• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Ideas for Cooking Two Dishes at One Show?

In summary, the speaker has been asked to cook two dishes for a show, and although they are easy, they have never demoed two dishes at one show before. The speaker also mentions their usual routine of prepping and involving guests in the cooking process. They also mention offering a free show and only doing one recipe, and their experience with hosts providing unexpected ingredients or using different cooking tools. They also discuss their approach to getting guests to participate in the cooking process.
Chef_2_Four
I had a host for July return my phone call this morning....She wants me to cook two things, granted they are both easy, but still I have NEVER demo'd two things at one show! She doesn't even care that she has to buy the groceries for two, she was like that isn't a problem. I said ok but in my head i'm like oh crap!!! I will be making the chicken fajiata pizza and the strawberry amaretto pastries. Like I said both easy but I have never done that before! I guess I could cook the puff pastry while I am cooking the stuff on the stove. Oh, why! I am so not talented enough to double up like that!!!

Can you have one done by the time guests get there, so you still have only one to demo?

I always make 2 recipes at each show. I arrive at the show 1 hour prior to the start time and then pre-prep as much as I can. Then when guests start to arrive I get them involved using the products and finishing up at least 1 of the recipes. When the show starts I finish the other while I am talking and I get guests to use more products too. The last show I made Tuxedo Brownies and Strawberry Spinach Salad. So I had the brownie made and cooled by the time the guest arrived. I also had the filling prepared and asked a guest to use the Easy Accent to fill them. I had guest using the Salad and Berry Spinner on the spinach and the strawberries. And then it all comes together without any stress.

Does she want ANY 2 recipes or is she set on those two?

I've always had two recipes also. I try to have a make ahead and one I do in front of guests. I'm offering "free shows" and plan to only do one recipe because I'll be buying it.
Last night I tried to get the guests to come up and help, but no one wanted to help. Do you just ask someone directly to do this and that?

chefann said:
Can you have one done by the time guests get there, so you still have only one to demo?

I second this idea.

Next time you have a Host try to pressure you to do two? I say "I prepare only one recipe because I am really slow and I know you don't want me at your house all night." Then you could offer to provide her with a recipe that she could prepare for her guests.

chefjeanine said:
I second this idea.

Next time you have a Host try to pressure you to do two? I say "I prepare only one recipe because I am really slow and I know you don't want me at your house all night." Then you could offer to provide her with a recipe that she could prepare for her guests.
I had a host last night prepare dough for me ahead of time and I didn't ask her to bake it, but she did. She baked it on a rectangle stone that wasn't Pampered Chef! We laughed about it and used the other dough still in the frig and baked it on my stone. This same host gave me Kraft canned Parmesan Cheese (sprinkle cheese), and an entire bag of garlic bulbs (we only needed two cloves). I guess my hostess coaching needs to include a little more talking about the food!

If I do two recipes, one is usually done or almost done when I arrive. Of course, most of my shows are express shows anymore so I don't do much demoing. It's just too much to get ready at their house and makes our job look harder. I like the idea that I'm calm and relaxed as people come in, not working so hard. I have had hosts do a second recipe (or at least start it and I help them finish it when I get there). That way the prep is done, but when I get there they get to use some PC stuff they don't have.

JAE said:
I've always had two recipes also. I try to have a make ahead and one I do in front of guests. I'm offering "free shows" and plan to only do one recipe because I'll be buying it.
Last night I tried to get the guests to come up and help, but no one wanted to help. Do you just ask someone directly to do this and that?

I do. I've not had anyone refuse yet. Sometimes I ask is anyone wants to, but if they hesitate, I'll pick one out. I warn them upfront that this is audience participation - don't be shy!

I buy the ingredients for my host. If she has a good show or at least really tries, I consider it a gift. I won't just pay for them always b/c they do get compensated for it and I want to stay away from being a free caterer. I get to keep control over the ingredients though and save them from buying things that I won't use up like garlic when I always have it.

I can get people to help when it's a set up where they aren't really just sitting there staring at me. Many people don't like that (heck, many of us were iffy about the business b/c of being in front of people). However, if I am in a kitchen setting, with people milling around a bit (listening but not sitting and staring), I usually can get people to do it. Also, get the host to do it if you don't get volunteers. She knows everyone (not all of the guests do) and is being rewarded for a good show.

JAE said:
I had a host last night prepare dough for me ahead of time and I didn't ask her to bake it, but she did. She baked it on a rectangle stone that wasn't Pampered Chef! We laughed about it and used the other dough still in the frig and baked it on my stone. This same host gave me Kraft canned Parmesan Cheese (sprinkle cheese), and an entire bag of garlic bulbs (we only needed two cloves). I guess my hostess coaching needs to include a little more talking about the food!

I have learned to be VERY specific in my food instructions! One time, because my instructions said for ingredients to be "Washed and prepped" - the host had everything done! All of the chopping, slicing, and dicing......nothing left for me to do! We laughed, and it was an awesome party - but I felt bad that she had gone to soooo much extra work!

Also, I don't provide all of the ingredients for a show, but I usually bring some of the ingredients with me - if I think there may be an issue. For instance - if the recipe calls for Roma Tomatoes - I bring them......too many times I've gotten monster tomatoes, or tomatoes so over-ripe, they turn to juice in the UM.....if the recipe calls for basil or cilantro or parsley - I bring it - WAAAAY to easy for the host to buy the wrong thing.....or give me a jar of dried! And theGreen Can Parmesan Cheese thing! I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "That stuff's not cheese!"

Oh - and to answer the original question!:eek:

I will only do one recipe per collection - and that is what I tell my hosts. I tell them I want to show them and their guests the most amount of products and product collections that I can, and so I always make sure that one recipe demos stoneware, and the other either cookware or SA.........and then one recipe is pretty much done before the guests arrive.
But the difference may be that I don't give my hosts much of an option. I choose a couple of recipes and let them choose from what I am doing for the month/season. So for this month, I have done salsa & guac, w/ chips, and Strawberries & cinn. chips w/ Choc. Fondue. If they want something other than that, they can choose 7 layer Southwest Salad, or Strawberry Spinach Salad! (same dessert - and the dessert is made ahead and displayed in the rectangle chillzanne)

You bite your tongue about the cheese? I don't. Although, like I said, I don't usually have people buying my ingredients ANYMORE b/c of stuff like that. I also tell them, that I'm guilty. It's in my house too. Just CAN'T seem to keep my husband from buying it! Ick!! Also, you use more b/c there is very little flavor so it's more calories in the end!! Plus, having something in my house that never seems to go bad scares me.Boy, I'm full of opinions this morning. I must have a touch of the procrastination bug.

JAE said:

Most people won't volunteer - you have to get them up there! Or, this month I've just been passing around the bowl and salad choppers and having everyone chop up the salsa while I continue with my demo. And I have been bringing the salad spinner into the middle of the room and sitting on the floor with it and just have someone press it down. If you can't get them to come to you, go to them!

I actually forgot to even put the cheese on, and because the handle for the cheese grater doesn't fit in my drawer if it's attached to the grater, I took the grater w/o the handle. We wouldn't have been able to grate real parm. cheese, anyway. We did get quite a laugh and I did tease her about her lack of cooking knowledge all night (not in front of guests). She's a new friend, so we had fun!

I've had a couple shows where I'm actually using the table that the guests are sitting around. I like that much better than when I'm at the counter and they are all staring at me like I'm the lecturer and they are the students. Anyway, I'll have to add that to my host coaching - "I'd love to use the table".
Becky, I sent you an e-mail...
Did I hijack this thread? Sorry, April.
I think you could make much of the strawberry recipe ahead of time and finish it up while the other recipe is in the oven.

Jules711 said:
You bite your tongue about the cheese? I don't. Although, like I said, I don't usually have people buying my ingredients ANYMORE b/c of stuff like that. I also tell them, that I'm guilty. It's in my house too. Just CAN'T seem to keep my husband from buying it! Ick!! Also, you use more b/c there is very little flavor so it's more calories in the end!! Plus, having something in my house that never seems to go bad scares me.

Boy, I'm full of opinions this morning. I must have a touch of the procrastination bug.

I never seem to run out of opinions!:rolleyes:
My DH wouldn't even know where to find canned cheese - but he would probably know better anyway - the Kitchen is the one room of the house that I rule!!!

I grew up on "sprinkle cheese". PC introduced me to the real stuff.

Most times I bring a dessert. We're girls and love our sweets.
When I have done the pastries I bake the puff pastry at, whip the whipped cream, and do the orange peel at home before the show. At the show after I serve my other recipe I assemble the pastries, only slicing the stawberries in front of everyone.

