• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Remembering Cocoa & My Family During This Difficult Time

In summary, This is a touching story about the Rainbow Bridge and how pets go to a place after they die. It is a comforting story that will make you feel better.
ivebeen4given
I am new here and new as a consultant (havent done my first cooking show yet) but it is almost 1am at my house and I cant sleep. I have a dog named Cocoa which has been part of my family for 15 years and 2 months. I am 26 so this dog has been a major part of my family for over half of my life. We believe our time with her is very limited because she is in pain and we cant get to a vet until they open in the morning and because of her age we are expecting a certain final answer from the vet. I still live at home at home with my parents until I get married later this year. Well we are completely 150% attached to what we refer to as my sister and we are having a hard time coming to grips with the situation and to make matters worse my dad has dementia/alzheimers and it has really taken a toll on him. All this background just to ask for yall to please remember me and my family during this time. I know some people dont feel connections to pets as family members but my family does. So please remember us during this time. :(

wow, I will definitely have you and your family in my thoughts. I know how precious pets are and how they are truly family members. I felt the same way about my dog I grew up with. She was a springer spaniel (her name was "Spring") and we had to put her to sleep when she was 14. It was a heart-wrenching decision, but one we all made together, knowing that was best. That was literally almost 14 years ago, but I remember it all as if it was yesterday.

I feel your pain and I hope you get through this time ok.:( Good luck to you.

Oh no - pets ARE family members. And it is so hard to put them down. I've been with my mom when she has had to do it twice and it was so incredibly hard. She still cries over them and it's been over 3 years on the first, and 1 year on the other. They are such a part of our lives and we do truly love them. It's cool how God allows us to have such compassion for a creature that He created - that can't actually talk. (Although I could swear my dog talks to me sometimes!!!) But please know that I will pray for you and your family. This is so hard.

I'm so sorry to hear about Cocoa - I, too, know how you feel - had many cats growing up over the years and was attached to each and every one of them. My girl, Colibri, had to be put to sleep in 2001 (after battling cancer for nearly 2 years) - she was the best cat ever and I still miss her to this day - she was 15 1/2 and I had adopted her when she was almost 7. May you and your family get through this difficult, sad time. Don't feel bad about being sad - you should feel this way - your pet is definitely a part of your family.

I'm very sorry that you're going through this. You and your family will be in my prayers!

I've had to go through this with two pets and it never gets easier. There really aren't any "perfect" words to say right now. What I can say is, spend as much time as possible with her and just hold her as much as possible.

Oh I'm so sorry for you. I have been through this with my 18 year old cat 2 years ago, but it feels like yesterday. He was my baby! I had him before my 3 children and he loved to be cuddled just like a baby, so I know exactly what you are going through.

I will be praying for you and your family.

Prayers and hugs to you and your family!

Rainbow Bridge
'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'Author Unknown

My prayers are with you and your family.

janetupnorth said:
Rainbow Bridge

'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'

Author Unknown
Wow! Thanks for making me cry, Janet!:rolleyes: ;)
I am not what you really would consider a pet person, BUT, I have been attached to a few very special animals! I'm not one who loves all animals! I like them but I am not one who just loves all animals!
But before I get burned at the stake;) , I have had some very special animals. When I was young I had 3 very special animals. When my hubby and I first were together, he gave me a kitten and that cat and I were VERY close! And we've had a cat for 11 years now that adopted us, and we often play around and say he's our "cog", because he's loyal and loving like a dog, he even goes for walks with us! When ever we take walks, he follows us!
And we have a small dog that we just got last summer, and she is a perfect fit for our family and I can already tell that she has attached herself to each and everyone of our hearts! She is definetely part of the family!
This poem is very moving! I am going to save this poem and print it and keep it for when it is needed! My FIL, husband, and son are major animal people, I know it will touch them. Thanks for sharing, Janet!
And for the original poster, ivebeen4given, I will keep you and yours in my prayers!

Praying . . .

There are alot of dog, and cat lovers, here and we are all sending you our thoughts and prayers.

Keep in mind all the joy that she has brought you, and you have brought her. Comfort her, pet her head, and just be close, she will appreciate it and feel your love.

janetupnorth said:
Rainbow Bridge

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'

Author Unknown

Now that I can finally see the computer monitor through the tears:cry:. I wanted to say Thank you to you Janet for posting this. I have a good friend who is having to put her dog down tonight and she has had him longer than her husband;) . I am going to include this in her card.

ivebeen4given: you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

We have had to do this with one dog and one cat...we had the dog for 14 years, the cat for 15. They were in pain and sick, and it was a blessing for us and them to release them from the pain. It is a wonderful thing we can do for our animal companions, and though you will miss Cocoa you will know you have done the best thing for her.Robin

ivebeen4given~

Somehow I missed your original post, and I can see it's been two days. I pray that things are going well. I pray that God is helping you through the situation one moment at a time. Pets are very much a part of our families, so their pain or the loss of one of them hurts just as much (and as real) as with a "human" family member.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Well just to update on this situation. Our pet got somewhat better. We never knew what caused her to be in pain for that weekend. She was delirious and unable to walk properly for a few days afterwards. She then returned to almost normal. We took her into the vet this week just to get some info on somethings that were going on. She had tumors/knots in several places, heart murmur, and diabetes. After a tough decision was made my long loved pet has gone on to wait for us at Rainbow Bridge. This has been a rough two days. I was present when the decision was made and carried out and it took me most of the day to recover to form of composure and of course this happens on a day I have a show. I held it in long enough for the show. But his has been a long two days. Thank you for all your continued thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry for your loss. Cocoa will be waiting at the bridge!

Take the time YOU need to grieve - she was with you a long time.

Big hugs!

Awww...sorry to hear. I've had to put a few pets down and it is SO hard. But, she doesn't have any pain anymore.(...and you're welcome to the rest who thanked me for sharing the poem before...use it for whoever you need.)

So sorry for your loss of Cocoa - at least her pain is gone as hard as it is for you. I still miss my beloved cat Colibri who died in 2001 - it seems like yesterday.

I'm so sorry for your loss. We put down our Golden Retriever almost 3 years ago, she was 17, and I still think of her all the time. Everytime I see a golden, my heart skips a beat....She was my dog growing up, but last week we got a puppy for my kids & I'm already getting attached to her!
They are absolutely, without a doubt, part of the family. Praying for God's comfort during this time!!

I'm so sorry!
I know exactly what you're feeling.
Pets in my family are like my children.
You and your family are in my prayers.

Related to Remembering Cocoa & My Family During This Difficult Time

1. What is the "Remembering Cocoa & My Family During This Difficult Time" collection?

The "Remembering Cocoa & My Family During This Difficult Time" collection is a special collection created by Pampered Chef in memory of our beloved founder, Doris Christopher, and her family. It features a variety of kitchen tools and accessories designed to help you create warm and comforting meals for your family during difficult times.

2. How did the idea for this collection come about?

The idea for this collection came about as a way to honor Doris Christopher's legacy and her love for family, food, and bringing people together. We wanted to create a collection that would not only help families during difficult times, but also serve as a reminder of the importance of cherishing our loved ones and creating meaningful memories in the kitchen.

3. Are there any special features or designs in this collection?

Yes, there are several special features and designs in this collection. One of the most notable is the "Remembering Cocoa" design, which is featured on a variety of products and is a tribute to Doris Christopher's beloved dog, Cocoa. There are also unique products such as the "Family Love" spatula, which features a heartwarming message, and the "Comfort Casserole" pan, designed specifically for making comforting casseroles.

4. Can I purchase items from this collection as gifts for others?

Yes, you can definitely purchase items from this collection as gifts for others. In fact, many customers have purchased these products as gifts for friends or family members going through a difficult time. The heartfelt designs and practical functionality make them a thoughtful and meaningful gift for anyone.

5. Is there a special cause or charity associated with this collection?

Yes, a portion of the proceeds from the "Remembering Cocoa & My Family During This Difficult Time" collection will be donated to the American Cancer Society in memory of Doris Christopher's daughter, Julie, who passed away from cancer. This collection not only honors the memory of Doris and her family, but also supports a cause that was close to their hearts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefa
Replies
Views
nicki25
Replies
Views
Sheila