• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Show Last Night - Lousy Recipes and Bad Timing?

In summary, the host made some new recipes that were not well received by the guests. The sales were low and no bookings were made.
dianevill
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I just had to vent/share/laugh. Last night I had a show at an acquaintance's house. Our kids go to the same school, and most of the invited guests were also school parents and neighbors (no family). First, I thought it would be a really good show because I sent out over 60 invitations, plus she sent e-invitations, and I host-coached like crazy...reminded her to call her guests, etc. So on Sunday she tells me she has 8 people for sure, still had to call about 12, and had 5 outside orders. Not too bad, but was hoping it would have been better.

I get there last night, and 3 people show up (3 more filter in later, so that's fine). I was familiar with most of the women, ended up they were ALL neighbors, so we were able to joke around and have fun. I thought the show went really well - you know how you feel when you're on top of your game? That's how I was. They all said they had a great time and picked up a lot of tips. Then came serving the food. We decided to go with some new recipes to try to book shows for March and April (she wants the UM and carafe). So I made the Aloha Pizza and the Island Breeze Rum Cake (I made the cake at home). They both turned out great. No one ate! No one!:eek: Finally the host said something, and two girls grabbed some food. I knew I was following proper hygiene, washed my hands a ton of times during the demo, never touched my face, hair, etc. I don't think I even touched the food, to be honest with you. So I was pretty certain it wasn't me, although there's always that shadow of doubt when you see no one eating.

The sales dollars were really low - upper teens and low twenties. Usually I see $40-50 as an average. No bookings (usually at least 1). I found out later that all six, yes all six, had been to a Lia Sophia show the day before (Sunday), and four were at a wine tasting show on Saturday, so no one had any money to spend, and 3 of them booked shows with either Lia or the wine tasting. UGGHH!!

So at this point I understand why sales are the way they are and there's no bookings. Then one of the ladies said, "I'm so stuffed I don't think I'll eat for days." I was like, "what?" Well the three that came in late were late because they went out to eat at a Mexican buffet. Well, that answers part of that.

Then, here's the funny part. I didn't get to my DPDS until this morning (I didn't leave their house until after 11!) I opened the first one and it said, "Great show - thanks for the tips. Next time, do different recipes. These sound gross!" Got through a few more, and then another one said, "coconut- yuck. Pineapple on pizza - double yuck."

I am NOT making these recipes anymore :rolleyes: ;)

Just thought I'd share. I'm not upset or anything, it really is all kind of funny, but I know you'd all understand the emotional roller coaster of that show!

Have a great day!

Except that the next group might think those are the greatest recipes since coffee cake.

I am sorry Diane! The good thing is that this sort of thing only happens once in awhile. I had a show last week that I made a huge fruit display in the trifle bowl, and NO ONE ate it! The host was very happy to wrap it up for her kids though... ugh! The odd thing was that I made a chocolately one for superbowl, and even though everyone's comments were "eww so much chocolate, sickening" ....that bowl was scraped clean! But yet the fruit, people said it was really pretty....but no one touched it! I was so surprised, and I actually spent quite a bit of time (and money - fruit is out of season right now, and I buy the ingredients for the shows) ...and no one had any!

I AM soooooooo sorry your show went the way it did. My first reaction to the pizza when we first saw it was "YUCK", but I am the kind of person that will try ALMOST anything, so I did & it was good. The cake looks WONDERFUL, but I'm not a big fan of Flaked Coconut or Kiwis, but again, I would try it. I just think that these recipes for the S/S 07 are not for everyone & that is why so far I'm not even sure if I'm going to make alot of them. So far I think I'm going with a Trifle & I'm not even sure yet with the other 1....;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Except that the next group might think those are the greatest recipes since coffee cake.

You're probably right - although I do know a lot of people who don't like coconut. I may stick with the trifle. I made a fudgy brownie trifle (from Harriet's booklet) at last Friday's show and the bowl was licked clean (by one of her kids, not a guest;) ).

Jennifer, I feel bad for you about your fruit. I bet it was gorgeous - maybe too pretty to eat?:) ! And I wouldn't doubt that the chocolate would go. One can never have too much chocolate (no such thing as "too chocolatey"!)

Just saw your post, Ginger. I have to admit that I thought "gross" with the pizza, but once I tried it I really liked it. I even said that at the show last night - "I know chicken and pineapple on a pizza may not appeal to some, but where else can you sample it for free?"

Jen, I would have taken the fruit home if I bought it. I always take home the leftover ingredients when I buy (i.e. ice cream to go with the Molten Chocolate Skillet Brownie).

