• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Show Cancelled After I Arrived!

Ingredients:1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda pinch of salt 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 3/4 cup light brown sugar 3 tablespoons molasses 2 large eggs 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree 1/2 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (or 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger) 1/2 cup
pampchefrhondab
I had a show last night. Per the host there were going to be be 6 or more guests coming. I showed up at her house and she tells me everyone cancelled:cry: ! Luckily she tells me this before I set up!

So far there are two outside orders for a total of $50. She is also still going to try to get orders from everyone she invited. So hopefully all is not lost, but I have never had this happen before. I've had a couple cancel on the last day, but not everyone. I'm thinking maybe she wasn't giving me the correct number, but oh well! I would do a show for at least 2 that show up. At least I'd have a chance to get bookings! That's what I want more then sales at this point!

I just can't believe the time I spent getting ready for it. It was about 25 miles from my house, but luckily I work my day job on that side of town and went straight from work. I made a pumpkin trifle besides. I've decided I'm going to take the trifle to my day job today though and put some catalogs by it for orders. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

I worked my business anyway last night. I'm working a Taste of Home Cooking Show on the 25th. It's a Holiday Theme show so that's how I'm setting up my booth. I made cookies w/the cookie press and froze them so I can use them on display.

Just thought I'd share so you can be prepared too! Hopefully it will never happen to any of you though!

Sorry that happened to you. I'd be very upset, and I would have let the host know. You are having a very good attitude. Good for you!

Sorry to hear about that. She should have called you.
Not to change the subject, but what is the pumpkin trifle?

I am so sorry.
I had one of those about 18 months ago. I was in tears by the time I got him. In my case I had already prepped all the food before people started calling and cancelling :(
She ended up getting it to $350 in sales but man I was upset...

Sorry about that...but you sure are showing everyone how to look at a negative and yet spin it positively! Way to go!

Thanks everyone - it was a dissapointment, but I've had a few of those in this business. I've also learned never count your chickens until they are hatched.

You know we've been having a rough time lately, which is probably why this doesn't seem like as big of a deal to me. This weekend is the 1 year anniversary of my FIL's death (Oct. 13 - yes he died on Friday). My husband had a massive blood clot in his leg in Feb. and could have died! They said it was really a miracle a piece didn't break off and go to his heart or lung! Which puts things in perspective. He is still having trouble w/the leg and may have to live w/the swelling the rest of his life. Just recently the engine in my daugther's S10 truck blew the head gasket so we have to replace the entire engine (the truck was my FIL's so hubby doesn't want to get rid of it). We had the furnace people out and we need to replace it and our air conditioner! There is more, but you know all the crappy life stuff. I'm just going w/the flow right now and trying to stay calm and just keep working my business. God has brought me to this business for a reason and I know it.

I just appreciate hearing everyone's stories when they have situations like this. It really prepares you.

I truly felt sorry for the host. I would feel awful if my friends didn't come to a party I invited them to. I know she felt bad. Her daughter is a very good customer too, so I didn't want to get mad at her. I think by being nice she will work hard to get a show together. Maybe her daughter will get some orders for her as well. They called me last night and asked about the specials again, because the daughter can get the DCB too since she booked from the daugther. I think it's going to work out okay.

Here is the trifle recipe - it's from Paula Dean

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 9 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 20 servings

User Rating: 5 stars

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

Depending on the size of your trifle bowl – you may have extra cake. (which we do w/ours. It makes a lot!

I prefer to use Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of just cinnamon in this recipe.

I had that happen twice! One was very close to my home. It was a minister's wife. She only invited people she worked with so I'd "get a new line of people" - no one came. I did the demo for her and her son. We had a good time but struggled to get it to $150 in outside orders.

The other was about 25 miles away and when I got there it was her and her daughter. We decided to just talk about some of the products and put together the recipe (it was a simple one). Part way through one person came. Didn't even hit $150.

If that ever happens again I will not do the demo. I would do another HOST COACHING about catalog orders and go home to my family.

Sorry that happened. I feel your frustration.

BethCooks4U said:
I had that happen twice! One was very close to my home. It was a minister's wife. She only invited people she worked with so I'd "get a new line of people" - no one came. I did the demo for her and her son. We had a good time but struggled to get it to $150 in outside orders.

The other was about 25 miles away and when I got there it was her and her daughter. We decided to just talk about some of the products and put together the recipe (it was a simple one). Part way through one person came. Didn't even hit $150.

If that ever happens again I will not do the demo. I would do another HOST COACHING about catalog orders and go home to my family.

Sorry that happened. I feel your frustration.

Well I sure hope this is the only time it happens to me. Her daughter was going to be there as well, but she just had a party in August so they didn't really need me to tell them about the products. I wasn't going to wait another hour for the daughter to show up either.

I have been on the host end of this and it truly does happen. I had 6 confirmed and only one cancelled - the rest didn't show. I was so embarrassed for the consultant! My friends just suck at coming to shows, so I barely do them anymore. Even my open houses for PC with my past hosts and preferred customers are bombs.

I had a party last year ... the host and i were friends. She was having a murder mystery party. She was all excited and we were having a good time planning for it.Well it so happened that NO ONE showed up to her party, even though several people told her they would! She was so sad. I made the dish anyway (since she bought all the ingredients and I was prepping for it all) for her and her kids to have dinner. We just sat and talked, and I went home. She did end up getting $350 in orders, so it wasn't a total bust.

KellyTheChef said:
Sorry about that...but you sure are showing everyone how to look at a negative and yet spin it positively! Way to go!

Yes, thank you for showing me that there could be a positive spin on this. I am finding out that I am very negative when it comes to things like this. My first thought was that she probably didn't actually invite anyone, but had intentions to and time just got away from her. Then she probably invited 6 people at the last minute and nobody could come. See, I told you I'm bad.:blushing:

I used to be an office manager and was the type where I would get mad if someone called in sick and wouldn't believe them. I never let these feelings show though, so no one knew I was thinking it, but I did. Oh, and if someone came up to me and said they needed to talk to me, the first thing that would come out of my mouth was "Are you quitting?" Twice I got a yes to that question!

Now that I look at this, I think I need help!!

I think it's a really good idea for us, as consultants, to HOST a show (for another DS company) every once in an while. It reminds us how challengnig it is as a hostess to GET people to come.
I am hosting a Body Shop party tonight and I invited SIXTY FIVE people. I have 25 people saying they're coming tonight...what if I had done like so many of our hostesses try to do and only invited 20???

Rhonda, sorry to hear that. When I was a host before joining PC, I had only 3 friends show up. Before the show my consultant gave me a challenge: 3 bookings and I could get any stone of my choice for free when the 3rd show was held. All 3 booked! One booked outside my show too, making it 4. My consultant said 2 more bookings and I could get another free stone. I got on the phone and called those who said they were coming and said "You will be booking a show so I can get my free stone". I booked a total of 6 from my show.Offer this to your host. If she books from herself in 6 months, she gets double host benefits. Just two more she gets her stone!After 3 of my friends shows and a free stone, I joined PC. The other 3 shows were given to me to start my business. 2 1/2 years later I am #1 in sales and my consultant's (now director) business booster.

I've had this happen a couple of times too. It's sad b/c you work your business and sometimes it just happens.

I too was on the flip side just last month with my open house. I had about 20 people say they would come and only about 5-6 did. The show closed at $600 though so it all works out in the end I guess....

I have also been on the Host side of this. My first party for my cousin, I had 15 people confirm. One cancled at the last minute becuase her FIL was in a car accident, so she was understandable. 1 person showed up! I was sooo embarased. But I went around and got over 300 in outside orders. I just felt so bad, because it was one of her first shows. All my other shows were hits though, and I even gave her, her first $1000 show, so I hope that made up for it a little bit.

I am having that happen to me right now, I think. :( It was a cancelled kitchen show that turned into a catalog show. I called two days prior to the close of her show to confirm we were still on for me to P/U orders, money, etc. and after driving 43 miles one way... I was told she didn't have all the orders and would mail them to me. I offered to take the orders she already had and she said no she wanted to mail them all together. Now, it has been two weeks and I have not heard from her. I have tried calling, emailing and no word. At this point, I feel as if just dropping the whole thing. Problem is she is also my hairdresser so what do I do?

I forgot to mention the prior hostess wanted to order off her because they were both Sept. shows, now my prior hostess is asking when is she going to get her order. I am being pressured by her and don't know what to do? ANY suggestions?? I am only 40days into my PC career and already I am frustrated!! BUT, I did QUALIFY!!! YEAH!!

Roxylady, sounds like a bust to me. I tend to be avoided if they don't have any orders. I'm sorry you had to drive all that way for nothing!Another story from me: (I mentioned it here before)
In April I drove 300 miles to Dallas to do a show for a friend of my sister's. We had talked and confirmed all dates; I wasn't able to reach her the night before, but on the day of, I reached her and she said, no the party is NEXT WEEK! And being pretty careful myself (I wouldn't drive that far for no reason) I had double checked everything. She wrote wrong date on her calendar, and pretty much ignored everything i sent her with the correct date on it. It became a bust. I claimed the mileage I drove, however. AND the food I ate on the road.I have another party in Dallas next month. It's for a coworker for another sister. However, THIS time, the hostess is completely different and seems very motivated. It should work well, I think.

Did the past host give the order and payment to her friend who has not given you the other orders yet? If so, i would call the past host, and tell her you are having trouble contacting the current host to collect all the orders. She hasn't sent them to you. Maybe she can call her for you.

roxylady said:
I forgot to mention the prior hostess wanted to order off her because they were both Sept. shows, now my prior hostess is asking when is she going to get her order. I am being pressured by her and don't know what to do? ANY suggestions?? I am only 40days into my PC career and already I am frustrated!! BUT, I did QUALIFY!!! YEAH!!

roxylady said:

I am new to the business, but with the online ordering can't the prior hostess place her order online under the show and then you just tell the current hostess that you are going to have to close the show by a certain date and all/if any orders need to be recieved by then. That way you are able to keep a previous (successful) host happy.

vogee13 said:
I am new to the business, but with the online ordering can't the prior hostess place her order online under the show and then you just tell the current hostess that you are going to have to close the show by a certain date and all/if any orders need to be recieved by then. That way you are able to keep a previous (successful) host happy.

But if she doesn't get the orders from the current host there is not a show to submit and the previous hostess can't get the special.

I had this happen to me back in June. By August I had written the host off. Last week I got a package in the mail from her for the orders! It turned out to be a $300 show!

If I were you I would call the previous host and let her know that you can't get a hold of the current host. The call the current host and say that you understand that life gets busy and maybe she can do the catty show when it's a better time for her. Then just bless and release. Most likely that will motivate her to get you the orders and hopefully the previous host will call her too and motivate her.

Then go along as normal. At your next hair appointment just ask how things are going for her and show a genuine interest. Most likely that will get her to talk about the PC thing and just let her know that you are ready whenever she is and you're not going anywhere!

HTH

Vogee13- I am new too, but I think in order for her to be able to place her order and take advantage of the "host special" the current host has to have a qualifying party. Now I could be wrong. I am looking into it. Meanwhile, I took
Sailortena's advice and let her know I am having trouble getting in contact with her friend. Maybe she can figure out what is happening. I pretty much have guessed she doesn't have any orders. But I can't believe she just wouldn't say that. I would much rather have the truth than the run around. On a better note, THANK YOU!!! and THANK YOU to Sailortena for your advice and encouragement. Sailortena- GOOD LUCK in Dallas!! Hope all is well. Vogee13- GOOD LUCK in your upcoming business as well.

roxylady said:
Vogee13- I am new too, but I think in order for her to be able to place her order and take advantage of the "host special" the current host has to have a qualifying party. Now I could be wrong. I am looking into it. Meanwhile, I took
Sailortena's advice and let her know I am having trouble getting in contact with her friend. Maybe she can figure out what is happening. I pretty much have guessed she doesn't have any orders. But I can't believe she just wouldn't say that. I would much rather have the truth than the run around. On a better note, THANK YOU!!! and THANK YOU to Sailortena for your advice and encouragement. Sailortena- GOOD LUCK in Dallas!! Hope all is well. Vogee13- GOOD LUCK in your upcoming business as well.

Yes, the show would have to be a qualifying show in order for the past host to order the special.

I know what you mean about people not calling you and just saying, "I don't have any orders." It drives me crazy and it has happend to me on probably 60% of my catalog shows!! One lady hung up on me when I tried to call her! I wanted to call her back and give her a few choice words!!

What should I do if the show I was supposed to attend was cancelled after I arrived?

If the show was cancelled after you arrived, please reach out to your host and ask for details about the cancellation. You can also contact our customer service team for further assistance.

Will I still earn commission if the show is cancelled after I arrived?

If the show is cancelled after you arrived, you will still earn your commission as long as you have completed the demonstration and collected orders from guests. If you have not completed the demonstration, please reach out to your host for further instructions.

Can I reschedule the show if it was cancelled after I arrived?

Yes, you can reschedule the show with your host for a later date. Please make sure to communicate with your host and our customer service team to coordinate the rescheduling process.

Will my host still receive their host rewards if the show is cancelled after I arrived?

If the show was cancelled after you arrived, your host will still receive their host rewards as long as they have met the minimum requirements. Please make sure to communicate with your host and our customer service team to ensure they receive their rewards.

What happens to the orders if the show is cancelled after I arrived?

If the show is cancelled after you arrived, please reach out to your host to discuss how to proceed with the orders. You can also contact our customer service team for further assistance in processing the orders.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
PCJenni
Replies
Views
Admin Greg