• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Round Platter or Cake Pedestal?

The pedestal might be more useful for non-cake items, but the platter is just a better overall choice IMO.
pattybrady
I want to buy either the round platter or the cake pedestal to serve skillet cakes on at my shows. It looks like, since the cake pedestal base is detachable, that would be the better choice, because without the base it is essentially a platter, right? So you basically get a dual-purpose item? Or am I missing something here? For those who have seen both, any reason I would want to get the round platter instead? Does the round platter have a bit of a rim that the cake pedestal doesn't? That's the only thing I can think of...which might make it more useful for non-cake use.

Your thoughts on pros and cons of each appreciated--thanks!

The round platter is larger and has a little bit of a raised rim/edge. That's the main difference. I haven't made a skillet cake yet to see size-wise which platter looks better. But I'm guessing that the cake pedestal is just fine. Maybe others can chime in here... :)

The plate on the pedestal is flatter, making it easier to flip out cakes.But I just used my round platter for a skillet cake yesterday.So I'd say go with the one you want more.

Thanks! I should add, I'm also interested in which would be more useful generally for my own kitchen...so it's not just about the cakes, but whether the pedestal is really platter + base or if it's more of a flat surface that really doesn't work as well as a platter for other foods in general...if that makes sense!

The round platter is definitely a more practical choice. It's not totally flat and has a slight upturned edge. I use mine for flipping out breakfast frittatas, serving meat and/or grilled vegetables and lots more than just cakes.​

I don't remember but I think the "platter" for the cake pedestal has the screw on it some you cannot use it as a platter.

wadesgirl said:
I don't remember but I think the "platter" for the cake pedestal has the screw on it some you cannot use it as a platter.

No, the screw is on the base. The recessed area is on the bottom of the platter, so it's okay to use just the top as a platter.

I love the cake pedestal as it offers height for your delicious dishes in a buffet line!

babywings76 said:
No, the screw is on the base. The recessed area is on the bottom of the platter, so it's okay to use just the top as a platter.

Cool, guess I figured that it wouldn't be a very long screw if it went into the platter. I've never seen one in person.

I took a couple close up shots of the screw area so you could see it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 335
babywings76 said:
I took a couple close up shots of the screw area so you could see it. :)

Sweet thanks! Guess you would clasify it more as a bolt than a screw!

Thanks Amanda! Pics are very helpful. Hard to tell much from the tiny catalog picture.

Thanks to all! Clearly, it sounds like I need both--LOL! The platter for the rim/versatility and the pedestal for the height for nice presentation on a buffet table. Guess either would work for my immediate needs so I'll just pick one (flip a coin?) and then plan to get the other, later.

I'd go with the platter.

1. What is the difference between a round platter and a cake pedestal?

A round platter is a flat dish with a raised edge, while a cake pedestal is a stand with a flat top and a raised base. The round platter is intended for serving a variety of foods, while the cake pedestal is specifically designed for displaying and serving cakes.

2. Can I use a round platter as a cake pedestal?

Yes, you can use a round platter as a cake pedestal. However, it may not be as sturdy or secure as a pedestal specifically designed for cakes. It is important to make sure the platter is properly balanced and stable before using it to display a cake.

3. Are round platters and cake pedestals dishwasher safe?

Yes, most round platters and cake pedestals from Pampered Chef are dishwasher safe. However, it is always best to check the product label or instructions before placing it in the dishwasher.

4. Can I use a round platter or cake pedestal in the microwave?

No, round platters and cake pedestals from Pampered Chef are not safe for use in the microwave. They are made of materials that may crack or break when exposed to high heat, which can also damage your microwave.

5. How do I clean and maintain my round platter or cake pedestal?

To clean your round platter or cake pedestal, simply wash it with warm, soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. For stubborn stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water to gently scrub the surface. To maintain its appearance, avoid using harsh cleaning products or abrasive tools, and always make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vogee13
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • Malinda Klein
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Dina Atnip
  • wadesgirl