• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Challenges to Host a Successful Party

yet, where the guests have to find things in the house that match the theme of the party. For example, if the party is for a princess party, they might find things like crowns, ball gowns, etc. If the party is for a beach party, they might find seashells, shells, umbrellas, etc.
beepampered
What do you say to the guest who says the following for not wanting to book a show.

"I would love to have a party but everytime I do no one shows up. I had a SLAH party and two people showed up. I had a Creative Memories show and two people showed up. I just have no luck getting people to come to my house."

I'm thinking "well you didn't invite enough people and you probably didn't follow up." I can't really say that and so just let them go. I get the feeling that they WANT to have a party but genuinely have not had good response in the past. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'd go into it this way:

"I know how you feel! I am my own worst hostess! I have learned the following:

* Invite AT LEAST 40 people. I know you're thinking: How do I fit that many in my house? The truth is, of that 40, you can expect about 10 guests. And many of those who aren't able to come will still place an order.

* Follow up with phone calls. Do you know that when I've had a party in the past, the only ones who end up coming are the ones who get a phone call to remind them? Would you like me to help you with the phone follow-up?"

If you approach it as in, "I've had the same problem, this is how I overcame it" they will know they can do it too!

I would try what the pervious post said....I know from experience where she is coming from....I invite a billion people to party's and I even have them in their town (I moved when I got married) and still no one shows! It is very dishearting. My 1st personal PC show (before I signed obviously) I invited atleast 30 people I had 10 deffinates from the day before and the MORNING!! I only had 2 people show...my mom and my preachers wife....my friends bailed on me...still to this day they will tango around why (oh well) but I had $400 in outside orders so I came out ok but I felt so sorry for the girl doing it and for the $$$ I wasted on the food.

**If I was you I would ask where she live's...it's its on the outskirts of town that could be her problem...suggest to move it to a more central location or even better a friend/relatives house cause then she will know she will atleast have them attend and more than likely they will to invite guest to come**
**I would also suggest to her if she isn't confident with people attending to just host a catty/cooking show and you will give her and whoever (if anyone) that does come that day a "private" cooking lesson.**

Hope this helps and sorry for being so chatty, it's late and I'm a little slap happy LOL....Let us know the outcome! Good Luck

Tell her that you will give a free gift to everyone who brings a friend! Also, you could suggest doing a co-ed party which could also boost attendance. If she's a mother of young children, you could also offer to do a playdate party and have someone there to watch over all the children while the mothers get to shop! Explain to her that you have so many great ideas, so book a show and you'll follow up with her in a couple days to discuss how best to do a show to suit her best and get great attendance!

I use the same excuse whenever a consultant for another company asks if I want to have a party. It's true in my case - I have very few people other than family and PC clustermates who I can invite, and they just don't come. Of course, I rarely want to have a party with another company, so for me it's a convenient excuse.But if you get the feeling that she really does want to host, you can let her know that you have some tools to help her boost her attendance. And then you can:
  • give her the 40 guests in 4 minutes worksheet to help her think of more names.
  • mail her invitations for her - sometimes people don't send many because they don't want to pay the postage.
  • put a sticker or star on 5 of the invitations, and challenge her to find which people had those invites when she does reminder calls. Offer her a small gift if she finds all of them (don't tell her how many there are because if she happens to call those 5 first, then she'll stop).
  • add a line to the invites about "bring a friend and get a gift."
  • address the invites to "Jenny Guest and friend."
  • Play a game, but don't put it on the invites. Have the host make reminder calls and tell everyone to bring their worst scraper. The person with the nastiest one will win a new one.
  • Set her up on PWS, so she can send email invites. (These often get filtered as spam, though, so I recommend sending one to the host that she can forward as regular email to her friends.)
  • Offer her an incentive for having 5 or more outside orders (or $150 in outside orders) before you get to the show.

I tell them all of the above things too...those are very good reminders!

*I* am one of those hosts. I have invited 40+, done reminder calls, invited personally, etc. and STILL if I have a show there are about 3-4 in attendance. Nowadays if I have a host tell me ADAMANTLY that they suck getting people there, I believe her. I try to give her ideas on how to change it, but there are just some people who get the short end of the stick every time. (Can you tell I have some residual hurt feelings?!!)

I have a friend like that... insists NO ONE will show up, says she's had other parties and NO ONE showed up... I gave her all the pep talks and what not and finally blessed and released. I think she'd personally put to much bad-energy into it it WOULD be a bad show... I think they call that a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not everyone's going to be good host material and as much as we can talk some folks into doing it (and we should try absolutely) there will be an occasional person that simply... wouldn't work it.

I had a Party recently and I asked everyone. They were all a NO. Some were a NO WAY I DO NOT know enough people and I can nNever get anyone to come!

They were all so adamant I kind of got that Deer in the headlights look.... So I just said OK.... I understand how you feel. If There is ever anything you want I would be happy to help. I have ideas and tips for you if you ever change your mind.

When people ask that question, sometimes I respond with "Oh, have you ever had a Pampered Chef party, though?" In my own experience (which isn't vast!) the only shows I have ever had where I had good attendance have been PC shows ~ and I often have hosts who tell me the same thing. I just had a show with a host who had a $350 show. Not big, but for her is was so exciting - she told me it was the best home party she had ever had - and she got 3 bookings!

So, I'll often tell people that even if they've never had a good turnout in the past, if they follow my instructions, and allow me to help them, that I can assure that they will have a great PC show!

ChefBeckyD said:
When people ask that question, sometimes I respond with "Oh, have you ever had a Pampered Chef party, though?" In my own experience (which isn't vast!) the only shows I have ever had where I had good attendance have been PC shows ~ and I often have hosts who tell me the same thing. I just had a show with a host who had a $350 show. Not big, but for her is was so exciting - she told me it was the best home party she had ever had - and she got 3 bookings!

So, I'll often tell people that even if they've never had a good turnout in the past, if they follow my instructions, and allow me to help them, that I can assure that they will have a great PC show!
That's the same response I give and get. Usually, people say it's the only show they will attend, too.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm a bit cautious to say that they'll have better attendance with Pampered Chef because what if they don't? It seems to be women on the quiet side who don't want to be pushy. They probably only invite 18 people so of course no one shows up but how can I politely say that and get her to host?

I have just been letting it go and not trying to "talk her into it" but feel as if I'm missing an opportunity.....

Coach potential hosts how to call friends with excitement. I always tell my hosts to call everyone who doesn't RSVP because people forget. They set the postcard aside and it gets covered by other things to do. I tell the host that when I've been invited to something, I always appreciate reminder calls because it saves me a phone call.

Another thing I've done is told one host to say "Hey, I'm having a Pampered Chef party on this date. I'll send you an invitation." This rather than saying, "I'm thinking about having a PC show. Do you think you'd want to come?"

Tell the host that as a consultant you will put an RSVP by date on the invites and offer a gift to those who RSVP on time. Or if you don't send out the invites, tell the host to write it on there. "RSVP by (date) and receive a free gift!" I give a recipe card.

Let your hesitant hosts know that you'll help them with these and other tips because you have experience, too. Be positive about how you'll help. Do what Beth said in the "Rude/Pushy" thread, and ask the potential host if she/he wants to know how you can help them have a great show.

Last edited:
I had one today who said she didn't know many people because she only moved here recently. I asked her how recently and she said last April. So, I said "so you've been here for about a year, right?" Then she said that she only knew people at her work and I said (gently) "that's great! It's not about who you know, they know people, too. And, I'll work with you to offer them gifts for bringing people you don't know, how does that sound?" She was very responsive to that. Sometimes you have to ask questions and "sit on your hands" until they answer them and you can offer suggestions.

What are some common challenges that hosts face when trying to plan a successful party?

Some common challenges that hosts face include finding a convenient date and time for all guests, deciding on a menu that will accommodate dietary restrictions, and managing the budget for the party.

How can I overcome the challenge of finding a convenient date and time for all guests?

One solution is to send out invitations well in advance to allow guests to plan their schedules accordingly. You can also consider using a scheduling app or website to find a date and time that works for the majority of guests.

What are some tips for accommodating dietary restrictions when planning a party menu?

It's important to ask guests in advance if they have any dietary restrictions or allergies. You can also offer a variety of options such as vegetarian or gluten-free dishes to accommodate different needs.

How can I stick to my budget when planning a party?

One way to stick to your budget is to plan a potluck where guests can bring their own dishes to share. You can also set a budget for decorations and stick to it by getting creative with DIY decor or using items you already have at home.

What are some ways to make the party planning process easier and less stressful?

One helpful tip is to delegate tasks to friends or family members who are willing to help. You can also simplify the menu by choosing easy-to-prepare dishes or using pre-made items from the store. Don't be afraid to ask for help or suggestions from others!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kevin Ranoldo
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • hlynn424
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76