• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seeking Opinions on Starting a Business... (Not Pampered Chef, Lol)

In summary, people are interested in having someone create a DVD slideshow for them, but there is no set price for it. It is up to the creator to decide what they charge.
PampChefJoy
Gold Member
I have made DVD slideshows for graduations at DD's preschool for the last couple of years, plus I make slideshows for events that we have at work... and everyone keeps telling me that I should start a business and charge for it. So I have been researching what's out there and seeing if there is a market for it.

Would you, as a consumer, be interested in having someone take your photos and music and putting together a completed DVD for you? Think graduations, weddings & anniversary parties, milestone birthdays, vacation memories, etc.

The pricing I have come across is a wide range so I am having trouble trying to figure out how much I would charge.... Since this would be a side-venture and I don't expect it to take the place of my full time job, there are only so many hours in the day left to do these projects. However, if there is a market for it, it would bring in a nice little chunk of play money.

So as I am mulling it over, I thought I would seek some other opinions... both pros and cons.... any thoughts?

Here is an example of one that I made for DS's 2nd grade class picnic: www.sacmommytalk.com/Nick2ndGrVideo.htm

Very cute Joy! I would have LOVED you as a parent in my classroom when I was teaching.

I think you could do very well with that business, especially if you kept the price on the lower end of the spectrum.

Good luck!

My niece is trying to start the same kind of business. She is practicing with her friends photos and videos. Good luck.

I've been doing the same thing. What software are you using? Once I get my desktop back from Best Buy (being repaired), I have an order for 18 preschool DVD's. :)

I use several different programs depending on the raw materials (photos only, vs. photo/video) and the end-effect I'm trying to achieve. Mainly Muvee and CodeJam are the two I use the most.

Preschools are great. I'm working on getting a contract with all the local Nobel's here in the area for next year's grad videos. I've volunteered my talent for the last 2 years but since my daughter has graduated and I'm no longer a parent volunteer, I want to make some money at it next year!

I charged $10 per DVD this year. I'm working with just photos & I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD. Not the most user friendly, but I'm working on it.

If you are interested in starting your own business, I would refer you to the Small Business Development Center in your area. Its a wonderful resource. Also check out www.sba.gov and www.score.org. Great info!

I bought one of my ds kindegarten grad. I paid $20 for it.

My son does this for some of our family holidays. He does a great job, similar to yours. I love them.

I thought about it for our pre-school graduation also. It would be something I would imagine our parents would like to buy. Our Boss' husband puts together a slide show (without music) but doesn't offer copies of them. I think he should, they would sell, the parents love them.

Nice...

I would put a title, captions, music and slow it down the slide a little. We've done some with rolling credits, etc.

You can not only tap into the school thing, but also graduations, wedding showers, funeral/memorials, etc.

How are you Joy ~ seems like ages since I've seen you and you only live around the corner!!! How the PC biz going?

Ginny

My husband is starting a side business like this as well. He is doing Websites though, not DVD's.

Kitchen2u said:
Nice...

I would put a title, captions, music and slow it down the slide a little. We've done some with rolling credits, etc.

You can not only tap into the school thing, but also graduations, wedding showers, funeral/memorials, etc.

How are you Joy ~ seems like ages since I've seen you and you only live around the corner!!! How the PC biz going?

Ginny

Hiya! I'm doing great -- was super busy with end-of-year stuff with the kids and am finally taking it easy in July and actually getting some entertaining done! PC is good -- it's where I want/need it to be right now, which is back-burner. I have extra catties if you or your team wants to buy them off of me....

The slideshow is way basic and sped up.... I only did that for examples' sake. The finished product has titles and the slide speed matches the music better. I am just not sure I want to get into another thing (plus the business fees from the city of EG are killer....).

I have a friend who does this. I'll see if I can't get pricing, etc. from her. I know we have a Small Business Administration in our area that handles strictly women-going-into-business issues, financing, etc. Also, at our local library, you can set up a free one-on-one session with a successful business person. Perhaps your area has similar resources. I guess the biggest questions you have to ask are: (1) Is there a market for my products/services? AND (2) Will the market bear what I have to charge in order to make a product? I know TastyBits is successful, so probably any venture you do will fly.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

My friend says she prices her services at $50 to take their digital photos and edit them to music. Mainly because it takes up memory and a lot of time and that is underselling my services.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Wow!I'm so glad I logged on and read this post. Over the weekend I was working on making a slideshow video to a few songs from my 2 year old son to my DH. I started to use a program (I think called VSO), but it kept skipping and did not work out in the end. What do you suggest would be the best to do this? My son's preschool sent one home with him the other day and it was so cute! He loves watching it and telling me who everyone is. :D

What are the first steps to take when starting a business?

The first step is to research and develop a solid business plan. This includes identifying your target market, creating a budget, and outlining your business goals. It is also important to obtain any necessary licenses or permits and to establish a legal structure for your business.

How do I determine the right pricing for my products or services?

Pricing should be based on a combination of factors, including the cost of materials, labor, and overhead, as well as the current market prices and your desired profit margin. It is important to also consider your target market and their willingness to pay for your products or services.

What are some effective marketing strategies for a new business?

Some effective marketing strategies for a new business include creating a strong online presence through social media and a professional website, networking with other businesses and potential customers, and offering promotions or discounts to attract new customers. It is also important to have a clear and consistent brand message to differentiate your business from competitors.

How can I ensure the financial stability of my business?

To ensure financial stability, it is important to regularly track and monitor your business's finances. This includes keeping accurate records, creating a budget, and regularly reviewing your financial statements. It is also helpful to have a contingency plan in case of unexpected expenses or a decline in revenue.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when starting a business?

Some common mistakes to avoid when starting a business include not conducting enough market research, underestimating costs and expenses, not having a solid business plan, and not seeking professional advice or guidance. It is also important to not neglect the legal and financial aspects of your business and to continuously adapt and make changes as needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedalf
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedalf
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Rosebud
  • General Chat
Replies