• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I get the flu shot for myself and my children?

well, you get the idea. I never did it again and I don't really see the big deal. Just because you have a PHD doesn't mean you are qualified to make medical decisions for other people!
PampMomof3
Gold Member
Somebody posted a thread on CS regarding the flu shot and whether you get them or not. I said that I don't and will never. I also said that I won't get a shot nor give them to my children just to "prevent" something from happening. No one really knows what is is those shots! So Anniebee decides to start attacking me pretty much saying that I'm an ignorant parent. I don't think she came right out and said it but I'm done on that thread!!

Sorry, but this hits too close to home for me and it just irritates the crap out of me that I can't voice my opinon either!!!

This is what she wrote regarding my post:
1) It's not an "unknown', it's a dead virus and we know exactly what it does!
2) It can stop you or your child from getting seriously sick. Even a normal bout with the flu makes you or your child miserable for a week. Why would you not want to prevent this, let alone anything more serious
3) It CANNOT hurt you!

Sorry, it just bugs me when people won't get vaccinations that can stop them from getting sick, and also stop them from getting other people sick. Also, as a trained scientist (not medical) I get frustrated by all of the "misinformation" about vaccinations that has scared people off them, despite real research and results to the contrary.

UGH!! Back to rebuilding my end of year!! And going out to a pizzeria with my family!! Bye!

Shake it off Kristi!

I too have never had a flu shot and don't forsee getting one in the near future. My son only had the flu shot when he was a baby b/c his pediatrician really guilted me into doing it (and he was born during flu season). My son has never had another one and he has also never been sick (other than the occasional cough and runny nose - oh yeah he also had pink eye). But he has never had the high fevers and only thrown-up a handful of times, mostly when he was a baby (it really freaks him out when he does b/c it's so rare that it happens)

Don't worry about it. There are a handful of people over there that you could never change their opinion, but they are hell bent and determined to change yours. Just consider the source and it's easier to ignore :D

Kristi, she posted multiple times on that thread, so obviously she feels strongly about it and thinks her training makes her more credible. I'm with you--no flu shot. Don't let this get you down!

DebbieJ said:
Kristi, she posted multiple times on that thread, so obviously she feels strongly about it and thinks her training makes her more credible.
I'm with you--no flu shot.

Don't let this get you down!

You mean the magazine article she read? Or is she a nurse?

pamperedlinda said:
You mean the magazine article she read? Or is she a nurse?

she said she is a trained scientist or something

Kristi... don't let the turkeys get you down!

PS: I would have posted (and bear with me ... I'm in a mood!) Well then your kids will be fine when they are around my unflushoted kids!!!!

Incidentally, I don't get them either. I hate shots. My dad gives them to everyone here in the house and I refuse to get it. Of course whenever I sniffle, he reminds me that I didn't get it!!! :)

DebbieJ said:
she said she is a trained scientist or something

This is a copy and paste from CS:

Also, as a trained scientist (not medical) I get frustrated by all of the "misinformation" about vaccinations that has scared people off them, despite real research and results to the contrary.

No flu shot for me either!! All of my friends make me feel TERRIBLE that my kids haven't gotten it either. Oh well.
My DS's are 3 and almost 6 and neither one of them gets sick very often. DS #1 has been on an antibiotic just twice and #2 only once.
I am just going with my gut here and not getting it!
So nice to see I am not alone. Yet again, I feel so at home here. :)

DebbieJ said:
This is a copy and paste from CS:

Also, as a trained scientist (not medical) I get frustrated by all of the "misinformation" about vaccinations that has scared people off them, despite real research and results to the contrary.

LOL!!! Ummm....so how is that relevant?? LOL

I had a flu shot ONCE. I was forced to by my employer that year (I was a nurse). I got sicker than a dog with the flu that year. Normally if I get it at all I get very mild short term symptoms. Never again!

I got mine today and my arm hurts!! I've gotten one every year and never gotten the flu. I have no idea if it has anything to do with the shot or not, but I get them free at school. I say to each his own...why do we care what someone else does??? Some people definitely have some nerve. I would tell her that as long as she gets her kids immunized then it doesn't matter if your kids get the shot or not. If the shot works the way it should, then your kids carrying the flu bug won't make her or her kids sick :) :)

iteachurkid said:
I would tell her that as long as she gets her kids immunized then it doesn't matter if your kids get the shot or not. If the shot works the way it should, then your kids carrying the flu bug won't make her or her kids sick :) :)

Exactly!!! Thanks guys! Done!! :D

As a trained (really~I am a Medical Technologist with 20+ years in the medical setting) medical professional, I don't think everyone should get the flu shot~there are risk catagories when you seriously should, but being a normal, healthy person around other normal healthy people doesn't qualify as being in the catagory of needing the flu shot. For instance, my Dad has been getting the shot for years, under my recommendation, because he has always had very serious respiratory problems. I used to get the shot every year, but I was exposed to all kinds of patients carrying who knows what, and I felt it was important to prevent what I could.

Kristi~ NO ONE has any right to tell you what you can do for you or your kids. I can certainly express my opinion, but no one from a website such as CS or even DCS should feel that it is OK for them to preach to me about how I deal with my family. You hold your head high and don't worry about a thing from 'over there'...

just as a passing thought~does anyone remeber the post that our own Ann (baychef) posted about with the young lady that died after recieving the vaccine for Gardisil??? That alone should make folks think twice about vaccines, even the ones passed by the FDA~it takes a very, very long time to actually see the long term effects of a new drug/vaccine, so always be leary of ones zipped through FDA approval.

A few years ago my son got very sick with the flu. We ended up getting shots from that point on. However, that was our family decision. I would never question another family's decision.

We turned down the Gardisil for my daughter because I do not feel like there has been enough testing on it. Again, if another family chooses to get the shot, that is their choice. I am not wrong and they are not wrong. We choose what is the best decision for our family.

Some people just do not get that we all get to make choices for our families and those decisions are none of their *amn business.

P.S. I put the * in the word.

FYI - I am 37. One year I got a flu shot...that year I got SO sick with the flu (right after the shot) so I never did it again.
My kids are 6 and 10 - neither has ever had a flu shot.
Last year my mom - (age 63) got the flu shot and got sick as a dog. Don't think she'l; opt for the shot ever again either.

My kids are in the "recommended" category for the shots because of their asthma. I REFUSE to get the shot!! The 2 years I bowed down and got it for them they GOT the flu! Every year since I stopped getting the shot they haven't gotten sick. So, no shot for us!

My husband thinks I'm a nut, but I think it is a government conspiracy. Or some kind of testing. I know it sounds crazy, but hey I am Af. Amer and I KNOW that it has been done to my people before within the last 100 years. And do I need to bring up the mental illness that came back from the soldiers in Desert Storm? I saw there have been enough documented instances for this to not sound certifiably crazy.

My neighbor has a son with Aspberger's and she is so anti-shot. I'd love for that lady on CS to talk with my neighbor. She will cite all these medical reports and email them to you. Just get her started and she will provide you with the proof!

Chef Kearns said:
My kids are in the "recommended" category for the shots because of their asthma. I REFUSE to get the shot!! The 2 years I bowed down and got it for them they GOT the flu! Every year since I stopped getting the shot they haven't gotten sick. So, no shot for us!

My husband thinks I'm a nut, but I think it is a government conspiracy. Or some kind of testing. I know it sounds crazy, but hey I am Af. Amer and I KNOW that it has been done to my people before within the last 100 years. And do I need to bring up the mental illness that came back from the soldiers in Desert Storm? I saw there have been enough documented instances for this to not sound certifiably crazy.

My neighbor has a son with Aspberger's and she is so anti-shot. I'd love for that lady on CS to talk with my neighbor. She will cite all these medical reports and email them to you. Just get her started and she will provide you with the proof!

