• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Prioritize My New Business Over My Current One?

M
mistym
I dunno..something is not jiving right now and I am getting panicky about my PC biz. Recently I have been trying to set myself up as a fitness instructor. Its been a toll on my time, I took the certification which was a lot of studying, I work out 4-5 times a week plus all the promoting and advertising I am doing.

I know I can run both but the setup of this other biz seems to have taken a lot out of me both physically and mentally. By the time it comes to focus on PC I seem to be too drained. Hence i only have 2 shows and a fair for June.

For those have other home run businesses..is this normal...will things settle into a routine?? I am feeling down on myself for not doing more, but then I only have 24 hrs in the day - lol...

I am sorry to put this negative thread out there but I am curious...do I sound like I am making excuses or is it really ok to lay off PC until I am established with the new biz???...

Thanks Guys

Misty

Don't know about how "normal" it is/you are (he he), but I took a WHOLE BUNCH of time "off" after DH had back surgery in January. I didn't call anyone/do anything for Jan - March. Oh wait, I lied, I had one catalog show in February to keep from going inactive. But that was it.

Since the whole idea of PC is to do what you want, when you want, if you want the other biz to take off right now, then pull back on PC. Just make sure you do enough to stay active. That's my two cents... for whatever that is actually worth!

I agree. There are times when it seems like I have NO time for PC. Funny, b/c sometimes that's when it takes care of itself (people call me for catalog shows)...that comes with time. Keep active and do what you can/want. It IS a job though. It will always take time and energy to succeed, but with the flexibility, YOU choose when/how to do that. Don't stress...it IS normal...I think.

Like most women on this site, you are juggling many things at one time. The advice you've received thus far is great. I agree with my PC friends ~ do what you think you can and do one or two shows just to stay active. No matter what you'll be successful so hold on to that. You may be due for some "me time" as well. Are you married w/kids? That can be an added stress (as much as I love my family it's all very stressful to juggle at times). Okay, that's my two cents.

Haha, yes I have 2 kids...oops sorry I mean I have a husband and a one yr old.
Its really nice to hear this guys..I am my biggest critic so to hear you say "its ok" is nice. Hopefully it will take some pressure off and things will pick up again!

Keep the great advice coming!

With all your 2 cents I will be a millionaire

M

misty
ur so lucky, only 2 kids, i have 4! my husband, 2yr old son, and 2 goldens who are my biggest babies lol
and with a 1yr old at that stage of wanting to get into everything i dont blame you for feeling drained :) along with out hot muggy weather we finally have
the beauty of these direct sales businesses is that they work when you want them to:)
do as much pc as you can while establishing your other biz and everything will work out and fall into place for you
good luck, relax and enjoy
hope to meet at conference :)

Start-up in any business is stressful. I am confident that you'll settle into some semblance of a routine.

Last night I was part of a training call. The facilitator talked about the importance of concentrating on money-generating activities. Plan out your day. Group like activities--make your calls from 9 to 11, do computer work from 1 to 3, etc. Having a plan might help with some of that frazzled feeling.

And, finally, go easy on yourself. While PC is a business, it should be fun.

IPAs--Income Producing Activities. My husband and I always joke about that one. We went to a training together and that's one thing they kept harping on. Don't join any sports leagues because they aren't an IPA. Don't watch tv because it's not an IPA. Don't do anything that isn't an IpA!! I about had to scream!! That is NOT why I joined this. If that is how I have to work it I couldn't stay in business. It's yours to do with what you wish, honey! Two shows in June is a good start and sound comfortable to coincide with what you've already got on your plate. If nothing else just try to stay consistent with 1 or 2 a month. That goal should be easy and take a bunch of pressure off. They really coach us to be full-timers, but pssst....(don't listen to them :))

I agree. A life of only IPAs would be horrible! I'm sure you know I wasn't suggesting that.

What I was suggesting is that she might take a look at the PC work (and other business stuff) she's doing, and make sure it's where she wants to expend her energies. I know it's easy for me to get bogged down in doing things that are business related, but aren't income producing. Since I work nearly full time and run two home-based businesses, I don't really have time to waste doing business busywork.

(Not offended; just clarifying.)

Chef Kearns said:
They really coach us to be full-timers, but pssst....(don't listen to them :))

I totally agree! It took me awhile to realize that I could be successful in my own mind & not have to do as well as everyone in the CN. I've had a really hard time this year getting a good balance from PC & the rest of my life. My daughter is now 2 & wants more "mommy time" so I can't get much done when she's awake. Plus I'm 5 months pg with #2, which has completely drained my energy. And I watch my 3 year old nephew & my sister is due with #2 in July, who I'll watch when she goes back to work. I started when DD was 4 months & my nephew was 22 months, so they took more naps & didn't drain me as much with their energy. Now that they are older & 2 more are on the way, I've had a really hard time getting a routine. I realized I was trying to run 2 full time jobs, but since I was at home, I didn't really think I was working. So I've decided that I want to be in PC for the long run, so I'm going to do it part-time now (mostly just doing shows & not spending so much time at home with it--on phone, paperwork) & then going to full-time once the youngest kid starts some kind of school so I have some time to myself to work my biz. I've felt much better since making that decision!

So, I agree with the others. Spend time on starting up your other biz right now & just do enough with PC to get by/keep you satisfied. Then you can ease more & more in once you get going with the other biz. Good luck!!!

Chef K..I do think I get stressed because of the "full time" approach that PC has to the biz. I mean, understand why and kudos to EVERYONE who can do this. I think I just get carried away in thinking that I should also be doing this while forgetting that I do a HECK of a lot of other stuff. I love this term IPA....I always assess my day based on my IPA's whether it be PC or Fitness...I know that 90% of my days are focused on stuff that will generate income (be it now or in the future).

Thanks guys.....***cleansing breath***....you really are the best support a girl could have!

M

raebates said:
I agree. A life of only IPAs would be horrible! I'm sure you know I wasn't suggesting that.

What I was suggesting is that she might take a look at the PC work (and other business stuff) she's doing, and make sure it's where she wants to expend her energies. I know it's easy for me to get bogged down in doing things that are business related, but aren't income producing. Since I work nearly full time and run two home-based businesses, I don't really have time to waste doing business busywork.

(Not offended; just clarifying.)

I'm glad you weren't offended because I wasn't speaking about you. Your comment made me think of that training!:p

Nah. If someone wants to offend me they have to make it really clear--naming me specifically, using my address, phone number and birthday; using personal insults like stupid, ugly, useless . . . You get the idea.

Rae- you're not stupid, ugly and useless. You're brilliant, pretty and one of the most helpful people I know.

Aww... can't you feel the love coming through the internet?

I feel it! I do! Thanks, Ann.

I've mentioned this before, but I decided years ago that I would take things in their best possible light. Unless someone let me know in no uncertain terms that they were insulting me, I wouldn't take it that way. I'm much happier this way.

(Plus, it frustrates the heck out of those who are attempting to insult me. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy0188.gif)

Well, y'all have helped me too. I have had some struggles here lately and have to say I am hard on myself too. I work a full time job and am a single mother of a special needs child. I would love to do the 2 shows a week but have to say the 3 contacts a day is really really hard.

I get home and am so exhausted that I sit there staring thinking "I need to get on the phone". Gap a little bit more and say to myself "I really need to get on the phone". "Oh shoot, it is now 10 till 9:00, guess I will get a good nights sleep and make calls tomorrow" Little do I know it is a repeating cycle.

I am working hard on not being down on myself but it is helpful to see discussions about it too. I was excited that I had 4 shows booked for June but now my show for Saturday "cancelled". I hope to re-schedule her but doubt it will be for months when she described what was going on. I need to come up with some way to get sales or shows by making up for the time not going this weekend.

Try to take at least some of the time you had set aside for the cancelled party to work on your business. Make some calls. Send some emails. Whatever. You don't need to fill up the whole time. But it's one way to make up for a cancelled (let's hope postponed) show.

Related to Should I Prioritize My New Business Over My Current One?

1. Should I prioritize my new business over my current one?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact on your current business before making a decision. It may be beneficial to focus on one business at a time to ensure its success, rather than spreading yourself too thin.

2. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed when starting a new business?

Yes, starting a new business can be a daunting and overwhelming task. It is important to prioritize your tasks and delegate when necessary to prevent burnout.

3. Will things eventually settle into a routine?

As with any new venture, it may take some time for things to settle into a routine. It is important to remain patient and flexible as you navigate the challenges of starting a new business.

4. Is it okay to temporarily put my current business on hold?

If you feel that focusing on your new business is the best decision for your overall goals and success, then it may be okay to temporarily put your current business on hold. However, it is important to communicate with your current clients and make sure they are aware of the situation.

5. Am I making excuses or is it okay to prioritize my new business?

Only you can determine whether you are making excuses or making a necessary decision for your personal and professional growth. It is important to regularly assess your priorities and make adjustments as needed to achieve your goals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Barry Carlton
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
sandilou
  • Tammie Allen
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • KellieM's Kitchen