• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Questions About Brie: Leave Rind On & Eat It?

In summary, if you purchase a round of cheese with a rind, you are free to eat or not eat the rind. If you want to, you can google how to remove the rind.
twopamperedchefs
Not a Brie eater here, so I have 2 questions:

You purchase a round with a rind. Do you leave the rind on?

If so, do you eat the rind?

Yes, and yes.

Disgusting. Everytime I try it, I just can't make myself like it!

yes, leave the rind on.yes, it is edible, but you can choose to not eat it.

I like it and I eat it. Very good. If you don't leave the rind on while cooking the brie, it will melt all over the stone.

Yummmmmm! I'm not a "cheese wussy" so I can eat just about any of it!:D

Leave the rind on even when you're doing the pecan brie recipe?My host wants this ... to each her own.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Leave the rind on even when you're doing the pecan brie recipe?

My host wants this ... to each her own.

Yes, you MUST! If you don't, you will have burnt cheese all over the bottom of your host's oven.

I just Googled it because I was wondering what was actually in the rind, and this was what I found from ochef.com:

Q: I saw Martha baking Brie on her show on Saturday. I noticed she did not remove the white covering. I am new to brie and thought you were supposed to cut this off. Is it OK to always leave it on?

A: In The World of Cheese, Evan Jones recounted a story of Charlemagne tasting a new cheese for the first time at the table of a French bishop. "When the great man discarded the cheese's edible mold and ate only the rich, creamy paste, the distressed bishop asked, 'Why do you do that, my lord emperor? You are throwing away the best part!'" The story ends with Charlemagne eating the rind, and eventually bestowing lands and riches on the bishop. Whether it was Brie or Camembert or another cheese with an edible rind, Jones did not say.

But, like the emperor, you can certainly eat the rind, although we don't know whether you'll agree that it is the best part. The rind or skin is formed naturally by molds and bacteria on the surface of the cheese, which start out as fine white hairs and grow to what the French call poil de chat, or cat fur. The fur is rubbed off, and underneath is a thin rind encasing the nearly fluid interior of the cheese.

Some people find the skin rather bland and don't eat it. Bries (and all commercially produced cheeses in this country) are made from pasteurized milk, which may account for the rather uninspired taste of the rind. It would be a huge mess and enormous waste of time to remove the rind from a wheel of brie before baking it.

yes, the rind stays on and the whole thing is yummy!!! I love this and my guests practically lick the stone clean. I make it with the apricot jam and the pecans and leave out the hot pepper.

Related to Questions About Brie: Leave Rind On & Eat It?

1. Can I leave the rind on brie and eat it?

Yes, the rind on brie is completely safe to eat and adds a unique texture and flavor to the cheese. However, some people may prefer to remove the rind before consuming.

2. Is it necessary to remove the rind on brie before serving?

No, it is not necessary to remove the rind on brie before serving. It is a matter of personal preference whether or not to leave the rind on for consumption.

3. What is the best way to eat brie with the rind on?

The best way to eat brie with the rind on is to slice the cheese and enjoy it with crackers or bread. You can also use it in cooking, such as melting it on top of a dish or adding it to a salad.

4. Is there a difference in taste between brie with the rind on and brie with the rind removed?

Yes, there is a difference in taste between brie with the rind on and brie with the rind removed. The rind adds a slightly earthy and mushroom-like flavor to the cheese.

5. Can I leave brie with the rind on at room temperature?

Yes, you can leave brie with the rind on at room temperature. However, to ensure the cheese stays fresh and safe to eat, it is recommended to wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Tamzin1020
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • pkd09