• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cutting Rolled Crescent Roll Dough: Tips & Tricks

In summary, these cheese bacon bites are a quick and easy appetizer that can be made with a variety of tools. The best way to make them is to cut them into 16 slices and then bake them for 15 minutes.
kcjodih
Gold Member
For those of you who've made these before, how do you cut them? With the pizza cutter, santoku knife, other? I've never cut up rolled crescent roll dough before.

Oops, here's the recipe for those that don't have it. Compliments of Katie :)

Cheesy Bacon Bites

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Real Bacon Pieces (found in the Salad Dressing Section of most grocery stores)
2 tablespoons chopped onions
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 package (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine cream cheese, bacon, onion and pepper in a Batter Bowl.
2. Separate crescent rolls into two long rectangles. Pinch seams together. Spread cheese mixture on each rectangle.
3. Roll up, starting at longest side, and seal by pressing crescent roll dough together. Cut each roll into 16 slices. Place slices cut side down, on flat Baking Stone.

4. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yields: 32 appetizers

I haven't made them before so not sure of the height when rolled but I would think the Santoku would work best as the dough will not tend to stick to it when cutting. Just my thinking LOL

I have used all kinds of things...try using something different the first couple of times you make them and you'll find something that floats your boat. I've used the 5" Santoku, the green color-coated Santoku, the forged utility knife...you name it! Actually, everything has its advantages. I even used an all-purpose spreader once and it worked fine, too. I will say that the best thing I've found is to cut each roll in half and then keep cutting the pieces in half until you get to the 16 slices the recipe dictates...if you start on one end and work your way down you don't get even sized pieces. And if you press whatever tool you use straight down and THEN pull it away in a slicing motion, that does seem to help. :)

How sad is it that with all the great new recipes, this is one of my favorite things to prep at a show? I generally help the host put them together about 15 minutes before guests are arriving, so they are coming out of the oven and can be a snack item while we do the main demo. It's cheap and easy, and you can show off quite a few products...small batter bowl, small mix n scraper, large cutting board, small spreader, knife (of your choice!), stoneware and mini serving spatula!

I have tried different tools and really like the pizza cutter because it sort of seals as you cut. It ends up looking like a frozen pizza roll and the filling stays in when you bake them. I really like this recipe and often use it as a second recipe for a quick appetizer.

by the way I love these things, and I have chilled them after rolled them in a jelly roll then I have sliced them cold with the santoku knife, which I like better than the pizza cutter!

I just use a steak knife. I've made these for years!If you want to demo tools, use it as an excuse to use the crinkle cutter.

Thanks all. I ended up using both the Santoku and the crinkle cutter. We used herb and garlic cream cheese to add flavor and they were delicious. While they were cooking we made the lemon gingertinis. What a great combo!

1. How do I prevent the dough from sticking to the surface while cutting?

To prevent the dough from sticking, lightly flour the surface or use a silicone baking mat. You can also chill the dough in the fridge for a few minutes before cutting to make it easier to handle.

2. What is the best tool to use for cutting the dough?

A sharp knife or a pizza cutter are both great options for cutting rolled crescent roll dough. Just be sure to clean the blade after each cut to prevent the dough from sticking.

3. Can I cut the dough into shapes for a more decorative look?

Yes, you can use cookie cutters or a knife to cut the dough into different shapes. Just make sure the shapes are not too intricate or the dough may not bake evenly.

4. How thick should I roll out the dough before cutting?

The exact thickness will depend on the recipe you are following, but a general rule of thumb is to roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thickness. You can also refer to the specific instructions on the package of the crescent roll dough.

5. Can I re-roll the scraps of dough after cutting?

Yes, you can re-roll the scraps of dough, but keep in mind that the more you handle the dough, the tougher it may become. It's best to only re-roll once or twice, and then discard any remaining scraps.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefmickey1
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • chef131doreen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg