• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Part-Time Job Opportunities at UPS: Insights from Current and Former Employees

In summary, Heather is looking for a part time job to stay home with her toddler and work on her computer more. She applied for a package handling position with UPS, but is worried about the physical demands of the job. She also mentioned that she faced discrimination from the male employees. Overall, UPS is a good company with good benefits, but the job can be hard on the body.
PCwithStay-C
Hi everyone
I am moving at the end of the month and was looking into possible part time jobs so I can stay home with my DD and work PC more. I just applied for a part time position with UPS and wondered if anyone here had worked for them in the past, or does now? Are they a good company to work for? Any bad things I should know bout!?!?!?

My Hubby worked for them, he liked it, it is in senority when promotions are given, but he liked it. Benifts are great! What are you going to do there?

Thats cool about the promotions. I am just looking for something to 1) replace my current income and 2) get us benefits so that hubby can quit his job up here sooner and move down with us.
I applied for a package handling position. Its only 5hrs a day (4am-9am or 5pm-10pm) but sounds like alot of heavy lifting (all that carting my tote around to shows is gonna help me out there :p ) So, well see :)
Thanks for the response :D

No prob! And only thing about the package handler, is its HARD work!! He would come home exhausted!! Its mostly loading and unloading the trucks and trailers. oh and if its the morning shift, its about 4 or 5 till 9 or so, christmas you have to get there at 2 or 3.. night is 5 to 9 or later, depending ...

HTH, Sorry if i gave too much info! GOOD LUCK!

I worked for UPS at their main hub in Louisville for 2 years. Depending on where you work, it can be very hard on your body physically. The hub is not heated or cooled. In the winter I wore at least 5 layers...until I bought ski bibs then went to 3 layers. Going to the restroom took 15 minutes! Summer I was soaked to the skin within 10 minutes of walking out of the office. I started as an administrative assistant. Did the paperwork for the package containers that went on the planes. No lifting involved just dealing with the temperature and stress of getting packages out on time. The planes HAVE to leave on time so there is alot of screaming if something slows them down.

I became a supervisor after a year. I didn't like the way that supervisers talked to some employees and wanted to make a difference...turned out to be a lofty goal given the supervisors above me. Did have to pitch in and load boxes when needed (I'm 4'11" so lifting boxes was hard at times...just trying to get your arms around them! They do try to scare you by asking if you can lift a 100 pound package....which I found out later was a stupid question, you aren't allow to lift the heavy stuff by yourself! Someone is always willing to help you lift something or pull off your packages if you are getting slammed.) I LOVED the people that I met. I was the oldest one in my area (31)...most were college age kids. We had alot of fun.

That said.....UPS is run by alot of "good ole boys". I faced ALOT of discrimination from men there. Mainly from the package handlers. They did not like taking orders from a small, white girl. Who was I to tell them what to do? UPS pays very good, great benefits. (I was NOT part of the union (package handlers, tug drivers, etc. They do pay the package handlers well, not sure about benefits.)

Seniority is a BIG thing at UPS. Just starting...you will be low man on the totem pole. You will be given alot of the crappy jobs, pulled from one area to another, sent home early if they have a low night.

I am a night person so working 11 pm to 5 am was fun for a while. I quit after my dad had a stroke. I realized that life was too short to be doing something that you no longer enjoy. I had started to get sick ALOT due to the odd sleep hours and wild temperature changes. Didn't like my son being in daycare so I could sleep. I quit and two months later found PC!!

Sorry this sounds so negative. There are alot of pros and cons to working at UPS. I wanted to give you some of both sides so you aren't blinded by the promise of great pay. :)

feather18 said:
HTH, Sorry if i gave too much info! GOOD LUCK!

Oops...Heather, if YOU gave too much information, I hate to think what I just did!!

I forgot about mentioning the Christmas rush. We worked lots of extra MANDATORY hours. Even had to do two Sundays, which didn't go over well at my house since my husband is a minister!

Ill be back to read properly when I get home tonite, but thank you for your input :)

No Prob! And Georgia Great advice!! Any info is never too long!

