• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips to Work Smarter Not Harder?

In summary, the author is restarting their business after having a baby and returning to their full time job in 12 days. They would like to grow their business so they can replace their current income. They offer tips on bookings, recruiting, and host coaching for high show averages. They say it takes 7 days to develop a habit and 21 days to break it.
kdangel518
Gold Member
I am restarting my PC biz after just having a baby- I am returning to my full time job in 12 days and absolutely dreading it :-( I would like to build up my biz enough that I can replace my current income with PC.

I am looking for tips to work my biz SMARTER and not HARDER since I will be trying to grow my business and team quickly while balancing my new family and full time job.

So share your tips on bookings, recruits, host coaching for high show averages, etc.- specifics are appreciated! Thanks!!

Really? No one has tips? :p

Welcome back, and CUTE baby (I'm assuming your picture is your wee-love).For starters, you've only posted it this evening - barely an hour. :D It's Friday night, usually pretty quiet. (I tell myself it's all those shows they are doing! *knife to the heart!* haha)Anyway, I think the basic fact is- you probably already KNOW what you have to do. The message is the same. Get out your New Consultant Book, and work through it. PC lays it out very well. But if we don't DO IT, we don't get results. *I'm preaching to myself here too!* I went to Spring Launch recently with another consultant friend. We talked about this, and we both said "I KNOW what I need to do. I just haven't done it yet, or not enough." Make your list of everyone you know. CALL them, Tell them you are restarting your business, etc. Ask them if they would be one of your first hosts to help you get started, and as a Thank-you, they are going to get ...and then tell them some of the key host benefits. Offer an extra incentive if you want (Pick a $5-10 item that you think they'd love!)After that, stay on top of the Follow-Ups. That's where I lost the momentum. Now I"m stuck in the mud having to start over basically. Check in with customers regularly or create a reminder system in P3 or your calendar to follow up with them after 30 days, 90 days, and 11 months, etc. I'm sure others will come along and tell you all sorts of things, but it always comes back to the basics. Take some of the online training courses (again if need be).Read through the threads on CS...there is alot of stuff on here! :)

Last edited:
I work 50 hours a week and do 2 to 3 shows a week, sometimes 4 to 5. Organization is the key, I make tons and tons of host packets before shows and make lots of guest folders up (I actually have 3 set up (except for the order from). This way i'm not rushing around at the last minute.

Great ideas on this thread so far. I too am needing to re"boost"my business. Several family issues have sprung up and taken me off course. I appreciate the tips and comments thus far and look forward to reading future words of wisdom.

My biggest problem in the past has been organization and how to maintain continuity in the process required to move forward in both increasing my personal income and building a team. I have two interested in recruiting but alas I am the only member of my team so far. That WILL change by the end of 2012.

The organization issue has been my biggest downfall and I have read so many things about binderizing your business, tickler files and relying on P3 to keep track of all your contacts and phone calls to make. The most important thing I finally figured out was that not everyone processes mentally the same way so what will work for one will not work for another.

I personally work best with paper trail. Don't get me wrong I love how simple the computer can make things as well, but, I find I work best from a written TO DO list and calendar. It was this realization that made it quick and easy for me to organize myself and keep track of everything I need to do each day and I incorporated a little of each of the things I read about organizing my business.

The most important thing I have learned along the way is that it doesn't matter how well organized you are if you don't look at what you have organized EVERY DAY and complete the steps you have set up for EVERY DAY you will never move forward and your business will backslide alot faster than move forward. They say it takes 7 days to develop a habit and 21 days to break it. Get yourself organized in a manner that will be simple for YOU to work with and make a comitment to follow through with every step every day for 30 days and you will find amazing things begin happening.

Remember also to tell yourself every morning, 'What I do today will have the greatest effect on where my business is 3 months from now'. Keep track of the contacts and results everyday for the next month and then in mid May look back at the notes 90 days earlier and you will see the progress and growth you have made.

Now I have to do some preaching to myself.....:)

I work 50 hours a week and do 2 to 3 shows a week, sometimes 4 to 5. Organization is the key, I make tons and tons of host packets before shows and make lots of guest folders up (I actually have 3 set up (except for the order from). This way i'm not rushing around at the last minute.

OK, my complaining will stop right here. I was whining about my hours and trying to squeeze in 1 show. Yikes! I really am disorganized, so that is hard. But, WooHoo for you. I am SO impressed! You GO!

all of the above tips are Great !

Beside my laptop is a little laminated sign that I made.....

It is not their JOB to call you about a product or to have a show... IT is your JOB!!!

Get off the computer and pick up the damn phone!! NOW !!! Stop making up EXCUSES!!!

When ever I get on here or fb and start wasting time I see this little piece of paper and remember that I need to pick up the phone.

And something I was told 14 yrs ago when I started with PC was to organize my work day backwards ... first thing - set your timer for 15 mins to remind yourself to stay on track and clip it to your outfit...
1. what is for supper? take out the meat etc?
2. load of laundry started/fill dishwasher
3. pack up your crate/bag and set it by the door
4. make your morning calls
5. laundry to dryer/empty dishwasher
6. make your afternoon calls
7. prepare supper
8. off to show...

this has worked for me as while operating daycare children PLUS our construction company/cash crop farm.... thank goodness for the TIMER!

One tip that I have learned over the years is do not reinvent the wheel. I use all the forms/flyers that The Pampered Chef provides for us instead of creating my own/editing what others have made, etc.

Cathy pclady said:
all of the above tips are Great !

Beside my laptop is a little laminated sign that I made.....

It is not their JOB to call you about a product or to have a show... IT is your JOB!!!

Get off the computer and pick up the damn phone!! NOW !!! Stop making up EXCUSES!!!

When ever I get on here or fb and start wasting time I see this little piece of paper and remember that I need to pick up the phone.

And something I was told 14 yrs ago when I started with PC was to organize my work day backwards ... first thing - set your timer for 15 mins to remind yourself to stay on track and clip it to your outfit...
1. what is for supper? take out the meat etc?
2. load of laundry started/fill dishwasher
3. pack up your crate/bag and set it by the door
4. make your morning calls
5. laundry to dryer/empty dishwasher
6. make your afternoon calls
7. prepare supper
8. off to show...

this has worked for me as while operating daycare children PLUS our construction company/cash crop farm.... thank goodness for the TIMER!

I LOVE this! Did you by any chance get this from FlyLady?

Ok, so you've asked for specifics on, for one thing, how to in host coach to increase sales. Here's what I personally implimented for 2012 and my show sales have gone from $457 in 2011 to $802 so far this year (12 shows under my belt so far).

1. Pick specific days of the week you will hold shows and stick to it. ( I do Thurs. Fri. & Sat only)
2. Give host a guest list form with 40 names/addresses/email/phone spaces along with a s.a.s.e. to return it in. Post the date it is due back to you along with the stamps to mail invitations.
3. Every show is a "theme show'! Food choices are secondary to atmosphere and goal (i.e. a good time, quick cooking tips, easy meals, entertaining, etc).
4. Schedule host coaching dates immediately when show is booked.
5. Email invitations 2 weeks prior to show, mail invites 10 days prior.
6. Email reminders to those who have not rsvp'ed 1 week prior.
7. Coach your host to get outside orders and bookings for you! Coach her on what to say, i.e. when Suzy can't come, ASK her "if I bring you a catalog, would you place an order for me?" If host knows friend really loves PC but can't come, have her ask"Why don't you schedule a party so we can do it again when it works for you?! Plus, I'm supposed to get at least 1 outside booking. Will you do that for me? I'll have my consultant call yo and you can pick a good day with her."

I really like all these other suggestions here. I am organized, I know what needs to be done each day. To be honest I am struggling with the follow-thru on my daily list for business building activities.

"JUST DO IT" is what I have to tell myself every morning.

Another tip I have learned and am trying to stick to: Choose 1 recipe and stick to that for your shows, instead of choosing multiple recipe choices for a month.

chefliz said:
I LOVE this! Did you by any chance get this from FlyLady?

not sure as it came to me in an email from my director and I just 'borrowed' it and printed it out... might well be hers

words to work by! ;)

I've been with PC since May 2011. I work in 4-H Youth Development for my full time work and therefore already have 2 nights per week, average, on my calendar for work meetings (you can't meet with the kids & volunteers during the day...) I struggled at first with just getting shows booked, and then my November and December EXPLODED and kicked my butt because I was not well organized. However, this year I WILL get a hold on that. I've done these things so far, and they're working:

1. I created (thanks to my director) an Office in a Binder. It has folder pocket dividers for keeping each show (extra invites, order forms, notes from host coaching, etc.) in its own 'spot.' It has things like replacement parts lists, recruiting, basically every paper I might need to answer questions, etc. They're all in plastic sleeves which makes them easy to manage, flip and find quickly. I also have a pencil pouch (3 hole punched) in the front with a calculator, stamps, post-its, pens, pencils, etc. in it. I bought a bag from a friend who sells 31 to carry it in and it goes with me everywhere. At least in my car, if not carried into my office every day. It's all in a 3 inch binder.

2. When I mail invitations, I mail them for the host and I include a mini catalog. While this IS an expense, it's deductible. I've found that even people who cannot come, and think "they already own everything in the catalog..." can find something in those minis that intrigues them and often they'll place an outside order. I put a 1/3 page invite with the details on the front, recruiting info on the back, and a mini in a regular envelope and mail it. My director puts her return address on those but I put the host's on them so they'll know who it's "from" and will actually open it.

3. Finally (for now...) I have done something crazy with my calendar...I have an iphone and sync my 4-H work calendar with my phone. I keep a paper calendar for my PC obligations so I can keep it "off" my "work" calendar and the whole world doesn't need to see it, and because I have learned to take the mini (1.5x2) post-its and color code my PC information on it. I bought a planner style calendar that shows one month over two pages when you open it. The post-its are just a smidge too big for the blocks but they still work. I use Green for cooking shows, Yellow for catalog shows and Pink (similar to red) for a "Must Do" item. I can remember this because it's like a traffic light. Then I use blue or orange or a different color I have to put blank post-its on the days I'm 'available' for shows or for 4-H work. When I put a post-it on a date, I write the month/day on the post-it.

When something 'takes' that available day in my calendar, I either write it on the blank one temporarily or remove the blank post-it so I know I'm not available. I put "X" over the days that my 4-H work causes me not to be available, "/" on the ones that I'm choosing to not be available (i.e. my kids birthdays, family vacations, or a week that's already too busy and I'm not adding one more thing)

Now that I've written it out and it's so wordy, I think it sounds complicated. But the principle is this:

When I write things on the post-its, it's easy to be flexible and move things around as needed. No eraser, no scribbles, just move it. When a host has something come up and we move their show, I just peel it off and move it. I write the new date in the corner of the post-it and forget about it. Since I can see the 'available' days, I have no problem discussing options with the host when this happens.

Yes, it's sometimes a challenge to coordinate both of my calendars, but I'm getting better at fixing one immediately when something changes on the other. I only have to look at ONE place (my paper calendar) to see if I can add an evening/weekend activity when asked, and I can be flexible instead of annoyed that something changed.

The color coding helps me to know how many shows I have scheduled at a glance and be ready for them when they come up. They also help so I can see, at a glance, when to be sending out invites without having to read what's written down.

The other thing I do is to put 'potentials' in the margin on post-its. When I call someone I met who said "not now," and they say "not now" again, I ask them if I can call them back in a few months. I suggest a month, and when they agree, I move their post-it to the margin of the month I'm to call them again. Then, they'll either schedule when I call them back and I'll put them on a date, or they'll say "not now" and I'll move them ahead in the calendar.

While I'm not into the swing of 3, 2, 1 as we're taught, I think these things have helped me to have a strong January, February, and a booked calendar already for March. I'm glad I made the decision in January to give this a try, and I think that the previous posts are right...you just have to decide to do it and get it done.

To me, this whole thing is not even worth doing if I'm not going to reach my goals, so I put the pieces in motion to get there, and I'm proud to say that it's working very well!

Good luck - I'm really glad you asked the question as it's also helped me to learn some new ideas!

busylady said:
1. I created (thanks to my director) an Office in a Binder. It has folder pocket dividers for keeping each show (extra invites, order forms, notes from host coaching, etc.) in its own 'spot.' It has things like replacement parts lists, recruiting, basically every paper I might need to answer questions, etc. They're all in plastic sleeves which makes them easy to manage, flip and find quickly. I also have a pencil pouch (3 hole punched) in the front with a calculator, stamps, post-its, pens, pencils, etc. in it. I bought a bag from a friend who sells 31 to carry it in and it goes with me everywhere. At least in my car, if not carried into my office every day. It's all in a 3 inch binder.

Busylady thank you for sharing this!!! I actually found some ideas in your post that will help streamline what I have created for myself! Thank you again!

You're welcome - and I also agree to not reinvent the wheel and do what works for your thinking/learning/doing 'style.' Good luck!

Could you share more about your office in a binder?
busylady said:
I've been with PC since May 2011. I work in 4-H Youth Development for my full time work and therefore already have 2 nights per week, average, on my calendar for work meetings (you can't meet with the kids & volunteers during the day...) I struggled at first with just getting shows booked, and then my November and December EXPLODED and kicked my butt because I was not well organized. However, this year I WILL get a hold on that. I've done these things so far, and they're working:1. I created (thanks to my director) an Office in a Binder. It has folder pocket dividers for keeping each show (extra invites, order forms, notes from host coaching, etc.) in its own 'spot.' It has things like replacement parts lists, recruiting, basically every paper I might need to answer questions, etc. They're all in plastic sleeves which makes them easy to manage, flip and find quickly. I also have a pencil pouch (3 hole punched) in the front with a calculator, stamps, post-its, pens, pencils, etc. in it. I bought a bag from a friend who sells 31 to carry it in and it goes with me everywhere. At least in my car, if not carried into my office every day. It's all in a 3 inch binder.2. When I mail invitations, I mail them for the host and I include a mini catalog. While this IS an expense, it's deductible. I've found that even people who cannot come, and think "they already own everything in the catalog..." can find something in those minis that intrigues them and often they'll place an outside order. I put a 1/3 page invite with the details on the front, recruiting info on the back, and a mini in a regular envelope and mail it. My director puts her return address on those but I put the host's on them so they'll know who it's "from" and will actually open it.3. Finally (for now...) I have done something crazy with my calendar...I have an iphone and sync my 4-H work calendar with my phone. I keep a paper calendar for my PC obligations so I can keep it "off" my "work" calendar and the whole world doesn't need to see it, and because I have learned to take the mini (1.5x2) post-its and color code my PC information on it. I bought a planner style calendar that shows one month over two pages when you open it. The post-its are just a smidge too big for the blocks but they still work. I use Green for cooking shows, Yellow for catalog shows and Pink (similar to red) for a "Must Do" item. I can remember this because it's like a traffic light. Then I use blue or orange or a different color I have to put blank post-its on the days I'm 'available' for shows or for 4-H work. When I put a post-it on a date, I write the month/day on the post-it.When something 'takes' that available day in my calendar, I either write it on the blank one temporarily or remove the blank post-it so I know I'm not available. I put "X" over the days that my 4-H work causes me not to be available, "/" on the ones that I'm choosing to not be available (i.e. my kids birthdays, family vacations, or a week that's already too busy and I'm not adding one more thing)Now that I've written it out and it's so wordy, I think it sounds complicated. But the principle is this:When I write things on the post-its, it's easy to be flexible and move things around as needed. No eraser, no scribbles, just move it. When a host has something come up and we move their show, I just peel it off and move it. I write the new date in the corner of the post-it and forget about it. Since I can see the 'available' days, I have no problem discussing options with the host when this happens.Yes, it's sometimes a challenge to coordinate both of my calendars, but I'm getting better at fixing one immediately when something changes on the other. I only have to look at ONE place (my paper calendar) to see if I can add an evening/weekend activity when asked, and I can be flexible instead of annoyed that something changed.The color coding helps me to know how many shows I have scheduled at a glance and be ready for them when they come up. They also help so I can see, at a glance, when to be sending out invites without having to read what's written down.The other thing I do is to put 'potentials' in the margin on post-its. When I call someone I met who said "not now," and they say "not now" again, I ask them if I can call them back in a few months. I suggest a month, and when they agree, I move their post-it to the margin of the month I'm to call them again. Then, they'll either schedule when I call them back and I'll put them on a date, or they'll say "not now" and I'll move them ahead in the calendar.While I'm not into the swing of 3, 2, 1 as we're taught, I think these things have helped me to have a strong January, February, and a booked calendar already for March. I'm glad I made the decision in January to give this a try, and I think that the previous posts are right...you just have to decide to do it and get it done.To me, this whole thing is not even worth doing if I'm not going to reach my goals, so I put the pieces in motion to get there, and I'm proud to say that it's working very well!Good luck - I'm really glad you asked the question as it's also helped me to learn some new ideas!

What does it mean to work smarter, not harder?

Working smarter, not harder means finding more efficient and effective ways to complete tasks and achieve goals. It involves prioritizing tasks, delegating when possible, and using technology and tools to streamline processes.

Why is it important to work smarter, not harder?

Working smarter, not harder can lead to increased productivity, better time management, and a healthier work-life balance. It can also prevent burnout and help you achieve your goals more efficiently.

What are some tips for working smarter?

Some tips for working smarter include setting clear goals and priorities, delegating tasks to others, utilizing technology and tools, taking breaks to recharge, and avoiding multitasking.

How can I implement these tips in my daily work routine?

To implement these tips in your daily work routine, start by identifying your most important tasks and prioritizing them. Then, delegate any tasks that can be done by others. Utilize technology and tools to automate or streamline processes. Take breaks throughout the day to recharge and avoid multitasking, which can actually decrease productivity.

What are some common roadblocks to working smarter?

Some common roadblocks to working smarter include perfectionism, lack of delegation, poor time management, and a resistance to change. It's important to identify these roadblocks and find ways to overcome them in order to work smarter and more efficiently.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janezapchef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
janezapchef
  • AlowayFamily
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kcmckay
  • Alora Rueth