• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Shocking Twist: When Your Best Friend Joins a Competing Direct Sales Company!

In summary, Diane's friend is considering joining PC, but is considering selling candles instead. Diane offers her support and encouragement, and reminds her that there are DS businesses for everyone.
pcchris
Silver Member
I can't even believe this one! I've been working with my BEST friend (of 30, yes 30 years) to get her to join PC for about 2 months now...thought I had her pretty close to joining. She called me tonight to ask if I would host a PARTYLITE show for her, as she just signed on to sell CANDLES! :eek: I just about fell over!! :mad: AFter my initial shock, I asked her (calmly, of course) why she wanted to sell the other stuff, and she said (and I quote):
"more people will buy candles than cooking stuff. I can buy cooking stuff cheaper at Wal Mart". I thought...not even worth it to explain the difference between awesomePC and junk from somewhere else. I'm flabbergasted!

Just needed to vent - has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?
Don't worry, I'll talk to her again sometime in my lifetime...LOL!!!

I feel for you, because the same thing happened to me in August. My best friend (also for over 30 years) decided to start selling Home Interiors. I was disappointed, but on the other hand, she felt that was more of her "thing". She's doing well with it and is still a great customer and host (and yes, still best friend).

I know you're disappointed, but don't write her off yet!! She may find that candles aren't her "thing" and may come crawling back!

Diane

P.S. You can tell her that WalMart sells candles, too; they're not too far away from the kitchen gadget aisle;) .

I'm so sorry. know you're disappointed.Look at it this way-- maybe she is not the businesswoman you'd want for your team. I mean, she might not realize that people "buying more candles" doesn't exactly mean "spending more money on candles than they would on cookware." I can't imagine what their average shows do. And average sale? Nah. Bless her heart.

I have had this happen a couple of times with different DS businesses and friends. They will come to me and (sheepishly) tell me that they joined such and such business.

I just tell them that it's okay. I explain that one of the things I love about the time we live in is that there is a DS business for everyone. For some it's candles, for others it's make up, or skin care, or vitamins, or adult only stuff, or food specific stuff, or jewelry, etc. If they have found something they can be PASSIONATE about, that's all I want.

I must confess that I have actually encouraged a couple of friends to join a different DS company, because I knew that TPC would not be a good fit for them, but the other product line was right up their alley!

For me, it's TPC. I love to cook, and I love to teach, and it's been a perfect fit. It took me a couple of DS businesses to find it, and even after I did, I was still looking elsewhere (but not no more!).

So, don't close that door. She may find that after awhile, PL is not what she thought it would be, and she will remember that you were generous and kind, offered her support, and did not make her feel bad about doing something else.

HTH!

Last edited:
I just had a friend ask if I would have a Tastefully Simple show for her. She said she was thinking of signing and wanted to get her shows in order.
Hmmm? I then asked if if she would like to come to a cluster meeting with me before she decided to sign but I lost :(

I guess she doesn't realize that Walmart sells candles cheaper than Partylite too?! Congratulate her on her new business and move on. This may be just the thing for her. I have a friend who loves her jewelry business and there is no way I could ever sell that. It is just not me! She may do great with this or it may open her eyes to the direct selling business and she might decide PC is a better deal after comparing notes. Either way, be happy for her.

I have a good friend who has hosted 2 $1000 shows for me...never interested in joining PC, but just started selling BeautiControl. I think in the long run, although I feel PC is a much better opportunity, that BC is a better fit for her. She loves doing it, and she'll still be a great host for me.:D
When I think of selling BC, or MK, or PL.....I shudder - can't imagine doing it. There are probably people out there that feel the same way about PC. (hard to believe I know!)

I'm sure your friendship will survive . . . . . eventually. ;)

My thought is that if she truly believes she can "buy cooking stuff cheaper at Wal-Mart," she wouldn't make a good PC Consultant. We recognize the difference between price and cost. The price of an egg slicer at Wal-Mart may be less, but the cost (once you've replaced it three or four times) is a lot higher.

Wish her well (once you're speaking again, of course). Buy the occasional candle. Should she ever discover the true value of PC, offer her the opportunity with a smile. (You get to decide whether to say, "I told you so.")

It sounds to me that she is just trying to justify her decision and make excuses to try to avoid hurting your feelings since she knows that you wanted her to join PC.
I'm sure it was a shock to you but it sounds like she knew it would be.

One of my best friends just signed on to Premier Designs. She did the same thing about trying to justify her decision to me. After I assured her that I thought it was great I offered to host a show. I'll be able to share with her things that I have learned and I'm sure that there are things she can teach me as well.

Good Luck. Be supportive. Everything happens for a reason.

Ouch - I ha dthis happen with a neighbor who spent weeks and hours asking me about PC...came to a show with me...etc. Then signed with Discovery Toys...and her business is tanking. No shows...no money...no interest in her products. Oh well...

My friend and neighbor signed with another company after I talked to her about PC. It happens. As others have said, this other company is more up her alley and she is passionate about it.

I'd wish her well, host a show for her, and be happy she's not on your team with an attitude like that.

Yeah my best friend is doing Mary Kay...but she is a Hair dresser. I guess it fits with everything. I talked with her director, because she got points if she got me on the phone and the director was all about resales and that how PC products were so good, I would never get resales because people would have stones for years. I am like, is this lady hearing what she is saying. "the products are so good" I mean won't the customer keeep coming back????? I know people run out of makeup...but I have run out of MK before and never bought it again...ICk......LOL

It is probably for the best dear. You don't want someone who'd rather get their kitchenware from Walmart marketing PC products anyway! Truth be told, I get my candles from Walmart!

Shonda1107 said:
Truth be told, I get my candles from Walmart!

Same here LOL

OOOO ....Love the Yankees..I should be a spoke woman for them..LOL

My neighbor just announced at Bunco that she's going to sell SXX toys. I will not be hosting a party!

I do not understand how the "SXX" (lol) consultants get bookings!! Who do they ask??? LOL

I guess this happens a lot!!! I didn't realize that!!! I was talking to a good friend of mine about joining PC and she was very interested. Her only concern was the bookings. A couple months later, I invited her to a Stampin Up workshop and she emails me back to tell me she decided to become a SU demonstrator!

Actually, this friend has never bought any PC from me, even though she loves to cook. I did give her a couple of small PC gifts in the past, but for some reason, she's never purchased from me. Come to think of it, I have a couple of friends who refuse to buy PC due to price and also refuse to host a show! Whenever a friend of mine starts a DS business, I'm always happy to buy something from her to help her out...oh well. Bless and release, as all of you say! Can't hold grudges..

cat said:
I guess this happens a lot!!! I didn't realize that!!! I was talking to a good friend of mine about joining PC and she was very interested. Her only concern was the bookings. A couple months later, I invited her to a Stampin Up workshop and she emails me back to tell me she decided to become a SU demonstrator!

Actually, this friend has never bought any PC from me, even though she loves to cook. I did give her a couple of small PC gifts in the past, but for some reason, she's never purchased from me. Come to think of it, I have a couple of friends who refuse to buy PC due to price and also refuse to host a show! Whenever a friend of mine starts a DS business, I'm always happy to buy something from her to help her out...oh well. Bless and release, as all of you say! Can't hold grudges..

I made the decision a few years ago to actively remember that I have control of absolutely no one but myself. I am responsible for my behavior alone. The most successful way for me to live is to behave in the way I would want to be treated. (This is definitely a Scriptural way to behave. I'm not perfect at it, but I do my best.) Sounds like you're doing that. Trust me--you'll feel better at the end of the road than they will.

P.S. You can tell her that WalMart sells candles, too; they're not too far away from the kitchen gadget aisle;) .[/QUOTE]

and candles at walmart are cheaper than those with candlelite!! :D

Shonda1107 said:
Truth be told, I get my candles from Walmart!

Me too... My best friend sells gold canyon though. She finds its HER thing. She HATES cooking or anything to do with it. So she wouldn't be a GREAT consultant anyway. If her heart isn't into it, she would basically be spinning her wheels. :/ I think like Shonda said. It is for the best...

I too had a friend constantly asking me about PC for months. Then I didn't hear from her for weeks - she didn't return my calls and avoided me at our "functions" where I saw her. I could feel a "distance" in our conversations when we did talk. She then told me she decided to sign up with "Taste of Home". I never even heard of them. But when she talked to me about it, it does sound more like her style (entertaining focused). We have had a few great talks about Direct Selling and I've been very supportive of her - telling her how to get started, etc. Unfortunately, she still seems to feel uncomfortable around me. :( I never did anything to harm the friendship, but I think she feels "threatened" by my business - like I'm competition now. She hasn't called me in weeks. We used to talk once a week and I considered her a close friend. Sad actually. :( :( I should call her. I even requested to be invited to her Kick off show, but never heard anything about it. She doesn't seem to be the go-getter I thought she would be with her business though. So that may have caused some tension if she did sign under me. Oh, well! Try to support your friends new venture as best you can!
Joanne

SusanBP0129 said:
I do not understand how the "SXX" (lol) consultants get bookings!! Who do they ask??? LOL

I actually own my own NAUGHTY party business. It is REALLY hard to get out there and sell these types of products. I commend the ladies who actually try to make a go of it. There are times when you will get 1000.00 shows (no kidding) then there are times when there are like 2-3 orders. :rolleyes: I personally have a TON more fun doing pampered chef. But I keep my other business just for the added income. I mean money is money. :)

SusanBP0129 said:

YEAH - gives a whole new meaning to "I party for a living"!!:eek:

PCGINA said:
YEAH - gives a whole new meaning to "I party for a living"!!:eek:

Hey now. ;)

Gosh Margie- I guess you can't advertise in the church bulletin, huh?? LMAO!!

gilliandanielle said:
Gosh Margie- I guess you can't advertise in the church bulletin, huh?? LMAO!!

Hey, you wouldn't BELIEVE all the "ladies" out there. Some might surprise you! LMAO!:eek:

pcchris said:
I can't even believe this one! I've been working with my BEST friend (of 30, yes 30 years) to get her to join PC for about 2 months now...thought I had her pretty close to joining. She called me tonight to ask if I would host a PARTYLITE show for her, as she just signed on to sell CANDLES! :eek: I just about fell over!! :mad: AFter my initial shock, I asked her (calmly, of course) why she wanted to sell the other stuff, and she said (and I quote):
"more people will buy candles than cooking stuff. I can buy cooking stuff cheaper at Wal Mart". I thought...not even worth it to explain the difference between awesomePC and junk from somewhere else. I'm flabbergasted!

Just needed to vent - has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?
Don't worry, I'll talk to her again sometime in my lifetime...LOL!!!

I sell both PL and PC- Maybe she will turn it around!

KirstenAnne said:
I sell both PL and PC- Maybe she will turn it around!

Yeah, and she is a great PL consultant ;)

SOOOO, I just found out that another friend of mine (this one IS a past host)just signed up to be a Stampin Up Demonstrator...that's 2 people in less than 4 weeks!! Well, at least I'll be well stocked on stamps!:rolleyes:

All of you ladies that have these friends that went with another DS company- and I have a couple, too!- make sure these are the friends you call when you have those $1000 shows, new recruits, 4 or 5 bookings at a show, etc!!! Or better yet, when you win a trip!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah no kidding. Then ask what are they doing??! and then.. LISTEN. ;)

yea me too
Jilleysue said:
OOOO ....Love the Yankees..I should be a spoke woman for them..LOL

My husband dreads the thought of me going to the mall. That means stopping at that store (as he calls it). Problem is, I never leave empty handed or without spending $75.:confused: Oh well, the house smells good though :D

The trips and prizes are great with PC, I had a friend recently signed with tupperware. I'm not mad she's great at it. Plus, I get added benefits from it. Guess who she calls when the consultant specials come up. : ) So not only do I get the great PC offers I also get discounted items through her. I have the best of both worlds and only had to sign 1 contract. hehehe

I also have a friend who used to sell Tupperware. The great thing was that I got several orders from her customers when they would talk about liking the PC version of certain things better. She considered it great customer service. I considered it one of the many perks of being her friend.Darn, I wish she hadn't given up that job!

MicheleC said:
Congratulate her on her new business and move on. This may be just the thing for her. She may do great with this or it may open her eyes to the direct selling business and she might decide PC is a better deal after comparing notes. Either way, be happy for her.

Amen! It takes all kinds of people to make the world go around...just make sure she still has PC shows for you in the future!

Choices like these should NEVER come between friends! Direct Sales takes all avenues, and there is something out there for everyone! In the end, we all must live with our choices, and if this is what she wants to do, more power to her!

here is a new one....what do you do when your "good friend" decides to host a PC party with a different consultant, just so she can mingle in her circle of customers to promote her jewelry business.:(

Bless and release.BTW, love your tag line!

I've been with PC for a year and my wife is not a PC user. She has always loved Tupperware though, so I signed up with Tupperware also. So far the majority of my PC customers aren't interested in Tupperware. Now I can keep my customers happy with PC and my wife happy with Tupperware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedchef88
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • LibrarianChef
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
strtngnw
  • amy07