• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Phone Follow up Fright: Help!!!

In summary, the author is afraid of making phone calls and is considering doing online shopping shows instead. She offers some advice on how to overcome this fear.
Ann-Marie
As I type this, I feel so silly, but, if I am going to stay in this business (which is my intent :) ), then I have to "get over it." IT? "IT" is the fact that I have this illogical fear of calling people. I'm the girl in the office that will not order lunch, if someone isn't already ordering and will make the call. I know I sound crazy...

So, yesterday I had a pretty successful ( I believe), street fair. It was the first street fair I ever did. By 3:00 PM I was out of all my handouts, catalogs, etc.:. I read a lot of "what to do and what not to do" at these things ... I specifically did NOT raffle off various products AND a FREE COOKING SHOW -- I just raffled off a FREE COOKING SHOW. I made it clear that a FREE COOKING SHOW is a show where I come and prepare a quick and easy recipe, I bring all the ingredients, paper goods, etc, I prepare and clean up and all you (the Host) does is invite some friends over.

I had over 50 people signup. So naturally the plan for today was to call everyone and tell them they won and set up their show ....

So what is wrong with me. I am sitting here, staring at the phone and NOT calling anyone. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.... what can I do to over come this silly "Fright"

I am the SAME way. I hate calling the hair dresser to make appts. I dont really mind answering the phone but I have calling. I just started PC. I have had 3 shows but I have like 7 bookings. I did call two people today to go over host packets. i am the person who dials the phone and then doesnt hit send. "i will do it later." i said that last week! I just dont like doing it!
Wow, this was no help to you. I am just sharing in your misery.

Go Ahead!:rolleyes: Congrats!;)
:p GET OVER IT!:D
Yes, now is the time to follow-up!

Smile and Be Excited! They can hear it and get Excited too!

Make sure you have your script and definately the 'Office Time' set up well in advance! I like to prepare everything the day before. Get my coffee/water and get started! It does get easier the more you do it!

Know your scheduling dates in advance and tell them: "I am currently scheduling shows between October 1st through December 15th and January 1st through March 20th, which one of these dates work best for you?" If not: "Our New Catalog, which will feature New Products, will be available in March. Let's schedule (or pencil you in) for an early Spring show, then we can show all the Fabulous New Products to your family and friends!"

Share your goals! If you are aiming for that Level 3 Incentive trip-let them know! Most will help you out!

Offer Online Shopping Shows on your website! It's the easiest show ever!

I sure hope this motivates you -it's working for me!:rolleyes:

Good Luck!:cool:

It's not illogical. You are calling complete strangers that may be rude to you. Once you think about the worse possible thing that can happen (maybe someone hanging up on you or calling you a bad name?), then you can proceed. I mean, really, if someone yells at you, you won't be hurt and five minutes later you can be over it. I have yet for anyone to be downright rude to me. Some people are evasive and obviously irritated that I called, but they are still relatively polite.

After a fair and I have a stack of names, I do baby steps. I tell myself, "I can go do XXXX as soon as I call three people." Then I stop at three people. The next day, or perhaps later in that day, I might do the same thing. If you think in smaller steps it might be less overwhelming. To count the slips and think of calling them all at once is too overwhelming. Just think of calling three people and then stop - even if you don't get anyone.

Good luck. It's a drag but you'll be glad later.

Making phone calls can be both intimidating and overwhelming. I was the same way until I went to work as a veterinary technician many years ago at a very busy practice- and I had no choice but to return phone calls; most of times to people I didn't know.
Try writing down what you will say and practice it several times until you "have it down", then just pick up the phone and call. Remember they can't come through the phone and get you and the worst thing that can happen is that they say no. If they say no either celebrate that (because you're one no closer to a yes) or tell yourself- "Some will, Some won't, So what." I promise it will get easier after the first few calls. Hope this helps

Yes writing it down helps. That what I did and sometimes still do. It is very frightening, but once you get going it gets easier. When I talk to people now I try to think that I know this person, try some small talk at first and it makes things more comfortable.

I write down some key words that I want to say as well, and it just helps me keep focused on what I am trying to achieve by calling. I have never had anyone be rude to me, but I still feel scared calling. There is a cute thread in the Chef's Lounge that talks about Phone-a-phobia that makes it sound a little better!

I completely understand what you're going through! I am the same person who never calls for take out, etc. I don't mind face to face, but hate the phone. I was hardly ever on the phone even as a teenager-unless someone called me! When my husband & I were dating, he used to wonder why I never called!

