• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sending Military Care Packages: Suggestions from Experienced Family Members

In summary, the conversation is about sending care packages to soldiers serving overseas. The speaker is asking for suggestions on what to send to her brother who is going to serve in the military next week. They discuss various items such as baby wipes, snacks, and hygiene products. They also mention the importance of letters and pictures from loved ones. The conversation ends with a list of websites where people can show their support for troops overseas.
jdavis
OK, for those of you that have served or have family that has I would like any suggestions you have for what I should send in these. My little brother is heading over again next week and I was just wanting suggestions from people who have been there done that, he was on the first boat over after 9-11 and we didn't know anything until after he came back so needless to say he didn't get anything from us that time, and he didn't really talk about it so it didn't upset our mother and grandmother.

I know that they always ask for baby wipes, sun block, bug repellent, non-perishable candy and snacks, and some other things, but I just am not sure on what else. A friend of my mother's said that she was told not to send over baked goods because they go bad, only pre-packaged things. I know I will definately be having the boys drawing him some pictures and writing him letters also since they love their superman-like Uncle Chad so much, my youngest hadn't even seen him but a couple times before he was about 1 1/2 but my parents made sure that every time they pointed to one of his pictures he knew who it was. He will be 3 next month and the other day he said something about going to see Uncle Chad and it was just so cute. OK, now I have really veered off topic. But any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance--Jen

No ideas, but aren't we lucky to have our soldiers. My little brother will graduate from the marines corp recruit training the first friday in October. My entire family will drive the 14 hours to be there - shhhh its a surprise.

My 5 year old asked me if uncle pat is fighting for our state :)

anyway, off subject, but.

Oh, you could make him some candy with the melts - they are sort of off the pre-packaged variety .

I'll think on it.

I do care packages for the troops from my husband's unit. You have some great ideas, so far!!

We send nutri-grain bars, cookies (the sandwich ones), crackers (townhouse and saltines), just to name a few. I will need to run upstairs to look at my supplies to give you a better idea. Clubhouse cracker sticks are very popular!!!

Hygiene items--trial size of everything!! chapstick, small bars of soap, mini toothpaste, kleenex, lotion, deodarant, razors, for the women (the obvious things..ahem). Chapstick makes something called a Face Stick that is like a sunblock in a giant chapstick tube.

The letters from the kids are always appreciated. Maybe see if their school classes want to make it a group activity?? Try to remember that there are guys and gals over there that don't get care packages! I send a ton of letters from kids, and tons of goodies for everyone to share. I have heard of families getting those photo albums that you can record a message on, so they can see the pictures and hear your voices!!

Even things like the little word puzzles and word searches like you see at the checkout stand at your grocery store. Occupy time and minds!!!

Try to think about what you would miss most about home if you were gone for that period of time, then adjust for mailing restrictions.

I will keep your brother in my thoughts during his tour! We all should appreciate these heros everyday!!!

