• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Networking Mixer Invite: Tips for Attending?

In summary, the speaker received a random email inviting them to a networking event at a tennis club, with a cost of $60 for 2.5 hours of networking and no selling products. They were unsure about this type of event and asked for advice. Others in the conversation expressed suspicion and suggested looking into the event further before committing. Some recommended checking out free networking groups like BNI or using meetup.com. The speaker also mentioned attending a local networking event with a motivational speaker for a lower cost. Another individual recommended BNI as a successful networking group with a one person per field policy. The speaker previously had success with a school fair and was invited to another event for free.
heat123
Silver Member
Hmm, I just got this random email from someone who picked up my card at the local car wash and invited me to a Social mixer for networking only at some tennis club? Have any of you participated in anything like this?
The cost is $60 for 2.5 hours of networking and not sellling product. Never really heard of or at least been to one of these?

Tips, suggestions, advice Thanks!

Do they have a name like BNI? Is there a website you can check out? I would look into it before shelling out the money.

$60 is VERY high if there is no meal involved. There are groups that get together and do this and they have time to introduce themselves and how they can help you, etc. and pass out business cards. Sometimes the price can be high for food as well as a speaker.

cmdtrgd said:
Do they have a name like BNI? Is there a website you can check out? I would look into it before shelling out the money.
No and No.
The invite just says : introduce your product or service
exposing the small businesses

heat123 said:
No and No.
The invite just says : introduce your product or service
exposing the small businesses

There's not a number you can call for more information about it? What about calling the actual place where it's being held to see if they know anything?

Yes, there is the contactee I can email back to but it's not apart of the BNI nor is there a website for this group is what I meant.

seems a little fishy to me......

Basically it sounds like you will be "paying" for leads. I'd be weary on this. Normally a group that charges a fee for networking will let you go check them out free before you commit.

finley1991 said:
Basically it sounds like you will be "paying" for leads. I'd be weary on this. Normally a group that charges a fee for networking will let you go check them out free before you commit.

That is what I was thinking. BNI regularly holds "mixers" (that isn't what they call them) for people to come and check them out. These are free, and you have an opportunity to hand out business cards and introduce yourself to many people before deciding if you want to join.

That seems fishy to me too. I've never heard of a networking group that charges 0$60 just for one night. i've heard of annual dues (which $60 would be a reasonable price for) but this seems weird. Check out meetup.com. I've become part of a couple networking groups through this. Sometimes there's a charge for something like dinner or to do a booth, but never just for networking. If you end up contacting the person, see what the $6o includes. I'd just be surprised that other people would participate in this!

It turns out I cannot attend even if I were interested, I am hosting a Passion party that night :).

But I did inquire to the contact person asking her some??? Maybe she will respond? Thanks for all your feedback!

I am going to a local networking meeting on 10/15, but it is thru my local networking group. 2 hour event, w/motivational speaker.

I'd be weary about paying that much money. You'd be better off doing a vendor event at a school or something for 1/2 that cost.

vwpamperedchef said:
I am going to a local networking meeting on 10/15, but it is thru my local networking group. 2 hour event, w/motivational speaker.

I'd be weary about paying that much money. You'd be better off doing a vendor event at a school or something for 1/2 that cost.
I actually did do a recent school fair for only $20 and got a couple orders and a booking from it! Plus I have my daughters Fall fest I was invited to participate in for FREE!

Not to hijack, but there are some business working groups that don't charge...the names are escaping me, but I'm sure someone on here knows them!

BniIf you're looking for a networking opportunity, I highly recommend BNI. I'm a previous member in my former life as a realtor and it was incredibly profitable for me. To find a chapter in your area, go to BNI.com, click on Find A Chapter then just drill down with your information. The great thing about a BNI chapter is that each one only allows one person from each field, so you're not competing with say, a tupperware consultant, but you may have Mary Kay. Most chapters will let you visit twice before deciding whether to join. Just call the chapter president listed on the website to confirm date, time and location. There is usually a small fee that covers meeting location and/or food served.

Good Luck
~Maria

1. What should I wear to a networking mixer?

It's important to dress professionally for a networking mixer. This doesn't necessarily mean a full suit, but avoid casual attire like jeans and t-shirts. Business casual attire, such as slacks and a button-down shirt, is appropriate for most networking events.

2. How should I introduce myself to others at a networking mixer?

When introducing yourself, make sure to have a firm handshake and maintain eye contact. Start by stating your name and your current position or company. You can also prepare a brief elevator pitch that highlights your skills and experience.

3. What should I bring to a networking mixer?

It's always a good idea to bring business cards with you to a networking mixer. These cards should include your name, job title, company name, and contact information. You may also want to bring a pen and notebook to take notes or exchange contact information with others.

4. How can I make the most out of a networking mixer?

Be proactive and approach people you don't know. Don't just stick with familiar faces or colleagues. Also, make sure to listen attentively and ask questions to show your interest. Follow up with people you've met after the event to stay connected.

5. Is it appropriate to talk about job opportunities at a networking mixer?

Networking mixers are a great place to make connections and learn about potential job opportunities. However, avoid being too direct or pushy about job prospects. Instead, focus on building relationships and exchanging information. If a job opportunity does come up in conversation, handle it professionally and follow up afterwards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LakesideMom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
gilliandanielle
  • AlowayFamily
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
reneenshelcook4u
  • koima