• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal - I Finally Am Getting Some Good News!

In summary, John found a great solution to the problem of not being hired due to not having degrees or certifications.
pampered1224
Silver Member
As many of you know I have been out of work since last November! Well, I finally got some info from some of the places I have been applying to. It turns out that right now the average computer job hire is being controlled by HR departments. HR is bent on getting computer people with Associate Degrees and all sorts of certifications. All of which I do not have. I have 23 years of experience but no degrees or certifications. Well, I checked out our states website for schools so I could get my certifications as I can not afford an Associate Degree. I found one about 10 minutes from my home! And the cost is under the $7000 aide limit our state sets!So I can get it paid for even! I also got an appointment with the Job Center person who helps us get that aide! So the aide is still there! I am going back to school and I also found out from the school that as soon as I get my A+ Certification, which should be be the end of the year, means I will increase my chances of being hired by 70%! So my suggestion to anyone looking for work, ASK any one who does not hire you why they did not hire you! It is something we are not told to do but I saw something on Good Morning America that said now more than ever, you need to find out why you did not get a job. This way you can act on it. I did and it is a great feeling to know what I need to do and not just keep guessing!

So happy to hear good news, John!

This is great, John. Asking is so important! I'm glad you did, I know it takes courage. And, lo and behold, you have found a great solution!It's so interesting to me that those certifications and degrees mean so much. I guess it's all the HR people have to go by since employers will say so little about their past employees. But it's so frustrating. I'm great at taking tests, so I have a lot of paper behind me, but it certainly doesn't mean I know more than my office mate who hates that kind of stuff. In fact, he's the one I go to for help.Good luck, and have fun on your adventure! So glad you've found assistance to pay for it!

The last time they hired someone for the job before mine they finally asked us what we would recommend that they should look for. I spoke up and said while a degree is cool they really should look for experience. Just because some kid comes out of college with a signed piece of paper doesn't mean he is going to know what he's doing (hence the last kid that they were replacing!). I don't have a degree in what I do but I had 7 years of experience before I got there and am one of the best at my job.

Thanks everybody! I wanted to post this because I know so many people are so lost right now when it comes to job hunting. I had heard the normal things, over qualified, we want newer, fresher ideas, which is age discrimination but not clearly so that it is a prosecutable statement, then most of the time it was purely silence. That silence was killing me. After hearing that I had the right to ask why, I felt more empowered. I felt I had a direction to go in. Yeah, it would be great to get a job based on my experience but if that is not working, then I NEED to fix that. I need more ammunition when I walk into a business and say to them that I want that job. So if you are looking for a job and you get nothing but silence, take a deep breath and make a call. Find out why so you know if there is something you can do to help yourself out. Some will tell you that it is the way you communicate, go to the local Job Center and take a class. Some will say it is that you are not accredited, go get those classes, there is financial help out there. But without asking why, you will never know what to correct. You need that thing that makes you stand out. Oh and something else, that question, may actually make enough of an impression so that when you make that correction and go back to the employer, they might remember you! I actually talked to someone who did fix their problem, went back to one of the places he was not hired at and got the job because the HR person remembered that he had the "balls" to ask why! She told him that too! She said it was because she liked that he was taking a proactive approach to his life and he did what he needed to do. He did not give up! And that was just the right person for the job! He now makes about $55,000 a year!

Good for you John! Good luck!
My cousin has been with out a job for almost 2 years. He too is in the IT field but he does have a BA and other certifications and unfortunately still cannot find a job. He's currently going for his Masters, hopefully that will help him?????
Good Luck~!

Heather - put a bug in his ear about asking the why. Maybe this is something he never thought to ask either. I mean who knew? I wish him good luck too!

John, I'm so glad to hear this. You're due for good news.As for the certifications and degrees, I used to work in HR/Personnel. Usually the certifications and degrees are a way to whittle down the list. Imagine you have 500 people applying for 1 opening. Now imagine that with one little phrase - "degree required" - you can narrow that list to 50. It isn't a great system, and it certainly doesn't guarantee that you'll get a great employee. It does, however, have the benefit of being easy.

I still do work in HR/Staffing, and up until a few months ago, was hiring all IT folks. While a degree is often desired, at least in my experience, we'd be willing to take experience in lieu of, unless it was specifically required per a contract (I work for a consulting firm on their government side). I remember many years ago working for a company and they were adamant about the mainframe programmers needing degrees. It took a while for me to convince them that MOST of the mainframe programmers they wanted didn't have degrees, but had 20+ years of experience instead. These were people that went to work straight from high school, as punch card operators, etc. and had moved into the programming...and why were we rejecting qualified people???I wish you well with it John!