I agree with the baby steps & getting prepared a day before you call. I try to write down who I want to call, their number, etc. the day before. Otherwise I get too tired to actually do anything. I also get myself water, etc., so I can't use that as an excuse to not hit send. I have found that it does get easier the more I do it, especially for calling people who have already booked. It's still hard to call leads--last week a husband answered & I could hear him telling the person who was on the phone. He came back & told me she was asleep. Oh well! Just makes me wonder why they bother filling the cards out if they don't want me to call! But, like previous posters said, most people will at least be polite to you, even if they do say no. Not everyone will say no!!

ThanksThanks for the encouragement, advice and letting me know I am not alone with my "crazy" phobia:)

I wrote a quick script, told my self to "tackle it" 5 at a time. I called 5 people back so far: 1 booked date, 1 will call back to book the date (she is at the airport) and 3 voicemail messages ...

I will keep plugging away --- 5 at a time;)

Thanks again!

Good luck Ann-Marie! Breaking anything into smaller pieces seems like a much less daunting task!

I WAS the same way, but quickly learned that to be successful in this business (and to sustain that success) you have to get over your phone phobia. Just do it!! That's the best advice I can give you. Start small with baby steps, something like make 2-3 calls a day. Don't wait too long with these people who signed up for a free show. Their excitement will fade fast and they'll lose interest. That would be MY biggest motivator!!

Believe me, it gets easier!! YOu just need to get over that hump of getting started. Think of all of those potential shows. That is HUGE. And I think now is the best time for shows b/c of the new catalog, GREAT host specials and the holidays coming up. You are lucky because you have a very specific reason to call them right now, so if it's more comfortable to make up a rough script or outline, do that, then get on the phone.

Set a goal for yourself each day. Keep track of all the leads in some way (I use Contact Management in PP) so you know who you've left messages for and who you'll need to call back. Report your results here, we would love to hear how it goes!:D

Ann Marie....I just re-read the post after I posted my reply and I must not have hit "post reply" right after I typed it, so mine posted after I saw your latest response.

You can do it!It is much easier to make the phone calls when you are carried by the enthusiasm and momentum of a positive event. Strike now while its fresh!
You'll regret it if you don't follow up and make those calls!

Ann-Marie said:
As I type this, I feel so silly, but, if I am going to stay in this business (which is my intent :) ), then I have to "get over it." IT? "IT" is the fact that I have this illogical fear of calling people. I'm the girl in the office that will not order lunch, if someone isn't already ordering and will make the call. I know I sound crazy...

So, yesterday I had a pretty successful ( I believe), street fair. It was the first street fair I ever did. By 3:00 PM I was out of all my handouts, catalogs, etc.:. I read a lot of "what to do and what not to do" at these things ... I specifically did NOT raffle off various products AND a FREE COOKING SHOW -- I just raffled off a FREE COOKING SHOW. I made it clear that a FREE COOKING SHOW is a show where I come and prepare a quick and easy recipe, I bring all the ingredients, paper goods, etc, I prepare and clean up and all you (the Host) does is invite some friends over.

I had over 50 people signup. So naturally the plan for today was to call everyone and tell them they won and set up their show ....

So what is wrong with me. I am sitting here, staring at the phone and NOT calling anyone. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.... what can I do to over come this silly "Fright"

ROFLMAO Ann AMrie, I am not laughing AT you - I am laughing WITH you. I am exactly the same way.
One thing I found helps is writing down a script-type of outline to refer to when you're making the camms. That, and bribing yourself with chocolate kisses for each call you make - LOL

dannyzmom said:
That, and bribing yourself with chocolate kisses for each call you make - LOL
I've heard of lots of consultants doing this! What a great idea! My reward would be letting myself check email and getting on THIS website! Use that as a reward!!!!

I've heard of chocolate and m&m's too. Stick about 10 m&m's (or how ever many calls you want to make that day) by your phone in a pile and eat one for every phone call.:D

I thought I was alone in this... sometimes I am afraid that I would be pestering the person... so I try and put it off as long as possible..... But if I dont' call they won't know if I have time for a show or not if I dont' ask!!

I too hate to make calls and if I did I know my business would skyrocket!!!

Put a $ on the phone and think of every call as money in your pocket....

It is good to be in such great company. On the phone-a-phobia thread I posted that I hate making phone calls for anything. I'm trying to get myself to make 2 calls tomorrow, wish me luck that I'll finally pick the phone up. My girlfriend is going to be over cooking with me and she is the one that recruited me so maybe that will help.

There's a good CD I got from the Lemonaid Lady about phone phobias and I've lent it out to consultants who want to try to overcome this too. Her website is at www.lemonaidlady.com. I subscribe to her email newsletters and heard of the cd through there. Unfortunately her website isn't that great because I couldn't find a list of the cds she sells!! Maybe someone else will have better luck if they look for it. It's not a bad idea to get her free e-newsletter.

:)

I have a porblem with the phone as well. I just don't want to bother anyone!! I have really been trying to coach myself. And when I sit down at the phone I try to put myself in their shoes. Would I be happy if someone gave my the opportunity to have a show? Of coarse!! and if they aren't then did it hurt me?... No... did it hurt them?...NO... so just move on to the next call. I read on here somewhere "no one else is going to work my business so I better!!" and that is very true!! So I try to tell myself that everyday when I don't want to make calls and that will at least get me to the phone!!

pamperedbecky said:
There's a good CD I got from the Lemonaid Lady about phone phobias and I've lent it out to consultants who want to try to overcome this too. Her website is at www.lemonaidlady.com. I subscribe to her email newsletters and heard of the cd through there. Unfortunately her website isn't that great because I couldn't find a list of the cds she sells!! Maybe someone else will have better luck if they look for it. It's not a bad idea to get her free e-newsletter.

:)

Is this it http://www.storesonline.com/site/677358/product/PhonePhobia-CD ?

Yes that's it. I don't know why I couldn't navigate around well to find it on her website. I got it back when she was doing a deal and I got another CD and that one for a special price.

Hi Ann Marie:

I grew up in 4-H cooking in other people's home's doing my demo's. Yet I was soooooo afraid to do a home show; but I finally did it and boy am I ever glad. It was on 8-25 and was a large group of strangers yet we all had a blast. The hostess earned $ 140.00 free product too. So far that's my biggest show ever, $700.00; so the phone does seem bad, especially when you're put on the spot or know you have to do it, but sometimes I tell the caller I'm in a booking blitz or contest and most are willing to assist you and will book a show. Even if I"m not in a contest I will do this :)

HTH and Good Luck!

Elizabeth Anne-Marie :)

I have the same problem, however, looking at it from the outside in.... what was the point of going to the fair, and your not bugging these people. They wouldn't have given you their name and number if they weren't interested. Maybe think about it from their perspective - wouldn't you want the call.

good luck - the first few calls might be hard, but as soon as one says yes... oh, boy you'll be rolling!

It's like I am afraid their are going to bite me through the phone or something..... LOL I know it's a silly thing to be afraid of, the other thing is I don't want them to think I am being too pushy ..... what do I do?

I, too, had a big phone phobia. Then, I read Harvey MacKay's "Beware the Naked Man that offers you his shirt." He was a coach (a very successful one) who went on to do pr and motivational speaking. Anyway, it may be a strange title but he talks about how to make those phone calls and how important they are to your business. Of course, it's an older book, so it talks about working your rolodex, but, with contact management available nowadays, it's still a good idea to talk to people. (You might be able to find this book at your area library)

If you remember the idiom, "image everyone has no clothes on" (when making a speech -- the number one phobia most people have)...each and every one of us have things we are interested in...if you remember to get those special things disclosed during the call, it's easier to make a geniune contact between you and your caller. It's as simple as how are you; I do PC for my kids/grandkids (your reason), do you have kids or grandkids? I suscribe to the Barbara Walters method of talking to people...keep asking questions until you find out what they're interested in and then, kick back, relax and enjoy talking to them.

Remember, if you have a "heart tug," then they do too.

Trish

That is an extremly good point to make!! I never thought of it in that light... thanks!!

helpi know this is the wrong thread but i am looking for the number of the carbon copy address labels we can give our host. thanks

don't worry about what thread you're posting on...most
katie456127 said:
i know this is the wrong thread but i am looking for the number of the carbon copy address labels we can give our host. thanks

of us are willing to help, some of the board members have problems with posts being on wrong threads, they must have too much time on their hands to worry about such pettiness!!!

I"m not sure, but it should say on the bottom, guest, hostess, consultant :)

HTH;

Liz

Hey Liz- I understand what Anne was talking about, and she isn't just being picky. For the most people to see a thread and respond to it it needs to have a clear title and be in its own thread. She isn't being picky, just stating the obvious. Most people won't even know that this question is here, but it is a free country to post wherever you please. Just my opinion...

UPDATE: I have called 12 people so far and the reward has been OUTSTANDING!!! And YES, when you get a possitive result, the next call is sooooooo much easier!

I have 5 more shows on my calendar and a FUNDRAISER!!!!

