• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Swine Flu Vaccine: Concerns for Children & Pregnant Women - Seeking Opinions

In summary, some parents at a daughter's playgroup were 50/50 about getting the H1N1 vaccine, with one recommending not getting it and the other recommending getting it. Another parent said they were going to search for a natural flu medicine to use if they get sick. Another said they were not getting the vaccine and did not trust it.

Will you be getting the H1N1 vaccine?

• YES

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • NO

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
WLMcCoy
I have a question.. Are you getting the H1N1 vaccine.

My main concern is my 2 year old daughter & that DH & I are trying to get pregnant. The vaccine is just so new, I'm afraid that there will be consequences later on for young children & pregnant women.

Some parents at my daughter's playgroup got on the topic today & it was 50/50. There was a lady there that's a nurse at a hospital said "yes, but.." & went on a big thing about how there's pros & cons & the testing yadda yadda. Two pregnant ladies were there and one said her gyno recommended it (but she said she doesn't want to get it) & the other lady's gyno recommended not getting it b/c it's so new & they don't really know the effects on the baby.

Just wanted some opinions. maybe you all will have a better outlook than I do.

Also someone said to get the shot & not the nasal b/c the nasal contains a live virus.

We won't be getting it for all of the same reasons you just stated.

I don't care how much advertising they do about how safe it is. It's virtually untested, and there have been too many instances with other drugs where the public was told they were absolutely safe, only to find out later that people were dying from them. I don't trust it.

Instead, I went to my local health food store and bought Oscillococcinum (Oscillococcinum : Natural Flu Medicine) to use if we start coming down with the Flu. It's good for all kinds of Flu, not just one kind, and it's actually been regulated by the FDA. I don't know why people don't know more about it, other than it's not from a major drug company, and Dr's don't get a kick-back on it.

ChefBeckyD said:
We won't be getting it for all of the same reasons you just stated.

I don't care how much advertising they do about how safe it is. It's virtually untested, and there have been too many instances with other drugs where the public was told they were absolutely safe, only to find out later that people were dying from them. I don't trust it.

Instead, I went to my local health food store and bought Oscillococcinum (Oscillococcinum : Natural Flu Medicine) to use if we start coming down with the Flu. It's good for all kinds of Flu, not just one kind, and it's actually been regulated by the FDA. I don't know why people don't know more about it, other than it's not from a major drug company, and Dr's don't get a kick-back on it.

Thanks.. I am going to search for the natural flu med. & pass the link on to the ladies in my playgroup!

I'm absolutely not doing this! I am currently nursing and I am not going to put myself or my family at risk. It is too new to go for it.

The 3 people I know who got the 'regular' flu vaccine this year, got sick. So a big fat NO to this new vaccine!
:confused:

After this guy took the vaccine and this happened, I decided to pass on it.

swine_flu.jpg

Both of my children have allergies and asthma. All of us are getting the H1N1 shot. Absolutely.

We have asthma as well and have already gotten regular flu shots, but I haven't decided about the h1n1. But I think we may have already had it

we wont be getting the flu shot, we dont get the regular shot so I am not subjecting them to the H1N1 shot either.

We're not getting it. I feel its too new.

The Furry Guy will be getting the regular flu shot at work, but not H1N1. I will not be getting any. As a diabetic I'm on the list of people who is supposed to get it, but I really hate shots. For a diabetic I am in really good health, so I don't consider myself at great risk. And, yes, I hate shots more than the flu.

As an individual with a compromised immune system due to several autoimmune diseases, my doctor is fully against me subjecting myself to the regular flu shot every year that has such a great unknown - I can't wait to hear is opinion on getting H1N1 next week when I am in. He is for alternative medications and naturopathic treatment if it is your thing. I currently take 1000 mg of Vitamin C along with a LOW dose of antibiotic every day to help my immune system have a fighting chance.

BTW, I am a "health care" worker by classification. I do research in medicine, so by proxy I am exposed at intermittent times.

1. What are the potential risks of the swine flu vaccine for children and pregnant women?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the swine flu vaccine is considered safe for children and pregnant women. However, there may be some mild side effects such as soreness at the injection site, fever, and body aches.

2. Is it necessary for children and pregnant women to get the swine flu vaccine?

The CDC recommends that children and pregnant women get the swine flu vaccine as they are at higher risk for complications from the virus. However, ultimately the decision is up to the individual and their healthcare provider.

3. Can the swine flu vaccine cause autism in children?

There is no evidence to support a link between the swine flu vaccine and autism in children. Multiple studies have been conducted and have found no association between the two.

4. Are there any ingredients in the swine flu vaccine that could be harmful to children and pregnant women?

The ingredients in the swine flu vaccine have been thoroughly tested and deemed safe for use in children and pregnant women. The most common ingredients include inactive viruses, preservatives, and adjuvants to help the body create a strong immune response.

5. Can pregnant women receive the swine flu vaccine at any stage of their pregnancy?

Yes, pregnant women can receive the swine flu vaccine at any stage of their pregnancy. It is recommended to get the vaccine during the second or third trimester to provide protection for both the mother and the baby.

Back