My friend's husband works for their sales division...and he says they hire based on referrals. It may be kind of hard to get in.

TwinGirlsMom said:
My friend's husband works for their sales division...and he says they hire based on referrals. It may be kind of hard to get in.

The "good" jobs (inside, no hard labor) are harder to get. The package handler jobs are a dime a dozen. Very easy to get because turn over is so great.

GeorgiaPeach said:
I worked for UPS at their main hub in Louisville for 2 years. Depending on where you work, it can be very hard on your body physically. The hub is not heated or cooled. In the winter I wore at least 5 layers...until I bought ski bibs then went to 3 layers. Going to the restroom took 15 minutes! Summer I was soaked to the skin within 10 minutes of walking out of the office. I started as an administrative assistant. Did the paperwork for the package containers that went on the planes. No lifting involved just dealing with the temperature and stress of getting packages out on time. The planes HAVE to leave on time so there is alot of screaming if something slows them down.

I became a supervisor after a year. I didn't like the way that supervisers talked to some employees and wanted to make a difference...turned out to be a lofty goal given the supervisors above me. Did have to pitch in and load boxes when needed (I'm 4'11" so lifting boxes was hard at times...just trying to get your arms around them! They do try to scare you by asking if you can lift a 100 pound package....which I found out later was a stupid question, you aren't allow to lift the heavy stuff by yourself! Someone is always willing to help you lift something or pull off your packages if you are getting slammed.) I LOVED the people that I met. I was the oldest one in my area (31)...most were college age kids. We had alot of fun.

That said.....UPS is run by alot of "good ole boys". I faced ALOT of discrimination from men there. Mainly from the package handlers. They did not like taking orders from a small, white girl. Who was I to tell them what to do? UPS pays very good, great benefits. (I was NOT part of the union (package handlers, tug drivers, etc. They do pay the package handlers well, not sure about benefits.)

Seniority is a BIG thing at UPS. Just starting...you will be low man on the totem pole. You will be given alot of the crappy jobs, pulled from one area to another, sent home early if they have a low night.

I am a night person so working 11 pm to 5 am was fun for a while. I quit after my dad had a stroke. I realized that life was too short to be doing something that you no longer enjoy. I had started to get sick ALOT due to the odd sleep hours and wild temperature changes. Didn't like my son being in daycare so I could sleep. I quit and two months later found PC!!

Sorry this sounds so negative. There are alot of pros and cons to working at UPS. I wanted to give you some of both sides so you aren't blinded by the promise of great pay. :)

Thanks GeorgiaPeach :) Not too much info :)
After reading I dont know if I will pursue this job. I have a problem with guys acting like...well guys I guess!! I would probably end up quitting after a day :p It was in FL that I applied, so not sure how the warehouses would be?
Plus the time I put as my prefered hours was the mornings and Im a total night owl, but prefer to be with my daughter in the afternoons (shes so much more pleasant in the afternoons :p) And I would definately be losing out on sleep, which makes me even crankier :grumpy: :mad: than usual :rolleyes:
And I didnt even think of Christmas time!!! :eek: were coming right up on that, bet theyre really looking to hire right now!!!

Thanks again for your opinions. Sorry to take so long to get in here and finally read this!! Im a little slow this past week!! :)

Related to Part-Time Job Opportunities at UPS: Insights from Current and Former Employees

1. What does Ups stand for?

Ups stands for United Parcel Service.

2. What kind of jobs are available at Ups?

Ups offers a variety of job opportunities, including package handlers, delivery drivers, customer service representatives, and management positions.

3. Does Ups offer benefits for employees?

Yes, Ups offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees, including health insurance, retirement plans, and employee discounts.

4. What is the work culture like at Ups?

Ups prides itself on having a positive and inclusive work culture. The company values teamwork, diversity, and excellence in customer service.

5. Is there room for advancement at Ups?

Yes, Ups offers opportunities for career growth and development. Employees can apply for internal job postings and receive training and support to advance within the company.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • ShelbyMichalek