So good to hear some good news from you, John. I can hear it in your post. I wonder if some HR places are using software to sort the resumes thus needing a certification or degree buzz word in your resume to get it past the automated screening.

Great news John!

Becca_in_MD said:
So good to hear some good news from you, John. I can hear it in your post. I wonder if some HR places are using software to sort the resumes thus needing a certification or degree buzz word in your resume to get it past the automated screening.

What she said...

Congrats John!! I am happy for you.

Great news John!When I've applied for a job in the past, I strongly suspected that the reason I didn't get a job was because based on my experiences, those places would have to pay me top union scale! Never mind that BOTTOM union scale would have been more than I was making! They were a union shop and that was that!I'm glad you can fix your problem simply!

49 years old and I took the Reading, Math and Advanced Math tests to see if I qualify for aide for going to school! I had to laugh! I went in there scared to death. The tests, 3, are in two parts. You do 12 questions for each to determine if you will take the regular, median or advanced test. The tester took my papers, ran them trough the grader - it is one of those fill in the circle tests - came back and said, "It has been quite a while since someone had perfect scores on these", (ALL THREE!!!), and handed me the "ADVANCED" test booklet!!! (CRAP!) I think I did OK and won't know for sure until tomorrow I think. I say OK because who the heck remembers geometry!!! I stunk at it in high school let alone 30 years later. So I know I blew at least 6 of the questions! I was so proud of myself! I have not felt that good in quite a while! Oh and I got another turn down for a job today! But I asked why!!! Guess what the answer was? I do not have a degree or certifications so NOW I REALLY KNOW I AM GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! I also asked if, I had my A+ certification and was working on the N+ and MSA or some such thing, if I would have stood a chance. The guy said I would have been put in the running. Another good question asked! I love being empowered! I am 49 years old and have nothing to loose by asking! Except maybe a job!

John, you just might be smarter than a 5th grader ;)

Dang I sure hope so!! It did give me a headache though!

John, that is such wonderful news! I am so excited for you!

Great news boyfriend! I'm so proud of you.

Well, I got my phone call today from the lady handling my account. I guess I am smarter than a 5th grader!!! In fact, I scored in the 12th grade plus division! Shocked the heck out of me for sure especially after what, 21 years!! Only thing is now I have to wait until next week Tuesday to meet with her! This waiting is killing me! I have been talking to a couple of the "headhunters" I have been working with. As soon as I start classes, I need to let them know! They think they might be able to place me then in an apprenticeship job! Would that be cool or what? Oh and guess what else I learned this week about job hunting. You know the overqualified thing, well, I decided that while applying for jobs that are not computer related? I would leave out those and say I worked as a PC consultant for the last 10 years. It is true! And it sure as heck does not make me over qualified! So we will see where that gets me. I applied to Home Depot, Wal-Mart, hate em but I will take their money if they are offering, Target and even McDonalds that way. Right now a jobs a job so...

I knew you were one smart guy. What great news! BTW, there's nothing wrong with any job that brings in honestly-made money.

I believe that too Rae but when people hiring look at my job record, they think right away, well, he will do this for 10 minutes if he gets an offer to do what he normally does. It really stinks when you can not even get a job opening boxes or flipping burgers. However, yes, if another offer came up, I probably would take it but not by simply walking off a job. I have more respect for anyone who would hire me than to do that. They just go by the norm so...

Great news on your wonderful new prospects, John. :thumbup:

I work in the IT community as well (as a contractor supporting the government). While I do have *some* college, I lack a degree. I also have no certifications. These deficiencies are causing me some problems in my career.

Because of government requirements, I now MUST have certain certifications to be placed on new contracts (i.e. Security+, Network+, Linux certifications, GSLC, Certified Incident Handler, GIAC Security Expert, CISSP, Certified Information Systems Auditor, for instance [not ALL of these certifications are REQUIRED, but I must have at least one of them]). There is no way around this government mandate....if you want to work here, you MUST have the certifications. Despite the 21 years experience that I have in this field - and 18 years experience in the IT/Security domain, my experience doesn't mean squat. But, eh, regulations are regulations. They are just ensuring that the folks that are performing these jobs are as truly qualified as they can be, and technically capable to do their jobs.

I have such a phobia about tests that I have put off obtaining these certifications for as long as I possibly can. I have no more time left to stall. We were given a five year window to accomplish these certifications, and I am at the end of my five years. Surprisingly, I'm ok with this. I've found another job in my company where I will be better matched to what I WANT to do, as well as maximize my skill-set.

Badgirl - good for you! However, I would still go for it. getting any one of those certifications gives you a couple of things I never thought about. Confidence and clarification. It clarifies for you the murky parts of what you do and when that is accomplished, your confidence will grow. This works out in the long run not only in that you can be sure of yourself when making decisions but also when it comes time to grown, financially or in job titles on your job. This is what I know about me. I know what I know but I do not know how to say it. With my schooling and those certifications, I will know that. My confidence in my abilities will grow and I will be able to get a job because i will have the confidence to to convey my knowledge. Yes, I am doing to get a job but more importantly, I am doing it for me. If you look at getting the certs like that, the motivation to do it, should be a greater goal for you. Good luck to you!

UPDATE!!!
I had my meeting today with the lady handling my training application. She was impressed enough to send in the paper work to the state LAST week already! She said I am a shoe in! I will get notified in about two weeks and she is shooting for a December 1 start date. LOVE IT! Now even better and this really has made my day, well, my year! When she got all the papers together for the WIA board, she made an extra copy of my resume and submitted to the state hiring board as well! She said I have enough skills and actually tested in the MANAGEMENT limits of the tests! I was totally shocked! She said to look in my mailbox for state departments that may be hiring and that is how I am getting the offers! TO COOL!!!!
Praise God there is a light!!!! And thank you all for your words of encouragement!!! It means so much to me!

John - I am so happy for you!

My director always says to me: Do the right things for the right reasons, and eventually the right things will happen. I think everything is coming together for you now! Who knows - this may be the job/opportunity you've always wanted. Good coming from a seemingly bad situation - but really, it's been all about your attitude and perseverance. YEA for YOU!

:love:John, way to go. I am so happy for you!! I have faith that things always work themselves out in the end, and am doing a little happy dance for you

Way to go John...

That's wonderful news!

Love it, John!!! Keep the good news coming!!!!

I have to thank Carolyn K. She reminded me that I AM a tough cookie and not some weak little wuss! I coward in the face of everything that was seemingly kicking me further down and got lost in it. When she reminded someone else about attitude, I remembered I used to have one and decided I needed to kick back. I have way more going for me. Thanks to Cassundra at the Job center, I was reminded of that today. It is amazing how quickly I lost faith in myself. If anyone is in this predicament, please, please, please, go talk to someone. Anyone who can give you a kind word. Now I understand why so many people volunteer while collecting UI. They get the pat on the back they need and well, crave and literally SURVIVE on. Yes, we, those of us defined not by our selves but rather by everything we do, survive on it. Those kind words of appreciation make us feel good and worth something. It can keep us from going down that dark road to self doubt, major self loathing and really bad confusion. the brain in a blender thing I spoke of once out here. I was getting mad at myself because I really believed it was me there was something wrong with all this time. (Well, there are a few things but I do not think they had anything to do with not getting a job!) I found out from Cassundra that about 65 to 75% of all unemployed people who have been looking for a job and not finding one, think they are the problem. They have no idea after many years of working with the same employer that hiring has changed. I used to get interviewed by department managers, 10 years ago was my last interview, then HR. Now I get interviewed by HR people and can not get passed them to the people who matter. To the people who understand that experience without paper is NOT a problem but an asset. To HR people, who have these unrealistic ideas that, experience does not count. For every interview I called back to about why I did not get a job, it was an HR person I had to ask and the answer was the same all the way around. No paper. 25 of them! not one or two but 25! I had head hunters call me from my Monster post and they would ask me if I had an A+ certification at least. When I said no but I have 24 years of experience in networking, programming, and such, it did not matter. Please to anyone else out here, do not go down that road and think it is you! If you have done a good job all these years and find yourself without a job and wondering what is wrong with you, STOP IT! Get to your local Job Center or whatever they call it by you and start asking questions. Resumes, interviewing, job hunting career building classes anything to make you know it is not you, is what they can offer! I was not told about any of this when I got laid off! SUCKS!!!! I had to wait 10 months to find out. Then when I did, I decided not to sit and wait for the doom to hit! I did something about it. Save yourself a ton of worry and use this thread as a learning guide to where to go for help! PM me to ask me questions if you need support! I will gladly help. Love you guys and I really mean that!

John, praise God indeed that things are working out for you!Let me tell you a little story about when I graduated from college ... I lost my 1st job and could not find another one in the area to save my life! Imagine that your skill was working for a Widget Factory, and that there is only one Widget Factory in a large town .... and one per county for smaller communities! So when you're committed to staying in an area ... the job prospects are slimmer. And this was the recession of 92, that ushered Clinton into office.So I was determined to go to work at restaurants, since this at least paid the credit card bills during college. I was deemed "overqualified" by every place I applied. Finally got a job, but "office politics" kept me to one day per week. Finally got a job at another restaurant that was full-time after explaining to said interviewer that the economy had tanked and I had been job hunting for SIX MONTHS. It was another six months until I "bloomed where I was planted." I contacted a weekly paper that I'd done an internship for in college. A month later, they were hiring. So I would work a restaurant by day, a newspaper by night. This kept up for quite some time until said weekly sold to the publishing company that employs me to this day. All in all, it was a process of more than two years between the time I lost my job and the time I landed back on my feet, nearly three by the time I transferred from the weekly to the daily. I have no advice for anyone considering a career in my field (other than "change your major") but I thank God that He has led you to a growing career field that will bless you.

Intrepid - that is a very good message. Your message of persistence and perseverance is exactly what needs to be said. I was about to give up. I decided I did have a job though and that was to keep applying for jobs and finding out how to fix the problem of not having one. I too know that schooling will take some time and that well, I may have a bit of a struggle afterward. I too have gotten the overqualified thing and absolutely believe that is so unfair! In Milwaukee, every one with a job gripes because those people sit on their butts and like being out of work with state funded support. NO WE DON'T! But how the heck do you work when everyone thinks you are going to fly to coup the minute something else comes along and deem you not worth the training time?! I could not even get hired for the seasonal work I applied for. It is a vicious circle. You work your butt off applying for all sorts of jobs because you do not want to be out of work but the employers who are griping because they can't hire people for low paying jobs won't hire you because you are over qualified. Either shut up and hire me or stop complaining about the fact that I am getting free money, which I worked 33 years to earn the right to, to stop that! So... But yes, Itrepid, persistence is the key!

Well it is official. I got the grant and I signed the registration papers yesterday! I start on November 30th and Jeff, the counselor at the school, said I would probably be done with the first class, a basics class, before Christmas and that I would go on to the A+ training. He thinks, from what he has gotten from me, that I should be done by the end of January at the latest and should be able to take the A+ Certification test shortly there after. I can officially change my resume at that point. Whew! Thanks everyone for the votes of confidence and the nudges!

This is great news for you, I'm so happy that things are going in the right direction!!

I got a little help from my friends, (out here more so than anywhere else), I got high with a little help from my friends, (out here again - you all made me feel like I could do anything if I wanted it and that was such a high knowing people believed in me when I did not), I got by with a little help from my friends, (when I was down you all lifted my spirits!). I think the Beetles had something very profound to say about friends in a very simplistic way. Friends, even if you never have any personal contact with them, care enough to tell you things will be OK or will give you crap you do not want to hear in a means to help. (We all need to listen to the negative things about us that we really do not want to hear sometimes), but I am SO GLAD CHEF SUCCESS EXISTS AND ALL OF YOU ARE A PART OF IT - THANK YOU SO MUCH AND HUGE HUGS TO EVERYONE WHO KEPT ME GOING!!!!!

Yeay John! :)

1. Can you tell me more about the current job market for computer professionals?

The job market for computer professionals is currently being controlled by HR departments. They are looking for candidates with Associate Degrees and certifications, making it difficult for those without these qualifications to secure employment.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting hired?

One way to increase your chances of being hired is by obtaining certifications. According to recent reports, having certifications can increase your chances of being hired by up to 70%.

3. Is it necessary to have an Associate Degree in order to get hired?

While having an Associate Degree can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many employers also value hands-on experience and certifications.

4. How can I afford to get certifications if I am currently unemployed?

You may be eligible for financial aid or assistance through your state government or local job center. It is worth researching and exploring these options to help cover the cost of certifications.

5. Is it important to ask for feedback if I am not hired for a job?

Yes, it is crucial to ask for feedback from employers if you are not hired for a job. This will give you valuable insight into what you can improve on and help you take the necessary steps to increase your chances of getting hired in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
heat123
  • ChefJWarren
  • General Chat
Replies