• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Information About Attire...

And it will be later at night after everyone has been traveling all day... should be VERY interesting!

We're all going to be a little slap-happy! And I have a show scheduled the night before, too. :)

You know what...thats totally true about the apron/denim issue. They really need to come up with maybe a BLACK apron (with white lettering) for our apron. Seriously.

...I have to go shopping. Yesterday, I bought my first pair of high heels (yes, ever) for this conference. I'm a boot girl (wore them with skirts at leadership even on stage)

This is what my upline told me...

Put on what you are planning on wearing on stage...ya know the outfit that says "I am a TOP achiever"!!! THEN - look in the mirror...

If you wouldn't wear "THE ENTIRE THING" to that job interview - you have been waiting a lifetime for - "DON'T WEAR IT"

my .02

Another suggestion for those walking.... (please don't take this the wrong way) "NO" offense intended to the male gender -- BUT--

I am adding this ONLY because I personally experienced it happen at Leadership...

DON'T stand in line (within 5 people) of any man getting an award.

EVERYBODY in line is paying attention to them... (NOT that they don't deserve it.....!!! BUT dang it --- I'm Special!!:eek:

Those greeting you back stage sees THEM - greets THEM... shakes THEIR hand.. (they do shake yours as you pass by - while still acknowledging THEM)

Maybe I am overreacting - BUT - I did feel "SKIPPED" over a bit backstage... because of my order in line - the emphasis was on the few males who were walking...

I work in a professional job where women are to this day overlooked, so I guess I was a little put back when the men at leadership were being acknowledged MORE then the women....

OK... OK... I will stop whining.....

YOU - make your walk special.....

Uh yep I agree. I was shocked at how many people roared with applause at a guy walking across the stage at Leadership in a chef's coat and dark sunglasses. I mean not that he didn't deserve it, but good grief. In comparison, I felt like there were crickets chirping when I walked. LOL :rolleyes:

PCGINA said:
This is what my upline told me...

Put on what you are planning on wearing on stage...ya know the outfit that says "I am a TOP achiever"!!! THEN - look in the mirror...

If you wouldn't wear "THE ENTIRE THING" to that job interview - you have been waiting a lifetime for - "DON'T WEAR IT"

my .02

And take a moment to wave at yourself in the mirror. If your upper arms are waving back at you. . .you may wish to rethink the sleeves on your outfit. Just something my Cluster always notices. I know, it's not nice. . .:eek:

You can help reduce arm jiggle by holding your arm above your head, then only waving the portion from elbow to wrist.

My SD has us practice it so we'll all be ready to walk. :)

I ordered a new logo shirt from VIP and it just arrived! And I just realized that I am not supposed to wear it - it's denim! I was planning on wearing it over a nice tank ... with pants, of course! Maybe I'll wear it Sunday ...

Last edited:
MomToEli said:
I ordered a new logo shirt from Merrill and it just arrived! And I just realized that I am not supposed to wear it - it's denim! I was planning on wearing it over a nice tank ... with pants, of course! Maybe I'll wear it Sunday ...

No ones taking names, or is going to kick you out if you wear your shirt!;)

I think I dress appropriately for conference......but I also make sure I am comfortable - and I never feel "dressed up". I would consider a denim shirt over a nice Tank to be a "sweater" or "jacket". They will probably have denim shirts there for sale....at least VIP/AIM has always had them there in the past.

I agree. It's new, so it's still in good shape - not all ripped, stained and nasty. And if you wear it with a nice pair of khaki's or capris, you'll be perfectly presentable. As long as you aren't planning to wear it on stage.

Besides, technically most "denim" shirts are actually made of chambray, a lighter fabric that's related to denim.
(This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :) )

AND ... Ann, this is for you if you're reading ... AND it doesn't stink!

:D

I didn't think it would. Although, you ARE in Iowa. So it'll smell like pigs by the time Conference rolls around.

(JK! I went to college in IA, and that was the big joke in my family.)

I'm glad Home Office has given some guidelines on what is appropriate, in both circumstances. Last year was my first, and it would have helped. When I saw some of our PC folks looking like they were going on a picnic or worse, I was shocked. They looked out of place among the other business folks who where in the McCormick Center for other Conferences. Someone made the point that what is acceptable at home, may not be in the Chicago setting.

For what it is worth, remember if you "WALK", you will be looking at those pictures for a long time, and if you want to show them at your Shows, you'll want to look your best. Also, think about what is appropriate for your size. I'd love to wear a form fitting gown, as did some of the young and slim, but those days are past for me. We'll all be seeing your pictures in Consultants' News, so remember to SMILE!

Pampered Laura said:
I felt like there were crickets chirping when I walked. LOL :rolleyes:

Laura,

I was in the front row and I yelled for you!!! :D

chefjeanine said:
And take a moment to wave at yourself in the mirror. If your upper arms are waving back at you. . .you may wish to rethink the sleeves on your outfit. Just something my Cluster always notices. I know, it's not nice. . .:eek:

That's why I have 5 lb weights in my office and pick them up and do a set every time I get up. I'm not joking!!

Okay so this is my second conference.....most of my clothes are dress clothes... my husband laughs because I don't' have grungy clothes to clean in.... Heck I don't' even own a pair of old worn sweat pants.... I wore carpi's last year... minus the suit jacket that I bought that went with them... they were bought a Lane Bryant in their dressy section if you want to keep it nice looking just look for the dressier ones, for comfy dress shoes, I have two pairs of dansko shoes one is a sandle the other is a clog... I live in them...... I might have to get me a pair of crocks to add to my comfy shoe collection. their is my 2 cents worth....... take the time to look nice but be comfortable at the same time...

Found my dress!!!

http://media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/is/image/kohls/228189_Batik_Red?

I'm going to dress it up with some jewelry and heels and I'll feel like a million bucks!

That is elegant Deb....... I am sure you will look nice in it!

oohhh... purty...

DebbieJ said:
Found my dress!!!

I'm going to dress it up with some jewelry and heels and I'll feel like a million bucks!

DEBBIE! That's so funny! I just bought the same dress for a wedding next weekend! Imagine my surprise when I saw your dress!:D

I'm still looking for shoes though!

I worked in a church (actually two of them) until recently and in the warm weather it was perfectly suitable to wear capris so I consider them business casual but if you read the "get ready for national conference" email they specifically do not mention capris as an option. I really think that they want to make us look more professional at the conference. It's all that corporate thing that's going on. IMO

My wardrobe for conference is almost exclusively capris and a nice top.

exerpt from get ready for national conference email:
To help you pack for General Sessions and all Conference events, use this guide:

* Achievers walking across stage should wear business dress, such as pant or skirt suits, dresses, or suits and ties.
* Workshops and tours are business casual events. Women should wear slacks, skirts, jackets, sweater sets or summer dresses. Khakis and polo shirts are appropriate for men. Shorts and denim are not appropriate for women or men.
* Executive Director banquets are often more dressy occasions, so contact your Executive Director for details.

We can’t wait to see you in Chicago!

The Pampered Chef®

Well, you could argue that Capris are a type of slack, just shorter. :)

I've got too many things I want to wear, and not enough days at Conference! (Mostly because I have cute jewelry I made. :) )

BethCooks4U said:
I worked in a church (actually two of them) until recently and in the warm weather it was perfectly suitable to wear capris so I consider them business casual but if you read the "get ready for national conference" email they specifically do not mention capris as an option. I really think that they want to make us look more professional at the conference. It's all that corporate thing that's going on. IMOMy wardrobe for conference is almost exclusively capris and a nice top.exerpt from get ready for national conference email:
To help you pack for General Sessions and all Conference events, use this guide: * Achievers walking across stage should wear business dress, such as pant or skirt suits, dresses, or suits and ties.
* Workshops and tours are business casual events. Women should wear slacks, skirts, jackets, sweater sets or summer dresses. Khakis and polo shirts are appropriate for men. Shorts and denim are not appropriate for women or men.
* Executive Director banquets are often more dressy occasions, so contact your Executive Director for details.We can’t wait to see you in Chicago!The Pampered Chef®
The thing is, I have some capris that are much dressier than some skirts I wear......I have a really nice pair of white Capris that have a matching jacket - they are very dressy looking, and I think would be appropriate for any business casual occasion, but I also have a couple jean skirts, and a khaki skirt w/ a frayed fringe that I woudn't think appropriate for conference - some people will try to push the envelope no matter what the policy states, but I just have to go with what looks right to me (without investing a ton of money into new clothes!)

I am planning to wear capri's and slacks. With nice tops and cute shoes!

