• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personality and Pampered Chef Success

In summary, Paula, I think you are an introvert who has found success in PC because you are good at meeting and talking to people. I think this is an advantage for you in terms of recruiting.
rebeccastt
Silver Member
For all of you who have successful PC businesses, how much does your personality affect your business?

I've been thinking that most of you successful men and women must have a "people-person" personality. God has made me an introvert. I don't like big crowds, crazy schedules, or action, action, action. I know that if I want my business to succeed that I will have to be very disciplined in my approach.

That being said, are you an extrovert? Do you thrive on action? Do you love being with people?

I'm really curious as to what your personalities are like. It's hard to know the real you through your posts.

I am an extrovert and love to talk to people, but I have to say, I think it's definitely more about building relationships than being an introvert or extrovert. My hubby is an introvert, yet he is in sales and makes very good money. He's good at what he does because he listens attentively to people and makes them feel important. I tend to talk over people, and have to always remind myself to shut up and listen!! Have you ever done the Myers-Briggs test? It's really eye-opening - not just in learning your personality type, but also learning what you can do to utilize your strengths and build on your "weaknesses" to be the best you can be at whatever you do. It's def. worth looking into. GL! :)

I'm a shy person and I have difficulties just flat out talking to people out of the blue that I don't know. I really want to, and I know once I do it's easy but it's the first words that are hard. Although I have these personal "issues" I still have an almost full schedule of shows and I've recruited 2 people now. I love my business and I think that is what makes it possible. People really see that I'm having fun and that the products are great! Use what you have to it's fullest!

I was actually very shy as a child, but nobody believes me now when I tell them that! They usually look at me and say "yeah, right!" and even laugh at me!!

I still remember it vividly, one day we were at the beach (I lived in Florida growing up!). I was with our church, and they decided to play volleyball. Now this will probably sound really silly, and it is, but...
I've never been athletic. I wouldn't play because I didn't think I'd do it very well, and the others might laugh at me.
OK. I sat on the sidelines, watching. I remember thinking, this is not fun at all! And what was I worried about, anyways? If they laugh....so what??

That was a true turning point in my life. I made up my mind, then and there. I was done being shy!
Hard? You betcha...at first! I just "jumped in", the next time there was something to do. I learned to laugh WITH them at me, and haven't looked back yet!!

True story!!

On a different note, however, you may have an advantage over us "extroverts" in the PC business when it comes to recruiting. You see, many of us talk sooo much, we have trouble stopping long enough to listen!

So, it's all good, in its own way...!!

Blessings,
Paula

HI Rebecca:

I am sure you will find people here all over the board, personality-wise.

I appear to be an extrovert, but one of the reasons I joined PC was to get better with meeting and mixing with new people! I am great at making presentations, which is good for the old style demo/show, but am shy 1-1, which is bad for booking and recruiting.

You have been in PC for a couple years and have done well, I assume. So, how do you do it? What is your "disciplined approach?"

I am totally an introvert. I am one of those people who loves to observe and in many situations am totally happy just doing that and not talking. However, I now can say that I "used to" be shy. I was very shy and deciding to give PC a try was truly a personal challenge I took upon myself. That's exactly how I looked at it too. Now, people don't believe me that I was shy, but I've become more of a people person, but am naturally not that way. In terms of PC it definitely gets easier. I've found myself striking up more conversations with strangers much more than before (of course being able to make a plug for my business helps too!).

So in terms of personalities, I think we're probably all over the board. I even heard that David Meenan was shy too!!! Imagine that.

I'm very much an extrovert...throw me into a crowd of strangers and I'll find someone to be great friends with! Give me an extra five minutes and I might even find a few more. My husband always laughs when we go out shopping, because inevitably I'll find someone to chat with. :) I don't think that contributes to my "success" as much though, since I really believe that having a plan and working your business is really where it's at. I think if you can find a way to work PC into a conversation, it's just as easy to talk about it with someone if you're outgoing OR shy...it's just a matter of getting the door open for the conversation.
Good luck with your business! :)

I wouldn't consider myself shy, and I don't think others would either. I'm questioning more the side of energy level. I'm not a high-energy person that goes, goes, goes. Becoming a director has some appeal to me, but I'm not sure that I'm suited for that. :confused:

Aha...thanks for explaining energy level, not shy or outgoing! The great thing about PC is that the bar to stay qualified is pretty realistic so you can run your biz the way it suits you.

Why do you associate Director with energy level?

Yes, I guess I do in some ways. Maybe because I have a wonderful director and she has six kids and an amazing energy level.

I guess I'm also concerned not so much about energy level or shyness, but in being a people person. I am NOT a people person and many times it is not easy for me to be with many people. I guess that being a PC consultant goes well with that since we are usually only with a group of people for a few hours at a time! I am drained emotionally when I come home and need to be alone to get recharged. If I have my own cluster, it ups the amount of interaction with others.

Make any sense?

I wouldn't call myself shy, but I don't like being in large crowds. I don't like to stand out or be the center of attention. But I do play well with others :)

Very interesting question, because I have wondered this myself. I am usually catergorized by others as an extrovert.....but by definition, I am an introvert. An Extrovert is someone who gains energy from being with other people, and and Introvert needs to be alone to recharge their energy.
I am a leader - and am never afraid to speak in front of a group, but by choice, I tend to be a loner. I like to be by myself. I NEED to be by myself. (that was the hardest part about getting married - having to share personal space!)
I have a friend who hates being alone for extended periods of time - she just LOVES being with people, and always has people at her house.
She also has a high energy level, and always has a thousand things going at once.
I have a lower energy level, and tend to feel overwhelmed if I have too many irons in the fire.
This friend was also my recruiter. About 9 months after I signed, she quit. She just didn't have the drive to succeed, and felt like having to schedule shows, etc.... took up too much of her social time.So, maybe it doesn't have so much to do with personality as it does determination to succeed and perseverance. When she signed up I thought she would be perfect for this business, because she loves to be with people, and loves to cook. (she has 2 shows a year for me now.) I still think she could do well, but she just doesn't want to.As long as I can have alone time, I am fine when I go out for my shows......and I think I would be fine too with my cluster. I am determined to succeed with my business, because I love the fact that I get to control my schedule. This helps me also to be able to have time by myself!
I think, from reading your posts, that we struggle in the same areas, but I also think that we can make it work!

Last edited:
PC has been an outlet that God has used to GROW ME. At first, I was so nervous to speak in front of people that my voice actually was shaking! Also, interacting with them one on one to help them with their orders and (heaven forbid!) ask them if they are interested in the business or in having a show was EXTREMELY hard for a very long time. I still have to push myself to just speak the words that I have worked so hard to learn.

I will admit, it has been a challenge for me! When I first started, there was NO WAY I wanted to be a Director. To be honest, my director is so awesome that I never felt that I could EVER fill her shoes. It's taken a while, but now I realize that God has in my plans to become a Director, and that me as a director will look very different than my director does.

Just like, as consultants, we all have different "types" of shows (depending on our personalities) there are all different types of directors too! One is not necessarily better than the other...just different!

HTH

I'm not quite sure being successful with PC has anything to do with personality... I think most of the successful ones have a different "attitude" about it. If someone is determined to succeed, they will. If someone isn't, they will find excuses (I'm too shy... I'm not a people person... I'm not a salesperson). The great thing about attitude is that it doesn't have anything to do with your personality... it's a choice you make... either a good attitude about something or a not-so-good one.Just my opinion...

I don't really think of myself as a high-energy person; though my 2 girls keep me pretty busy. Down time is definately important. I think to be successful w/PC, it's all about balancing your biz with your family life. Having set days/times to do your biz things (which I"m not good about!).
I used to be shy also; this business has really helped me with that. I still don't really like being the center of attention for the group; but I love meeting new people & getting to know them.
Rebecca, have you tried the interactive shows? I think that would be great for you.

I have to agree with ChefBecky. I love to be with people, but I must have my alone time.

I can be shy when meeting new people, but lately I just introduce myself and get talking. Its probably something that's grown on me.

rebeccastt said:
Yes, I guess I do in some ways. Maybe because I have a wonderful director and she has six kids and an amazing energy level.

I guess I'm also concerned not so much about energy level or shyness, but in being a people person. I am NOT a people person and many times it is not easy for me to be with many people. I guess that being a PC consultant goes well with that since we are usually only with a group of people for a few hours at a time! I am drained emotionally when I come home and need to be alone to get recharged. If I have my own cluster, it ups the amount of interaction with others.

Make any sense?

Makes total sense! I must be the bipolar, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde type person...I love being around people but I have my limits. Once I get into the groove of a party I am ok, but sometimes I am on and sometimes I am not comfortable with certain people.
When I am home, I rarely have people in. My home is my haven! (well, latley my dump too I need to clean!!!)
There are times that I too shut down emotionally and can not make calls of any kind...not just phone-a-phobia either.
As far as your director goes, try not to look at others and gage anything in your business by others. I have a friend who is patient as the day is long, has 5 children and is a stay at home mom. No offense to SAHMs but I would sooner have gouged my eyes out! I admire you but know I could not be an effective Mom.
As Linda says too, you may develop certain aspects of yourself doing this business.
The most important thing is not to let this hold you back. Find what you like about this business and focus on that. There may be other aspects that may develop all on their own.

I've taken Myers-Briggs tests twice and one time I came out an extrovert, another time an introvert and not on the line either time either.... so I guess it depends? LOL... the other letters matched both times but this one so I guess sometimes I'm an extrovert and other times an introvert. I like meeting new people, learning from them but I do not like making phone calls (I feel like I'm imposing)... growing up I'd be the kid who'd plop down in the sandbox and leave with at least one new friend... yet if I was invited to a party, I'd want to know that I knew at least one person before I'd RSVP... I've gotten better about that. LOL... as for how I work my PC business... I work with my strengths and try not to heighten my flaws... so I do tend to email a lot more than phone calling and so far that's been working well. I have learned to just jump into a new situation and make the best of it. Like I have a show coming up from a catalog booking - never met the woman but I'll make the best of whatever happens at the show.

I think it's more about attitude and determination that just personality.

I subscribe to the "fake it to you make it" approach to life. I am a closet introvert, but push myself to get out there. I purposely put myself into situations where I have to "perform" and just push through the anxiety. Of course, you ask anyone who knows me and they will say different. I'm the peson who walks into a room as if she owns it. I don't let fear stop me. Long ago I learned that most things won't kill you, so I just keep going!

I think your success depends on how much you want it. I stay positive, and really work at "not panicing"

I've been pleasantly surprised at the vast difference in the personality types I've encountered among successful PC consultants and directors.To answer your question, I'm definitely a people person. I talk to everyone, and I tend to draw a crowd. However, from what I've seen, I'm the exception. The most important things are your attitude toward your customers and your willingness to do the work (calls, follow-up, etc) required.

I'm an extrovert at heart. I'm always "on" when I'm in front of a crowd. I'm pretty open and friendly and at times loud.

I say I'm an extrovert at heart because I'm also very shy when I meet new people - I have to let the extrovert take over at every single show!

Thanks for your responses! You all pretty much confirmed what I have been thinking! :)

Reading over this, I like what everyone has offered. Reading Rae's comments made me think...as long as you show people that you care enough about them to respond to them favorably when they have a problem then they see that you care and you are not just out for a sale.

And yes, I have seen countless different personalities be successful in this business. The persistance (not to be confused with pestering) and the patience with your business will make you succeed.

I like to look at David Meehan's success. He is a director, but he has sales that knock your socks off. It shows that he may not be set on promoting all the way to the top. He has been in it long enough and has had contacts galore, but he may not be consentrating on going to the next level. The wonderful thing about this business is that we have the power to make anything we want it to be. Little, medium or large!

Related to Personality and Pampered Chef Success

1. What personality traits are most beneficial for success as a Pampered Chef consultant?

The most beneficial personality traits for success as a Pampered Chef consultant are: outgoing, friendly, organized, self-motivated, and passionate about cooking and helping others. These traits will help you connect with customers, build relationships, and effectively manage your business.

2. Do you need to have a specific personality type to be successful with Pampered Chef?

No, there is no specific personality type required for success with Pampered Chef. We have consultants from all different backgrounds and personalities who have found success with our company. As long as you are passionate about our products and willing to put in the effort, you can achieve success with Pampered Chef.

3. How does Pampered Chef support consultants with different personalities?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of training and support resources to help all consultants succeed, regardless of their personality. We provide training on communication, sales techniques, and business management, which can be tailored to fit different personalities. We also have a strong community of consultants who offer support and advice to each other.

4. Is it important for Pampered Chef consultants to have strong people skills?

Having strong people skills is definitely a plus for success as a Pampered Chef consultant. Our business is built on building relationships with customers and hosting cooking parties, so being able to connect with people and make them feel comfortable is important. However, if you are willing to learn and improve your people skills, you can still be successful with Pampered Chef.

5. Can someone with a more introverted personality be successful with Pampered Chef?

Yes, introverts can absolutely be successful with Pampered Chef. Our business model allows for flexibility and the ability to work at your own pace, which can be appealing for introverts. Additionally, many introverts are great listeners and can use their listening skills to connect with customers and build relationships. We also offer tips and training on how to overcome shyness and effectively communicate with customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BAB@MistletoeFarm
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • AJPratt