• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rotary Grater Vs the Old One (Sorry, Don't Know the Name!)

In summary, the Rotary Grater is better than the Deluxe Cheese Grater because cheese does not get stuck in the barrel, and the only downside is that there is not a large grater barrel.
cookingwithdot
Gold Member
So, I have the old hand turn grater & I hate it. It's probably the only PC tool I don't like! :( The cheese gets stuck & clumpy and it's really annoying. I'm considering getting the new rotary grater, but I'm wondering if it's better? Does the cheese stick get all clumpy & stuck in it? I don't want to buy it, if it's the same ...
Thanks!

Totally love the Rotary Grater versus the Deluxe Cheese Grater. Cheese does not get stuck in the barrel, because it is bigger. The only downside I think, is that there is not a large grater barrel. Who know's maybe that will be an option soon. I know I keep asking for it.

I agree - I HATED the old one, too. N-E-V-E-R used it.

Then I got the new Rotary grater - and it is so much better. It is not perfect (I agree with Laurie, it would be nice with a drum with a "larger" grate style) as the cheese grates into long very skinny strings.

With the old grater, I would buy pre-grated cheese before using the deluxe grater. Now, I actually use the new rotary grater before dirting the mandoline.

I have only grated soft cheeses (mozz, cheddar, swiss) in the new rotary grater. I don't know how it does Parm since I couldn't imagine using anything but the Microplane for Parm.

I have grated nuts and carrots with the new rotary grater and it works just fine for those.

Not sure if that helps you.

Oh, and one other note, I had a guest buy this and she mentioned it is difficult for her since she has very small hands and the grater is quite large.

Thanks! I do use the old one because I don't like using our box grater, but it still annoys me and I don't think to freeze my cheese to use it! And I don't like using the mandoline to grate cheese either - it gets stuck on the plastic. If my husband is home, he will just grate it for me using the box grater ... Not sure what I should do with it. I don't want to pass it on to someone else because they will hate it but I feel awful giving any PC stuff to Goodwill! I think I will try the rotary grater - I LOVE the microplane grater for parm!!

Remember that the new grater cuts both ways...so go forward a turn, back a turn, and you don't end up with the long string. Love it! Helps my hand to not become so tired because I'm using different muscles for each direction.

SO MUCH BETTER than the deluxe cheese grater.

I wosh they would have incorporated the old design (the handle screws in) with the wide barrel (instead of the pop in handle). I don't know how many times at a show (yesterday) I've had the handle pop off the grater while a guest is demo'ing it. I do like the bigger design, my cheese never gets stuck now.

My Rotary Grater is in my kit- so I don't use it very often. I do like it and it works fine. I don't like the long strings of cheese though- they clump together. I actually grate my soft cheeses with my box grater or I do use the UM- but without the food-slide. I grate the cheese on the UM like I would a box grater. Obviously, that's the ONLY blade I don't use the food-slide with, but I find it works much better for the cheese than w/the slide.

esavvymom said:
My Rotary Grater is in my kit- so I don't use it very often. I do like it and it works fine. I don't like the long strings of cheese though- they clump together.

I actually grate my soft cheeses with my box grater or I do use the UM- but without the food-slide. I grate the cheese on the UM like I would a box grater. Obviously, that's the ONLY blade I don't use the food-slide with, but I find it works much better for the cheese than w/the slide.

That's me, too! I actually usually just buy preshredded cheese. In my stores it seems to be the same price or cheaper, so I don't bother buying the blocks. If I do happen to have a block of cheese, then I use my box grater (wish we had a PC one!) or the UM like you said--without the food holder. For parmesan I use the microplaner. My mom has the Deluxe Cheese grater and she loves using it for Parmesan. I found it easier to use than the Rotary grater, because the Rotary one is quite large. I always seem to have left over chunks of cheese that I can't get to grate. It always seems that I'm not pushing the closure hard enough to push on the cheese well. I tried carrots, but they ended up too fine for my taste.

For shows, most hosts end up buying preshredded cheese, so it's not a concern. But I bring the rotary grater along just in case they happen to buy a block.

Malinda Klein said:
I wosh they would have incorporated the old design (the handle screws in) with the wide barrel (instead of the pop in handle). I don't know how many times at a show (yesterday) I've had the handle pop off the grater while a guest is demo'ing it. I do like the bigger design, my cheese never gets stuck now.

Mine does the same thing! Hate using it. I need to do an adjustment for it, but I have been too lazy to do that. Probably because I am not thrilled with it entirely.

I have small hands and find it hard to get a good grip on it to apply enough pressure to grate the cheese.

I like the newer one much better than the old one. I use it some but not as much as the UM. I also have a problem with not being able to hold it tight enough. DD uses it with no problem. I just have smaller hands than she does.

esavvymom said:
My Rotary Grater is in my kit- so I don't use it very often. I do like it and it works fine. I don't like the long strings of cheese though- they clump together.

I actually grate my soft cheeses with my box grater or I do use the UM- but without the food-slide. I grate the cheese on the UM like I would a box grater. Obviously, that's the ONLY blade I don't use the food-slide with, but I find it works much better for the cheese than w/the slide.

Ditto that!!

I'm just the opposite of everyone posting in this thread. I very much dislike the new Rotary Grater even though the cheese doesn't get stuck and I finally remembered that I could go back and forth to keep the cheese from being long and stringy. It takes TOO LONG to grate cheese. I am too impatient for that. I use it a lot because we grate cheese a lot, so my old cheese grater is dirty a lot. I sold my old grater when the new one came out. I missed it so much, and my director gave me hers because she has three of them. I cut the 8 oz block of cheese into four sections and put one chunk in the microwave for 8 seconds on one of the appetizer plates. If I don't see the oil on the top I turn it over and microwave it for another 5 seconds. Usually 8 seconds is perfect. It's unbelievable how quickly the cheese grates compared to the Rotary Grater, and it doesn't get stuck in the barrel. It works with Moz., Mont Jack and cheddar. Just be careful how long you put the softer cheeses in the microwave because they don't take as long to soften. I've even done five seconds and then turn it over for another 5 to be safe. You'll learn what works with your microwave. My microwave cooks quickly.

nikked said:
Remember that the new grater cuts both ways...so go forward a turn, back a turn, and you don't end up with the long string. Love it! Helps my hand to not become so tired because I'm using different muscles for each direction.

SO MUCH BETTER than the deluxe cheese grater.

Wow - thanks for the "Aha!" moment!! I never thought of that!! (DUH!!) ;)

Hmmm ... I've been using my new rotary grater & I do prefer it over the old style. I have found that if I hold it "up" so the cheese grates into the barrel, it works better. I just periodically turn it over to dump it out. Love that it doesn't get all clumpy & stuck! If you try to grate straight over something, the cheese seems to get too long and stringy ... so, if I go back & forth, it won't??

Jae I agree I love the old grater and hate the new one. My hands are small and I can't grip it very well. I too use the microwave trick and I can grate a whole block of cheese in about 5 minutes

JAE said:
I'm just the opposite of everyone posting in this thread. I very much dislike the new Rotary Grater even though the cheese doesn't get stuck and I finally remembered that I could go back and forth to keep the cheese from being long and stringy. It takes TOO LONG to grate cheese. I am too impatient for that. I use it a lot because we grate cheese a lot, so my old cheese grater is dirty a lot.

I sold my old grater when the new one came out. I missed it so much, and my director gave me hers because she has three of them. I cut the 8 oz block of cheese into four sections and put one chunk in the microwave for 8 seconds on one of the appetizer plates. If I don't see the oil on the top I turn it over and microwave it for another 5 seconds. Usually 8 seconds is perfect.

It's unbelievable how quickly the cheese grates compared to the Rotary Grater, and it doesn't get stuck in the barrel. It works with Moz., Mont Jack and cheddar. Just be careful how long you put the softer cheeses in the microwave because they don't take as long to soften. I've even done five seconds and then turn it over for another 5 to be safe. You'll learn what works with your microwave. My microwave cooks quickly.

dollfangs said:
Jae I agree I love the old grater and hate the new one. My hands are small and I can't grip it very well. I too use the microwave trick and I can grate a whole block of cheese in about 5 minutes

I learned that microwave trick on this website. I was surprised that nobody posted in here. Thanks for backing me up. ;)

I had no idea about that microwave trick. I always heard people saying to put the softer cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar, etc) in the freezer first! lol Learn something new every day here! :D

I'm glad somebody mentioned the microwave trick, I like to share that at all my shows for anyone who owns the old version, I use the new one when they don't buy already pre-shredded cheese. I did not know about going back and forth on the new one, I'll have to try it but I think it would take too long like someone else commented. After I got the Rotary, I probably had it a month when the barrel cracked when I was using it, the new one I got is better but I guess I like the old one better still and tend to use that one more at home.

Related to Rotary Grater Vs the Old One (Sorry, Don't Know the Name!)

What is the difference between the Rotary Grater and the Old One?

The Rotary Grater is a newer version of the traditional hand-held grater. It features a rotating drum with sharp blades that make grating food easier and faster. The old one typically has a flat surface with sharp holes for grating.

Can the Rotary Grater be used for grating cheese?

Yes, the Rotary Grater is perfect for grating cheese, as well as other foods like vegetables, chocolate, and nuts. Its sharp blades make grating cheese effortless and the grated cheese comes out in perfect shreds.

Is the Rotary Grater dishwasher safe?

Yes, the Rotary Grater is dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand-washing for better maintenance and durability. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing to prevent rusting.

Does the Rotary Grater come with different blade sizes?

Yes, the Rotary Grater usually comes with interchangeable blades of different sizes. This gives you the option to grate food in different sizes and textures, depending on your recipe or preference.

Is the Rotary Grater easy to use?

Yes, the Rotary Grater is designed to be user-friendly. Its rotating drum and ergonomic handle make grating food effortless and comfortable. It is also easy to clean and store, making it a convenient tool in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jbakerpc
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Pampered Zoe
  • Products and Tips
Replies