• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rolling Out Tootsie Rolls - A How-To Guide

In summary, to soften Tootsie Rolls for rolling out, you can heat them in short intervals in the microwave or cover them with a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. You will need a rolling pin, a flat surface, and powdered sugar or cornstarch for dusting when rolling them out. Aim for a thickness of 1/8 inch and gradually add food coloring while kneading to create different colors. To prevent them from sticking, dust your rolling surface and hands with powdered sugar.
chefmoseley
Gold Member
Okay saw this mentioned in another post and would love to know how to do it. Do you just roll out the tootsie roll and then roll it back up?

Here - I found these instructions in this article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24287-2004Jun8.html

thanks so much :)

Shucks... no pictures.... I'm a visual person... :)

taffyflowerparts.jpg

You can do the same thing with Starburst candies too. They would have more colors choices too. You could use the Starburst and flatten them and use the Creative Cutters to make shapes.

Just a little tip on these, the older and dryer the candy the better it usually is at holding its shape, especially in humid environments. Gourmet baking ingredient stores have buckets of stuff called "modeling chocolate" that is similar in texture to the older tootsie rolls. It is used to make ornate decorations for cakes and pastries, much like a chocolate clay. Also, if you go a little thin on the petals outside edge, the effect is more natural, especially if you curl it slightly. In this same manner, you can make leaves, rolled out curly stems, fruit. Marzipan is also a good option if you want to get into more advanced modeling of flowers. Try doing your flowers with a real rose around so you can see how the petals should line up. It is usually one center bud, three petals on the first layer, and five, and so on.

Last edited:

1. How do I soften Tootsie Rolls for rolling out?

To soften Tootsie Rolls for rolling out, place them in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 10-second intervals until soft. Alternatively, you can also place them in a bowl covered with a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Just be careful not to overheat them, as they can become too sticky.

2. What tools do I need to roll out Tootsie Rolls?

You will need a rolling pin, a flat surface such as a cutting board or silicone mat, and powdered sugar or cornstarch for dusting.

3. How thin should I roll out my Tootsie Rolls?

You should aim to roll out your Tootsie Rolls to about 1/8 inch thickness. This will allow them to hold their shape without being too thick or difficult to work with.

4. Can I add food coloring to my Tootsie Rolls while rolling them out?

Yes, you can add food coloring to your Tootsie Rolls while rolling them out to create different colors. Just be sure to add the food coloring gradually and knead it into the Tootsie Rolls until evenly distributed.

5. How do I prevent my Tootsie Rolls from sticking to the surface while rolling them out?

To prevent your Tootsie Rolls from sticking to the surface while rolling them out, lightly dust your rolling surface with powdered sugar or cornstarch. You can also dust your hands with powdered sugar to prevent them from sticking to the Tootsie Rolls.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Dotty
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Humble Beginnings
  • kcjodih