• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Repent! Repent! the White Death Is Coming!

In summary, the conversation started with a mention of a Winter storm watch in effect for South Central and Southeast Wisconsin, with potential for heavy snowfall and strong winds. It was noted that this was a common occurrence in other Midwestern states. The conversation then shifted to the speaker's skepticism towards weather forecasts and the tendency for school systems to cancel school unnecessarily. The conversation ended with a humorous exchange about condiments and a mention of hail in Iowa.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah...right. The sky is falling...the sky is falling.

[soap box alert]

A Winter storm watch remains in effect from Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon. Heavy snowfall with accumulations of 8 to 12 inches is possible across South Central and Southeast Wisconsin...
[along with most other midwestern states but my report is localized]
...Saturday evening through Sunday.

In addition, strong easterly winds may result in significant blowing and drifting snow in and near blizzard conditions.

A Winter Storm Watch is issued when heavy show...sleet...or freezing rain is expected to accumulate to levels that will cause major impacts to commerce and society. Cointiue to monitor the latest forecasts for updates and possible warnings.

All interests should start thinking about making alternate arrangements if you are currently planning travel Saturday night and Sunday.

It is my understanding that those of you who live in the Dakotas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio are getting this same schtick.

I probably shouldn't make light of it, because it's liable to snow heavy somewhere, maybe even here. The last three times the television meteorologists predicted these dire circumstances, we've had little more than flurries. These are the same guys that shift into wall-to-wall "Ohmygoshwe'reallgonnadie!" mode when there MIGHT be a tornado someplace.

In the past, at least around here, the wusses who run our school systems have cancelled school based on these dire predictions - only to look foolish when the snow never materialized. Since the White Death isn't supposed to happen until Saturday, I'm surprised they didn't cancel school today and Monday in anticipation.

What this is mostly going to do is clear the grocery store shelves of bread and milk. As my neighbor, with her penchant for Yogi Berraisms used to say, "You better go stock up before the hoarders get it all."

You have my permission to give me lots of grief IF the dire prediction turns out to be true by Monday morning but I've heard this same song and dance so many times that it tends to go in one ear and out the other. :rolleyes:

[/soap box alert]

KG, they didn't cancel school today because the kids already have off; otherwise, they probably would have;)

I'm not surprised. When do kids go to school anymore? It seems like any weekday that I go into a mall, the place is crawling with kids.

We are getting those reports here in MI too.....and you're right, the last few times we were supposed to be innundated w/ snow, etc.....not much at all.....but when they have predicted "Scattered, occasional, lake effect snow showers" it has snowed non-stop! I view weather reports the same way I view movie reviews - with much scepticism!

And you're several miles from the Lake. We only get lake effect snow about 12 blocks from the shore, but places like Muskegon and Benton Harbor get nailed, just like Buffalo does. Lake effect is really tough to predict.I remember the deep snows in Jennison when I was a kid, so I know what you're talking about, too.

Funny...I'm over here on the coast of Oregon...and I'm getting those reports....

"Snow watch and advisory for the 1000-1500 Ft level until 4 am Sat morning", we'll be lucky if it sticks...

In central IL was are to 2-4 inches of Rain! Hopefully it wall melt all the lingering snow drifts I have left in my yard.

Another said note the Illinois chief danced his last dance at the basketball game Wednesday. Illinois has bowed down to the NCAA.

Ann

thechefofnorthbend said:
Funny...I'm over here on the coast of Oregon...and I'm getting those reports....

"Snow watch and advisory for the 1000-1500 Ft level until 4 am Sat morning", we'll be lucky if it sticks...
1000-1500 feet is sure a lot more than the 8-12" they're predicting here!

:eek:

I saw the title of this thread and thought it was about mayonnaise. My uncle won't touch the stuff, and "White Death" is his nickname for it. :)

So you opened the thread with relish?

Ann and I are close together in post count. Today, I'm ahead of her but by the end of the day, she'll probably ketchup.

Those of you who practice safe internet will be okay in here since this is turning into a condiment thread.

It must have been for Northern Indiana. Here in Southern Indiana it has been very nice. It's been in the low to high 50's for about a week. Tomorrow we are supposed to get lots of rain and possible Thunderstorms.

I've been purposely not listening to the new too much lately. I am ready for spring. Anyway, I was shocked to see it hailing here in Iowa a little while ago. I hope it's not a sign of the way the rest of the weekend is going to go.

Julie

Northcentral Indiana here--they're predicting freezing rain and an ice storm for Saturday night. I expect every loaf of bread, gallon of milk, and carton of eggs to be gone from grocery shelves by 6 p.m. today.

Personally, I prefer albino brain chiggers to ice. (That's for all you 3rd Rock fans out there.)

OMgosh.... KG, I am LMAO at the title to this thread!

I soooo agree with you.

I am only slightly concerned as I have a show in St. Paul tomorrow. I never drive that far (Just over an hr) for shows anymore but I got roped into it!

I did hit the grocery store today (because I hadn't shopped in 2 weeks. My kids can only go so long without PB) and it was mobbed!!! I was thinking cummon people.... this is MN!!!!

When I lived in NC I always got a chuckle that whenever a big thunderstorm was predicted everyone was like "I need to go buy bread and milk! NOW!!"

not in time for the birkieunfortunatly i don't think it will be in time for the Birkie ski race. with the John Beargrease sled dog races canceled this year already, no snow=bad for winter tourism. Duluth is 30+inches snow deficit from the norm.:eek:

chefann said:
I saw the title of this thread and thought it was about mayonnaise. My uncle won't touch the stuff, and "White Death" is his nickname for it. :)

I thought it was about salt. My college roommate was studying to be a dietitian and that was her pet name for salt.

I guess I should turn on the news. There might be a huge storm blowing our way. I may need to rush to the grocery store to buy out the milk and white bread. :rolleyes:

the snow has started here

Dave,
That was too bad about the Jon Beargrese race.. I have a Vet tech friend who volunteers at that race, she says those dogs are amazing.

No snow in Princeton yet, but it is windy!!!

chefjeanine said:
I thought it was about salt. My college roommate was studying to be a dietitian and that was her pet name for salt.

I guess I should turn on the news. There might be a huge storm blowing our way. I may need to rush to the grocery store to buy out the milk and white bread. :rolleyes:
Actually, the salt trucks are out. The dire warning has been extended to tonight. Cancellations are already :rolleyes: starting.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Actually, the salt trucks are out. The dire warning has been extended to tonight. Cancellations are already :rolleyes: starting.

It's supposed to hit here late Sat. evening - and conditions on Sunday (and I quote Craig James - THE weather man for this area) "could be crippling with blizzard-like conditions."......I'm still in "wait and see" mode. I'm just glad the bad weather isn't supposed to start until after my brunch show tomorrow....and should clear up in time for my Tuesday show! :D (because it's all about me, right?:rolleyes: )

Its is just cold and Windy in souther california. Little rain yesterday, and snow in the mountains, but never enough to come to 4000 ft

Ah, as clear as can be in northern Wisconsin - enjoy the junk down by you!

I've got a friend in San Diego who is giving me grief about driving his Corvette, and a friend in Florida who is giving grief about, well, everything.

OuchNow that's not nice. They should have to try a LOT of snow sometime.
I wish I could think about giving anyone grief about driving my corvette. I don't suppose it would sound the same with a Kia Spectra now would it?

Um, no.He has a really nice '69.

My dh is in Fontana, CA and he can see snow on the mountains at least....so Cory you could just tell everyone 'hey, we have snow...on the mountains.'
Feels like summer to him there, as he left last Monday from the cold and snow here.

Kris

I understand from my weather guy that your storm will hit the east coast Sunday night into Monday and should be way to the south of us here so we may just get flurries! That's quite alright with me!

we were supposed to get tons of snow here I dont know about the passes but we just got a small amount

We barely got a dusting overnight and they thought we would have got more.

I think all we'll get here is a few flakes too, but we'll see. I should really be rushing home right now, the "Big Storm" was supposed to start an hour ago!

The trouble is that you never know when the "Big Storm" really will come!

We have friends that were on "The Grapevine" today and I think dh said that it was pretty rough (they were in a big truck). Don't know if they had to put on chains or not.

Kris

2:10 AM, Saturday 2/24/07 (Dated in case this is my last entry ever)Looks like they got it right this time. There appears to be about 4" of snow on top of the cars, but if you'll pardon me, I'm not going out to check. I can still see the tops of my spruce trees, so we're not quite ready to become the Donner Party. Yet.It looks like the leading edge of this system is now over central Michigan and one part of it is over the northern part of Chicago. It's supposed to end here about 6 AM but looking at the radar, it looks to me like this one stretches all the way back to Iowa and Minnesota. This is the preliminary. The main event comes later today. Another storm front is supposed to be here later tonight and they've changed the prediction (again!) to 10-16" here. Maybe the sky IS falling?

Isn't it amazing...
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
2:10 AM, Saturday 2/24/07 (Dated in case this is my last entry ever)

Looks like they got it right this time. There appears to be about 4" of snow on top of the cars, but if you'll pardon me, I'm not going out to check. I can still see the tops of my spruce trees, so we're not quite ready to become the Donner Party. Yet.

It looks like the leading edge of this system is now over central Michigan and one part of it is over the northern part of Chicago. It's supposed to end here about 6 AM but looking at the radar, it looks to me like this one stretches all the way back to Iowa and Minnesota.

This is the preliminary. The main event comes later today. Another storm front is supposed to be here later tonight and they've changed the prediction (again!) to 10-16" here.

Maybe the sky IS falling?

That no matter what the weather is, predicted right or wrong--the weatherman always has his job?? or weatherperson, may be women still :)

I thought when I moved back to extreme S. Tx that I'd really miss the snow, only a little bit is missed around Christmas!! still trying to get used to holidays with Palm Trees decorated.

Not to rub it in but the sun has finally come out and it's been in the 80's-90's since it had been in the low 30-40 and I know from past experiences that that would seem very warm to most of y'all now too. *never thought I'd say y'all, or eat bean soup and love that too.

liz

I'm in the Buffalo NY area "southtowns snowbelt". They make a big deal over every flake in WNY. I live in the country & there is an expressway bridge around the corner & news crews are always out there reporting. One of these days when I'm having a good hair day, I'm gonna stop and ask them what they are doin. :rolleyes: Years ago we had SNOW! And, they didn't close school either. :mad: There were times when the bus or the plows fell off the side of the road because they plowed over the ditches. Then, I would keep my kids home & they would go snowmobiling. This year we have had more snow, but it still ain't nothin....I'll probably pay for that comment.:(
Oh, I forgot about the "surprise storm" we had on Oct 12th. We didn't get it where I live, but it was horrible in the city & north where I work. I actually had a "snow day" form work on Fri the 13th and it was a beautiful fall day here!:D :D :D

Liz, if you're seeing the sun come out at 3 in the morning, I want some of whatever it is you're drinking. :) I shoujld have been a meteorologist. I'd love a job where I can be wrong more than half the time, keep my job and get raises for it, too.Endora, the lake effect in Western NY is well known. There's also the Keewenaw Peninsula in the UP of Michigan that sticks right up into Lake Superior. There's a school up there, Michigan Tech, in Houghton, so it's a fairly well populated area - for reasons I will never understand. With over 180" of snowfall there each year, snow removal is a real task up there, and snow if often above the eves of most dwellings.Sure sounds like someplace I'd like to live. (NOT!)

Oswego NY is the NEW snow capital of our state. My grandson goes to college at Oswego & his dorm is feet from lake Ontario, They got hit bigtime this month with 10' of snow.
I'm likin the snow a little right now because we got a new puppy Dec 23rd & the housbreakin thing is goin on. Needless to say, I like her rollin in the snow better than the mud!
Yeah....let's all be meteorologists, Remember George Carlin's weather thing..."IT'S DARK"

Well, I hear the plow/salt truck running, so I'll have to go out in a little while and pick up what's left of my mailbox. (See my 'blog for more on the mailbox story.)

Hey, KG, just do what my DH did. Replace your puny mailbox post with a section of a utility pole. He buried 4 ft of it in the ground. Trust me. It's not going anywhere. Snow plows fear us!

was thinkin' the same thing...
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Liz, if you're seeing the sun come out at 3 in the morning, I want some of whatever it is you're drinking. :) I shoujld have been a meteorologist. I'd love a job where I can be wrong more than half the time, keep my job and get raises for it, too.

Endora, the lake effect in Western NY is well known. There's also the Keewenaw Peninsula in the UP of Michigan that sticks right up into Lake Superior. There's a school up there, Michigan Tech, in Houghton, so it's a fairly well populated area - for reasons I will never understand. With over 180" of snowfall there each year, snow removal is a real task up there, and snow if often above the eves of most dwellings.

Sure sounds like someplace I'd like to live. (NOT!)

about the raises, being wrong most of the time and they're paid extremely well to begin with. When I was growing up I was very interested in the weather but hate being on TV, Video, Radio, etc, oh well.

I'm drinkin' Sierra Mist with Cranberry drink, NO ALCOHOL THOUGH!! lol

Hey, you left out Kansas!! Only here could you be in a Severe Thunderstorm warning and Tornado watch last night.....now today we're in a Winter Storm Warning & we're supposed to have blizzard conditions this evening!
To make fun of your other thread.....OMG! Like, how crazy is that???:D

How's it this a.m. KG? I haven't talked to my mom since last night about 6:30 p.m. You guys are supposed to get hit again later tonight (around 10 p.m.)...along with some LE snow by Lake Michigan ...better call and make sure Mom isn't trying to shovel/snowblow too much snow by herself!!!!

We had nothing here up north, but are supposed to get snow starting mid-afternoon/evening...

lizcooks4u said:
about the raises, being wrong most of the time and they're paid extremely well to begin with. When I was growing up I was very interested in the weather but hate being on TV, Video, Radio, etc, oh well.

I'm drinkin' Sierra Mist with Cranberry drink, NO ALCOHOL THOUGH!! lol
I was on television once.

Mom made me get down before I fell and hurt myself.

The intermediate resultsFriday night, we were supposed to get 1 to 4 of light snow, revised later to be 4 - 6 inches. Here's the Katillac...
IM002634.jpg

And all that snow on the roof would be...
IM002633.jpg

That's 8" in case you can't see it, and the measurement in the driveway...
IM002636.jpg

confirms the 8".

And in case you thought I was kidding about the continuing saga of my mailbox...
IM002637.jpg

That's mine, after I picked it up out of the plow dropoff and rescued what was left of my mail.

I do admit, though, the Manning Mansion does look kinda pretty under 8" of Partly Cloudy.
IM002638.jpg

I can hardly wait to see what Mom Nature has in store for us tonight. The latest radar shows that you're already getting it in Chicago and it's over Lake Michigan, headed for Grand Rapids. ;)

Good night to stay home and practice TPC recipes!

That's a nice drift! Still clear up north here...a twinge of tiny hail for about 5 minutes and that was it.

My mom was shoveling/snowblowing all morning...grr...keep telling her I can get someone to help her but when you're 300 miles and she's stubborn...I can't MAKE her not do it...

I know. A few years ago, a friend of mine (who was 67 at the time) was late for a social event we attended together. He apologized for his tardiness and said, "I caught Dad outside, chopping ice from the front sidewalk. I didn't think a 93 year old man should be chopping ice, so I went and did it for him."I said, "DON! A SIXTY SEVEN year old man shouldn't be outside, chopping ice from the sidewalk!"He got kind of a sheepish look on his face and said, "I guess you're right."Don's in his eighties now, but he lives in Florida in the Winter.

<h2>1. What is a Winter Storm Watch and when is it issued?</h2><p>A Winter Storm Watch is issued when heavy snow, sleet, or freezing rain is expected to cause major impacts to commerce and society. It is issued when there is a potential for 8 to 12 inches of snow accumulation in South Central and Southeast Wisconsin from Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon.</p><h2>2. What other states will be affected by this Winter Storm Watch?</h2><p>The Winter Storm Watch is in effect for most of the midwestern states, including the Dakotas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.</p><h2>3. Should I be worried about the White Death coming?</h2><p>While it is important to take precautionary measures and be prepared for severe weather, it is also important to not panic. The severity of the storm may vary and it is important to monitor the latest forecasts for updates and possible warnings.</p><h2>4. Will this storm have any impacts on travel?</h2><p>It is possible that the storm may cause significant blowing and drifting snow, resulting in blizzard conditions. It is advised to start thinking about making alternate arrangements if you have travel plans on Saturday night and Sunday.</p><h2>5. Are school cancellations likely due to this Winter Storm Watch?</h2><p>In the past, school cancellations have been made based on these types of predictions. However, it is important to note that the severity of the storm may vary and it is ultimately up to the discretion of the school system. It is advised to stay updated on any school closures or delays.</p>

1. What is a Winter Storm Watch and when is it issued?

A Winter Storm Watch is issued when heavy snow, sleet, or freezing rain is expected to cause major impacts to commerce and society. It is issued when there is a potential for 8 to 12 inches of snow accumulation in South Central and Southeast Wisconsin from Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon.

2. What other states will be affected by this Winter Storm Watch?

The Winter Storm Watch is in effect for most of the midwestern states, including the Dakotas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.

3. Should I be worried about the White Death coming?

While it is important to take precautionary measures and be prepared for severe weather, it is also important to not panic. The severity of the storm may vary and it is important to monitor the latest forecasts for updates and possible warnings.

4. Will this storm have any impacts on travel?

It is possible that the storm may cause significant blowing and drifting snow, resulting in blizzard conditions. It is advised to start thinking about making alternate arrangements if you have travel plans on Saturday night and Sunday.

5. Are school cancellations likely due to this Winter Storm Watch?

In the past, school cancellations have been made based on these types of predictions. However, it is important to note that the severity of the storm may vary and it is ultimately up to the discretion of the school system. It is advised to stay updated on any school closures or delays.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
katie0128
Back