• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should Insurance Companies Cover Longer Hospital Stays for Mastectomy Patients?

In summary, the conversation is about a proposed mastectomy law change that would require insurance companies to cover a 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy. The speaker is urging others to sign a petition supporting this bill and to pass it along to others. They share their personal experience with a previous surgery and express their support for the bill, but also question what else may be included in it.
WLMcCoy
Just got this e-mail.. wanted to pass it along..

Please read and consider taking action and forwarding to others.

There is a link at the bottom of the message to the Lifetime Network’s website to sign the petition, if you are interested in doing so.

Proposed Mastectomy Law Change
(written by a surgeon)

I'll never forget the look in my patients’ eyes when I had to tell them they had to go home with the drains, new exercises and no breast(s). I remember begging the doctors to keep these women in the hospital longer, only to hear that they would, but their hands were tied by the insurance companies.

So there I sat with my patient giving them the instructions they needed to take care of themselves, knowing full well they didn't grasp half of what I was saying, because the glazed, hopeless, frightened look spoke louder than the quiet 'Thank you' they muttered.

A mastectomy is when a woman's breast is removed in order to remove cancerous breast cells/tissue. If you know anyone who has had a mastectomy, you may know that there is a lot of discomfort and pain afterwards. Insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure. Let's give women the chance to recover properly in the hospital for 2 days after surgery.

This Mastectomy Bill is in Congress now. It takes 2 seconds to do this and is very important. Please take the time and=2 0do it really quick! The Breast Cancer Hospitalization Bill is important legislation for all women.

Please send this to everyone in your address book. If there was ever a time when our voices and choices should be heard, this is one of those times. If you're receiving this, it's because I think you will take the 30 seconds to go to vote on this issue and send it on to others you know who will do the same.

There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act which will require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy. It's about eliminating the 'drive-through mastectomy' where women are forced to go home just a few hours after surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy from anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached.

Lifetime Television has put this bill on their web page with a petition drive to show your support. Last year over half the House signed on. PLEASE! Sign the petition by clicking on the web site below. You need not give more than your name and zip code number.

<http://www.mylifetime.com/community/my-lifetime-commitment/breast-cancer/petition/breast-cancer-petition>

This takes about 2 seconds. PLEASE PASS THIS ON… to the guys too.

I am totally in favor for this. I just can't believe they would expect these to be outpatient! I'm just curious as to what else is in the bill - they can't just put a good thing alone in a bill as we all know!

I've decided the next time I go to the hospital for surgery I'm not leaving until I'm good and ready. I came home from my gall bladder surgery last year a day too early!! I couldn't move or get out of bed from the pain. I told my husband the next time I won't leave the hospital until I can take a shower on my own! I'm very bull headed so they won't be able to kick me out - trust me. I don't care what my insurance says!

Thank you for sharing this important message and petition with us. It's unfortunate that insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure, causing unnecessary discomfort and pain for women who are already going through a difficult time. I will definitely take the time to sign the petition and pass it along to others in my network. It's important for our voices to be heard in support of the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act.

What is the Proposed Mastectomy Law Change?

The Proposed Mastectomy Law Change is a proposed change to the current laws surrounding mastectomy procedures for breast cancer patients. It aims to provide more comprehensive coverage for these procedures and related treatments.

Who will be affected by the Proposed Mastectomy Law Change?

The Proposed Mastectomy Law Change will primarily affect breast cancer patients who require a mastectomy procedure. However, it may also have an impact on insurance companies and healthcare providers who will be responsible for covering the costs of these procedures.

What changes will be made to the current laws?

The specific changes that will be made to the current laws are still being debated and finalized. However, some proposed changes include expanding coverage for reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy and removing restrictions on the timing and type of mastectomy procedures that are covered.

Why is the Proposed Mastectomy Law Change important?

The Proposed Mastectomy Law Change is important because it aims to provide better access to necessary medical procedures for breast cancer patients. It also seeks to alleviate financial burden and improve overall healthcare for those affected by breast cancer.

What can individuals do to support the Proposed Mastectomy Law Change?

Individuals can support the Proposed Mastectomy Law Change by staying informed and advocating for it through contacting their elected officials, signing petitions, and spreading awareness through social media and other platforms. They can also support organizations and charities that are working towards this change.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• braveslady
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
ragschef
  • hmolah
  • General Chat
Replies