Last edited:
Got this off the army FAQhttp://www.army.mil/operations/iraq/faq.html5. I want to send a message of support to our troops – where do I send it? Can I send goodies/books/etc?Answer: DoD officials ask citizens not to flood the military mail system with letters, cards, and gifts. Due to security concerns and transportation constraints, the Defense Department can't accept items mailed to "Any Servicemember”. However, there are numerous other ways in which you can show your support for our troops. The following are websites for several organizations sponsoring programs for members of the Armed Forces overseas. While it would be inappropriate for DoD to endorse any specifically, Service members do value and appreciate such expressions of support: * Donate a calling card to help keep service members in touch with their families at Operation Uplink at http://www.operationuplink.org/
* Send a greeting via e-mail through http://anyservicemember.org/ or http://www.OperationDearAbby.net
* Sign a virtual thank you card at the Defense America web site at http://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
* Make a donation to one of the military relief societies:
o Army Emergency Relief at http://www.aerhq.org/
o Navy/Marine Relief Society at http://www.nmcrs.org/
o Air Force Aid Society at http://www.afas.org/
o Coast Guard Mutual Assistance at http://www.cgmahq.org/
o Donate to "Operation USO Care Package" at http://www.usometrodc.org/care.html
o Support the American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services at http://www.redcross.org/services/afes/
o Volunteer at a VA Hospital http://www.va.gov/vetsday/ to honor veterans who bore the lamp of freedom in past conflicts.
o Support families whose loved ones are being treated at military and VA hospitals through a donation to the Fisher House at http://www.fisherhouse.org.
o Support your troops and lift their spirits by sending them a special "Gifts From the Homefront" certificate at http://www.aafes.com/docs/homefront.htm
* U.S. troops deployed to the Persian Gulf region and other overseas locations can now receive personal messages from family members, friends, neighbors, colleagues and supporters via the pages of "Stars and Stripes" as well. "Messages of Support," a daily section that debuted March 17, gives family and friends of deployed service members a chance to pass their greetings, words of encouragement and announcements free of charge. "Messages of Support" can be e-mailed to "Stars and Stripes" 24 hours a day at [email protected], are limited to 50 words or less and will be printed on a first-come, first-run basis. "Stars and Stripes" reserves the right to screen and edit all messages and to omit any determined inappropriate.
* Reach out to military families in your community, especially those with a loved one deployed. 6. I see above how I can support the troops. Is there anything I should not do?Answer: Yes there are things you should not do. There are many well meaning Web sites, TV stations, and charity groups that are promoting donations to overseas Servicemembers. While well intentioned, you should not use them and you should discourage others from using them. These unsolicited letters of support or care packages to Servicemembers raise a force protection issue, since anonymous donors are different from legitimate family members and friends. DoD has cancelled mail programs which encouraged the American public in general to mail to Any Servicemember (versus a specific deployed person). These new programs attempt to do the same thing by gathering names of Servicemembers to send mail. While legitimate mail from family members and loved ones is always encouraged, these donor programs, which collect and pass out Servicemembers’ names and addresses, is discouraged.7. Is there anything I should know about addressing mail to a Soldier?Answer: To ensure that mail gets through from families and loved ones, the following information is given on addressing. Recommended address:
Soldier’s Name (note 1)
Organization to which assigned (note 2)
Unit # xxxx (note 3)
APO AE 09xxx-xxxx (notes 4 and note 5)NOTES:
1) Use of rank is optional
2) Organization name should be included if you have it; however, it is not always used for
certain types of forces
3) Unit # is a four digit number assigned to some units, but not all. Where assigned, it should always be used. Soldiers will have notified friends and family if they have one assigned.
4) APOs served by New York have a 09 prefix (09xxx); APOs served by San Francisco have a 96 prefix (96xxx), and APOs served by Miami have a 34 prefix (34xxx)
5) The last four xxxx represent a ZIP 4 add-on to the normal five digit APO Zip Code, and have been assigned to some forces. Where assigned, correspondents should have been notified and the four digit add on should always be used to help in automatic sorting of mailIf your question doesn’t fit into any of the above categories, go to http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/resources/faq.html which contains a more extensive listing of Frequently Asked Questions.I would also ask him what he would need and if there is anyone there who doesn't have mail or care packages coming to let you know.

Yes, my little brother is in the marines, he has been since he graduated HS in '99. The day he did whatever that thing is called, I can't remember at this moment too late, just before he graduated from his training he tripped and his ammo box that was filled with sand landed on his hand and crushed a couple of his fingers, they didn't call home so when my parents and grandmother got there for graduation they saw him in a cast and flipped Oh boy, was I glad I had to work, I could only imagine my grandmother, lol. A whole other story was that she joined the Navy because she liked their uniforms, Oh boy, I knew my grandma was goofy, but when I heard that I cracked up. But she wouldn't let anybody tell them for the graduation, he said they do a tribute or something to people who have served. Anyway off subject again.

