it- here it is

Attachments

• Un-Party Flyer.doc
    68 KB · Views: 392
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so blessed to be apart of such an amazing group of people! Patti :)

I completely feel your pain. Shortly after joining we moved to a town of 4,000 (I think that number is in the summer, NOT the winter), and there is only one way out of town and it's 6-7 hours to the next town. I do get a lot of people who are interested that online orders can go towards their show.

One thing that has helped me here is finding out what circles are in town. I had one lady who wanted to do a catalog show for all of her co-workers, and she works in the medical clinic. I went to pick up orders, and one lady said they all wanted to order more, but needed to wait until after the holidays to have more money. So next month she is having another one with the same exact group. Think outside the box on who you talk to.

Another thing that has helped me is that most businesses around here are locally owned. I have made friends with the girl who just bought the fabric shop this past summer. She not only was looking for someone to do a PC show for her, but she has my business card sitting right next to hers on the counter. Plus, she always lets me hang fliers on her bulletin board. If you ask them to help your business, usually they understand how hard it is in a small town, and they'll help if they can.

1. What is "Small Town and Struggling!" about?

"Small Town and Struggling!" is a cookbook featuring delicious and easy recipes that are perfect for families living in small towns or on a tight budget. It includes a variety of meals, snacks, and desserts that are sure to please even the pickiest eaters.

2. Are the ingredients for the recipes easy to find in small towns?

Yes, all of the ingredients used in the recipes are common and can be found in most small town grocery stores. We understand the struggle of not having access to specialty ingredients, so we made sure to only include ingredients that are readily available.

3. How many recipes are included in "Small Town and Struggling!"?

There are over 50 recipes in "Small Town and Struggling!", ranging from breakfast dishes to main courses and desserts. Each recipe is simple and easy to follow, perfect for busy families.

4. Are there any vegetarian or vegan options in the cookbook?

Yes, there are several vegetarian and vegan options in "Small Town and Struggling!". We wanted to make sure that everyone can enjoy these delicious recipes, regardless of their dietary restrictions.

5. Can I purchase "Small Town and Struggling!" in stores or is it only available through Pampered Chef?

You can purchase "Small Town and Struggling!" through Pampered Chef, either online or through a consultant. It is not currently available in stores, but you can easily order it through our website or a consultant near you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jordanleigh1743
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
jori-sc
  • Morvin
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies