• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Offer Gas Money for Rides? A Dilemma with My Sister's Envelope System

In summary, my sister and I went to a funeral last weekend. My sister drove since we were taking her kids. She called and asked me if I wanted to go with her. The family member wasn't that close to the both of us but it is family so we decided to go. On the way home, we had to stop and get gas in her gas guzzling Explorer. After that stop, we were talking about money and she mentioned that she just blew their entire week's worth of gas to go to the funeral. I didn't think of it at the time but do you think I should call now - almost a week later - and offer some money for her driving?
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I don't know why this just popped into my head but I thought I would ask you guys here. My sister and I went to a funeral last weekend that was a 6 hour round trip. My sister drove since we were taking her kids. She called and asked me if I wanted to go with her. The family member wasn't that close to the both of us but it is family so we decided to go. On the way home, we had to stop and get gas in her gas guzzling Explorer. After that stop, we were talking about money and she mentioned that she just blew their entire week's worth of gas to go to the funeral (they are working on Dave Ramsey's envelope system). I didn't think of it at the time but do you think I should call now - almost a week later - and offer some money for her driving? I usually "tag" along to alot of things with them since there is room in their vehicle and so I don't have to drive by myself but never considered this part of things. My sister and I are best friends so we are really close and do alot of things together. But there are alot of times that I drive up to see her and her family (1 hour round trip). And they barely come down to see me. What would you do in my situation? I'm just curious as I'm sitting here at work trying to make the last hour go faster!

That's really nice. (I'm doing DR too!) If it's in your budget, I think it would be really nice to offer something to her. It's very thoughtful of you to care. :)

I would offer to payment for half the gas from the funeral and maybe chip in for gas in the future from time to time.

Being a family that's trying to save every penny we can for a house, I'd really appreciate that from my brothers/friends/etc from time to time.

Send her a gas gift card in the mail in a cute hallmark card - this way it makes her day and you feel at ease!!

PamperedDor said:
Send her a gas gift card in the mail in a cute hallmark card - this way it makes her day and you feel at ease!!

That's a cute idea. I like that.

I try to take care of my sister when I can. She's 8 years older than me and started her family young but due to my home situation I have spent alot of time with my sister since I was 10 so she always took me every with her and the kids even on a couple family vacations. Most of the time she would pay for me to do stuff with them since I was too young to have a job and never bothered our dad about it. It was actually hard when I became an adult and lived on my own for her to not just pay for me when we went out to dinner or did something as a family. I do try to do things for her as I can, including "free" babysitting of her kids (she has 5 but the two older ones don't need a lot of sitting), letting the older ones spend the night at our house, taking the kids out to dinner, taking the kids to activities, picking them up from day care when needed, etc. She is also my Pampered Sister! I do spoil her with a lot of PC things and she has done a lot of parties for me. For Christmas she got the 12" executive skillet and lid. I am also taking care of her little ones for 4 days while they go to Mexico with the older kids in April. Yikes, instant mommy of three!

I think I will send her a little gift.

I would give her a little something, especially since she didn't ask you for half..
I think a gas card would be a great idea..

I love the gas card idea........so thoughtful Doreen!

I think it's great that you thought of it and want to do something. Don't feel bad that you've never thought of it before. IMO, that means you aren't a mooch. From now on, now that you've thought of it, offer to help pay for gas on long trips when you get a ride with them.

The thing I hate is that we always have to take her Explorer because of all the kids and that thing is like twice as expensive to fill as my car and it gets less miles! But I will do something for her, she is my sister after all!

1. Should I offer gas money when my sister gives me a ride using her envelope system?

It ultimately depends on your sister's preferences and the agreement you have with her. Some people may feel that offering gas money is a polite gesture, while others may not expect it. It's best to communicate with your sister and ask her directly if she would like gas money for giving you a ride.

2. How much gas money should I offer?

The amount of gas money you offer should be based on the distance of the ride and the current gas prices. You can also consider offering a set amount per ride or a percentage of the total gas cost. Again, it's best to discuss this with your sister and come to an agreement that works for both of you.

3. Is it okay to offer gas money in the form of a gift card?

Yes, offering a gift card for gas is a thoughtful way to show appreciation for your sister's help. Just make sure the gift card is for a gas station that is convenient for her to use.

4. What can I do if I can't afford to offer gas money?

If you are unable to offer gas money, there are other ways to show your appreciation. You could offer to buy your sister lunch or a small gift, or you could help her with a task or errand to show your gratitude.

5. Should I offer gas money every time my sister gives me a ride?

Again, this depends on your agreement with your sister. If she is regularly giving you rides, it may be a good idea to offer gas money occasionally to show your appreciation. However, if you have a set arrangement where you help each other out with rides, it may not be necessary to offer gas money every time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies