• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quitting a F/T Day Job to Do Pampered Chef

In summary, Diane recommends preparing for scaling back by setting time limits, managing time, and prayer. She also advises working full time and having a part time job to have some stability while growing her business.
Sherry Leigh
:chef: I would love to quit my day job to do PC full time.
Who has done this, and how did it turn out?
How did you grow your business to be a full time job instead of a hobby?
I'm considering quitting the full time day job to take on a p/t job to have more time and energy to really grow my business. I've only been with PC 3 months.
Please share your experiences and tips.
TIA!

That is my dream too. I know in order to make it work, I need to build a team. That is the biggest key. Along with booking atleast 6-8 shows a month. My director tells us that if you get your calendar where you want it for the next 90 days, you will do great.

I began PC in July 2006 and was running a full time, licensed day care in our home. In August I turned in my license and just have one paying child now as I transition further into PC. It's been phenominal and I don't even want to go back. I know that doing home day care isn't the same as going out to work but it is income just the same. It took a leap of total faith in God to give up those 3 kids incomes but He had blessed me far beyond what any faith I had could imagine!

I would love to do that too! But I don't think it will ever happen. Pension and benefits are just too wonderful to give up with my f/t job. But, down the road, I may switch to part time....you never know!!

I feel like I need to take a leap of faith also. I know the first few months (at least) I'd be short on income, but I don't see how I can take my business to the next level when I'm spending most of my time and energy on a day job. My first step would be to get a part time day job, maybe three days a week, to have some "stable" income while I grow my business by building my team and doing more shows...and then the final step of PC only.
Diane - what did you do to prepare or expand when you scaled back daycare for PC?

I quit my FT job in August, and things were great in the beginning. I guess I slacked off because November wasnt what I wanted it to be, and needless to say December isnt so hot either. Hoping in the New Year to kick it up a notch and I want to earn a trip definately next year! I had some set backs last year with health and deaths in the family...my DH and I would love a romantic trip in 2009!

Basically YOU have to work at it all the time, Even though I am doing that, I feel sometimes I don't make the 3 contacts a day.

Good Luck.

PRAYED!!!!!!!!! Really... God's hand was in it all. 2 of the children that I had confirmed to be back in the fall had to leave and I had been seeking God's face about what to do and I asked Him for a clear sign. I had not confirmed any of the new children on my waiting list because I was just not at peace about doing that and when these kids had to leave for reasons that had nothing to do with me... I was just flooded with peace that God was in charge and that He would either increase my business so that we could afford the change or take care of us financially in other ways. My business has exploded in sales and I have 2 new recruits so HE just keeps showing Himself Faithful as He always does. SO truly it all happened in a very short time span and it's been quite a ride!

I work full time during the day and what I consider full time with Pampered Chef (4-8 shows a month). The biggest thing when juggling this is time management. I know I can be better at this but setting "power hours" has helped. That's where you figure out what you need to do within that hour. As soon as you are ready, your hour starts and you work your hiney off until the hour is up. That includes mostly phone calls. Then you can give yourself the last 10 minutes to do paperwork stuff. This has helped alot. I would love to get to the point where I do host coaching on one day, recruiting phone calls on another, booking calls on the next, etc to lessen the confusion even more. It is do able, you just have to work your business the way you want to.

I decided over the summer not to return to my f/t teaching career. I have to echo "quiverfull" PRAY!!! PRAY!!! PRAY!!! I was very frustrated with my "day job" but hesitant to give up the security of a paycheck. I had interviewed for an asst principal job the day before I left for National Conference. After hearing Duska Mills story at a general session, I called my husband & said "God just gave me my answer! If I don't get that job, I am going to quit teaching & do PC full time." You can guess what happened next!!

I am still trying to build my team, & it hasn't been overnight success, but I am headed in the right direction. My commission for Nov is going to be almost what my commission for all of 2006 was!!!

I have big plans for 2008! Ultimately, you have to be a peace with the decision & that is between you & God. I know this is a tough decision; I will be prayiing for you!

PS - You might want to listen to Duska's segment if it is still on CC - very inspiring!

All of the stories are awesome testimonies, thanks for sharing. :) My story is really no different than the rest. I, too went to National Conference this last July '07 and really had a heart-to-heart discussion with God and asked Him for guidance and I felt that I needed to move on and do PC full-time. I came home and told my husband I was quitting my full-time job and I was going to do PC full-time. At first my husband was really not to sure that I was doing the right thing, well I have proved him wrong. I have doubled my income every month since August '07. It is great feeling when you know that it is the right decision. Pray really hard and let God speak to you on what you should do. He will never lead you down the wrong path. I will be praying that God will lay on your heart of what is best for you. :)

I started PC in January as a hobby, while I worked full-time at my day job. I quit my f/t job this past July .. and am now doing PC f/t. My 'day' job was extremely stressfull, and I'd been there for 26 years .. so it was a big step for me. My husband has been 110% supportive - it was actually his idea to do PC f/t.
I, unlike most of you here, do not yet have a team! That surely is my goal, but just haven't had much luck. I had a very strong fall, but December is making me second guess my decision. But, I keep looking ahead to January, a new month, a new year, a new me!

Here is my dilema...I am single and have no one but myself to depend on for health insurance, pension, etc. My only child is graduating this year from High School and I pay child support (and for those of you who are involved with your children after a divorce, know that it doesn't end at the support check!) I can retire in about 6 years to get a reasonable retirement income once I collect it.

I have a team of about 15-20 and two future directors. Between my income from my f/t job (which is a management position) and PC, I would have to be nothing less than an AD and hopefully moving into the Senior Director area. I have been doing PC for 7 1/2 wonderful years. I know I could do so much more than I am, but I really hate to give up the 19 years I have put towards my retirement.

I would be anxious to hear if anyone out there is soley dependent only on their income. I guess I worry that as I age and medical expenses grow that I could be digging myself into a hole. Health insurance in NY state is (like most other states) OUTRAGEOUS!!! And then there is always the co-pays and what isn't covered. It all scares me into just working f/t and doing the best I can with PC to supplement my income.

Thanks for all the feedback and well wishes!
Any other inspirational stories about "ramping up" the business?

Must be I stump everyone when I post about wanting to go to PC full time. After days like today...it REALLY looks attractive, but I think I have figured that it is best to put up with the crap to justify the paycheck and benefits!!

I work a PT day job and have been trying to build up PC to a FT job. I had a great Oct., but Nov. and Dec. are now small. I have quite a few leads for the New Year so I'm hoping to keep building next year!

I don't have any benefits in my PT day job, but I still don't make enough on a regular basis w/PC to give it up. I plan on doing that in the future though!

The biggest problem for me w/working the two PT jobs is my family thinks I can do everything around the house! I have 3 children in their teens and we have so many activities, etc. I have so much laundry and I have to go to the grocery all the time!! I just feel like I'm pulled in many directions by working the two jobs. I'm always thinking of how much I could get done w/PC if I only did it, but much of it takes night time calling which is the hardest part for me. My children need me in the evening or I'm off to a game or a swim meet - and I can't call during a swim meet no cell reception in the school!

I agree w/the others though that God will lead you. I was ready to quit PC back in the Spring. I was tired of looking for shows. My old director quit and sent a show my way and I filled my entire fall from that one show! I had just prayed to God for an answer and I got it! When I started in this business I told myself I would give it five years so I really didn't want to quit either!

Best of luck w/your decision. I know it isn't easy.

Last edited:
Yes, you have your hands full. My son is not involved in school activities such as sports but my nephews were and keeping up with one of their schedules was busy in itself, but with 3 I can't imagine. And getting teenagers to realize all you do for them is difficult to say the least.

Yes, I'm sure it's that way for many of us! My husband has also had medical issues this year that have make him very tired when he gets home from work and he started a new job right before this happend! I really do almost everything to run the house. I do the shopping, laundry, pay the bills, take care of insurance, do the taxes, cook most of the meals (he will do a few of those), did I mention laundry, etc.

1. Can I make a full-time income with Pampered Chef?

Yes, many consultants have successfully transitioned from their full-time day job to running their own successful Pampered Chef business. With hard work and dedication, it is possible to make a full-time income with Pampered Chef.

2. How do I know if quitting my day job is the right decision?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your individual goals and financial situation. We recommend discussing it with your family and conducting thorough research on the Pampered Chef business model before making a decision.

3. Do I need any prior experience in sales or cooking to be successful?

No, Pampered Chef provides comprehensive training and support for all consultants regardless of their background. As long as you are passionate about cooking and willing to learn, you can be successful with Pampered Chef.

4. Will I have to host in-home parties to make sales?

No, while hosting in-home parties is a popular way to generate sales, there are also other avenues such as online parties and direct sales that can be equally effective. You can choose which method works best for you and your schedule.

5. What are the potential benefits of quitting my day job to do Pampered Chef?

Quitting your day job to do Pampered Chef can offer a flexible schedule, the opportunity to be your own boss, and potentially higher income potential. It also allows you to work from home and have more time for family and personal interests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kraber
  • kewaters
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • AlowayFamily