• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Shaving Chocolate: What Tool to Use?

In summary, the best tool to use for shaving chocolate is a sharp vegetable peeler or a microplane grater. While a regular cheese grater can be used, it is not recommended as it can cause uneven shavings. To prevent the chocolate from melting while shaving, make sure both the chocolate and the tool are at room temperature or chill the chocolate beforehand. While a knife can be used, it may be more difficult to achieve thin, even shavings. It is better to shave chocolate before melting it for quicker and more even melting and a smoother texture in the final product.
heat123
Silver Member
Shave chocolate? I don't exactly want to grate it so do you use a veggie peeler to do it or is there a special bakers tool to use?? TIA!

The veggie peeler would work. All you are trying to do is make some curls. Now you have me thinking what else we could use....:cool:

I thought there just might be some special tool for chocolate shavings! ;)

I guess if you go look you will find something, but A curl is a curl....;)

I love to shave it with the microplane

So I looked online and it said to use a veggie peeler or melon baller? Or there was a shaving machine :). Cool, I can't wait to try it on my frosting topping tonight! Thanks Ginge! :)

I bet you could use the scorer on the Lemon Zester/Scorer, but I've never tried!

Anytime.....:D;)
Great ideas with the other ones also....ENJOY!!

Mmmm...chocolate shavings!

I agree...the veggie peeler is probably the easiest tool for the job!

Wish I had some chocolate....

It worked! I used white chocolate to top off my cream cheese frosting for my red velvet cake. The shavings were smaller than I thought they would come out but with a bigger, thicker block of choc it would have been fine, it tasted good! :)

I'm glad it worked!! ;)

Related to Shaving Chocolate: What Tool to Use?

1. What is the best tool to use for shaving chocolate?

The best tool to use for shaving chocolate is a sharp vegetable peeler or a microplane grater. Both of these tools will create thin, delicate shavings of chocolate without breaking or melting it.

2. Can I use a regular cheese grater to shave chocolate?

While you can technically use a regular cheese grater to shave chocolate, it is not recommended. The large holes on a cheese grater can cause the chocolate to break or melt, resulting in uneven shavings. It is better to use a tool specifically designed for shaving chocolate.

3. How do I prevent the chocolate from melting while shaving?

To prevent the chocolate from melting while shaving, make sure both the chocolate and the tool are at room temperature. You can also chill the chocolate in the fridge for a few minutes before shaving to make it firmer and easier to work with.

4. Can I use a knife to shave chocolate?

You can use a knife to shave chocolate, but it may be more difficult to get thin, even shavings. A sharp knife and a steady hand are needed to achieve good results. It is also important to work quickly to prevent the chocolate from melting.

5. Is it better to shave chocolate before or after melting it?

It is better to shave chocolate before melting it. Shaving the chocolate into small, thin pieces allows it to melt more quickly and evenly when added to hot liquids or melted over a double boiler. It also creates a smoother texture in the final product.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• shelly.nurse
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
shelly.nurse
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefPaulaB