• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Newbie Here! One of My Customers Has the Following

In summary, a customer is seeking advice on using their new large round stone after accidentally cooking a frozen pizza on it without seasoning it first. The conversation includes suggestions for seasoning the stone with a mixture of Crisco and salt, as well as caution about the mixture running off on flat stones and the potential for oil to soak into the stone and cause damage. The effectiveness of this method on both stoneware and cast iron is also discussed. The question of whether or not this method is recommended by the company is raised, but remains unanswered.
Lifeat50
Newbie here!

One of my customers has the following questions....

"I thought I sealed my new large round stone but I cooked frozen pizza on it last night and it stuck pretty good. I cleaned it off the best I could and then sealed it. Will it be ok?"

Please help me out!!!:chef:

Re: StonesSeasoning is a long process...

look thru the files here... there are some good info sheets on stoneware.

Re: StonesSealed it... What does she exactly mean, I would ask her that and then like Paulette said make sure to talk to her about seasoning her stoneware.

Re: StonesHere is the seasoning recipe another Cheffer here gave us (below)

(wonder how she "sealed" it after she cleaned off the pizza)

I recently seasoned several pieces for a good customer. It works really well. I share the recipe with people purchasing stoneware at my shows.

You’ll need:
1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 cup salt

Mix Crisco and salt. Spread over surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware. (This is enough to do the Stoneware Fluted Pan. You may have mixture left over.)

Bake in a 250 degree oven 30 minutes. (You can put a piece of foil on the rack below the one your stoneware is on.) Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around, making some attempt to contact every part of the surface. The salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little.

Pop it back in the oven. Leave it for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, and leave the stoneware in overnight. This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone. (Bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it out, let it cool, and rinse it off.) The next morning, rinse/scrape under hot water and tada! Nonstick stoneware! It works wonders for new stones.

Why does it work? The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones.

Interesting note: This works well on cast iron, too.

Re: Stones
wadesgirl said:
Sealed it... What does she exactly mean, I would ask her that and then like Paulette said make sure to talk to her about seasoning her stoneware.

I wondered about this too... Definetly find out what she did!

I recently seasoned several pieces for a good customer. It works really well. I share the recipe with people purchasing stoneware at my shows.

You’ll need:
1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 cup salt

Mix Crisco and salt. Spread over surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware. (This is enough to do the Stoneware Fluted Pan. You may have mixture left over.)

Bake in a 250 degree oven 30 minutes. (You can put a piece of foil on the rack below the one your stoneware is on.) Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around, making some attempt to contact every part of the surface. The salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little.

Pop it back in the oven. Leave it for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, and leave the stoneware in overnight. This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone. (Bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it out, let it cool, and rinse it off.) The next morning, rinse/scrape under hot water and tada! Nonstick stoneware! It works wonders for new stones.

Why does it work? The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones.

Interesting note: This works well on cast iron, too.

Does anyone know what HO says about this? I mean, it doesn't seem like they'd have anything against it, but I am curious...

NooraK said:
Does anyone know what HO says about this? I mean, it doesn't seem like they'd have anything against it, but I am curious...

Do you mean as far as do they recommend this? I'm not sure.

Re: StonesYou have to be careful with that on flat stones, the mix can run off in the oven...

Re: StonesNot sure what HO say's but I do not do this. Here is my reasoning...

While PC stones has super fine poores so normally the seasoning stays on the top layer, you do not want oil "soaking into the stone" this is what can cause cracks and yucky smelling stones.

Truthfully if you just do a batch or 2 of cookies especially chocchip or oatmeal you will get your stone off to a great start.

Thats just my .02$. I will not tell you that you CANNOT do this it is just MY choice.

Re: StonesCook bacon in the oven (400 degrees for about 30 minutes) on any stone with sides that you want to season. The fluted pan works best with the spray with flour.

Re: StonesI did that seasoning recipe for my fluted stone, but really didn't think it was any better than just brushing oil on it before using it. It's "seasoning" layer is just the same as other stones I've done with just using it. Really, I like how we can say that you don't have to do anything special to it. Just grease it and use it. Gradually, it will season. In the meantime, try to cook things with more fat content. Flat stones I used to do cookies and crescent rolls, rings, braids, etc.

Re: StonesMmmmmm I just started cooking bacon on the stone and I have to say it's a winner for so many reasons (here's where I begin to sound like a commercial)1. We like crispy bacon in my family, and this gets it
2. It cooks evenly, no crispy, soft fat sections
3. I don't have to baby sit it.
4. It makes having prepared bacon possible without a lot of effort.

etteluap70PC said:
Not sure what HO say's but I do not do this. Here is my reasoning...

While PC stones has super fine poores so normally the seasoning stays on the top layer, you do not want oil "soaking into the stone" this is what can cause cracks and yucky smelling stones.

Truthfully if you just do a batch or 2 of cookies especially chocchip or oatmeal you will get your stone off to a great start.

Thats just my .02$. I will not tell you that you CANNOT do this it is just MY choice.

Absolutely true...I just shared it because someone else posted it and I've come to realize that some customers prefer to have a one step "procedure" for things and this lady seems like one of them

Re: StonesI don't think it even does soak into the stone. Our stones don't do that, supposedly. ;)

Re: StonesHO does not recommend that as far as I know. The stoneware naturally seasons over time but you want to oil it the first few times and then with other things that don't create their own grease for a while.

Re: StonesSeal it? What is she talking about?I recommend that my customers cook high fat foods the first few times to get the seasoning started and beyond that, there is NOTHING that needs to be done. The seasoning takes time and there is no magic concoction that will have it done instantly. Occasionally, brushing lightly with oil (NO PAM--makes it sticky!) helps the food not stick if it's not high in fat and the stone is not well seasoned yet.

ButterflyVioletta said:
Mmmmmm I just started cooking bacon on the stone and I have to say it's a winner for so many reasons (here's where I begin to sound like a commercial)

1. We like crispy bacon in my family, and this gets it
2. It cooks evenly, no crispy, soft fat sections
3. I don't have to baby sit it.
4. It makes having prepared bacon possible without a lot of effort.

Hmmm, I haven't the greatest luck with the bacon. Seemed to take forever and still didn't get crispy, and after I made bacon a couple times in my LBP I've had sticky issues on the outside bottom of the pan. So now I make bacon on the stovetop and we make the pancakes in the LBP in the oven. Works much better for us that way... wish that I could get the bacon to work, but oh well....

Re: StonesI'm too lazy to season it....so I just let it become "non-stick" with time....

Also, with much time and use....the "oil/fat" will seep into the stone. Had a customer whose rectangular baker broke....she's had it for almost 10 years....you could see how penetrated the stone was....kind of cool to look at.

The pizza may have gotten "stuck" because some cheese slipped underneath....or there was some food particles left from a previous meal....make sure she scrapes really well after each use....non stick sprays can also create sticky residues.....all theories....I would just tell her not to worry and let her know "sealing" can be done, but isn't necessary. Make sure she isn't "sealing" like our parents had to do for wooden boards and cast iron skillets.

ChefPaulaB said:
Hmmm, I haven't the greatest luck with the bacon. Seemed to take forever and still didn't get crispy, and after I made bacon a couple times in my LBP I've had sticky issues on the outside bottom of the pan. So now I make bacon on the stovetop and we make the pancakes in the LBP in the oven. Works much better for us that way... wish that I could get the bacon to work, but oh well....

If it seems to seep thru to the bottom so it is sticky you have hairline cracks and need to get it replaced.

For sticky stones use a paset of baking soda a nd water. Works like a charm!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I'm too lazy to season it....so I just let it become "non-stick" with time....

Also, with much time and use....the "oil/fat" will seep into the stone. Had a customer whose rectangular baker broke....she's had it for almost 10 years....you could see how penetrated the stone was....kind of cool to look at.
The pizza may have gotten "stuck" because some cheese slipped underneath....or there was some food particles left from a previous meal....make sure she scrapes really well after each use....non stick sprays can also create sticky residues.....all theories....I would just tell her not to worry and let her know "sealing" can be done, but isn't necessary. Make sure she isn't "sealing" like our parents had to do for wooden boards and cast iron skillets.

This is actually not good...

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I'm too lazy to season it....so I just let it become "non-stick" with time....

This is caused from hairline fractures in the stoneware, it's not seeping in.

etteluap70PC said:
If it seems to seep thru to the bottom so it is sticky you have hairline cracks and need to get it replaced.

For sticky stones use a paset of baking soda a nd water. Works like a charm!

Okay, if this is the case, will I have to send the whole thing back? And will they need proof, I've only ever had to send back broken stones... not sure about doing one that is sticky on the bottom... and should I try the baking soda paste first to see if that's the case or not?

Jolie_Paradoxe said:

See, my director had a stone that was as old- it was nearly PURE BLACK. THe stone was broken, and on the inside, it was as clean and new-colored as a brand new stone. There were no signs of seepage anywhere. I've heard our stones do NOT absorb/soak in the juice/oils, etc- because that was one reason I've heard it's ok to have raw meat on them- since they don't absorb the raw meat juice. Time for me to check out the online training again and see if it says anything. :D

Re: Stones... but any raw meat juice would be cooked just as well as the meat itself!

Granted, you might not want *any* juices/oils sitting inside your stone over the years! :)

esavvymom said:
See, my director had a stone that was as old- it was nearly PURE BLACK. THe stone was broken, and on the inside, it was as clean and new-colored as a brand new stone. There were no signs of seepage anywhere. I've heard our stones do NOT absorb/soak in the juice/oils, etc- because that was one reason I've heard it's ok to have raw meat on them- since they don't absorb the raw meat juice. Time for me to check out the online training again and see if it says anything. :D

Esavvy, you are correct that the oils should not seep into the stone. So don't think you need to re-train! LOL According to the P.I.G. on CC, "Our Stoneware is made from the highest quality natural clay for durability. Stoneware is virtually non-porous, so it doesn’t absorb oils and odors, and does not require pre-soaking. Stoneware evenly distributes heat and draws moisture away from the surface of the pan, resulting in crispier crusts, juicier meats, even browning and lighter baked goods.

I just mentioned that a client's stone did have that seepage, and did not affect its use.

Also, I highly recommend you do not rely on my "knowledge".....I only learned about PC in Nov of last year! lol

Here is some of the info I have come across....course, it may not be accurate, so forgive me I mislead! :eek:

Q: I keep hearing about seasoning but I really don't understand it. Help!

A: With use, seasoning will naturally occur in Stoneware. Fats and oils are absorbed onto the surface of the stone. The seasoning forms a non-stick coating, making greasing almost obsolete.

Q: My Baking Stone is sticky. Why?

A: If a stone is over-oiled during the seasoning process, a sticky build-up can occur. This build-up can also cause food to stick to the stone. If this occurs, coat stone surface with a baking soda and water paste, let it sit for approximately 30 minutes and clean as usual.

Q: What is the correct seasoning process?

A: To start the seasoning process, simply use a vegetable oil spray for the three to five uses. Baking high fat content foods also helps with the natural seasoning process.

Q: Is it possible for stoneware to become saturated and not absorb any more fat or oil from foods onto its surface? Would this affect the baking quality if the stoneware were saturated?

A: The stoneware will gradually absorb fats and oils onto its surface to from a non-stick coating. The seasoning on the stoneware will not affect the baking quality. Moisture will still pass through a very seasoned stone and heat will continue to be distributed evenly.

: Why does dish soap leave a flavor but garlic and fish don't?

A: Soap or detergent works to actually form a bond with fats and oils. On our stoneware, fats and oils are part of the seasoning of the stone, so when you try to rinse the soap away, it has actually bonded to the surface seasoning making it difficult to remove. A soap taste may then exist during your next usage. When you bake food with strong odors and flavors, there is nothing in the food that binds to the stone or seasoning. Garlic, fish, onion, etc., are natural food products and do not adhere to the stone. That's why you can bake fish one night and cookies the next without having a "fishy" cookie taste.

Q: If I'm not using soap to clean my stone, then how can it be clean?

A: Soap does not kill bacteria. Soap (and detergent) when combined with water molecules penetrates the pores of food residue to soften it. This softening of food residue just makes it easier for the residue to be removed. Hot water alone makes oil and other food substances more fluid and therefore easier to dislodge, especially when used in combination with the nylon pan scraper. This rubbing action will effectively remove food residue.

1. How do I get started with using my new Pampered Chef products?

To get started with using your new Pampered Chef products, first make sure to read through the instruction manual that came with your product. This will give you important information on how to use and care for your product. You can also check out our website for recipe ideas and tips on how to use your product.

2. What if I have a problem with my product or need a replacement part?

If you have any issues with your product or need a replacement part, please contact our customer service team. They will be happy to assist you and make sure you have everything you need to use your product successfully.

3. Are Pampered Chef products dishwasher safe?

Most of our products are dishwasher safe, but it is always best to check the instruction manual or product information on our website to make sure. Some products may require hand washing for best results.

4. Can I host a Pampered Chef party and earn free products?

Yes, you can host a Pampered Chef party and earn free products! Our consultants will work with you to set up a party and help you earn rewards based on your sales. It's a fun and easy way to get together with friends and family while also getting some great products for your kitchen.

5. Do you offer any warranties on your products?

Yes, we offer a limited lifetime warranty on all of our products. If you experience any issues with your product due to defects in materials or workmanship, we will replace it for free. Please contact our customer service team for more information on our warranty policy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• beepampered
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
susan g
  • pampchefsarah
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • Chef Rei