• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding the Increase in Shipping Costs for Non-Contiguous States

In summary, there has been an increase in shipping costs for orders being sent outside of the US. This has affected areas such as Guam, Alaska, Hawaii, AA, AP, AE, and others, regardless of the shipping method. The surcharges for these areas vary, with Guam having a $2 surcharge and APOs having a $5 surcharge per order. This change was not communicated to customers by HO, causing frustration and disappointment among some customers. Some customers feel that this change is discriminatory towards military families living overseas. Some consultants have tried to explain the reasoning behind the change, citing the company's losses in shipping costs. However, it is still a concern for some customers and they are encouraged to contact HO to express
kitchencop
Silver Member
Did anyone receive information on the increase in the cost for shipping outside the US? We on Guam can recieve both UPS and FedEx, yet we still have to get ours USPS. Now there is an increase. WHY? :mad:

Alaska, Hawaii, AA, AP, AE, Guam, etc....all increased regardless of shipping method! I can tell you for sure that we (APO's)get ours USPS, yet AK and HI get 2nd day air from FedEx. Ours is sent USPS from IL to NY(CA) and we are paying direct shipping rates +$5 regardless of the size of the order!!!

Yep, and actually we've discussed it a couple times already. But I do believe Guam only has a $2 surcharge. Us APOs have a $5 surcharge per order! And to my knowledge, HO never send anything out about the change, they just changed it.

Last edited:
As I posted on another thread....I had to explain to a customer that her purchase of $8.75 for the bread knife has a shipping charge of $11.00:mad: :eek: :eek: :mad:

Have they said why they did this? I have good friends who are out of the states that love PC. I am sure this is really going to turn them off.

We are stationed in England and I have already had several customers state that they will never order from Pampered Chef again b/c of the shipping prices. It is sad b/c one person even stated that she felt they were discriminating against military families b/c we have to live overseas...They felt Pampered Chef should be more supportive of military families.

michellefedi said:
We are stationed in England and I have already had several customers state that they will never order from Pampered Chef again b/c of the shipping prices. It is sad b/c one person even stated that she felt they were discriminating against military families b/c we have to live overseas...They felt Pampered Chef should be more supportive of military families.

Tell them to contact HO!

And also point out that they would be paying sales tax if they were in the states! ;)

Wow!! That's pretty rough to hear!! The only thing I can think to say is that most DS companies won't even ship to us at all!! We can't order from lots of places, like bestbuy.com, so she shouldn't think that PC isn't supportive. I do see where she is coming from though!!

I think customers should be calling HO to tell them how they feel!! I know HO listens to us, but in this case they haven't yet. Maybe hearing from customers directly will start to change their minds??

I was pretty upset about it at first, as well. But as I started to think about it, it does make sense. They really have no way to track stuff once it leaves NY to come here. So, if things get lost or whatever, they are just out. With the extra $5 it covers it a bit more. That is basically how I've put it to customers and I haven't had anyone who really had major problems with it.

I was actually on a HO call right before they changed the rates. They wanted to explain it to some of the Directors and FD so they could pass it on to their downline. They were also answering our questions as we had MANY!!

The reason they have finally changed it is because for the past 2 years they finally started surveying all orders being shipped to all the overseas places. They were seeing how much was being shipped cost wise and what they were paying. I can't remember exact numbers but they were losing $10,000+ in shipping costs for Hawaii alone.

I know it really stinks, but we can't do anything about it and it is very understandable. I really hope we won't lose too many customers, but they still are paying less than many other DS companies.

I've had one or two people get 'bent' over the $5 surcharge, but most customers understand it when I explain our Fed-Ex S&H is more based on volume and USPS is based on weight. (And we all KNOW how much it really costs to send stuff priority mail.)

I do wish the company would share their 'stats' regarding the amount of money lost due to shipping overseas. It would help to have that info handy at shows.

I've attached a copy of the outside order form I use since it addresses the new surcharge.

Attachments

• APO Outside Order Form.doc
    246 KB · Views: 322
legacypc46 said:
I've had one or two people get 'bent' over the $5 surcharge, but most customers understand it when I explain our Fed-Ex S&H is more based on volume and USPS is based on weight. (And we all KNOW how much it really costs to send stuff priority mail.)

I do wish the company would share their 'stats' regarding the amount of money lost due to shipping overseas. It would help to have that info handy at shows.

I've attached a copy of the outside order form I use since it addresses the new surcharge.

Oh Kris, that is PERFECT! I'm gonna steal your "blurb." You put it much more eloquently than me!

1. What are Non-Contiguous States?

Non-Contiguous States refer to the states in the United States that are not physically connected to the rest of the country. This includes Alaska, Hawaii, and any other small islands or territories under US control.

2. Why are they called Non-Contiguous States?

These states are called Non-Contiguous because they are not connected to the continental United States by land. They are separated by oceans, making them physically disconnected from the rest of the country.

3. How did these states become part of the US?

Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867, while Hawaii was annexed by the US in 1898. Some other territories, such as Puerto Rico and Guam, became part of the US through various treaties and agreements.

4. Are there any differences in laws or regulations for these states?

Yes, there may be some differences in laws and regulations for these states compared to the rest of the country. For example, Alaska has different hunting and fishing regulations, and Hawaii has unique agricultural laws due to its isolated location.

5. Do these states have the same rights and representation as the rest of the country?

Yes, these states have the same rights and representation as the rest of the country. They have equal representation in Congress and their residents are US citizens with the same rights and responsibilities as those living in the contiguous states.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lisasfuncooking
  • janetupnorth
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
PamperedChefDebi
  • hoosierchef