• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Shortening Your Show: Strategies to Make Yours Shorter

you're there, see it, touch it, try it...show.I think the interactive show could be the best of both types of shows. It takes the pressure off from someone who is nervous or uncomfortable doing a demo, and it also demos the products in front of the guests. More like a...you're there, see it, touch it, try it...show.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I noticed that HO is trying to promote shortening your show. I was wondering how long do your shows last and what steps are you taking to make it shorter.

Right now, mine is about an hour. I don't demo during my show. I do introductions (which can take a while depending on how many people are there), product talk, host information, recruiting, door prizes, done. I don't really see a way to make mine any shorter. So I wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

My demo - from start to finish - is always 40-45 minutes. I seem to have an internal clock that tells me it's time to wrap up!:D I do a demo, talk about favorite products, tell my story - recruiting spiel, go over host and guest specials for the months I am trying to book.....I don't always do introductions - but when there is dead air, I ask for introductions and favorite product recommendations...

I do introductions, talk about the specials, do a demo, clean up and check people out. From the time I start talking till I walk out the door is usually about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I would love to make it shorter though.

I used to do the whole introductions and favorite product thing, but it added a lot of time to the show. (And I got stories about the products I would rather not hear - ask anyone who was at the Wed. meet n greet at Leadership about the pudding story.) Eliminating that shortened my show by about 20 minutes. I still invite people to talk about what they have, but it's built into the demo. I'll mention a tool, then ask, "Who has this? What do you use it for? Do you love it?"

I try to keep mine to 45 minutes, but after I go through the door prize slip and how to order, it's probably closer to an hour.

Cutting out the introductions would be about the only thing to shorten my show but I like doing that. Let's me get to know my guests more and to have them talk about the products.

The longest part is after the show! It seems to take forever for people to check out at my parties sometimes. Then there are people still looking at my stuff so I don't pack up right away. I don't like having a show at 7 and not leaving until almost 10 on some nights.

That's a good idea about incorporating it into the demo. I think I'll try that at my next show. I'd really like to make my shows shorter.

wadesgirl said:
The longest part is after the show! It seems to take forever for people to check out at my parties sometimes. Then there are people still looking at my stuff so I don't pack up right away. I don't like having a show at 7 and not leaving until almost 10 on some nights.
I think this is where interactive shows will really help. Because guests will be right up next to you and helping, they'll see the products up close DURING the demo. So there won't be as much browsing afterward.

chefann said:
I think this is where interactive shows will really help. Because guests will be right up next to you and helping, they'll see the products up close DURING the demo. So there won't be as much browsing afterward.
I've been wavering back and forth about doing a demo during my show. Sometimes I feel like people get sick of me talking, talking, talking and other times, I know that I don't entertain very well while I'm cooking. Some of the recipes I want to offer would be better demoed during the show rather than me making it before hand and then have to rush to do dishes, set up, ect.

Maybe I need to make a pro's and con's list of demoing, not demoing.

wadesgirl said:
I've been wavering back and forth about doing a demo during my show. Sometimes I feel like people get sick of me talking, talking, talking and other times, I know that I don't entertain very well while I'm cooking. Some of the recipes I want to offer would be better demoed during the show rather than me making it before hand and then have to rush to do dishes, set up, ect.

Maybe I need to make a pro's and con's list of demoing, not demoing.

I think the interactive show could be the best of both types of shows. It takes the pressure off from someone who is nervous or uncomfortable doing a demo, and it also demos the products in front of the guests. More like a bunch of friends just getting together and doing some cooking.

I've tried to get people to help me out while I'm doing a demo, but it seems like people are too shy. So then when I ask for volunteers and there is silence I feel uncomfortable and I feel like I've made them uncomfortable. Any suggestions as to how to get people to participate?

ChefMoore said:
I've tried to get people to help me out while I'm doing a demo, but it seems like people are too shy. So then when I ask for volunteers and there is silence I feel uncomfortable and I feel like I've made them uncomfortable. Any suggestions as to how to get people to participate?

I had to demo (read: forgot the ingredients at my sister's house so had to run back to get them) during a show once and had the same thing. I asked for volunteers and no one stepped up. Then I asked the lady sitting closest to me if she would like to help and she said no.

ChefMoore said:

I read (I think in a post here on CS) about having people choose a tool when they come in, and then when you get to that point of the demo, having them use the tool.....and someone else said to get rid of the chairs in the demo area - so they have to stand around the demo, instead of getting comfy in chairs and not wanting to get back up to help.

I've tried the standing around the demo area idea, but I haven't tried choosing a tool...that's a good idea. I'll have to try that! Any other suggestions would be appreciated too! I feel like if people would try out the tools themselves, they would see how great they are and it would boost my sales!

ChefBeckyD said:
I read (I think in a post here on Chef Success) about having people choose a tool when they come in, and then when you get to that point of the demo, having them use the tool.....and someone else said to get rid of the chairs in the demo area - so they have to stand around the demo, instead of getting comfy in chairs and not wanting to get back up to help.
I think the idea of having them choose a tool is great. I'm going to try it tonight! I asked for volunteers last night and it was like I was pulling teeth.

I really try to keep my demo at or under 45 minutes, but sometimes, like last night, there is chaos everywhere. It makes it hard to stick to a time. (Toddlers running around, pulling on my apron strings, banging toys. Babies crying, people not coming until about 1/2 hours late.) I'm all for short shows, but it's great when guests are asking lots of questions and getting involved. If I stick to one recipe, it really helps.

I did the 'around the table' format.

the host really liked it, she said it seemed to hold everyone's attention...sometimes they get bored just sitting there.

I started in the Living Room for my introduction, thank you for hosting/coming, talk about the Host Specials/Guest Specials, RUFTH trivet, Who brought a friend or her order for a SBRC, etc... Then we all went into the kitchen around the table. So that was less time for them to stand.

I just need to say "hey suzy come try the food chopper" instead of asking if someone would like to try it.

And since everyone is STANDING...it made me go faster.
I still passed things around, and even still did the "Got it Love it" and had the host pass out the candy, so I wasn't stopping to do that.

I didn't time myself...Like Becky I seem to have an internal clock that says, "That's enough, let 'em eat." But I think it may even be shorter than 45 minutes. The standing up part/demo - after introduction and announcements - probably 30 minutes max.

The show is at $1433 right now with 3 bookings. (closing in 3 days)
YIPPPEEE...I can change my 'highest show total" ! ! !

If you went to Leadership, don't forget to email them your results!

I love the idea of starting in the living room since that's where people congregate, but then moving everyone to the kitchen/dining room. That would liven everyone up too.

I would love my shows to be short. I've been doing well lately, I think. I love them to get to gabbing b/c that means they have a fun time too and sell to each other. I just want to be sure that they just "have" to have products that they didn't know they needed when they showed up.

ChefMoore said:

Have the host do the first step, and then have her choose a guest to do the next step, and then they choose the next person, etc...

I had a show on Sunday that I actually set everything up on the host's dining room table. All the guests sat around the table (there were 8 guests) and they did the entire recipe. I just read off what they needed to do. We made the Strawberry Cream Trifle (from SB S/S '08) and it is a SUPER fast recipe (only 4 steps) and they all LOVED it!!!

I have always been one to love having everyone introduce themselves and tell me about their fav product. I always liked that because I would talk about the benefits of that product too and that helped me to sell the product. I think I am going to start getting name tags and then have everyone put their fav product under the name. That way, if it is a product that is in the recipe or I want to mention it, I can say that "Susan has wrote the Food Chopper as her fav product, let me tell/show you how it works, etc." It won't take up as much time, but friends can see what other friends like.

I am getting really excited about the Interactive shows now that I have started watching the video. I can't wait to watch the last show on it today!

My last show we had 3 stations: soup, corn muffins, and garlic bites. I let guests know the stations and to pick one. This eliminated guests not doing anything. (teacher in me. everyone can do something). They loved it! Two kids helped make the garlic bites.

At my show last night (booked off the other), I overheard the mom talking about how great the interactive show was and that her kids were even asked to help. One guest when she found out we were only making ONE thing: brownies, said "Only one thing tonight? I had so much fun with the stations".

It works! I'm down to 1 1/2 hours from start to me leaving. I booked 4 last night! I'm doing the stations tomorrow at my show with 11+ people. It should be fun.

I'm not a big fan of doing 2 recipes, but it worked out well at my recruit's Grand Opening show today. She did the Power Cooking in the kitchen with about 10 of the guests (browned the meat beforehand, so they just put 1 recipe together to finish and bagged the other 2) in the kitchen, and I did the Chocolate Velvet Cake with Strawberries in the Dining room. We both did them interactive. It went SO fast, and we were completely done and taking orders in an hour. Someone even made Sangria during that time (with the Mandoline and QSP, of course!).If you don't have 2 people to be "consultants", you could always have the host direct one recipe and you direct the other. I will probably only suggest this if a host has about 20 people coming to her show, so that everyone can interact with a recipe. Then take about 5 min. to talk about upcoming specials, do the drawing, and explain the sales receipt, then start taking orders. That's it!I'm loving this new format! I think it really makes the job of a consultant seem so "do-able" to so many people! YAY Pampered Chef! :D

ChefMoore said:
I do introductions, talk about the specials, do a demo, clean up and check people out. From the time I start talking till I walk out the door is usually about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I would love to make it shorter though.

