• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Contact a Military Host's Commanding Officer Over Payment Issues?

hopefully not with the same people as the other two.Hopefully Kris sees this and responds as well because she actually held a higher position of authority in the Army and may have dealt... hopefully not with the same people as the other two.
baychef
Silver Member
This one is a REAL sticky one and it involves a military host. I have this host (that has been a guest in the past too). A year or so ago as a guest this person we will call Sue, was a guest and her debit card did not go through. Then, her father passed away and she went home. Although she did know about the declined card and was going to pay me, it slipped her mind more than once so I just let it go and wrote it off.

Well, recently, Sue was a host. Her next door neighbor, Pat, couldn't make it but gave her an order. Another guest, Pam, paid by debit card. Both the neighbor and Pam's cards did not go through. I have tried to call Pat directly, left messages, etc. Sue, the host is too afraid to go over and ask for the $ because she got dirty looks from the neighbor. Sue already gave the neighbor her products.

Now, I have called Pam and she has given Sue the $. So I finally spoke with Sue and she was to send me Pam's money. After over a week, she still hasn't plus Pat has not paid. I am out almost $50.

Here is my military question. I see Pam is honest and is trying to follow through. Pat is a down right crook. Can I or should I try to reach her husband's commanding officer?

And if the host, Sue does not pay me the money Pam gave her, should I blow her in eventually too?

I really hate to do this but I have a feeling I am dealing with some real slick ones here.

Thanks in advance.

Do you know if these are all Army or AF personnel? Not that it's completely relevant, but each does handle some things differently. If you don't know, do you what base/post they are at?

Debi said:
Do you know if these are all Army or AF personnel? Not that it's completely relevant, but each does handle some things differently. If you don't know, do you what base/post they are at?

They are definately soldiers. I hate to do this, but I am sick of getting ripped off like this. Because of my connections at school, I may be able to find out there.

In my 9 years I have looked the other way when I have been ripped off. I have had 2 hosts stiff me for a combined total of $500. They will now be reported to the sheriff's office if this ever happens again but now they are smaller amounts and I know what to do when it is non military. I know military handle this different.

My heart hates to do this. These men and women are going on their 3rd and 4th deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. But I am generous in my business and feel that I am being stolen from.

If the cards were declined, how did you resolve the orders?I'm guessing you paid for them yourself and this is why you are now out the money?Lesson learned, right?

I've learned this lesson to (although not military).If a card doesn't go through and I am willing to write it off, I do.If not, I have the order sent to me (yes is it a pain but worth it to me not to be out the cash) and I hold the customer's products hostage until they pay. Normally they never pay so I just sell the products to someone else. At least that way I am only out the $$ temporarily until someone else buys it or the customer comes through. In thinking about it, I've never had a customer come through the with $$$... I don't know if it's embarrassment or shady people, either way they don't get the products unless they are paid for.

baychef said:
They are definately soldiers. I hate to do this, but I am sick of getting ripped off like this. Because of my connections at school, I may be able to find out there.

In my 9 years I have looked the other way when I have been ripped off. I have had 2 hosts stiff me for a combined total of $500. They will now be reported to the sheriff's office if this ever happens again but now they are smaller amounts and I know what to do when it is non military. I know military handle this different.

My heart hates to do this. These men and women are going on their 3rd and 4th deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. But I am generous in my business and feel that I am being stolen from.

Hopefully Kris sees this and responds as well because she actually held a higher position of authority in the Army and may have dealt with this herself. However, I would recommend you first contact the individuals telling them you will be contacting their CO (commanding officer) if you do not receive payment by....... Do keep in mind that mail from APOs usually takes about a week. That threat alone may get them off their butt. If it doesn't, follow through on the threat. You'll need to know their unit, if possible. If you don't have that information, or cannot get it, let me know and I'll help you find out who to contact. Again, I'm sure Kris could tell us.

Good luck!!

You're one of my favorite internet pals Ann, so I want to give you a straight answer.

This is essentially a civil legal matter between you and the spouse. The truth is, commanders interject themselves into this stuff less and less. It's essentially a civil legal issue...especially if we're talking about the spouse of a servicemember. (In many states it's not even legal to call someone's place of business about a debt.)

Most commanders work insane hours. Resources are limited and demands are non-stop. Running down money issues between a troop's wife and a local business isn't the best use of these leaders' time.

I feel for you being owed money. You can always inform the spouse that if payment isn't received you will be filing legal action...with a courtesy copy of that action going to the unit. Better yet, call JAG and ask what actions are legal and what the best procedure is (especially since I've been retired for awhile.)

(I've occassionally seen CID get in involved in debt cases, but those involved check fraud in the thousands.)

kris

legacypc46 said:
You're one of my favorite internet pals Ann, so I want to give you a straight answer.

This is essentially a civil legal matter between you and the spouse. The truth is, commanders interject themselves into this stuff less and less. It's essentially a civil legal issue...especially if we're talking about the spouse of a servicemember. (In many states it's not even legal to call someone's place of business about a debt.)

Most commanders work insane hours. Resources are limited and demands are non-stop. Running down money issues between a troop's wife and a local business isn't the best use of these leaders' time.

I feel for you being owed money. You can always inform the spouse that if payment isn't received you will be filing legal action...with a courtesy copy of that action going to the unit. Better yet, call JAG and ask what actions are legal and what the best procedure is (especially since I've been retired for awhile.)

(I've occassionally seen CID get in involved in debt cases, but those involved check fraud in the thousands.)

kris

And JAG is the base legal folks and CID is the Criminal Investigative Division for the base. Not cops exactly, kinda like mini-FBI. LOL!

I knew Kris would have better insight.

One other perspective to add. Although some soldiers would disagree, we treat our servicemembers with a lot more dignity and respect than in years past. There is a whole lot less 'baby-sitting.' Think of it this way: in the civilian world, you wouldn't expect to receive a call from the MK lady about one of your employee's wives owing money. :)

Thanks, Debi, for providing the clarifications. I was thinking about you last night. I attended Sandi's cluster meeting; Nikki and Marci were there...it felt like old home week. We missed you. Hope to see you soon in Orlando...you have a standing invite. I get back in early June...hot as hell, but there's a pool! (sorry, hijack over)

p.s. I do what Colleen does: have the order sent to me and hold the products hostage. I got terribly burned my first month in the business by someone and learned that hard lesson right up front. :(

Thanks for the advice everyone! I know that for my other job we have to deal with non-payment for school meals, bounced checks, etc. and we do not contact the CO.

My secretary's husband retired from the military just as the Iraq war started. He had JUST boarded a plane from his year in Korea as they were sending troops directly from Korea to Iraq. He is now a school lunch manager and does call CO's but I have a much larger population of military families.

We do treat military families as we do civilians in my other job and I would prefer to do so in PC. Or I may do as Colleen does and write it off. Once I pay for certified letters, etc. it will be a wash. I am very disappointed in the host as she herself is in direct sales. She has another party booked things will be different. I will not allow any debit or credit cards to be used for her party. Cash or nothing.

And for the most part, Deb, I have not had this problem. Colleen can you have the show sent to you once it has been submitted? In this case the host is being as dishonest as the neighbor so she handed them over readily.

I guess I am just disappointed at how dishonest people can be...no matter what their job is! Glad most people are cut from different cloth.

Thanks everyone! Will let you know if anything is resolved. The host has been hanging on to $20 for a month now that one person paid. I have asked her to send it. May get the customer to send it to me directly and let her deal with her dishonest friend!

DebbieJ said:
If the cards were declined, how did you resolve the orders?

I'm guessing you paid for them yourself and this is why you are now out the money?

Lesson learned, right?

I called the host and asked her if she would collect the money. She contacted one right away but has hung onto the $. The neighbor she is "afraid of"...I write this with sarcasm because she is not the fraidy type person...AT ALL!!

I still have some brain fog on this one Ann. Any chance you can just tell her what an awkward predicament it is for you. I mean, you knooooow she isn't stealing, but until she gives you that money, she's kinda forcing you to label it that way with your accountant (or some such gooblygook). As for the neighbor, can you call her and explain the charge didn't go thru and there was a communication disconnect with the host. Most people pay up when you tell them directly that you understand they aren't trying to not pay...since that would be stealing.;)

I just saw your question to Colleen about rerouting a show that hasn't shipped. I did that several times in the past by talking with customer service. Don't know if its still an option.

legacypc46 said:
I still have some brain fog on this one Ann. Any chance you can just tell her what an awkward predicament it is for you. I mean, you knooooow she isn't stealing, but until she gives you that money, she's kinda forcing you to label it that way with your accountant (or some such gooblygook). As for the neighbor, can you call her and explain the charge didn't go thru and there was a communication disconnect with the host. Most people pay up when you tell them directly that you understand they aren't trying to not pay...since that would be stealing.;)

Thanks, Kris. Yes, I have tried to call the neighbor and she won't pick up or return a call. I have talked to the host a few times and have asked her to send the money but she doesn't. I haven't pursued this matter further but I am about to "rattle the tree" again on it.

I am also going to ask a fellow direct sales person the lives on post and ask her how she handles it. She may be able to help.

What is "Another Military Chicks..."?

"Another Military Chicks..." is a cooking club dedicated to supporting military spouses and families through the power of cooking and community.

Who can join "Another Military Chicks..."?

Anyone who is a military spouse or family member is welcome to join "Another Military Chicks...". We also welcome active duty military members who are interested in cooking and supporting their community.

What types of recipes and cooking techniques does "Another Military Chicks..." focus on?

Our club focuses on a variety of recipes and cooking techniques, ranging from simple and quick meals to more advanced and intricate dishes. We also offer resources for special dietary needs, such as gluten-free or vegetarian options.

How often does "Another Military Chicks..." meet?

We typically meet once a month, but the frequency may vary depending on the needs and availability of our members. We also offer online resources and discussions for those who are unable to attend in-person meetings.

Are there any membership fees to join "Another Military Chicks..."?

No, membership to "Another Military Chicks..." is completely free. We believe in supporting our military community and do not want finances to be a barrier for anyone who wants to be a part of our cooking club.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • chefkathy
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • quiverfull7
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies