• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Tonight's Blue Moon on New Year's Eve a Rare Occurrence?

In summary, tonight is New Year's Eve and also a Blue Moon, which is the second full moon in a calendar month. Blue Moons occur every 2-1/2 years and are quite rare on New Year's Eve, with the last one occurring in 1990 and the next one not until 2028. They are also associated with the phrase "once in a blue moon," and some people enjoy howling at the moon on these occasions. Blue Moons are also known for their brightness and are often compared to the popular beer Blue Moon Belgian White.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Tonight is not only New Year's Eve, it is also a full moon tonight, in fact, it's a Blue Moon.

Huh?

Never seen the moon turn blue? You're right, you haven't seen it blue but you have seen a Blue Moon whether you know it or not. A Blue Moon is the second full moon in a calendar month.

A full moon occurs every 29.5 days, which means there are usually 12 full moons per year. About every 2-1/2 years, an extra full moon falls within a calendar month — a Blue Moon. Our last Blue Moon was in May 2007.

A Blue Moon on New Year's is quite rare, occurring every 19 years. The last time was in 1990; the next one won't come again until 2028.

So if you're howling at the moon tonight, you have an excuse, especially if you only howl once in a Blue Moon.

Very interesting. I, in fact learned something. Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Cool...very cool....I remember the last blue moon and one of my children asking when would be the next one.......I have to call my mom and remind her that as children she used to say "only in a blue moon" when one of us six kids wanted something that was totally out of the realm of possibility. Thanks, KG

YW, with all the junque I post, it's good to know that I'm able to come up with something good once in a blue moon.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/64/Blue-moon-bottle.png/100px-Blue-moon-bottle.png

I was explaining to our that tonight would be a blue moon.

Mmm, I love Blue Moon Belgian White ale, with the orange slice of course! I'll have to go tell the kids - they'll definitely want to howl at this blue moon tonight! :) (Oh, and thanks a lot, now I have that song in my head!!) ;)

It was beautiful last night - cold - but clear and crisp. The Blue Moon was so bright that we could have been driving without headlights. We sha'n't see the likes of that again for another 19 years. (Or at least, until tonight when the moon won't be completely full but still awfully bright.)

1. What is the significance of the "Rare Blue Moon" on New Year's Eve?

The "Rare Blue Moon" on New Year's Eve refers to the second full moon in a calendar month, which is a rare event that happens approximately once every two to three years. This year, the Blue Moon falls on New Year's Eve, making it an even more special and unique occurrence.

2. Is the Blue Moon actually blue in color?

No, the Blue Moon is not actually blue in color. The term "Blue Moon" is a colloquial phrase and the moon will appear to be its usual color on New Year's Eve.

3. Can I see the Blue Moon from anywhere in the world?

Yes, the Blue Moon can be seen from anywhere in the world as long as the sky is clear and there is no obstruction blocking the view.

4. What time will the Blue Moon appear on New Year's Eve?

The exact time of the Blue Moon's appearance may vary based on your location, but it will generally be visible in the evening and throughout the night on New Year's Eve.

5. How can I make the most of this rare event on New Year's Eve?

To make the most of the Rare Blue Moon on New Year's Eve, consider planning a special outdoor activity such as a moonlit hike or picnic. You can also capture the moment by taking photos or creating a time-lapse video of the moon's progression throughout the night.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Kearns
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefbritt
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
  • schel