My boys asked one time I think it was last summer if they could go see Uncle Chad if they could start walking! Boy do they love their Uncle. It is so funny though because he tries to be big bad mean 'You better not break the rules' sometimes, but to them he is like superman.

care packagesHi Jennifer,
One of my younger brothers has been in Baghdad since last Sept. He is scheduled to come home from his tour before thanksgiving, if all goes well. We are starting to count down the time now.
I have connected with a wonderful women in our town here that started an organization to send care packages to our service people. She is always looking for names of service people and addresses that they can send things to. I would love to forward your brothers info to her and have him on their list! Once you get his info if you don't have it yet.
Our town has been so generous in donations!!! The only thing she is still looking for in donations ($$) for helping to cover the costs of these packages. My brother has received sooooo much stuff from the group and he shares it out with all the other troop members over there. They are sooo thrilled to get the stuff and she gets so excited when she can get another name for a contact to send it to..this way, it goes right to someone and not to a big drop station.
karlene reaser

I know as a leader of a scout troop we collected calling cards as a community service project;)

My brother enlisted in the Marines this past spring and is off to Japan for two years this week!

Keep all our service people in your thoughts and prayers, no matter where they are!

I have two brothers in the Marines as well. They love getting letters, they request that we try to sent at least one a week. In the care packages breakfast bars, snacks, babywipes, zip lock bags. If he has a cd player cd's, cross word puzzles, football, frisbee. They have a lot of free time on their hands.

the post office has flat rate box's this usually ends up being cheaper. The box is free (when you pick up the box pick up the slip of paper where you itamize everything in the box) and you pay for it when you ship it out. It ends up being around $5.

There was something my SIL sent to me that was about USPS sending shipping supplies for free, I figured I would pass it along.....

Here is some info to get free shipping supplies from the post office:

Call 1 (800) 610-8734, and select option #1, then #1 again, then #2 again
and
ask for the "Military pack."

Eight boxes, tape, packaging materials, and labels will be mailed to those
who
call. They will also provide an I.D. number to re-order. Please allow four
to 10
days to receive the materials.

If you ship anything to Iraq, it will take about two week for packages. I'm
not sure about letters, it could be faster. If you want to send any
Christmas presents, the last day to ship for guarenteed delivery by the 25th
is November 7th.

The flat rate boxes are $8 something and there are 2 different sizes, but you can pack them as heavy as you can, no weight limit.

My step son has been there since last Thanksgiving (hopefully coming home in Oct). I always send him junk food! pringles, skittles, trail mix, rice krispie treats(preboxed) etc. We can't send chocolate or pork products. I sent beef jerky strips once. Phone calling cards are good too. he has also requested socks/gloves/boxers and lots of letters and pics. They have ability to email sometimes or go thru myspace to communicate so that helps too.

My son in law just left for Iraq about a month ago. Need to start working on a care pkg for him! Thanks for reminding me:)

Related to Sending Military Care Packages: Suggestions from Experienced Family Members

1. What items are typically included in a military care package?

Some common items to include in a military care package are non-perishable snacks, personal hygiene products, entertainment items such as books or games, and handwritten letters or cards.

2. Can I send homemade baked goods in a military care package?

Unfortunately, homemade baked goods are not recommended for military care packages due to the risk of spoilage during shipping. It is best to stick to store-bought, non-perishable items.

3. Are there any restrictions on what can be sent in a military care package?

Yes, there are certain restrictions on what can be sent in a military care package. It is important to check with the specific military branch for any restrictions on items such as alcohol, weapons, or illegal substances.

4. How do I address the care package to ensure it reaches the correct recipient?

It is important to address the care package with the recipient's full name, unit, and APO/FPO/DPO address. It may also be helpful to include the military member's rank and branch of service.

5. How long does it typically take for a military care package to arrive?

The shipping time for a military care package can vary depending on the destination and any potential delays. On average, it can take 1-2 weeks for a package to arrive at a deployed military member's location.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
AJPratt