As for these people not even TRYING the food--HOW RUDE!!!! That Aloha Pizza is AMAZING! I haven't made it for a show yet, but made it for a super bowl party and our cluster meeting and it was devoured.

I hope she comes through with outside orders!

dianevill said:
Just saw your post, Ginger. I have to admit that I thought "gross" with the pizza, but once I tried it I really liked it. I even said that at the show last night - "I know chicken and pineapple on a pizza may not appeal to some, but where else can you sample it for free?"

I really think people in general are getting weird....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...also as a matter of fact, I'm making the Pizza for DH today!;)

Okay, anyone ever heard of a Hawiian Pizza with Canadian Bacon (I always get a kick out of "Canadian" bacon on a "Hawiian" pizza) and PINEAPPLE?!? Gosh, they were totally rude!

Sorry to hear about your show Diane!! It's hard to believe that there were so many factors going against you! Hopefully your host can collect tons of outside orders..

I actually made a Hawaiian pizza for my show this past Saturday and it was a hit! It's very similar to the Aloha Pizza, with more veggies and ham instead of chicken. There were 7 people there and they devoured the pizza! (It was a mid afternoon show). I also made a non-alcoholic Hawaiian punch that everyone loved as well. (The recipe actually calls for alcohol, I just skipped it because of the type of guests that were there...)

Odd show - glad to hear you made it through with a smile...bad timing with the other shows. At least if they enjoyed themselves and the tips they may come back around to you sometime.

On the Aloha pizza...I always thought fruit on pizza was gross...and hate peppers on pizza two. I've had the Aloha pizza twice and love it. I was at a show Friday where it was made and people were encouraged to try it and did and those who were like me before (no mixing food groups) REALLY liked it...so it depends on the crowd...maybe they still had the whine (I mean wine) in their system from the previous show...

I made the Aloha pizza on Sunday, along with the Berries and Cream Wonton Cups. Everyone loooved the Wonton Cups, but were rather skeptical about the pizza. However once they tried it, they liked it! I guess it really depends on your crowd. I live in the South, so people here tend to just like things they are familiar with. So many people around here never eat Italian food, either, and are always surprised when I make the Family-Size Calzone on how good it tastes!

It's funny about the Aloha pizza. Growing up I always had Ham & Pineapple Pizza. I thought Pepperoni & Cheese was too plain and boring. It might of been the novelty of having a pizza that was savory and sweet at the same time. I still order it today, and get extra cheese and mushrooms added. It also kind of reminds me of the old-fashioned baked ham dinners with rings of pineapple.

I tried the Aloha Pizza at my last cluster meeting and it was fabulous. I think I will be offering this as a recipe for my shows.

I think it must be a regional thing. I wonder if those people are afraid of mixing grilled fish with fruit salsas, chicken salad with grapes, asian dishes with pineapple, coleslaw with oranges (in the Casual Cooking cookbook), etc.

My take on it, Linda

Man, I can't believe they wouldn't even try it! It doesn't sound the most appealing to me either; but I'm at least going to try it once;)

Diane, I'm so glad you were able to step back and look at this somewhat objectively. Sometimes people are just weird! Remember that each group is different, so the next group might go crazy for these recipes.

I generally tell the host what I'm planning, then ask if they think that will go over well with their guests. Occasionally I'll have someone say they don't they don't think the recpie will be a hit. That's when I give them an alternative. This probably wouldn't have worked with your wacky crowd, though.

What is "Show Last Night - Lousy Recipes and Bad Timing?"

"Show Last Night - Lousy Recipes and Bad Timing" is a cooking demonstration event hosted by Pampered Chef where consultants showcase new and popular products, share recipes, and offer tips and tricks for using Pampered Chef products in the kitchen.

How long does the "Show Last Night - Lousy Recipes and Bad Timing" event last?

The event typically lasts for about 2 hours, depending on the number of guests and the amount of interaction during the demonstration.

Do I need to bring anything to the "Show Last Night - Lousy Recipes and Bad Timing" event?

No, you do not need to bring anything to the event. All necessary cooking tools and ingredients will be provided by the consultant hosting the event.

Can I purchase Pampered Chef products at the "Show Last Night - Lousy Recipes and Bad Timing" event?

Yes, you can purchase Pampered Chef products at the event. The consultant hosting the event will have a display of products available for purchase, and you can place an order during or after the event.

Is there a cost to attend the "Show Last Night - Lousy Recipes and Bad Timing" event?

No, there is no cost to attend the event. It is free to guests and is a great opportunity to learn about Pampered Chef products and get cooking inspiration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies