• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Roast Chicken: Tips & Tricks for Perfection!

In summary, the recipe calls for a can of each soup, a whisk, and pour over roast bake at 350 degrees in a DCB.
Monty060609
suggestions? length of time in the oven? with or without potatoes & carrots? water no water?

I just cooked one Wednesday in my DCB and it didn't turn out that well. It could have been the cut of the meat (Chuck Roast), but it was VERY tough. The vegetables were DELICIOUS....I used the Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix (2 tbsp) & Crushed Peppercorn & Garlic Rub (1 tbsp) with red wine vinegar (1/4 c), olive oil (2 tbsp) and water (1/4 c). Mixed it all in the classic batter bowl and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I put the same seasoning on the meat and let it sit for 30 minutes in a plastic bag.

tys1031 said:
I just cooked one Wednesday in my DCB and it didn't turn out that well. It could have been the cut of the meat (Chuck Roast), but it was VERY tough. The vegetables were DELICIOUS....I used the Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix (2 tbsp) & Crushed Peppercorn & Garlic Rub (1 tbsp) with red wine vinegar (1/4 c), olive oil (2 tbsp) and water (1/4 c). Mixed it all in the classic batter bowl and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I put the same seasoning on the meat and let it sit for 30 minutes in a plastic bag.

How long did you cook it? I've never cooked a pot roast in the DCB, but I cook them all the time in my cast iron dutch oven, use a chuck roast, and it comes out so fork tender. I don't even marinated beforehand. I just brown, throw it in with some wine, broth, and veggies, and cook for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

leftymac said:
How long did you cook it? I've never cooked a pot roast in the DCB, but I cook them all the time in my cast iron dutch oven, use a chuck roast, and it comes out so fork tender. I don't even marinated beforehand. I just brown, throw it in with some wine, broth, and veggies, and cook for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

On what temp?

Usually 350-375. The trick to good flavor is browning the meat first on both sides to develop a flavorful crust, then all those brown bits on the bottom get soaked into the broth. You can't do that in the DCB though.

I cooked a 3 lb. pot roast in the DCB and the meat turned out great. Only did it once and I cooked it too long. I took three cans of condensed golden mushroom soup, mixed in two packets of dry onion soup mix, stirred and mixed it all well. Put 3 lb. pot roast on top, ladled the soup mix all over the top and sides. Did not brown the roast first or anything. Cooked for an hour in the microwave, turning periodically since my microwave is too small for the DCB to rotate on the table. The fatty edges of the meat were cooked too much but the rest was wonderful. Trying again tonight, going to microwave 20 minutes first, check it, maybe 20 minutes more in the microwave, let sit for a bit. Will let you know how it turns out. I haven't been able to find another microwave recipe for a pot roast in the DCB.

"How long did you cook it?" "cast iron dutch oven"

i my very tough

I have never used the DCB for a roast but it should work well. I use my 9x13 baker with the lid/bowl...the old one. I put it in the oven with the veggies and water mixed with a brown gravy packet and rosemary seasoning...don't completely cover the roast because you don't want it to boil, probably a cup and a half. I normally put it in the oven at 5:30 and when I get out of church it is done. I'm sorry I can't be more specific...I never use a recipe, I just "eyeball" it...lol.

this is from a PC friend in New Orleans
it is delicious and the only way i make roast now1 can french onion soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
whisk pour over roast bake 350 1 1/2 hours in dcb
when it comes out rewhisk the juices and its instant gravy

I used this recipe from Allrecipes.com a couple weeks ago, and it was the BEST Roast I've ever made. I used the DCB, and followed the recipe exactly, other than using the Garlic and Peppercorn Rub on it. Oh - and I was using a Bottom Round Roast, not Eye of Round. DH said it was like eating Prime Rib! (but at a fraction of the price!)

High Temperature Eye-of-Round Roast - All Recipes

Becky, I looked at AllRecipes version and I need more details about how you did this in the DCB. Other than replacing the roasting pan with the DCB and using bottom round instead of eye of round was that about it?
I HATE to cook with canned soups but that is just my childhood coming back to haunt me. LOL!​

LeslieSGI said:
Becky, I looked at AllRecipes version and I need more details about how you did this in the DCB. Other than replacing the roasting pan with the DCB and using bottom round instead of eye of round was that about it?
I HATE to cook with canned soups but that is just my childhood coming back to haunt me. LOL!​

Leslie - yes, that's all I did differently! I rarely use canned cream soups, so this was a great recipe for me too! My Roast was a bit bigger, so I let it go for 7 minutes longer, but that's it. The roast was a perfect med. rare with the outside edges being more medium - so if you like your roast more medium, then you might want to go another 7 minutes for that too.

This was the best roast I've ever made! I've always done it in a crockpot, and cooked it til it was falling apart - and I love that I was able to make a tender, sliceable roast! It was great on sandwiches the next day, and later in the week I used the leftovers to make beef fajitas.

leftymac said:

I cooked it for 35 minutes in the microwave. I didn't do it in the oven. Maybe next time I wil try it in the oven. I just don't like my pot roast to be really tough and it turned out to be very hard to chew. But again, it could have been the cut of meat I had also.

tys1031 said:
I cooked it for 35 minutes in the microwave. I didn't do it in the oven. Maybe next time I wil try it in the oven. I just don't like my pot roast to be really tough and it turned out to be very hard to chew. But again, it could have been the cut of meat I had also.

Roast Beef is the one type of meat that is most definitely better in the oven than the microwave.

I LOVE doing roasts in my DCB. I usually put a beef one and a pork one in together, with no vegetables. I pour some water over it and sprinkle a packet of onion soup mix over the top. I cover it and bake it at 350 for 2-3 hours, depending on whether the roasts are frozen or thawed. They turn out awesome! My favorite meal!

1. How do I ensure that my roast chicken is juicy and not dry?

To ensure a juicy roast chicken, it is important to brine the chicken before cooking. This involves soaking the chicken in a saltwater solution for a few hours before roasting. This helps to lock in moisture and prevent the chicken from drying out.

2. Can I use different herbs and seasonings for my roast chicken?

Absolutely! Experiment with different herbs and seasonings to find your perfect flavor combination. Some popular options include rosemary, thyme, garlic, and lemon. You can also try using different spice blends or marinades for added flavor.

3. How long should I cook my roast chicken for?

The cooking time for roast chicken depends on the weight of the chicken. A general rule of thumb is to cook for 20 minutes per pound of chicken at 375°F. However, it is always best to use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F before serving.

4. How do I make sure my roast chicken has crispy skin?

To achieve crispy skin, it is important to pat the chicken dry before seasoning and roasting. This helps to remove excess moisture from the skin. You can also rub the skin with butter or oil before cooking to help it crisp up.

5. Can I stuff my chicken with stuffing?

Yes, you can stuff your chicken with your favorite stuffing mix. However, it is important to ensure that the stuffing reaches an internal temperature of 165°F before serving to prevent foodborne illness. You can also try stuffing your chicken with fruits or vegetables for a healthier alternative.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • cactus_flower
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • brandikpc