I finally found a pair of shoes to match my new ****tail dress for the Exec Dinner. They are the highest heels I've ever worn :eek: But, more importantly they are a beautiful shoe! DS was with me when I tried them on (he's 5) He asked me if I was going to buy them. I said, I don't know, they are very high-heels. He said, well mommy, they are very beautiful on your feet and I think you should get them :D . You will just have to practice walking in them around the house before you go on your trip.....SOLD! :p

So, I am practicing walking around the house in them so I don't look so clumsy.

pamperedlinda said:
DS was with me when I tried them on (he's 5) He asked me if I was going to buy them. I said, I don't know, they are very high-heels. He said, well mommy, they are very beautiful on your feet and I think you should get them :D . You will just have to practice walking in them around the house before you go on your trip.....SOLD! :p
Awww.... that's sooooo sweet! I'd say your son is a keeper!

DebbieJ said:
Found my dress!!!

Oh Deb I love lvoe love it!!!!
Where did you find it? It reminds me a bit of the dress that I have worn the last two years...but I am looking for something new for this year...and your dress is perfect! I am wave 2 so we wouldn't cross paths looking like twins...would you think I was weird if I bought the same one? (of course I'd first need you to tell me where ya got it - LOL)

Carolyn, if you look closer at the link, you'll see that it's at Kohl's department store.

ChefBeckyD said:
The thing is, I have some capris that are much dressier than some skirts I wear......I have a really nice pair of white Capris that have a matching jacket - they are very dressy looking, and I think would be appropriate for any business casual occasion, but I also have a couple jean skirts, and a khaki skirt w/ a frayed fringe that I woudn't think appropriate for conference - some people will try to push the envelope no matter what the policy states, but I just have to go with what looks right to me (without investing a ton of money into new clothes!)
I totally agree!!

chefann said:
Awww.... that's sooooo sweet! I'd say your son is a keeper!
Yes he is. And, he LOVES to shop! Now, if I can just get him to read size labels....he brings me clothes all the time when we are in the store....usually several sizes too small or too large!

My conference workshop wardrobe basically consists of dressy capri pants and tops. Not being much of an exerciser, I find that I'm boiling hot at conference walking the miles and miles to get from one class to another, and I'd never survive in slacks or a sweater. (I seriously walked over a half hour straight last year quickly to get to my next class! {downstairs to all the way in the back and downstairs of the other building... whewww, I'm tired just thinking about it!})

However, I do have one outfit that I wear to shows that will be coming with me that I love. It's a teal blue light sweater set that I wear with my floor length denim skirt, with heels. Now I know they said no denim, but darnit, this girl is on a budget and I'm wearing what I have and am comfortable in!!! :) (While still looking business casual approriate!)

p.s. I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing the evening dresses and dressy attire for those walking and being recognized!!!

*** And note about the tiaras and sashes... generally those wearing them don't have a choice, it's something their uplines have done special to recognize them and have made a big to do about. At least that's how it works in my cluster. I would have died before I told my Senior Director, "sorry but I don't think I'm going to wear this special thing that you spent time putting together for me, because I don't think I'd like what it looks like on stage! YIKES!

Ok so I also will be wearing Capris nice tops and a nice pair of comphy sandals I found (finally!!!)

I am having a bit of an issue with the Updated guidelines... I believe in all the suggestions for dressing nicer if you are being recognized but as far as the workshop guidelines here is my opinion.
I am a SAHM I spend most of my time chasing kids. My regular routine consists of home, grocery store, trips to other homes of moms with small kids and my PC shows. I have a few nicer yet casual summer outfits (not blue jeans) but they still work into my routine and I wear to my shows.

I feel like from the messages that have been sent that I am expected to go out and purchase clothes I would probably only wear for conference. Thats just not in my budget. Also if they want me to wear slacks and office clothes please do not have conference in the middle of summer. Last time I went I about melted due to the heat and humidity!

I just find it a little unfair to those of us who do not have cause to have this kind of atire in our every day lives

These are just my opinions and I feel much better now. Thanks all foe letting me vent.

OhmyDLM said:
*** And note about the tiaras and sashes... generally those wearing them don't have a choice, it's something their uplines have done special to recognize them and have made a big to do about. At least that's how it works in my cluster. I would have died before I told my Senior Director, "sorry but I don't think I'm going to wear this special thing that you spent time putting together for me, because I don't think I'd like what it looks like on stage! YIKES!

My director asked me if I would like a Tiara when(notice "when", not "if") I walk......I'm glad she asked! my answer was Definitely NOT!