I usually pick out the person or people who are the most vocal. Like last week I had a woman who was saying that the chopper was too small and she always prepares large amounts of food for big groups. So I told her I had the products for her... the Ultimate Mandoline... it was already set up to and I had her come up and cut cucumbers for the salad. Before the show starts and people are just milling about I just casually ask for "help". Rarely does anyone say no.

JAE said:
Did I hijack this thread? Sorry, April.
I think you could make much of the strawberry recipe ahead of time and finish it up while the other recipe is in the oven.

Not a problem!! When I make the chicken pizza, I have the hosts cut the chicken up and go ahead and cook it, so then I only have to worry about the veggies. I can make the puff pastry first, it doesn't take that long to bake. Thanks for all of the advice ladies!!!

I tell my hosts that I only do 1 recipe at the show because it makes the demo much more difficult and longer when we do more. Then I say that her guests will appreciate not being at a 4-5 hour demo =-) I tell my host that she is welcome to prepare as many additional dishes or have whatever extra food she would like on hand but that I will only be doing 1. This is your business and you are in control of what you do. We really need to get people out of the mindset that we are a catering show and more in the mindset that The Pampered Chef sells tools that make preparation quick and easy. As someone stated earlier, the longer and more complicated your show/recipes are, the lower your sales, bookings, and recruit leads will be. You want to have a show that is easy and fun, and one that people can see themselves doing. Prospective hosts are more likely to book if the show looks fast and easy, prospecitve consultants are more likely to join if they think that your job looks easy. People will actually start talking themselves out of buying things if your show goes over 1hr. Wise advice from my Director Paula Stapleton. She's been doing this biz for about 12 yrs. and I can only hope to be where she is in 12 yrs. If you have to do the 2nd recipe, do it ahead. Don't make your work too hard for yourself. Work smarter, not harder.

Christina, just an FYI- you can't put your PWS link in your signature. If you use ../websitename we'll all know what it means. (Don't want you getting in trouble with HO.)

April, if you are making strawberry amaretto pastries, why not make it ahead of time and have the guests put their dessert together themselves?

I did this at my last show: the pastries were cut in half, the filling in the Easy Accent Decorator, the orange zest & grated nuts were each in a prep bowl [you could have them grate their own too], and fresh strawberries were washed and in the SA medium bowl. The guests had to core and slice their own strawberries and 'build' their own pastry! Everyone really seemed to enjoy it, especially using the EAD.

TwinGirlsMom said:
April, if you are making strawberry amaretto pastries, why not make it ahead of time and have the guests put their dessert together themselves?

I did this at my last show: the pastries were cut in half, the filling in the Easy Accent Decorator, the orange zest & grated nuts were each in a prep bowl [you could have them grate their own too], and fresh strawberries were washed and in the SA medium bowl. The guests had to core and slice their own strawberries and 'build' their own pastry! Everyone really seemed to enjoy it, especially using the EAD.

That is what I thought about doing! I plan on cooking the pastries when I get there because they can cook while I cut up and cook the veggies for the pizza!

Related to Need Ideas for Cooking Two Dishes at One Show?

1. What is the purpose of the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" product category?

The "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category is designed for versatile products that may not fit into a specific kitchen category, but are still useful and practical for everyday use. These products could be things like multi-purpose kitchen tools, unique gadgets, or miscellaneous items that don't have a designated home in the kitchen.

2. How do I know if a product belongs in the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category?

If you're unsure where a product should go in the kitchen, it's probably a good fit for the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category. These products are meant to be flexible and adaptable, so don't worry about categorizing them perfectly. Simply choose the category that seems most fitting and know that you can always find it in the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" section.

3. Are all products in the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category new or unique?

No, not all products in this category are new or unique. Some products may have multiple uses or functions, making them a good fit for this category. Additionally, some products may be older or discontinued items that are still available for purchase.

4. Can I find popular kitchen items in the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category?

While the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category is not specifically for popular or best-selling items, you may find some familiar products here. As mentioned before, this category is for versatile items that may not fit into a specific kitchen category, so you may come across some popular items that happen to fit this description.

5. How often are new products added to the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category?

New products are added to the "Not Sure Where to Put This!!!" category on a regular basis. Our team is always on the lookout for unique and useful kitchen items that may not fit into a specific category. So be sure to check back frequently to see what new products have been added!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Kearns
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rennea
  • DoxieMom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • cathyskitchen