• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Shows Too Hard --Help--Suggestions?

The conversation is about the struggles and frustrations of running a direct sales business, particularly with the amount of time and effort it takes to prepare for shows and recruit new team members. The participants offer tips on streamlining and simplifying the process, such as using the same recipe at multiple shows, prepping for multiple shows at once, and keeping duplicate products in the car. They also discuss the importance of setting boundaries and not spending too much time at shows or with hostesses. In summary, the conversation highlights the challenges and strategies for making direct sales more efficient and successful.
chefjwr
Hello Ladies,

I am having trouble looking forward to shows. I have had some disappointments but also it takes me hours to get ready for a show and 5- 6 hours for set up , demo, order taking, take down and summarizing with the hostess. It is hard to recruit when I don't see the job as being easy. In fact with all the products all over the house, keeping up with tax info and sales forms and info, my husband is not excited about my business. I need to work less and make more and then maybe I can recruit with confidence. HELP! Please.:confused:

How many recipes do you do? If you are doing more than 1 in your demo, it's too much. How long is your actual demo?

I usually get to my show an hour early (6 for a 7 p.m. show), then my show generally starts approx 7, an hour for demo then and hour for clean up and order taking. Sometimes that last part takes longer depending on how many people there are and how long they take the place their order.

I can see your frustration with this issue though, you need to figure out how long each part takes you and what you can cut down on.

Are you using the same recipe at most of your shows? I have found that really helps on my prep, ease of demo, etc. I also try to prep for all shows in a month at the same time - choose ONE day to prep all host packets to send out. Choose another day to refill all guest packets with catalogs, order forms, etc. Consider paring down the amount of products that you bring to shows - the more you bring, the longer the set-up and take-down will be. I get to my shows about 45 minutes early to set up, and that seems to be plenty of time to do any recipe prep and set everything up. I tell my hostess that I will call her the next day with her show summery and to finish up her order (unless we are keeping the party open). That saves me from being at her house all night! We always finish up over the phone or email. I find that it is way less time consuming that way. Good luck with simplifying things :)

How many recipes are you doing at a show?
I only do one recipe...I give my hosts a choice from a few recipes that use mostly all the same products. That way, I can pretty much keep my kit packed from show to show. Only doing one recipes keeps my show time to 35-45 mins. I take my dishes home dirty so I don't spend time cleaning up. That way I'm available to my hosts and the guests. The other thing that I've learned is to not wait for the host to summarize...I will interrupt her for a few minutes. Usually, they don't mind and their friends are interested on how "she did"...
As for stuff in the house...right now my stuff is a mess! :) Space is something I don't have alot of...I got three stackable drawers and a small file drawer that I keep all my paperwork in...at least then it's out of sight.
Oh, the other thing that makes getting ready easier for me...
I bought a bunch of the 2 pocket/3 prong folders (like you used for reports in school) and a large package of sheet protectors. I run off copies of the guest special and upcoming host special and put those in the sheet protectors. Then a catalog and order form and wahtever else. That way, the only things I have to replace are catalogs/order forms (sometimes your Life your way flyers) between shows. I'll do that on a night that I'm NOT doing a show so it's ready to go.

I hope some of this makes sense...I know it's definately helped me streamline things. Good Luck!!! :)

What is it that takes so long to get ready for your shows? Packing your crate? I found it very useful just to leave everything in my car and have duplicates of my favorite products in my kitchen. I take care of 10-15 host packets at a time (thanks for reminding me, I need to do these this weekend) so I'm not struggling before a show to get them done. I do agree with setting 1-2 recipes selections per month or I do 6 recipes per season. I always know what I need to get the recipes done and it's all in the car when I'm ready to go.

Do you do lap boards that you need to refill every time? Someone mentioned to do folders and have several order forms so you don't need to refill every time.

I keep the recipe simple. Usually I do the same few at shows, and keep the lecture part short and fun! I've had several guests tell me "thank you for keeping your talk short" because I was a teacher and I know kids get bored. You think kids are bad? I think adults are worse!

Also, I arrive 1/2 hour before start time, bring only whats needed for the recipe and then a piece of cookware, a stone, forged cutlery and simple additions. I keep the set up the same and usually keep my small utensils in a spare TTA and pop it in my bag when I go.

My checkout needs work (see another thread from today). I feel everyone wants to be done NOW---but I like the idea of telling them eat, chat, and I will call you when I am ready.

As far as clean up goes, I try to do that in between orders. For example, if no one is in a hurry, and they are chatting and I have no orders yet, I clean something quickly. I can always clean it in the dishwasher when I get home.

Tallying up with the hostess is my fave! They are getting something ALWAYS! I tell them ahead of time to take a marker and circle what they would like if they had no money boundries! They are always amazed at the free products they can get! This way they arent leafing thru the book in front of me.

Anyway HTH!

Gotta run, I am doing a demo with Girl Scouts today, although they are doing the cooking show! Interactive style!

Julie - first, do you have a director, or a fellow consultant who's show you can go and observe? Maybe get some first hand visuals for making your show easier? That may be a big help.With that said - making things simple and easy is was it's all about for me - so here are some things I do to make things easier for myself...I have a list of recipes I am comfortable with - and that I enjoy demoing. I occasionally add a new recipe to that list - but I don't do a complete overhaul with every season. For chocolate bliss shows, I am still doing my old tried and true Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake, and Cool and Creamy Chocolate Fondue. I can do them in my sleep, and I know exactly what goes in my kit for a Chocolate Show.....I give my host 2/2 choices when I am offering them demo choices. First, I ask if they want a dessert show, or a savory show. If they say dessert - I offer the Skillet Cake....and now I am also offering the Chocolate Strawberry Velvet Cake (done as a skillet cake). If they don't want dessert, then I offer either the 30 Minute Chicken, or the Chicken Fajitas.....I have outlines done up for all of these shows, and since I am not changing the kind of show I do all the time, it makes prep time, and packing time go some much quicker.I have pared way way back on what I take to show. Now, I only take my demo items, my TTA, 3 cookbooks, RUFTH trivet, and spices. All of that goes in the New Consultants Tote. All of my paperwork and computer go in the Carry-All Tote. That's it! My outline for my show is divided into 3 sections: preshow, Show, and Closing. My preshow section has, in order, what I need to do to be ready for guests. Here is my show outline for my Chocolate Bliss Show:PRE-SHOW:
Set up Checkout area
Set up Display Area
prep fondue ingredients (Including apples & crackers)
Prep cake ingredients
Melt butter in pan
Set up demo area
Preheat oven
Meet & Greet guestsSHOW
Welcome! Any first-timers? You are in for a treat! (explain show)
Thank Host (name), Thank past host – give gift
Explain host's other gifts she will receive today
Guest Special for the day
Demo Skillet Cake
Put in oven – do Ice Cube demo
Introduce myself.......tell story briefly
Assemble fondue
Talk about Host & Guest specialCLOSINGTake cake out of oven
Demo glaze – plate first piece of cake
Share the rest of my story.......great time to own your own business!
3 -4 minutes of Housekeeping
Guest Special for Tonight
Upcoming Host Specials
Fill out Guest Care Cards
Do Drawing
Thank everyone for coming
Explain check out
Eat and place orders.
I arrive 40 minutes before the show - I set up and prep in 30 minutes, and then have 10 minutes to chat with the host, and begin to greet guests as they arrive. My demo time is 40-45 minutes and then I spend about 5 minutes beginning clean up, before I start to take orders. One other thing that I do that makes it simpler is that I do take my laptop with me to shows - then I don't have to enter in orders when I get home.

I used to take way too much to shows and I have cut that back to pretty much only what I am using for the demo and the cookbooks and pantry items. I am only bringing more of someone specifically asked to see something more. I do take my full tool turnabout. It has NOT affected sales which was a worry I had but I shouldn't have... for your own peace of mind pare back what you take as well as doing what others have stated and only demo one recipe... Sounds like maybe you need to revisit and re-discover your WHY about selling Pampered Chef and I bet that will help you realign things too.

I never expect it to take so long but it does. I start out needing to strip out old Guest Special Flyers, I need to add catalogs and label if not already labeled. I label the specials and catalogs so if I run low, I have to go and print some more. I print the recipe and add those to my checkout or folders. I try to have those labeled with computer type built into the doc. I check my prize bag and replenish. Then I start looking at the Hostess Packs I bring adding stickers for Catalog Show Strategy or Successful Show Strategy. I fill with catalogs, order forms, inviations and Specials. I copy more of anything I am low on. I grab up my large PC Calendar in case and try to make it look neat and start focusing on dates I will have available for booking. Ofen I will make a clipboard sheet with those dates and places for guests to sign up for that date. Then I start working on checking my products to be sure I have what I need for my recipe and adding in new products or products that I have managed to move to my kitchen that need to be replaced. I try to pack the stuff to show the major pieces and not have things break. I try to bring all the cookbooks because people need to see to purchase. I am sure I am leaving out something. Then lugging it all to the car. Lately it is really hard because I injured my knee. I can't leave it in the car because my Toyota Sienna does not have enough back space to accomodate my normal grocery runs or hockey gear when I need to put those things in. All of this AND host coaching and getting the packet to a hostess that may not have been at a show. Driving or Mailing?? I usually drive it and drop it off if they are nearby and I can schedule on my way to somewhere else. Mailing is SOO expensive. I have a show coming up in Feb. that is an hour north of me. I think I will cry if I do all this and the show is not successful. Sorry to Whine.

Kris, which recipes have you found use about the same products?

You are NOT whining... you are trying to improve and we all ask one another question her every day!

chefjwr said:
I never expect it to take so long but it does. I start out needing to strip out old Guest Special Flyersonly do one guest special flyer - laminate it, or put it in a sleeve, and pass it around., I need to add catalogs and label if not already labeled. I label the specials and catalogs so if I run low, I have to go and print some more. Buy a package of labels and print them all at the same time. Keep them in a file folder, so you don't have to reprint all of the time. I print the recipe and add those to my checkout or folders. I try to have those labeled with computer type built into the doc. I check my prize bag and replenish. Then I start looking at the Hostess Packs I bring adding stickers for Catalog Show Strategy or Successful Show Strategy. I fill with catalogs, order forms, inviations and Specials. Again - copy large quantities at a time. Use a generic OOF, and put together 15-20 Host packets at at time - I usually do 15 Cooking and 5 Catalog - then the only thing you have to add is a host/guest special flyer to each one I copy more of anything I am low on. I grab up my large PC Calendar in case and try to make it look neat and start focusing on dates I will have available for booking. Ofen I will make a clipboard sheet with those dates and places for guests to sign up for that date.I think you could skip this whole part - I just have my calendar open to show the dates I have available when they come to check out Then I start working on checking my products to be sure I have what I need for my recipe and adding in new products or products that I have managed to move to my kitchen that need to be replaced. I try to pack the stuff to show the major pieces and not have things break.See my above post about what I bring to shows! Last night, the only stone I brought was my small bar pan - but I sold 3 large bar pans, 1 DCB, and also got a booking because someone wants the DCB for 60% off next month! - you don't have to bring it to sell it! I try to bring all the cookbooks because people need to see to purchase. I am sure I am leaving out something. Then lugging it all to the car. Lately it is really hard because I injured my knee. I can't leave it in the car because my Toyota Sienna does not have enough back space to accomodate my normal grocery runs or hockey gear when I need to put those things in. All of this AND host coaching and getting the packet to a hostess that may not have been at a show. Driving or Mailing?? I usually drive it and drop it off if they are nearby and I can schedule on my way to somewhere else. Mailing is SOO expensive. Time is also money - and so is gas! Mailing them (use usps.com, schedule it, and have it picked up from your house!) is so much less stress! I have a show coming up in Feb. that is an hour north of me. I think I will cry if I do all this and the show is not successful. Sorry to Whine.
You aren't whining - you are trying to work smarter - nothing wrong with that!

It's an investment to make, but if possible, having your "show" products separate from your own kitchen products makes it a TON easier. I have actually done that from the beginning, and all I do when I get home is clean up my dishes from my show and put them back into my now clean, dirty dish tub. The rest of my items stay in my black rolling bag, so really, I never think about what products to take to my show because they are always in there. The only time that differs, is if my host asks me to bring something out of the ordinary.
Host packets - these are a downfall of mine too. Do them in big bunches has been my help. I sit down typically late at night when kids are in bed and I work for about 2-3 hours printing, and packing them. Then I try to keep a bunch on hand to send out and to hand out at shows. My lap boards, I keep it simple: catalog, order form and current special. Anything else I just have 1 copy of and put it into a sheet protector and show it, talk about it and pass it around. Saves on copying and energy!
While everyone is eating, I start cleaning up and packing up and tell them that I'm not rushing them, but that I just want to tidy up a bit, but that I'm ready to help them when they have their orders ready.
I arrive 45 minutes early, and my demo ranges from 35-45 minutes long, then clean-up and take orders, I'm usually out of there 2 hours after show starts or sooner. Don't know if any of that helps....but just condense and organize. Maybe if you could spend a day getting your "area" at home situated, it would help you to breathe too. Best of luck!!!