Oh - and I think denim can be dressy w/ the right accessories!:D

The problem here is the same one that I encountered in High School. We had a dress code (not uniforms), that ws fairly restrictive. The problem was that the staff had to enforce the letter of the policy, even if something was worn in the correct spirit. For example, there was a "no flannel" clause, intended to eliminate ratty flannel shirts. My sister had a nice dress that just happened to be made of flannel. She couldn't wear it to school because she would have been sent to the office for dress code violation.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's impossible to spell out every possible piece of clothing that is or is not acceptable. We're adults, who can think about the intent of the suggested attire and make our own decisions. Yes, there will be some people there who get the "What was she thinking?" look, but on the whole, I think that people who go to conference with the intent of learning and becoming better businesspeople will dress appropriately.

chefann said:
Carolyn, if you look closer at the link, you'll see that it's at Kohl's department store.

Crud...we don't have Kohl's down here :(

They have internet shopping. Dresses are at http://www.kohls.com/main/subcategory.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=225230019&bmUID=1182518146261&showpage=0

chefann said:
I think that people who go to conference with the intent of learning and becoming better businesspeople will dress appropriately.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! And the more comfortable I feel, the more open to learning I am :) I'm getting so excited and all this talk about wardrobe makes me want to get packing LoL... but I know if I do, I'll just have to unpack to wear to shows etc... LoL

Ann,
which college did you attend in Iowa?

I also have the same dress from Kohl's took it on our cruise LOVE it!!
Teresa

Debbie, I love that dress! And I would be scared too Carolyn, to buy without trying on!

I do agree that it's tough to have to go out & buy new clothes just for conference, but I have it in my budget every year (plus I love getting a chance to go buy for ME, cause I never do!). For me, it's kinda fun to dress a little nicer. Not that I'm a slob! But I"m basically a stay at home mom too, usually wearing jeans & a t-shirt. And the 3 mornings I work at my family's biz (gas station/repair shop), it's the same attire. So, I look forward to feeling more "busines like" & dressing more like an adult! I found a couple really cute skirt outfits in Target for about $25-30, so I don't feel like it's a huge burden financially.
(totally off-topic....have any of you seen Sarah Jessica Parker's new line at Steve & Barry's?? I saw her on Oprah & can't wait to check it out! All things under $20! Loving that...except the nearest store to me is 2 1/2 hours away)
ok, end of highjack:)

dannyzmom said:
Crud...we don't have Kohl's down here :(

Carolyn,

I don't know how often you make it to the Disney area, but DH & I were there earlier this year. I saw a Kohl's in the new shopping areas they've been building (sorry, can't think of the street but DH probably knows if you are going up there). I LOVED Kohl's & couldn't believe they didn't have any when I lived in S Florida. But I did find that Macy's (the one I went to was in the Fashion Mall on University) had similar clothes & you could always find a coupon in the paper or nice clothes on clearance!

pamperedgirl3 said:
Carolyn,

I don't know how often you make it to the Disney area, but DH & I were there earlier this year. I saw a Kohl's in the new shopping areas they've been building (sorry, can't think of the street but DH probably knows if you are going up there). I LOVED Kohl's & couldn't believe they didn't have any when I lived in S Florida. But I did find that Macy's (the one I went to was in the Fashion Mall on University) had similar clothes & you could always find a coupon in the paper or nice clothes on clearance!

Hold on a minute ---- you were at the Fashion Mall on University and didn't come see me!?!??!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Here's my dress issue - I have worn the same dress on stage 2 years in a row so my pictures are starting to look stupid.

So I got a new dress a few months ago but have 2 issues with it...
1 - it may be a bit too dressy. It's rose chiffon, knee length
2 - it has buttons up th eback I'd beed help closing
oh wait - I have 3 issues with it...
3 - it's chiffon so I can't imagine how I am going to travel with it w/o it getting all wrinkled and crinkled.

I know they didn't specifically say that we couldn't wear capris, but they didn't specifically say we COULDN'T either! They mentioned shorts & denim, not capris. I agree with Ann that, as adults, we need to use our own judgment. I think those guidelines are mostly for people who have never been & have no idea how to dress.

I am pregnant & WILL NOT go out & buy new clothes just for conference. I have a really nice pair of black capris with a dressy sleeveless top that I will be wearing one of the days. I'm going to borrow my sister's clothes that fit (she's having a baby the 1st day of conference) for the other two days & will probably try to squeeze my 6 month pregnant body in a regular dress for the executive dinner. I am also a SAHM & only dress nicely for church & shows. I don't fit into any of my normal pants & refuse to buy clothes I'm only going to wear once. But I will look nice.

dannyzmom said:
Hold on a minute ---- you were at the Fashion Mall on University and didn't come see me!?!??!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Not recently!!! It's where I used to shop when I lived there around 4 years ago. Of course I'd come see you if we were back in the area!:p

Teresa Lynn said:
Ann,
which college did you attend in Iowa?

I also have the same dress from Kohl's took it on our cruise LOVE it!!
Teresa
I went to Cornell College in Mt. Vernon. Little school, little town. (1200 students, 3000 residents - including the students!) They have a unique calendar there, which is what attracted me. Well, that and class size. Instead of semesters, they have blocks, which are 3 1/2 week sessions. You take 1 class each block, then have the final, a long weekend, and the next block starts the next week. With the exception of a few science and PE classes, the maximum class size is 25. There are no TA's, and some ridiculous percentage of the faculty hold doctoral degrees.

dannyzmom said:
Here's my dress issue - I have worn the same dress on stage 2 years in a row so my pictures are starting to look stupid.

So I got a new dress a few months ago but have 2 issues with it...
1 - it may be a bit too dressy. It's rose chiffon, knee length
2 - it has buttons up th eback I'd beed help closing
oh wait - I have 3 issues with it...
3 - it's chiffon so I can't imagine how I am going to travel with it w/o it getting all wrinkled and crinkled.
I think you should wear whatever you want to to walk across the stage! It's your moment. I also think that knee length makes it less dressy then floor length and you could hang it in the bathroom while you shower to steam it and if that's not enough they do provide irons at the hotels. As far as the buttons - that's what roommates are for!

pamperedgirl3 said:
Not recently!!! It's where I used to shop when I lived there around 4 years ago. Of course I'd come see you if we were back in the area!:p

you better!!!

Another one wearing capris here!

Whenever I attend something the first time my main question is "what to wear" (and if I just guess I am usually wrong). I think that PC is answering that question for many by giving the guidelines. I also think that we all agree that some people go way outside what would be deemed acceptable so they are nicely addressing that issue too with the guidelines.

I do feel that if they (corporate) had it their way we would all be in suits for the whole conference but I am sure they realize that for many of us that is not an option. Wear what you feel good in. Capris aren't mentioned either way and they fit in both casual and business (even dress sometimes) so I don't see that as an infringement but I would bet some of the managers would disagree.

I don't look good in anything I own (weight issue - lol) and my wardrobe is quite casual or too dressy - not much in between so I will wear the best of what I have (not the dressy) and deal. The main thing I am concerned about is shoes - I have foot and knee problems and it is impossible to find shoes that work for me (I do have a pair of crocks but they won't work for every day).

<h2>1. What should I wear to a meeting room?</h2><p>Light sweater for chilly meeting rooms and comfortable walking shoes are recommended attire.</p><h2>2. What is the dress code for workshops and tours?</h2><p>Workshops and tours are business casual events. Women should wear slacks, skirts, jackets, sweater sets or summer dresses. Men should wear dress pants and dress shirts. Shorts and denim are not appropriate for women or men.</p><h2>3. What should I wear when walking across stage as an achiever?</h2><p>Achievers walking across stage should wear business dress, such as pant or skirt suits, dresses, or suits and ties.</p><h2>4. What is the dress code for Executive Director banquets?</h2><p>Executive Director banquets are often more dressy occasions, but contact your Executive Director for details.</p><h2>5. Is it appropriate to wear evening dresses during the day at Pampered Chef events?</h2><p>Last year, some attendees were seen wearing evening dresses during the day. While it may be a personal preference, it is not a recommended attire for Pampered Chef events.</p>

1. What should I wear to a meeting room?

Light sweater for chilly meeting rooms and comfortable walking shoes are recommended attire.

2. What is the dress code for workshops and tours?

Workshops and tours are business casual events. Women should wear slacks, skirts, jackets, sweater sets or summer dresses. Men should wear dress pants and dress shirts. Shorts and denim are not appropriate for women or men.

3. What should I wear when walking across stage as an achiever?

Achievers walking across stage should wear business dress, such as pant or skirt suits, dresses, or suits and ties.

4. What is the dress code for Executive Director banquets?

Executive Director banquets are often more dressy occasions, but contact your Executive Director for details.

5. Is it appropriate to wear evening dresses during the day at Pampered Chef events?

Last year, some attendees were seen wearing evening dresses during the day. While it may be a personal preference, it is not a recommended attire for Pampered Chef events.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • dannyzmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • pampchefsarah