• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Scraping the Stuff Out of Cans - Is a Micro Scraper The Answer?

I don't know if it will last. I have noticed when this happens they are usually using a "non pc" can opener. Traditional can openers leave sharp edges that will cut and split the scrapers. I use my scrapers in cans all the time and have never had a problem.
elizabethfox
Gold Member
I have a hostess who was showing me one of her small mix 'n' scrapers. She puts it in cans to scrape the stuff out, and it has some MAJOR pitting all around the edges.:eek: She was very disappointed and was wondering if PC had a scraper that you could use in cans, that would not pit around the edges.

I was thinking the new micro scraper would work, but I have not seen it up close and personal. Does anyony think this will work well for that or no? The hostess told me if they ever do come out with a scraper meant for use in cans, to let her know and she will buy it.:) She really was disappointed that her scraper got messed up. I personally wouldn't use mine in cans, but hey...to each his own.:D

I have noticed when this happens they are usually using a "non pc" can opener. Traditional can openers leave sharp edges that will cut and split the scrapers. I use my scrapers in cans all the time and have never had a problem. Donna

This is one of the ways I promote our smooth-edge can opener!

I tell my guests that "our scrapers are tough. They can handle heat up to 650. The one thing that they don't like are the blades of your blender or the sharp edges of a can. Luckily, our can opener can help you protect you and your scraper."

I'd guess that you'll have this same problem with the scrapers being introduced in March.

Last edited:
She has the smooth edge can opener ....that was the first thing I asked her. She said after a few uses the scaper just started pitting. I actually have a scraper that I NEVER used in a can, and it had a spot where it pitted on me. IDK what to tell her...

I use mine in cans all the time that have been opened with our can opener. I haven't had any problems from that. I have one that has a couple of pits in it from my husband putting it in the sink with my knives (color coated tomato knife is the culprit, I think).

They are silicone. Sharp things will cut them and pit them, period. It's just the way it is unfortunately. Ours will probably hold up better than the cheap ones though.

I stopped using mine in pull top cans, because it will do that. It has never done that to me in cans I open with the smooth edge can opener.

It could also get nicks from the dishwasher. Put the scrapers in with the scraper side up, knives and forks down. If they are all put in the dishwasher "up" the knives and forks will bang against the scraper during the washing cyle and nick them.

I have that problem with the cans that now have the easy-open pop-tops (soup mainly). I use my skinny scraper to clean out the can and I've got several cuts in the sides of it. Took me forever to figure out that was what was ruining my scraper too!

pamperedlinda said:
I have that problem with the cans that now have the easy-open pop-tops (soup mainly). I use my skinny scraper to clean out the can and I've got several cuts in the sides of it. Took me forever to figure out that was what was ruining my scraper too!
I was just going to mention this. Those cans are killing my scrapers too! If you are going to use them in those type of cans, you MUST pay attention so you don't hit the top lip (sharp) of the can. I would rather leave a bit of soup in there than ruin my scrapers. I would think that the pink HWC scraper from this past year would hold up better against those cans (since it was a sturdier type scraper) but even that will probably get nicked up from the sharp edges.

the other thing is make sure she's not storing it with knives! or as someone said the dishwasher. All a knife has to do it touch the dang sraper and it's ruined. Love our scrapers, love our cutlery, hate them together!!! I definetly tell people about his when I sell them too!
They do have a warranty though you can get them replaced for her but mention to her that she's extra careful next time!;) :) :balloon:

I just open my Pop top cans with my PC can opener. It solves the problem!

Thanks....it is probably those pop top cans that ruined hers since she has the scraper.
But mine... IDK what happened. I hand wash it, don't store it with knives, and have never used it in cans...so I am lost as to why it has a nick in it.

OH WELL :)

My cranberry one has a nick in the end of it and I have no idea how it happened either.

Hopefully you find the source (I agree probably the cans). Let this person know that, but if it is still under warranty, let her know she can call PC and ship it back for a replacement.

etteluap70PC said:
I just open my Pop top cans with my PC can opener. It solves the problem!

Me too!! I can't stand those pop top cans. Difficult to open and the food goes everywhere. I'm so glad our can opener works on these, be sure to tell your customers!

Related to Scraping the Stuff Out of Cans - Is a Micro Scraper The Answer?

What is a micro scraper and how does it work?

A micro scraper is a small tool designed specifically for scraping the insides of cans. It has a flat, thin edge that easily reaches into the corners of the can and removes any leftover food or residue. Simply hold the can in one hand and use the micro scraper to scrape out the contents with the other hand.

Can a regular kitchen utensil be used instead of a micro scraper?

Yes, a regular kitchen utensil such as a spoon or spatula can be used to scrape out cans. However, they may not be as effective in reaching into the tight corners of the can and may leave behind some food or residue. A micro scraper is specifically designed for this task and will ensure a thorough clean.

Is a micro scraper safe to use on all types of cans?

Yes, a micro scraper is safe to use on all types of cans, including aluminum and tin. It is also safe to use on cans with a non-stick coating. However, be sure to use gentle pressure when scraping to avoid damaging the can's surface.

Can a micro scraper be used on other kitchen tasks?

While a micro scraper is primarily designed for scraping the insides of cans, it can also be used for other kitchen tasks such as scraping out jars, removing excess food from dishes, and even mixing ingredients. However, it is recommended to have a separate micro scraper for cans to avoid cross-contamination.

How do I clean and maintain my micro scraper?

To clean your micro scraper, simply wash it with warm soapy water and dry it thoroughly. It is also dishwasher safe. To maintain its sharp edge, avoid using it on hard surfaces such as metal or ceramic. Store it in a dry place to prevent rusting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
stacywhitlow
  • ChefClairissa
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • ChefetteDuJour