Like everyone else has said you aren't whining, you are looking for help. :)

What I have done that really helps me out tremendously with time is the following:

1. Label everything when I receive it from HO. I usually get my kids to help me. :)
2. Make all of my lapboards at one time (I have 20). Then I only have to refill with the generic OOF and catalog over the weekend.
3. Make up 15 cooking show packets and 10 catalog show packets at a time, which I mail to my host's (cooking) after I receive their guest list.
4. I also only offer one recipe a month, so when I get home and wash my dishes, they go straight back into my crate and in the pantry, so they are ready for the next show. I want to get the tote!
5. I received a laptop for Christmas and it has made a world of difference with summary part of my shows. I'm able to give the info to my host right then and there and I remind her when we are closing her show.
6. I arrive 45 min - 30 min ahead of the show. Give me plenty of time to set up. I also only bring the products that I am using.
7. I also use only my planner and let everyone know that the dates highlighted in green are my available dates. I try to steer them towards the dates I want filled first.

From walking in to leaving I am usually there about 1 1/2 hrs.

Hang in there.

Last edited:
Hi Julie,
I remember you from conference so I feel I "know" you a bit. All of these ideas are great advice. I also am feeling like maybee you should take a step back and re-evaluate why you joined PC. If I remember right you went thru a bit of turmoil with your original director and maybee felt a bit abandoned when she left PC for another opportunity. (If I am way off base I apologize).
What made you Love PC in the first place?
What did you love when you were doing your first few shows?
I remember chatting with you here before conf. Last year and you were very excited and were also excited with all that conference had to offer. It is OK if PC doesn't offer the same things it did when you started. I know some of my "Why's" have changed ofer time. I just feel if you are not "loving it" why do it? We would all like to help you regain your passion for your business. In the long run though it is your business and you need to decide what is best for you.

Thanks for letting me ramble....

I feel your pain and have been working on this myself... I started by highlighting the dates on my calander that I am willing or able to work and do this for several months out (I currently have my calendar marked thru May... they may change, and that's ok, but it gives me something to work with/around). I then make up 4-6 host packets for each month. Each packet contains the same info... if I don't book all the packets for the month, I simply have to swap out the date sensitive stuff (oof, hs, gs, and letter to host.)

If you have a website, post your recipe on the website... that will save you some printing... or type it up and tell those who are interested to give you their email and you'll send it to them... that will save you some printing time and money. I have started offering the same recipe each month and posting it on my website...really play it up to the host... "this month I'm featuring X... why it's yummy or how it will benefit their guests. How does that sound?" Most of them will say wonderful... if they want something else, they'll ask for it. If they want a second recipe they get a micro cake in the fluted stone. Period! And I make it before the show.

This will allow you to keep your kit packed for the month... if you need to borrow from it from your kitchen, you only have to go look for a few items... we have a spot in the kitchen my husband puts anything that says PC on it so I can put it where I want it to go (kitchen or kit) after he washes it. I take only what is necessary for my recipe, tta full of stuff, a couple cookbooks and try to make sure I have one piece of each of the four main lines. I then employ part of Rae's catalog walk thru and point out some of my fav products that I didn't have room for (i.e. trifle bowl, chillzanne, grill pan, etc.)

You can totally do this... we just need to figure out how to streamline your process... Do you have a business in a box? This has really helped me as far as keeping track of host coaching and follow up calls... pm me if you need to know more about this, cause my post is already too long!

Oh, also, print one guest special flyer, label it, and photo copy the labeled flyer! Do you have a stamp with your info? This is a must have to me... takes less time than printing and sticking labels.

It sounds like you are doing more than you actually need to. I have the host and guest specials printed out and in those clear stands and put them so they will be in the middle of the crowd - my lapboards don't have anything in them that are monthly. They can see the stands. Same with my host packets - I do them ahead of time (all at once) then just have a few print outs of the current and next months host and guest specials with me at checkout and put those in as I am getting their hosting info. Generic order forms in there also. Seems like you are doing everything before each show instead of investing a chunk of time and doing a lot of that work at once. I also refill my lapboard with order forms and catalogs when I get home from a show. I get home, put dishes in the dishwasher, enter orders and fill lapboards so that bag is ready to go.

