• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Re-Thinking Hands-On Cooking: A Cautionary Tale from Last Night's Show

In summary, at a recent cooking show, a guest cut off the tip of her finger while using a knife. The host had various kitchen tools available for guests to try, including a rotary grater and food chopper. The guest, who was knowledgeable about cooking, asked to try something and was given a 5" Santoku knife. She ended up cutting her finger and had to receive medical attention. The demonstrator is now hesitant to let guests use knives during shows and wonders if she is liable for the incident. She plans to call the guest and check on her, and may also consider recruiting her to join the business.
kam
Staff member
At last night's show I had a guest cut off the tipof her finger with a knife!!!!!:eek:

I don't do the standard Hands-On show where everyone stands around and does part of the recipe (I am just not "there", yet). Well, anyway, I DO pass around parts of the recipe for guests to try items. I will have guests use the Citrus press, or zest the lemons/limes with the Microplane, use the Food Chopper etc etc.

Well, last night, I passed around a bowl with the blocks of cheese and the Rotary Grater and had the guests grate the cheese. My host wanted to try the Madoline, so I had her grate some cheese at the table with the UM. Someone used the Food Chopper to chop some of the Green Onions.

One of the guests was obviously a person who cooks. She knew food terms/products etc. But not in a snobby way at all, if you know what I mean. Sometimes people who are "chef-like" in the kitchen can really put down using recipes, measuring etc. But she was NOT like that at all - she was very nice.

So she is standing by me and must have missed out on the grating and came up and said she'd really like to try something - could she do something? Well, at this point, I had not started the dessert and all that was left for was to slice the green ends of the green onions for the top of the H&C Brunch Sq.

So I place the cutting board, green onions and 3-1/2 inch paring knife in front of her. She says, well, the Santoku would really be better for this. So I geve her the 5" Santoku. Next thing I know, I see her throwing half the onions out and disappear. I have no idea. I am wondering what was wrong with the onions!!!

Next thing I know, a guest says she sliced the tip of her finger off! We had a nurse present - thank goodness! She did what she needed to do to try to stop the bleeding. They were saying she might have to go to the hospital if the bleeding doesn't stop to get a stitch!

So now I am SO leary about letting anyone use the knives at shows!

Has anyone ever had this happen at a show? Am I liable at all for this? I feel REALLY bad, but don't know what else I could've done. Did I miss something and not realize that we should not let guest's use the knives? She has Henckels at home - so I assumed she was familiar with a sharp knife - but I still feel bad.

The $2 per month that they take out of your check is for insurance. Reporting a Claim

Recruit her. She obviously wanted to do something which is a big red flag! Don't worry about her cutting her finger - it happens. Call her and ask her how she feels and tell her you were concerned. Then later in the conversation as her if she ever thought of doing this.

Sheila said:
The $2 per month that they take out of your check is for insurance.

Reporting a Claim

Do I have to report it? I don't want to make a big deal out of it if she is fine and she certainly didn't seem the type to make a big issue out of it. I was just concerned if she ended up having to go to the hospital.

BethCooks4U said:
Recruit her. She obviously wanted to do something which is a big red flag! Don't worry about her cutting her finger - it happens. Call her and ask her how she feels and tell her you were concerned. Then later in the conversation as her if she ever thought of doing this.

Yes, I think I will give her a call. Good idea on that she might be interested in the biz. But I had to really talk her into maybe doing a show - she just moved to town 4 weeks ago and knows no one. But she felt that she would be more ready for a show in about 5-6 months.

The last time I tried "Hands-On" I got slapped.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The last time I tried "Hands-On" I got slapped.

heehee - thanks for giving me a giggle about this!

kam said:
Do I have to report it? I don't want to make a big deal out of it if she is fine and she certainly didn't seem the type to make a big issue out of it. I was just concerned if she ended up having to go to the hospital.

Yes, I think I will give her a call. Good idea on that she might be interested in the biz. But I had to really talk her into maybe doing a show - she just moved to town 4 weeks ago and knows no one. But she felt that she would be more ready for a show in about 5-6 months.

You do not have to report it unless she has expenses from it. Did she go to the ER for stitches? If not I'd let it pass. If she did I would call HO on Monday and tell them of the injury (or use the links provided here). They'll go from there.

Hmmm... if she wasn't sure about even booking a party I might say somthing like. "Have you ever considering doing something like this? I can help you come up with ideas to get you off to a good start. If you are interested let's get together..." If she says no or not now then bring it up in host coaching for her show and see what she is thinking then.

I know several people who have started a successful PC business when they were new in town or who moved and built their business in the new place.

1. What is "Re-Thinking Hands-On Cooking" about?

"Re-Thinking Hands-On Cooking" is a cautionary tale that highlights the importance of being mindful and safe while cooking. It shares a real-life experience from a past Pampered Chef show where the host learned the hard way the consequences of not following proper safety precautions in the kitchen.

2. Why is this topic important for Pampered Chef customers?

At Pampered Chef, we are passionate about helping people create delicious meals and memories in the kitchen. However, it is also crucial for us to promote safe cooking practices to prevent any accidents or injuries. This cautionary tale serves as a reminder to our customers to always be cautious and mindful while cooking.

3. How does this story relate to Pampered Chef products?

Pampered Chef offers a wide range of high-quality kitchen tools and products that make cooking easier and more enjoyable. However, even with the best tools, it is essential to follow proper safety guidelines to avoid any accidents. This story serves as a reminder to our customers to use our products carefully and responsibly.

4. What are some key takeaways from "Re-Thinking Hands-On Cooking"?

Some key takeaways from this cautionary tale include always using proper safety equipment, keeping sharp objects away from children, and staying focused while cooking. It also emphasizes the importance of being prepared and organized in the kitchen to avoid any accidents.

5. How can Pampered Chef customers incorporate the lessons from this story into their own cooking routines?

Pampered Chef customers can incorporate the lessons from this story by always following proper safety precautions while cooking. This includes using safety equipment such as oven mitts and cutting boards, keeping sharp objects out of reach of children, and staying focused on the task at hand. Additionally, being prepared and organized in the kitchen can also help prevent accidents and injuries.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Hunter Mom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • AnnieBee
  • General Chat
Replies