My director said this at the last cluster meeting --- At the end of your show say "once you have finished your orders, help yourself to some food. Place your completed orders here and I will pull from the bottom of the pile and get you when I am ready". She says that sales will be higher this way -- since people aren't going -- "oh no look at the time". They actually fill out their order form.

I tried this for two shows -- the first one took at least 30 minutes less time. I knew both hosts -- so it wasn't a "fair test". But it does seem to be a smoother check out.

From show start until I leave in my car has been takin 3 hours. This includes sitting down with the host at the end. My demo is about 1 hour. Adding the "fill out the order forms first". Seems to shorten things to 2 1/2 hours.

wadesgirl said:
I had to demo (read: forgot the ingredients at my sister's house so had to run back to get them) during a show once and had the same thing. I asked for volunteers and no one stepped up. Then I asked the lady sitting closest to me if she would like to help and she said no.
I have made step cards for the recipes that I am demonstrating at my shows. So each step of the recipe has its own tool and on the back is some info about the tool such as what it is made of, dishwasher safe or not and the warranty info. This gives the person using the tool a little extra info about the tool. I don't ask the guests if they want to try the tools, I pass out the cards at the beginning of the show and tell them that the host has volunteered them for an interactive show. It seems to work pretty well, it even allows for the older kids to get involved, they like to use the baker's roll and the dcg. I have done all of my cooking shows that way except 1 and my sales were definitely higher at my interactive shows.
To make the cards I had my dh set up an excel document with the recipe step on the front and the product info on the back. I then print it on copy paper and take them to kinko's to laminate them. It costs $2 for the whole sheet then I cut them apart.

If you want more info pm me and I will give more info. HTH

Cookin' Mama said:
I have made step cards for the recipes that I am demonstrating at my shows. So each step of the recipe has its own tool and on the back is some info about the tool such as what it is made of, dishwasher safe or not and the warranty info. This gives the person using the tool a little extra info about the tool. I don't ask the guests if they want to try the tools, I pass out the cards at the beginning of the show and tell them that the host has volunteered them for an interactive show. It seems to work pretty well, it even allows for the older kids to get involved, they like to use the baker's roll and the dcg. I have done all of my cooking shows that way except 1 and my sales were definitely higher at my interactive shows.
To make the cards I had my dh set up an excel document with the recipe step on the front and the product info on the back. I then print it on copy paper and take them to kinko's to laminate them. It costs $2 for the whole sheet then I cut them apart.

If you want more info pm me and I will give more info. HTH
That's what I'm doing with the new interactive shows. I need to make new cards for the new recipes. I thought about putting products and information on there but sometimes I forget a product or the product I have out doesn't match the actual recipe the host reads. So I made a master copy for myself of the steps and products so I know what I am putting out. Then I talk about the recipe while they are doing their step. Laminating is a must! I didn't for the last two recipes of this season and Jerk Chicken Nachos are very messy to make!

1. What are some tips for shortening my Pampered Chef show?

One strategy is to make sure your recipes are simple and easy to follow. This will help you save time during the demonstration portion of your show.

2. How can I keep my show within a specific time frame?

One way to stay on track is to plan out your show in advance and time each segment. This will help you identify areas where you may need to cut back or speed up.

3. Can I still make sales with a shorter show?

Absolutely! The key is to make sure you are showcasing the most popular and in-demand products. Focus on the benefits and features of these products to entice your audience to make a purchase.

4. What should I do if I have a lot of guests attending my show?

In this case, it may be helpful to have an assistant or co-host who can help with the demonstration and keep things moving along smoothly. You can also consider breaking up the show into smaller segments with breaks in between to keep your guests engaged.

5. How can I make sure my audience stays engaged during a shorter show?

One way to keep your audience engaged is to involve them in the demonstration. This can be done by having them help with tasks, asking for their feedback, or encouraging them to try samples. You can also incorporate interactive games or activities to keep things fun and interesting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Triciascucina
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Triciascucina
  • jbechtel
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • karenschulte