I seriously could not agree more!! LIke I said earlier, this really hits home for me b/c when I was pregnant I I started working for a chiropractor who are like parents to me. The dr does ALL kinds of research on vaccines and asked me if I was going to get the vaccines for my children. I said naturally yes b/c I had my shots when I was little. Well, my dh and I got the shots for our son and at his 9 months he received hit shots. He had such a bad reaction to the shots (up all night SCREAMING, seriously screaming at the top of his lungs, vomiting, fever, infection at the shot site)and I told his doctor. He said that was a normal reaction!!!:eek: i disagreed and started looking at the vaccines more closely. My son never received a shot again and 4 and 6 yr old have NEVER received any shot.

I feel like things happen for a reason and If i never took that job in 2000 then I would have no clue and would have believed the pediatrician. It's not been an easy choice with 2nd guessing yourself but we believe the proof is in the research. (Our chiro also works with A Lot of children with autism so don't get me started there either!! They ALL have said it's because of the vaccines!)

It is a family choice and I don't judge anyone who receives them. Just like I shouldn't be scoulded for our own personal choice! Thank you guys for making me feel better!

chefmeg said:
As a trained (really~I am a Medical Technologist with 20+ years in the medical setting) medical professional, I don't think everyone should get the flu shot

As a trained nurse (I was in the field for over 25 years) and a mother of 5 sons I have been exposed to a LOT. If I get sick it's a very mild case and gone in a day. I rarely called in sick to work. EXCEPT the one year that I had the flu shot. I got sicker than a dog with the flu that year. Nope, never again.

I do agree though that there are people who are at risk and it seems to help them but in my opinion it's a placebo. And many DO get the shot and still get the flu - the response? "Just think how bad you'd have gotten it without the shot." Okay.

I, like Beth, got them when I worked at the hospital. Got really sick, called off work for a week....I probably would have gotten the flu that year anyway, but I am sure it egged it on.

Not me -- I am not ready to go thru that again just yet.

Again, it's freedom of choice. Like with all the election stuff. I will do what I do and you can do what you do. That is what makes the U.S. such a great place!

Good for you who stick by your choice despite criticism. Bravo!

1. What can I do if my recipe turns out bad?

If your recipe turns out bad, don't worry! It happens to the best of us. First, try to identify the problem. Did you miss an ingredient or use the wrong measurements? If so, try again with the correct ingredients and measurements. If the issue is with the quality of the ingredients, consider using higher quality ingredients. You can also reach out to our customer service team for troubleshooting tips and support.

2. How do I prevent my food from burning in the oven?

To prevent your food from burning in the oven, make sure to follow the recommended cooking time and temperature for the recipe. You can also use an oven thermometer to ensure that your oven is heating to the correct temperature. If your food still tends to burn, try using a lower shelf in the oven or covering the dish with foil to prevent over-browning.

3. What can I do if my kitchen tools are not cutting or chopping properly?

If your kitchen tools are not cutting or chopping properly, it may be time to sharpen them. You can use a knife sharpener or take them to a professional for sharpening. It's also important to properly care for your tools by hand washing and drying them, as well as storing them safely to prevent dulling.

4. How can I make sure my food is cooked evenly?

To ensure your food is cooked evenly, make sure to properly preheat your oven, grill, or stovetop before cooking. You can also rotate your food halfway through cooking if necessary. Using high-quality cookware and kitchen tools can also help with even cooking.

5. What can I do if my food is sticking to the pan?

If your food is sticking to the pan, make sure to properly preheat your pan before adding the food. You can also use a non-stick cooking spray or oil to prevent sticking. If the food is still sticking, try using a spatula or tongs to gently loosen it from the pan. Using high-quality non-stick cookware can also help prevent sticking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dkitten13
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
Replies
Views
robochick84
  • aried
  • General Chat
Replies