I have been having some trouble with parts of this also - I have been sending invitations out for hosts AND purchasing the groceries (for them to reimburse me the cost). Both things I realized I HATED doing. I'm going to put those on my hosts going forward and hopefully enjoy my business. Look at what you are doing and what you HATE the most and see how you can make just that part easier - then move on to the next thing you don't enjoy. Maybe you don't do guest packets at all... just take a stack of catalogs and a stack of order forms and pass them around. Make this easy for you and eliminate the things you hate to do to the best of your ability.

Good Luck!

pamperedpals said:
From walking in to leaving I am usually there about 1 1/2 hrs.

Hang in there.

WOW you are only there 1 1/2 hrs?!!

That is quick! My goal is 3 hrs from walking in to walking out. How do you do it?

Wow Laurie, 1 1/2 hrs.

I am reading all your wonderful advice and have not read it all yet. I am taking and making phone calls today. I will read it all. I am impressed so far with Becky's feedback on each part of my routine. thank you all --I will read all and I know it will help.

All suggestions--keep it coming and thank you again.

I have the same problem and have spent the last few months trying to simplify my business. I have four children ages 5 and under, and from the start I said this business would be built around them, not in place of them. It's a difficult balance to keep sometimes. I try to book shows close to home. If a host lives far away and I detect she's not committed to her show or excited about it, I insist on 10 people in attendance to make it worth my time. I only offer 3 recipes to my hosts and keep the demo to one, and maybe one made ahead of time (though that is often too much). It helps to have everything prepared for your next show the day after your last show.

You mentioned something about host coaching--it has been helpful for me to do all host coaching on one day of the week. That way, it's all done at once. I have also implemented the 3-2-1 system, and it's beautiful! My daily goal is 3 contacts a day, then I'm done. It usually takes 10-15 minutes. If you're consistent with it, by the end of the month you will have contacted enough people to book your calendar.

Overall, you just have to have fun. Whatever it is that's not fun for you you need to change. It's OK to go through frustrating times--just push through it, and you'll be glad you didn't quit!

My last show I was done from parking the car to pulling out I think it was 2 1/2 hours... I got there half an hour ahead of time. Set up my demo table, put out my stack of lapboards, set the oven to preheat and let my host know how she can help me set up and throughout the show (after we exchange pleasantries that is). By the time folks were there I tore into doing the hot pizza dip and had that all done and cooked by the time the warm nutty brownies were to go into the oven all the while telling about the opportunity, guest specials and highlighting various gadgets and all our lines. I actually had a lull when I realized I had gotten through EVERYTHING and had to wait for the brownies to catch up. LOL... as they ate, I soaked the dishes and was able to take orders as they finished up. I rinsed things off in between things and dried them, packing them right up. Guests were leaving in just under 2 hours from arriving there and I was outta there not much after the last guest left. My hosts were great with helping clean up and packing my bag. Guests stacked lapboards as they brought them up empty or with an order. I put orders right into P3 on my laptop... so I kept my host apprised of her deals right away.Sure beat my first 'real' show that took almost 4 hours soup to nuts. LOL... I started out doing three recipes.. no more. I'll do one uber easy and one not so easy or one difficult only. No more doing 3 in one night. I fill my lapboards and have them 'at the ready' when I get home from the last show (catalog, order form, wish list form and that's it) . I also keep my kit mostly packed (I take things out for home use then return them so I know where they are) and my TTA filled with my PC stuff so I just toss them in a tote when I need to pack. I also keep a briefcase with my lapboards, pens, drawing slips and extra SBCBs so all I have to do is toss in my laptop... which I don't even shut down. I put into sleep mode so when I get there, I only have to wake up, not boot it all the way up. I keep some recruiting things (contracts, YLYW pamphlets) in my briefcase I don't take packets or host packets... if I have someone who wants to book a show, I tell them I'll be in touch and find emailing them a guest list a great ice breaker and they know they can get that to me with a date and I'm not tossing them host paperwork that may get lost in their car or even left at the party. I'm trying my best not to take everything I have and keep things short and sweet. I feel if I highlight the host bennies, guest specials, opportunity and make it a good show, I've done my job. My energy levels have plummeted and carrying a lot of heavy things just doesn't work for me, especially up long driveways and stairs. Big bag, TTA tote, briefcase and food bags are it. I made the mistake of taking too much stoneware earlier this month (I needed two for my demos but took 2 more pieces too) and sold only ONE piece to a guest... my bag was soooo heavy! I take what I need to make the recipe whatever's in my TTA (and I get a lot of tools in that sucker) and little else unless I know it'll work with getting sales.

When I started in April I found that I needed to explain every step of the recipe that I was making. Ratteling off the measurements of everything so I stopped doing that and then I found myself not talking while I was cooking and then I would loose the crowd and feel like I had been there WAY too long. So I have found that instead of talking about our amazing products before I started the recipe that I would talk about them while I was cooking. I get there 1/2 before the show, set up, prep everything that I can and save some for the demo and then when my guests get there we are ready to go. I am usually there between 2 - 2 1/2 hours depneding on how many people come. I am starting something else too I am only taking what I need for the recipe and the guest special for that month. Otherwise I was bringing to much.

What I have started doing is the "no demo" show, having the food ready, and just talking about the product and maybe explain a little of the recipe, but that way I can focus more on the products instead of what I'm cooking. I also played for the first time last night the "Got it, Love it, Want it" game and that took a lot of pressure off of me, because I started talking about a product, and the enthusiasm of the guests who are familiar with the products carried a lot, so I just had questions to answer. It was probably my best most fun show that I've done!

Sal
I kinda like the no demo idea . so tell me of this is what you do ,, put together the recipe before everyone gets there so its in the oven . the you go about doing the show talking about the products ect,,, I think getting them interactive new show theme can be with potatoes to chop or using the products would be easy cause they can just play with the products at this piont . I always make the pull a part bread as a second recipe so if I only demo that we still have the recipe that is almost ready from the oven too.

I think I.m going to try that at my next show Ill let you know how it works out

In fact with all the products all over the house, keeping up with tax info and sales forms and info, my husband is not excited about my business.

Julie, fix this first - get homes for everything and you will not be as frazzled & your husband will be more supportive, and that will make a difference.

My family and I can take a few days of having new samples & chageover kits strewn about, but it starts to go bad on day 4.

If you don't have homes for things, you are constantly searching for them and it just adds stress. I had a very difficult time with this - we have a 3-level home. First I put things in an upstairs office, but always had to drag it to the main floor, or down to the ground floor to take it to a show.

I have now made a home for almost all PC-releated stuff on the ground/garage floor. I keep a catalog, my planner, and flipchart with upcoming specials on the main living level, so when someone calls it is at my fingertips.

Doreen-Yes, I have a recipe made ahead, and have the the host pay me for it or if they are close they get the stuff and I pick it up. Also, if it's a simple recipe like the Banana Split Brownie Pizza, I will have it started and put the finishing touches on it as everyone comes in. Then, I start doing a walkthru of the catalog, talking about different products using the "Got it, Love it, Want it" game, and from there it seems to take it's own trail, as everyone started getting involved in asking about, "do you have this?" or "what about this?" I love how involved the guests get!

chefjwr said:
I never expect it to take so long but it does. I start out needing to strip out old Guest Special Flyers, I need to add catalogs and label if not already labeled. I label the specials and catalogs so if I run low, I have to go and print some more. I print the recipe and add those to my checkout or folders. I try to have those labeled with computer type built into the doc. I check my prize bag and replenish. Then I start looking at the Hostess Packs I bring adding stickers for Catalog Show Strategy or Successful Show Strategy. I fill with catalogs, order forms, inviations and Specials. I copy more of anything I am low on. I grab up my large PC Calendar in case and try to make it look neat and start focusing on dates I will have available for booking. Ofen I will make a clipboard sheet with those dates and places for guests to sign up for that date. Then I start working on checking my products to be sure I have what I need for my recipe and adding in new products or products that I have managed to move to my kitchen that need to be replaced. I try to pack the stuff to show the major pieces and not have things break. I try to bring all the cookbooks because people need to see to purchase. I am sure I am leaving out something. Then lugging it all to the car. Lately it is really hard because I injured my knee. I can't leave it in the car because my Toyota Sienna does not have enough back space to accomodate my normal grocery runs or hockey gear when I need to put those things in. All of this AND host coaching and getting the packet to a hostess that may not have been at a show. Driving or Mailing?? I usually drive it and drop it off if they are nearby and I can schedule on my way to somewhere else. Mailing is SOO expensive. I have a show coming up in Feb. that is an hour north of me. I think I will cry if I do all this and the show is not successful. Sorry to Whine.

Boy that sounds like a lot of extra work!! I used to do all of that too! Here's what I've changed... I no longer print out guest/host specials. I have them in a folder that I pass around and have one guest remind the others thru out the Party, she gets a Twixit for her efforts.
When I get my catalogs and such, I label them first thing. Then I know they are ready when I need them. I no longer put stickers on everything. PC has done a good job of highlighting everything that if you host coach and go over everything, that's all that's needed.
My host packets are in a 2 pocket folder with 3 prongs. I too use sheet protectors for a Thank-you for hosting letter and a recruiting flyer. I almost always get these back to re-use. I put a sticker on it about catalog shows like the one Nancy's used to have.

I hope this helps. Figure out what works for you, but easier!!:p :p :p

Julie,
I hope you have found some good information here. Are you feeling better about things? I try to keep things simple as far as catalogs and order forms. I don't have folders or lap boards. I put out a stack of catalogs on the table and a stack of order forms with a bunch of pens. I tell everyone they may have a catalog and hand them out with an order form if people don't take them. I have the specials in a report type clear covered binder thing. I don't pass it around. I just show it. I bring a couple copies of the guest special and pass it around after my demo. Right now, I have one color copy of the "going, going, gone" flyer that I pass around sometime after I get started with my demo. I really try to only do one recipe and try to make it very clear to my hosts what I need ready. Some do what I ask and some don't. I always arrive 45 minutes early because I don't like to feel rushed setting up, especially if the host didn't get things together the way I asked or if her family is distracting. I tried coming 30 minutes ahead, but it was too rushed. If I'm on my way home by two and a half hours after start time, I'm okay with that. My goal is to be done after two hours from start time. I've almost made it many times, but then I chat with the host, which is okay. I just wish it would result in a recruit. :) Maybe it will.

I usually take ingredients for my shows because I thought it was just easier. Saturday I had 2 shows. Morning show I took ingredients, afternoon I didn't. I had to go straight from one to the other. So for the first time ever, I had actually told the 2nd host not only what she needed to buy but also what she needed to have done when I got there. OH MY GOODNESS! Setup/prep for 2nd show was SOOOOOO much easier even with having to reload lapboards from the first show & doing 3 recipes! (It was a Mommy & Me show so I did one adult trifle & kids pizza & cupcakes) I had to pack for 2 shows so I only included tools I needed for the recipes.

TWO BIG LESSONS: No more providing ingredients for me!!! I am only taking what I need for the recipe!

Now I just need to conquer the pre-showday preparations (host packets, guest folders, flyers, etc), & this will be a breeze!

I provided the ingredients twice. It was too much work and the show sales were not worth it.

Oh, yeah.. I also forgot to have copies made so I put a "Going, Going, Gone" Flyer & the 3 month host/guest special flyer in the same sheet protector. I had guests pass it around & probably got more response than I had by putting each of those in the lapboards.

Another step eliminated!!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

JAE said:
I provided the ingredients twice. It was too much work and the show sales were not worth it.
For me, I have always bought groceries. One more perk for the host! For me, it's easier because I know I have EVERYTHING, all of the right things, and then I can prep everything and put them in my prep bowls!! I tell my hosts that they get $1 credit for every buying guest they have, towards their groceries. I have been doing 1 recipe if they have 15 guests or less. More than that, I'll do 2, but the dessert is always mostly finished. Just garnishing is what I leave (EAD!)
I have duplicate tools in a TTA that I leave packed. I just make a list of items for each recipe that I use over and over for the month.
I refill my lapboards after the show and they go right back into my bag with host packets and such and then I know they are ready for the next one. The only thing I need to update at the end of the month are the specials in Host packets, and catalogs at the beginning of the season.:eek:

JAE said:
That is how I feel. I thought it would be easier to provide the ingredients...but it was more work and more stress for me. Now, I just work with my host on her grocery list. We go through it and I explain each ingredient. If there are ingredients that I think the host may not usually purchase, I will bring those. For instance, I usually bring the parmesan cheese with me. If they host will never use fresh garlic, I will bring the garlic with me.....those types of ingredients. Or if I need a prebaked crust for something.....

this is a great thread!Thanks for starting this thread. If it's any consolation, you've helped me out just by sharing your frustrations, and I appreciate it!

Really great ideas and suggestions here that I plan to implement right away!! Thanks, guys!!

I love the idea of $1 grocery credit for each buying guest in attendance! I do buy groceries for my hosts and if they have at least a $500 show, then they do not reimburse me. This would be a better way to get attendance. People like incentives (I know I do!). As for the stress and taking too long and just being horrible to have shows...been there! I used to get so stressed before each show. Running around like a crazy person. Then I stopped and realized that I was the problem. Just like everyone else has been saying, take a minute to label ALL of your catalogs at once. It's amazing how wonderful it is to just be done with that. Do NOT put a flyer in each folder. You mention the guest special naturally and the more you give them to look at, the less they see. Don't print the recipe. Sending them to your website, just adds more visitors there...good thing!We all definitely need to look at what NEEDS to be done and do that. Then add to that if we have time. I need to show up with products, catalogs, order forms and pens. What products? I bring what the recipe needs and some new stuff. I tell the host and guests to tell me if they want to see something specific. If they don't tell me, it's on them. I can't bring everything. I do lapboards b/c I like them when I go to a show. I just put the catalog & generic order form in it. I have my business card in a holder and sometimes through in a wedding registry flyer or something, but they aren't all the same. Sparks interest...what do you have? I don't have it! I do one recipe unless there are a lot of people (over 15) and then only a super simple one. I do a lot of no demo shows with the recipe done and brought with. Done...not just need to finish, but done! I pick EASY recipes. After all, that's what we want. Really good and easy recipes. I have one or two recipes per month. If they really don't want them, of course, I'll come up with something else. Just recently I had a host ask if I could do something specific (for a bridal shower) and I told her that Mini Pesto Pizzas was my recipe this month, but she could do that if she'd like. She said...oooh...those sound good! I used to cave and do what they wanted. Then I realized that everytime I did, I was stressed and everytime I stood up for myself and my business, I was HAPPY and they were too b/c really they didn't care!!Organizing is huge though. Get rid of everything unnecessary. From your office and from your show. Good luck!!

What is the generic order form?

Just an outside order form or an order form that you can order through PC that doesn't refer to a monthly special.

Great advice. I need to re-evaluate as well cause, per hour, sometimes it doesn't all add up. My husband reminds me of that. Advice I haven't seen:

*Use an outside order form from this site. It has the monthly guest special on it so no need to print out anything else. That's all I use and then I send the PP receipts at the end of the show.
*I keep my products for the next show in my car. I still have to add some items but it does help.
*I pack my bag with paper work when I come home from my last show. I am already pulling out orders and cleaning the folders, so I just put in the order forms. I also have my kids help with this. It also lets me know if I'm low on something in time to order more.
*I have a laptop and enter orders while watching tv with my husband. I'm being productive and he doesn't feel like he's competing with PC.
*I write everything down in order to have a good list of tax deductions so we're making more money in the end.
*I try to not chase hosts. It's hard when you first start but, really, it's worth it. Throw away that slip of paper from someone who won't return your calls or who says she's going to invite her Bible study and that's it. I need to do this more but having those thoughts of who to call hanging over my head is stressful.

Good luck and let us know what works.

1. How can I make my Pampered Chef shows easier and more enjoyable?

The best way to make your shows easier and more enjoyable is to be organized and efficient. Plan out your demonstrations and have all your products and materials organized and easily accessible. Also, make sure to communicate with your hostess beforehand to ensure a smooth and successful show.

2. How can I reduce the amount of time it takes to prepare for a show?

One way to reduce the time it takes to prepare for a show is to have a designated space or storage area for all your Pampered Chef products and materials. This will make it easier to find and pack everything you need for a show. You can also consider creating pre-made demonstration kits for each product to save time on set up.

3. How can I make my show more profitable and attract more guests?

To make your show more profitable and attract more guests, try offering special promotions or discounts for attendees. You can also try reaching out to your existing network and asking them to refer friends and family to your shows. Utilizing social media and creating eye-catching invitations can also help attract more guests.

4. How can I make recruiting easier and more successful?

One way to make recruiting easier and more successful is to share your own personal success stories with potential recruits. Show them how Pampered Chef has benefited your life and how it can benefit theirs. You can also offer incentives for recruiting, such as free products or discounts on their first order.

5. How can I balance my Pampered Chef business with my personal life?

To balance your Pampered Chef business with your personal life, it's important to set boundaries and prioritize your time. Make a schedule for yourself and stick to it, including designated times for work and personal activities. Also, enlist the help of your family and friends to support you in your business and help with tasks when needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • LeighPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Jennifer golden
  • aka1908