That $50 fee for the table at this fair was SOOOOOO worth it!

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement!

Congrate Ann-Marie, you inspire the rest of us who don't like to make the calls.

I don't remember who said it but..."nothing feels better than success."

Congratulations, Ann Marie on your progress (!) towards success!!

Trish

Ann-Marie:Congrats! You had a very successful call blitz!!! GOOD FOR YOU!! If I may mention two things from Belinda Ellsworth that help me: Her advice when someone tells you "no". That they are just saying no to a great opportunity or free products... so just chock it up as their loss and move on to someone who does want to take advantage! And, if someone has checked off that they want more info on an entry slip, they want you to call them. If they didn't they wouldn't give you their number. I never thought of it that way.

Gillian: Thanks, but it wasn't me that had a problem with threads featuring multiple topics (althought it was a good point). I just suggested people try to be more specific with their thread titles so they can be better helped faster because I know how it feels to get no help. I can't imagine that being the pettiness Liz mentioned.

katie456127: Its #EF40 Guest Address Labels/15 2.50 Hope that helps!

Congrats Ann-Marie....... keep up the good work!!

Thank you Ann-MarieMaybe now I can get on the phone. I have weird hours at my regular job and I hate calling people after 8 p.m. But it's the only time I have to do this. And these are cold calls. I only have 4 new leads to work with but I really need to catch up with my past hosts. I suppose if I set a limit of 9 p.m. at the latest this should work. I don't remember when I called these people last so I can't judge a time frame. Now, I just gotta get it out of my head that tonight between 8 and 10 CDT are the premiers of CSI and Grey's Anatomy and make those calls anyway!
(Between at commercials of course!)

I have to disagree with you there John! I am not chancing ANYTHING tonight and turning off MY ringer!! If Ed MacMahon came to my door tonight I would tell him to come back later!! I LOVE Grey's Anatomy (favorite show of all time since episode 1!) and have been waiting for this night all summer! Kick CSI's a$$!!

Ann-Marie said:
UPDATE: I have called 12 people so far and the reward has been OUTSTANDING!!! And YES, when you get a possitive result, the next call is sooooooo much easier!

I have 5 more shows on my calendar and a FUNDRAISER!!!!

That $50 fee for the table at this fair was SOOOOOO worth it!

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement!
Ann-Marie,
That's awesome!! Keep that momentum going. HOpefully you'll inspire some others to get on that phone and get some results!!! I had some great results from the last booth/table I did. I've done them at this particular women's health club before and didn't have much luck, mostly because there was NO traffic through there. Last Saturday was different. My winner didn't seem interested in the free cooking show that was part of my raffle prize, but I've offered free shows to about 3 people so far from the 12-15 names from my raffle. so far TWO have taken me up on it for October. I haven't even called all the people yet because I've been swamped. The booth was FREE (other than the $$ I had to pay the babysitter) but it's turning out to be well worth it. I have 11 shows total for October and 3 different vendor fairs!!:eek: It's gonna be nuts, but this will REALLY help me book the rest of the year and get that Atlantis trip!!! I hope!:D

Good luck in October Becky! I am having an awesome September but I only have one show in October :(

Well...I actually did sit through the WHOLE of Grey's Anatomy. I was a little disappointed in the episode though. Never really did answer any of the cliff hangers from last year. Although I was shocked to see that Miranda has a heart! Anyway, I got in 6 calls from 7 to 8 but no luck. I have 4 people who need to book before the end of November and one by the end of COtober but I can't seem to ever get a hold of them and they never return my calls. I even went so far as to go the the hosts they booked from. Nothing! I know that sinking feelign and I hate it so... More calls on Sunday! Of course before Desperate Housewives!

Last edited:
I know this thread is a few weeks old but I'll chime in here... I got a home office lead a year ago from a girl that wanted info and wanted to host a show. She signed up at booth that said that she wanted to host and conusltant info and the person at the booth never called her. Long story short: She went directly to PC and asked for a consultant...I got her as a HO lead and she is going to be my first director! FOLLOW UP! They didn't fill out the forms for nothing!

That is awsome congrats!!!!

finley1991 said:
I know this thread is a few weeks old but I'll chime in here... I got a home office lead a year ago from a girl that wanted info and wanted to host a show. She signed up at booth that said that she wanted to host and conusltant info and the person at the booth never called her. Long story short: She went directly to PC and asked for a consultant...I got her as a HO lead and she is going to be my first director! FOLLOW UP! They didn't fill out the forms for nothing!
you are absoultely right!

That is a great lesson to learn!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Bren706
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • rebajoe